Page 20 of 65 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I want to drive that one in the SW Region called Big Poppa and blast this song.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

2019/2020 Midwest Stoke Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I want to drive that one in the SW Region called Big Poppa and blast this song.

Clearopathtra? The Big Leplowski? Some good shit there. The UP kind of phoned it in, though.
    Last edited by Mustonen; 01-12-2022 at 06:26 PM.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by goolick View Post
    Anyone ever ski at Wilmot? I am aware it is a tiny place with a vertical drop that I am embarrassed to even type, but for someone who 1. has an epic pass (i.e. no cost to ski there), 2. lives an hour away, 3. just wants to ski park, is it adequate?
    I went once with a coworker. No vert and no trees separating runs so everything is just sort of straight down with different topography.

They do have rails from Park City/keystone etc. but the park setup itself is pretty standard from what I remember.

Worth going if you have the epic pass and can ski for free, but I wouldn’t buy a lift ticket there.

Like most Vail owned hills around the country, they have a fraction of what the local competition has open right now.

All that said, I have an epic pass and a Chicago friend is going there Saturday so I’ll drive down and meet him lol

Anyone ever ski at Wilmot? I am aware it is a tiny place with a vertical drop that I am embarrassed to even type, but for someone who 1. has an epic pass (i.e. no cost to ski there), 2. lives an hour away, 3. just wants to ski park, is it adequate?
    You only need about 15' vert for a park, right?

I patrol at a nordic area, and there's a bunny hill and little terrain park there - hardly any vert - but that rope tow is busy AF every night. Park rats aren't worried about vert...
    Gravity. It's the law.

Michigan avalanche.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1642108203.859813.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	218.2 KB 
ID:	401032Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1642108216.747434.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	265.2 KB 
ID:	401033
    focus.

So glad to see this thread. My wife, two young girls, and I moved from NW Oregon to NE Minnesota this summer. It's been quite an adventure for all of us, but one upside is that we're actually skiing this year. After having kids in 2015 shit was so brutal that the only skiing I got in 7 years was during the snowpocalypse in Portland and I skinned to the top of the 500 foot butte in our neighborhood to rip some turns down the steep streets and into my driveway.

Anyway, we're up here now outside Eveleth and have been hitting Giant's Ridge, but thus far 100% of my skiing has been teaching my 4 and 6 year olds. After spending my 20's and 30's skiing the Cascades and Tahoe, this is super weird, but I love it. I bought some skinny sticks to XC across the frozen lake and play Kirk Douglas and it's seriously refreshing. Been learning to ice skate but I'm never gonna fit in with these hockey kids, lol.

Thanks @Harry for the heads up on this thread and I hope to see some of you if you're local.

It's a different thing here in the Midwaste, but we embrace the hell out of it...
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by bio-smear View Post
    we're up here now outside Eveleth
    I’ve been through that town a bunch of times but never stopped. My gramps was good friends with an old guy up in Ely, an author named Sigurd F. Olson, and I used to ride along for the day. I was only 6-7 y/o and Mrs Olson would give me cookies and milk in the kitchen before sending me out to play in the yard, while the two old men would smoke pipes and discuss literature in Mr Olson’s library. This would have been mid-1960s. Only later would I find out Mr Olson was famous.

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I’ve been through that town a bunch of times but never stopped. My gramps was good friends with an old guy up in Ely, an author named Sigurd F. Olson, and I used to ride along for the day. I was only 6-7 y/o and Mrs Olson would give me cookies and milk in the kitchen before sending me out to play in the yard, while the two old men would smoke pipes and discuss literature in Mr Olson’s library. This would have been mid-1960s. Only later would I find out Mr Olson was famous.

Olson was the spitting image of Dwight Eisenhower. That's pretty cool. There is some really interesting history up here. I think 90% of people are descendants of Scandinavian immigrants. The named on the headstones in the cemetery are all like Heikkinen and Heino and Suomi and Tuomi...it goes on. I think it's neat.

The park is pretty limited. Jumps are very small and all too easy to send to flat. Rails are ok, but you are getting 2 hits per lap at best. "The gully" is the only park open right now, which is definitely not worth the trip if it's the only section open. A few small boxes and basic rail or two. It's barely a beginner's park and swamped with people just skiing it.

If any Chestnut Mountain mags are around this weekend, I'll be invading from Chicago with the family.
    Haven't skied Chestnut since my jr racing days, so excited to return. Probably spend most my time with the 6 year old on the easy goers and the baby terrain park hits. Will be sporting some Bob Ross Jskis to represent the zen of the Midwest. Shout out if you see me.

Quote Originally Posted by GAPERsauraus REX View Post
    If any Chestnut Mountain mags are around this weekend, I'll be invading from Chicago with the family.
    Haven't skied Chestnut since my jr racing days, so excited to return. Probably spend most my time with the 6 year old on the easy goers and the baby terrain park hits. Will be sporting some Bob Ross Jskis to represent the zen of the Midwest. Shout out if you see me.
    Sorry for delayed response. Not at the Nut this weekend unfortunately. Have fun.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Christie Mountain on Saturday was awesome. Bluebird sky and very few people. Did 3 hours lift-served followed by 3 hours Nordic. Loving my new classic XC skis, I got the ones with an integrated skin instead of fishscales. Way faster.

Tomorrow my old friend AxeBiker is coming over from the brainpower state to show us cheeseheads how it’s done. I haven’t skied with him in 5 or 6 years. Great guy, looking forward to it.

Pics from today

Name:	Image1642307207.615049.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	401322

Name:	Image1642307243.319997.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	401323

Name:	Image1642307275.455967.jpg 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	401324

Name:	Image1642307378.777287.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	401325

Got a new desert camo jacket from Freeride Systems in honor of my 4 deployments to the Persian Gulf. N95 underneath that Buff.

Name:	Image1642307619.553130.jpg 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	401326

Tubing Park Stoke

Name:	Image1642307664.205510.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	401327

SkiJ - douche your box, tried to respond to your PM

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Thanks, Harry -

watching for your message -- skiJ

PM re-sent

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    thanks fer remindin a sometimes jaded totally aged utardian
    where he came from and cut his ski teeth at
    skied a good bit of clipped wicket wilmonts and majestics
    im just gonna leave this for the mayor of midwest stokes
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

^^ FKNA !!

Awesome Midwest Stoke with that pin.

I’ll be up at chestnut around 5 tonight and a couple hours tomorrow am

Nice stoke all. Great pin Dibs

We’ve discovered Alpine Valley as a good spot for the family. The lessons have been good for our 4 and 6 year old girls

The last time I had been there before this year was July 1988 for the first night of Dead shows

RIP Stevie Ray Vaughn

Aggressive in my own mind

Anyone use the Epic Day Pass bonus days at Afton? Speaking of Afton, are they still having issues keeping stuff open?

Quote Originally Posted by ejj View Post
    Anyone use the Epic Day Pass bonus days at Afton? Speaking of Afton, are they still having issues keeping stuff open?
    I don't know the answer but I can't believe the Vail effect is also in place in the midwest. I was at Wilmot and there's all sorts of shit closed. Like why?

I don't know the answer but I can't believe the Vail effect is also in place in the midwest. I was at Wilmot and there's all sorts of shit closed. Like why?
    I can only speculate, and so to paraphrase what Cody and Jonathon talked about on Blister this last week Vail is a top heavy organization. This leaves a skeleton crew running the resorts so they don't have the kind of community relationships that allow them to pull people in. I know Chestnut has struggled this year as well but are finding a way. Race team moms working ticket windows etc.

Vail probably haven't given their managers the ability to be flexible with wages, benefits, etc. Plus so much comes down to relationships. When you sever those ties to become lean and mean during good times, the price is being paid during these twighlight zone never before seen times. Fucking MBA geniuses are hamstrung with their arrogance. The pricks at Harvard never saw this coming so all their disciples are just clawing chalk.

I've seen it with my own job. One chain I work with is owned by an out of town conglomerate run by MBA stuffed suits and they are barely open, sometimes closed. Next town, same chain with a local owner, staffing is a struggle but running near 100%. One old lady quit because they wouldn't buy her a salad cart. They gave her two weeks off and bought her the Rolls Royce of salad carts. She's back.

Last edited by uglymoney; 01-17-2022 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    Nice stoke all. Great pin Dibs

We’ve discovered Alpine Valley as a good spot for the family. The lessons have been good for our 4 and 6 year old girls

The last time I had been there before this year was July 1988 for the first night of Dead shows

RIP Stevie Ray Vaughn

Are you back in the midwest? Time for another brat fest on southpoint?

I saw this on FB today from AV. Omg.

Chestnut has barely had lines at all this year. Almost nothing on chair 3.

Alpine Valley today.

Yup. Thanks. That was a fun day at Chestnut. We haven’t seen it that crowded at AV. MLK weekend in effect!

Aggressive in my own mind