Page 44 of 66 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1626
    After 30 plus years I finally made it back to Devils Head last weekend. That place is a trip. Soviet style hotel, hallways that go forever, old school bars, big hill but pretty flat. Our room must have been in the deluxe section, lofted ceilings and close to parking lot. It was clean and decent, contrary to reviews I have read. The hallways in that hotel by Saturday night though...lol. What a trip.

They have 4 newer very nice padded Dopplemyr quads, which is crazy, and contrary to the old school vibe oozing from every other resort pore. Unfortunately, they all move pretty slow for their length, and the best terrain sits on the far eastern side of the hill served by a lift that they never run. Which makes no sense. So you have to take the long ride to the top and enjoy the flat lead in, and push out back to the lift at the bottom.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230205_134526.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	446881

The bars are cool. They had 3 operational, one at the bottom of the race hill with a huge deck to watch the race or throw up off of.

Name:	20230204_084356.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	446885

I think it is also notable how affordable it was to stay slopeside on a relatively busy weekend. Bill for 2 nights was way under $300, and $26 dollar pizza with everything, $5 New Glarus cans the entire weekend.

Name:	20230204_220600.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	784.7 KB 
ID:	446882

Anyway, my girl won the two heat morning U14 GS race, and her time was good enough to be 9th overall on the big kids hill all age classes U14-U20 so we were really proud of her sending the shit out of those combined runs. These pics are from the next race, she made a big mistake on a middle gate, but still managed a U14 5th.

The straight south facing hill worked out fine for us.

Name:	20230204-IMG_4367.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	446878

Name:	20230204-IMG_4368.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	446879

Name:	20230204-IMG_4369.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	446880

Slalom the next day...brought this race dad back down to earth. She broke into the U14 top ten on one race at least.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 02-08-2023 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    That’s dope. And I need it. Maybe I can just call them someday and buy over the phone.
    PM your address and I will send you the hat plus some stickers.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

PM'd. And do the same, I'll send you a Zao package.

Quote Originally Posted by bio-smear View Post
    This is fuckin awesome.
    I have a very similar pic of me when I was 18 at Devils Head.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    I have a very similar pic of me when I was 18 at Devils Head.
    Post it up !

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Chestnut at sunset. No filter.

[ATTAcCH=CONFIG]447439[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230211_171921.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	447439  

I still can’t understand why my dad and uncle preferred sundown over chestnut BITD. Chestnut’s view, sunsets, terrain are 10x better

Wilmot was full sun this weekend. Chicago has been so gloomy this winter it was a revelation to be in the sun for six straight hours.
    Highlights included: meeting up with my cousin so our kids could shred together; the rope tow terrain park opening for the first time this the season; explaining to my kiddo how to ride a rope tow and watching the carnage that ensued; (If his weight wasn't far enough back at the start it was a straight up ejector seat out of his skis. He handled the early attempts well and was lapping the park by the end of it); finally sticking a few rails on my end after a 20-year hiatus in the park.

Anxiously biding time till this weekend, when we have a group of 26 people headed up to Whitecap in Upson, WI. It's the 14th year in a row we've made the trip. Just a solid random collection of friends who have the purest ski stoke and are ready to party. Best part is we have about 8 people who have first learned to ski on this trip and now keep coming back for more. I'll throw together a full TR once it's all over.

No pics, but had a PTO burner day today, and went down to Welch Village. It was OFF THE HOOK nice today! No wind, not a cloud in the sky, and around 40 degrees. Demo day as well, so I got to try out some of next year's Elans, and now I have that new set for '24 selected and waiting for availability!

Skied with BaconMeCrazy most of the day, which is always great! Thanks for the beer, El Jefe!
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Askel View Post

Kinda odd though, other than some tracks from snowmobiblers out joyriding, there was nothing going on there. No prep going on at all for the upcoming season. They have two weeks I guess, but I'm kind of worried about how this new management is going to work out. Especially since they probably could have opened this weekend.
    So I gotta say, despite my initial concerns about the new management at the porkies, they're doing a great job. It's maybe lost a little of that "ski hill run by skiers" vibe, but new management is doing all the things they need to do to keep the hill going just fine. It appears they've even spent a few bucks here and there. While it's not "new chairlift" money, little things like the filtered water bottle fill station they put in are much appreciated (the iron laced water that came out of the old drinking fountains was pretty gross).

The XC trails last weekend were better than I've seen them in years as well:

Ski in/ski out slopeside lodging continues to impress:

Will definitely resume buying a season pass there again next season.

In other news, this winter kinda sucks up here. All kinds of warm weather the last couple weeks, ~0.25" rain in the last 24 hours, and no major snow in the forecast. Base will probably hold on through this, but just barely.

That is great to hear Askel. We have new management at Chestnut this year also. Big learning curve. He seems to be doing okay so far, and he brought back Tuesday nights, I miss skiing on the regular with the old manager though.

We pulled through the hot spell down here and I think the rain came in lighter than forecasted. 4 to 7 inches predicted tonight. Fingers crossed.

Also, we signed up for the spring fling at LaCrosse, hopefully it happens this year.

Superbowl weekends are the best. Minimal lines on Saturday and ski on chairs on Sunday was earning big vertical in my tracker app, great snow.

My 12 yo girl was invited to forerun the college USCSA race this weekend since her coach set the gates, she ran it blind and smoked it pretty good. Those UW Madison kids etc have so much fun and they love the Apache venue.

In other news, my stepson is in Breck this weekend at the IFSA comp. He didn't get in because he has no points but is there with the Western Freeride team. He did get a spot at Eaglecrest AK comp March 1st and 2nd so we're stoked he gets to dip his toes if nothing else. He also got to ski with Drew Peterson this last Friday which about made his head explode - wrap up of that is on the latest Blister podcast.

Having lost my sister to suicide a few years ago, and having my stepson be a part of this, this one hit home, in a good way. Worth a listen.

https://blisterreview.com/podcasts/d...th-more-ep-247
    Last edited by uglymoney; 02-15-2023 at 11:10 AM.

https://perfectnorth.com/season-passes

Big changes coming to my favorite mole hill. New lift and a season pass agreement that will save me money in the long run. I bet they buy up another small area soon after Vail ruins some of the midwestern mole hills. Vails lack of understanding how to operate in these markets has been horrible for the small ski area patrons.

Minnesota maggot AxeBiker became an Honorary Cheesehead for the day by driving deep into the Northwoods to ski Christie Mountain with me. No one cared that he was on tele gear.

Lift tickets at Christie are only $20 on Fridays, but Axe is a cheapskate so he bummed my Buddy Pass and skied for free.

Several buses from area schools were there, it was like Warren Miller blooper footage. Gapers everywhere, one dude was holding onto a tree to keep from continuing to slide downhill. Jackets unzipped, no gloves, no goggles, we saw it all. The only people not standing around blocking the corral were the mooks blazing into the corral at 95mph in a pizza knocking over cones and getting tangled up in rope. It was f-ing hilarious watching all the action.

Axe turned to me and said “Harry, you are always running your mouth about being The Best Skier On The Mountain, but I think today that’s actually a true statement.” I was honored to hear that and immediately claimed 30,000 game of gnar points.

We continued hotlapping all over the mountain, laughing at gapers, laughing at ourselves, just having a good time.

Over parking lot beers in the sun, we made plans to meetup at Welch next month.

Skiing with friends, that’s what it’s all about.

Chestnut flavored bacon ftw...inspired by baconmecrazy?

The table/campstove combo are from https://www.voyageursoutdoorgear.com/ originally designed for BWCA but pretty sweet for compact car cooking also. Made in Minnesota.

Name:	20230218_125809.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	448251
    Last edited by uglymoney; 02-18-2023 at 06:47 PM.

Slope side bacon & eggs… and a Heineken. Rad pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Skiing with friends, that’s what it’s all about.
    ^^^THIS.

Always a pleasure to hang with you, Harry! It was really nice of them to run the Zamboni over the parking lot to make sure it was an insanely smooth slippery surface... Also nice to know that Midwest Mags absolutely ski MT Mags into the rubble... I thought that was a bold statement to make, but I guess when you know, you know!

Name:	IMG_9508.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	756.4 KB 
ID:	448364

Name:	IMG_9509.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1,015.9 KB 
ID:	448365
    Gravity. It's the law.

2019/2020 Midwest Stoke Thread

Tyrol today for the first time in a few years. My sister left from Ames at 4:30 in the morning after going out last night to come meet me. Awesome day hanging out with her before she starts the PCT in March.

Name:	Image1676861960.351758.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	376.2 KB 
ID:	448383

Slushy but still some coverage to get into the trees.I forgot how fun everything off the C chair is. One of these times I’ll get there with good snow.

Name:	IMG_3523.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	221.1 KB 
ID:	448382

Name:	Image1676862136.550453.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	214.5 KB 
ID:	448384

Hopefully a good fire season with all the snow could be challenging for her on the PCT! Super cool.

I think this map is wrong, but if it isn't, Welch gonna get the hammer.

Rain and maybe freezing rain at best down here, yikes.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Hopefully a good fire season with all the snow could be challenging for her on the PCT! Super cool.

I think this map is wrong, but if it isn't, Welch gonna get the hammer.

Rain and maybe freezing rain at best down here, yikes.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    Yeah - looking pretty FUCKIN NUTS in the Land of 10,000 Taxes the next few days! Might make traveling to Idaho this weekend a little challenging however... We're supposed to head out Friday afternoon to arrive Sunday (1600 miles), but if the wind gets sporty with this much snow...
    Gravity. It's the law.

Christie Mountain forecasted to get 18-24 inches Thursday, when they reopen Friday I’ll be ready with my Gunsmokes.

I'm hearing anything from 10 to 20+ up on the north end here (pretty sure I heard 3 different estimates on my half hour drive home from work last night...). I'm sure the kids will be itching to hit up Wild on Friday since they've got the day off of school.

I finally got some post collarbone break turns in this past weekend at Wild since the pre-xmas wreck. I'm not technically cleared by the surgeon to go yet, but f-that (can't go to Idaho in March on dead legs). I did take it easy and went poleless thought just to keep me from doing something stupid. Good to be back on the sticks, and the weekend was gorgeous (despite 8 buses of Blizzard kids being at the hill Sat/Sun). Really need to start taking some pictures though.

That ^^^ will make for an interesting Birkie -

I think I will go around Hayward on my way back U.p. north
    ( hwy70 east ( take the Park Falls shortcut east of Loretta ) to hwy13 worked last weekend...

I dropped-in to thank Harry and the rest of you magg.s who have "stoke"-d this thread -

The two rides I took with Harry in December are my only time on skis this season > the neck won't heal ( c5 and c6 are f*ed-up. "Neurosurgery" is mentioned.

Not yet --

I will work on this.
    ( it) sucks, though - a third season, Not skiing.

Thank You, Harry - and the others who have helped keep the dream alive... ( axe and ugly merit ' Special Mention' )

Rock On, Magg.s ! !!

respectfully. skiJ
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

You guys are killing it with the stoke. Happy to see all the pictures.

uglymoney that breakfast looked excellent. I try to remember a ziplock for pocket bacon if we ever have leftovers. Good way to make friends on the lift.

Harry let us know when you go to Welch. I’d like to be there. It will be a good time. I’ll bring food and beers.

Thanks for the beer and brat axe! Fun to ski the demos with you. Drive safe, see you in ID.

This storm looks to like a good one. I’m getting ready for round three on the driveway. Travel safe to all the chasers!

Yeah....the drive from MN to ID is looking to be "one for the ages" at this point. Yesterday, I was like "meh", but we got a good amount overnight, and now the wind is kicking in a bit more. SD is pretty much fucked from what I'm hearing, so I-94 & I-80 are looking like the alternates, as I-90 is gonna be a wreck. As baconmecrazy said the other night, slow-n-steady. Glad I have a truck this year...

That said, what a great way to extend winter a bit in the Midwest! LOTS of snow. And the melt is really gonna help the drought I think (hope!!).

Better get back to packing 80 hours of work into 4 days this week...
    Gravity. It's the law.

Also - some day I might figure out how to get these damn pictures to show up in the correct rotation...
    Gravity. It's the law.