Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Powder boards are completely unnecessary but when a little fresh falls they can be super fun and a nice change up. Was schralping all the runs that were grass the day before this weekend up at Trollhaugen. It snowed and blew all weekend so some fun shallow pockets.

I also pull them out in the spring when we get real slush. Last year that perfect slush never really developed because all the rain turned the snow into solid ice to the ground but some years pow skis on afternoon slush is a blast.

Ymmv.

Really sucked coming back to Iowa Sunday. Literally 5 miles south of the Minnesota border the snow is gone and it is just brown and wet. Minnesota enjoying full on winter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Here in southern WI, I like skiing on the same skis I bring out west. Which means I'm typically skiing on Praxis MVP at 110mm under foot. Overkill for the ice, but I like getting to know how the skis feel when conditions suck.

If I'm not on the Praxis, something with metal, around 95-100mm waist. Beer league skis are around 65mm waist.

Anyone want to session Tyrol sometime?

Went out for a few laps at Spirit Mt. today. News is they are almost broke, like can't make payroll broke. They are begging the city for a bailout of $250,000 to make it thru the holidays. The hill is city owned, so they haven't done anything right. The place was packed and they had the main chalet closed, as in locked up tight. One of five lifts running with good snow coverage, to save $$.
    Their hours are all over the place, opening sometimes at 9, sometimes at 10 and sometimes at noon, and sometimes they dont open at all. Closing times vary like opening times. Kinda sorry I just gave them $840 for two passes.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

It looks like winter weather (temps) will finally arrive here tomorrow night and allow Chestnut, Wilmot, Devil's Head, etc to get their snow guns on full blast. It's much needed. That arctic blast three weeks ago was such a tease.

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Bum View Post
    It looks like winter weather (temps) will finally arrive here tomorrow night and allow Chestnut, Wilmot, Devil's Head, etc to get their snow guns on full blast. It's much needed. That arctic blast three weeks ago was such a tease.
    Yes sir. Mother nature finally delivering. Next weekend should be good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

UP getting dumped on again, crazy, they'll be at like 80" to date if not more by this weekend with more storms and cold windy lake effect next week.

Looks like Chestnut this weekend won't happen, will have to delay my first day out another week. Going around the 22nd, then again a week later, then up to the UP (Whitecap and Powderhorn) for some good ol' fashioned skiing in the north woods just after NYE. Memories of when I was kid, now I'm the one taking my kids back to my old stomping grounds, couldn't be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by bushman View Post
    Went out for a few laps at Spirit Mt. today. News is they are almost broke, like can't make payroll broke. They are begging the city for a bailout of $250,000 to make it thru the holidays. The hill is city owned, so they haven't done anything right. The place was packed and they had the main chalet closed, as in locked up tight. One of five lifts running with good snow coverage, to save $$.
    Their hours are all over the place, opening sometimes at 9, sometimes at 10 and sometimes at noon, and sometimes they dont open at all. Closing times vary like opening times. Kinda sorry I just gave them $840 for two passes.
    Bailout approved, but how long can they bleed red ink to the tune of half a million dollars a year?

http://m.startribune.com/duluth-s-sp...les/565992721/

Well, its 45 years and counting, so probably a while longer.

Well, its 45 years and counting, so probably a while longer.
    Respectfully, bushman, I don't believe Spirit mountain has received hundreds of thousands of dollars annually for 45 years

( I believe that developed in the 1990s...

but the Alpine coaster and the zip line and the new chalet are certainly 'good money after Bad money' ...

( and Giants Ridge is now owned by the Sate ( - with their new chalet and new high-speed lifts... ))

it's too bad there aren't guys like Tony Wise and George Nelson around anymore. . . - But it is a different world today...

Spirit mountain is dead.

in two more generations it will either be a Bike Park or home sites or (likely) both...

when a snowmobile race(s) is cancelled in minnie-soda because of a (literally) "blizzard"
    I believe we have clinical evidence the apocalypse is upon us.

tj
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

Brutal.
    Sounds like my home hill, specifically the goofy hours and only one lift running.

Ours is privately owned, but may as well be the city because it’s an uninvolved party with no ties to the sport and likely not a lot of ability or willingness to manage things for the good of the sport and grow a thriving ski culture in the community.

I hope they get their shit together. Skied there years ago, when the high speed quad was brand new. Were they not the first ski area in the midwest to get an HSQ? So like 1988? Help me out. I remember the place seemed really, really, flat. But amazing views. And we were kids, had a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Bum View Post
    UP getting dumped on again, crazy, they'll be at like 80" to date if not more by this weekend with more storms and cold windy lake effect next week.

Looks like Chestnut this weekend won't happen, will have to delay my first day out another week. Going around the 22nd, then again a week later, then up to the UP (Whitecap and Powderhorn) for some good ol' fashioned skiing in the north woods just after NYE. Memories of when I was kid, now I'm the one taking my kids back to my old stomping grounds, couldn't be happier.
    I sleeved the output chute on my blower with plastic-sled material so I could get a higher/farther throw because my banks are up to the roof in spots.

Making good friends with the new bar that opened next door to my house (I know right?) because their plow guy sheared all 5 lug studs off his front hub, so I saved the day with the monster truck and played the Simpsons mr. plow/plow king songs for the guy and rescued his foul mood.

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    Respectfully, bushman, I don't believe Spirit mountain has received hundreds of thousands of dollars annually for 45 years

( I believe that developed in the 1990s...

but the Alpine coaster and the zip line and the new chalet are certainly 'good money after Bad money' ...

( and Giants Ridge is now owned by the Sate ( - with their new chalet and new high-speed lifts... ))

it's too bad there aren't guys like Tony Wise and George Nelson around anymore. . . - But it is a different world today...

Spirit mountain is dead.

in two more generations it will either be a Bike Park or home sites or (likely) both...

when a snowmobile race(s) is cancelled in minnie-soda because of a (literally) "blizzard"
    I believe we have clinical evidence the apocalypse is upon us.

tj

I'm sorry you don't believe that, but they do. So do the golf courses. Its aleady a bike park, with lift service. Houses will never be built there for a lot of differnt reasons.

I'm sorry you don't believe that, but they do. So do the golf courses. Its aleady a bike park, with lift service. Houses will never be built there for a lot of differnt reasons.

yes, they do - now.

I believe the annual cash subsidy is, ,,, has not been going on for 45 years

( I remember the outrage when it first occurred. ) and If the cancellation of a snowmobile race(s) is the demise of a ski hill, the ski hill's "business plan ( / business model ) " is ( Wacked ) .

I remember something that was supposed to be Funny ( - I think ) about

How to end up with A million dollars . . .

Start with Two million dollars...

' it's already a Bike Park '

let's go skiing... tj

Anybody else heard rumors of Snowcrest in Sommerset, WI reopening? Apparently they've begun clearing the overgrown trails.

This is a FB post by St. Croix National Golf and Event Center...

"If we re-build this, will they come?

We are getting closer than ever to re-open as we have logged the evasive trees to discover the hills once again. It is breathtaking and larger than we expected.
    To reopen the hills is no small undertaking and are currently reviewing the feasibility. Our tagline for the golf course is "It Takes Balls to Play Here" and frankly, it will take a lot of balls to re-open.
    The goal is to provide year round sport activities and have begun that journey with golf simulators and boot-hockey. The dream to have Alpine, Tubing and Snowboarding is coming closer and if possible, a soft opening for 2020/21.
    We do need support from the community (all year) to get the ball rolling to build this. Yes, the pun was intended"

I had not heard this, but it would be cool! I grew up on those hills and remember skiing there when it was named Ski Mac.

I think there is a Facebook page called, I skied Snowcrest/Birch Park with a bunch of old content on it.

This is where I have been seeing the rumors. There are also recent photos of them reclearing the runs.

I grew up skiing Birch Park and Snowcrest, and would love to have a chance to ski it again.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I hope they get their shit together. Skied there years ago, when the high speed quad was brand new. Were they not the first ski area in the midwest to get an HSQ? So like 1988? Help me out. I remember the place seemed really, really, flat. But amazing views. And we were kids, had a great time.
    They replaced the HSQ a couple of years ago with a updated HSQ with a bike rack. The main lodge looks a little rough due to lack of maint. and paint, but it was open yesterday.

I might have to drive over to Snowcrest tomorrow and see what they've done. I instructed there in the late seventies/early eighties. Good times.

I worked with a guy named Matt T. at Birch Park.....

Quote Originally Posted by GSinister View Post
    I might have to drive over to Snowcrest tomorrow and see what they've done. I instructed there in the late seventies/early eighties. Good times.
    You know Alan and Carol W.?

I knew an Al H..... My memory isn't what it used to be though. I was having trouble remembering a lot of people on that facebook page. Crow was my older brother, he instructed at both Snowcrest and Birch Park also.

Al and Carol instructed at both places; they were my great uncle and aunt. Used to take me skiing there a lot as a kid in the mid-late 70’s.

I assumed both places were overrun with housing by now.