Page 81 of 89 FirstFirst ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 2210
    ^ I think some of those visitors are here to stay for the foreseeable future, snapping up real estate and putting little Gavin and Zoe in our school system.

It will be interesting to see, notably the Californians who have yet to experience any winter that lasts 6 months.

Article in the paper about how enrollment hasn't increased nearly as much as expected. Sounds like its a homeschool thing currently, with the transplants taking the current kids spots in actual school. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out next year.

I have family in CB, and their school absolutely exploded. Most of the locals seem to think it will be short lived after they get to experience 3 straight weeks of negative temps and go running back to covid filled Texas.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Any local mags need these? 25.5 Chochise 120, 2 seasons on them, functionally perfect. Intuition Luxury liners and booster straps. Only selling as I sized down to the same boot in a 24.5. These liners refuse to pack out which is odd for an intuition and have been cooked once. Din soles (tech fittings built into the boot). $100 or whatever gets them out of my garage as I move. In Drictor.

I may be interested? Do you have any idea if they are roomier than the Mach 1? I have Mach 1 in 26.5, with a tiny bit of extra room but not too bad.

I don't know TBH, the my GF lives in IF so I'm that direction a fair bit if you'd like to try them on sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Hope to ski with WMD next season on a mellow but choice day...
    Hell yeah! Let's do it!

I don't know TBH, the my GF lives in IF so I'm that direction a fair bit if you'd like to try them on sometime.
    I have to swing thru Driggs Sunday to drop the dogs off with Russ in Victor for the week on the way to pick up a friend in JH. I should be through there around 10:00. I’m also usually in IF once a week. Whatever works for you, but don’t hold on to them for me to try if you have other offers.

Trivia Question (from the mogul skiing is lame thread):

What year did they start grooming the egg cartons?
    . . .

I'd say the grooming started there in the winter of 92-93. Corky blasted those rocks out in the summer of 91, iirc;
    Him, Pops Barker, Dr. No and Jillson blew rock debris into the tram cables so we shut down for a few days to have the cables scoped. scratches and a few small, impregnated chips was all.

But the winter of 91-92 was brutally short at 252". I really doubt it had enough to groom that year.
    Matter of fact, I remember opening with thin cover down low.
    The tram would drop you at T3 or the summit and take you down from T3 as well.

Or you could ski down soli traverse and click out and pile into the back of a pickup and ride down from about the bottom of today's Teton lift.
    That was fun and Old Wes, the polish guy would boogie along driving while we partied on the down.

They don't even record it on the avalanche center records.
    (but I have a record of it from the official annual snowdepth chart , formerly in the pipechase room between the tram johns.)

I remember 93 as being a good year, 400+" and there was a lot of snow in town.
    I lived on Hansen with 7 other ski bums.
    Skied on my first proformed skis, a Kastle 'all-mountain'. Tangerine with grape sidewalls. Rocked my world.
    Pepi was a kastle guy from the Austrian olympic ski team so that was the company ski at jhsc until K2 barged in about 94. I skied k2 MSLs for a coupla years. Local hard guys skied Fischer RC4s, then volkl g4s. Doug got most of them onto k2 eventually.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fall is in full swing here, gorgeous as ever.

Still a lotta tourists, jezafuk. Cali and Texas, i see the most of, and waaaaay more tx than usual.

This valley will be quiet in a month and cold.

Suhweeeet...

I have no idea about the grooming year, but another fun egg cartons story I recall from my days working at Hoback sports was that the bamboo line between the egg cartons and Tower 3 was added and named "Hernando's National Forest" after he flew off the top of the egg cartons and cartwheeled down Tower 3 one day.
    Not that the bamboo line will stop you, but there was a picture of him catching huge vintage air off the egg cartons in the office so that was the tale associated with it
    skid luxury

I’d say the real grooming started when they cut bivouac freeway out of bivouac woods. The worst was clearing out Laramie.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Just saw a nice shot of LVS (good peeps) featuring some shiny iggys on the btcavy instapage. It’s from powder mag

That was fun and Old Wes, the polish guy would boogie along driving while we partied on the down.
    Old Wes is still kickin and living in downtown Driggs, he gave me his life story not long ago, its pretty wild. He finished medical school and residency in the Eastern block and was set to be a gynecologist. The Soviet's granted him leave to Italy before giving him his diploma and licensing him to practice figuring that would force him to come back. He bailed, bummed around the alps for a few years before moving to Jackson in the early days and working at the Village for like 35 years. Cool guy.

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    I have no idea about the grooming year, but another fun egg cartons story I recall from my days working at Hoback sports was that the bamboo line between the egg cartons and Tower 3 was added and named "Hernando's National Forest" after he flew off the top of the egg cartons and cartwheeled down Tower 3 one day.
    Not that the bamboo line will stop you, but there was a picture of him catching huge vintage air off the egg cartons in the office so that was the tale associated with it
    tower 9 chute.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I’d say the real grooming started when they cut bivouac freeway out of bivouac woods. The worst was clearing out Laramie.

No doubt, the hack n wack started up there, That was like 89-90 methinks. Took the tree islands out.
    I've always been on the fence about Laramie. Freeway is right. I call it I-85. The interstate between southern Wyoming and southern Montana. Not because it's crowded but because it's huge with a pitch to make men cry. Visibility is key and only the transition to worry about. Great runout for mach runs at +60mph.
    People still get fucked up on it. Dead.
    Love to watch a pointer from the quad, waiting for the carnage.

Old Wes is still kickin and living in downtown Driggs, he gave me his life story not long ago, its pretty wild. He finished medical school and residency in the Eastern block and was set to be a gynecologist. The Soviet's granted him leave to Italy before giving him his diploma and licensing him to practice figuring that would force him to come back. He bailed, bummed around the alps for a few years before moving to Jackson in the early days and working at the Village for like 35 years. Cool guy.
    That is great to know, thanks. Always nice to know an old friend, long gone is close and healthy. Polish folks are an impressive lot.

Stopped by the world headquarters over the weekend.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PH - yo, word up? Did you get one?

That's tough for folks but if ya snoozed, ya loozed.

Met an old worker friend this am and we talked about him still being on the fence regarding a pass. Bet he's outta luck now.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FY cat - dang, woulda liked to have said hi; we met and talked at SFB's shindig at the BBIUT magfest. I was right there this weekend too, gonna take a stoke pic then realized I forgot the camera.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Talked to an old schooler bud today, he says he's already booked with locals only for over 350 hrs. He's in the intro to The Continuum. Like, the first guy ever on tgr filmstock.
    The dirtwork on lower tramline has now reduced the long snaking gully into a big flat groomer run. They shoulda left it alone imo.

The pussification of Jackson Hole right there.

"The pussification of Jackson Hole right there".
    Hey DJ, that's one pussification I think I might welcome. Whenever I opt for a top-to-bottom run I usually finish in that zone and my couch potato legs are usually mashed at that point

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That's tough for folks but if ya snoozed, ya loozed.

Met an old worker friend this am and we talked about him still being on the fence regarding a pass. Bet he's outta luck now.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Talked to an old schooler bud today, he says he's already booked with locals only for over 350 hrs. He's in the intro to The Continuum. Like, the first guy ever on tgr filmstock.
    The dirtwork on lower tramline has now reduced the long snaking gully into a big flat groomer run. They shoulda left it alone imo.

The pussification of Jackson Hole right there.
    Glad I grabbed my pass when I did.

Its a good group of locals he has. They ski top to bottom with out stopping all day every day. Some days you are even lucky enough to catch a glimpse of them dropping into the bowl or meeting up at the tram.

I wonder if it will turn into a bumpy mess with less traffic this year. Guess there’s only one way to find out? That section of the hell has done more to teach me to double moguls and get really light on my feet over rocks then anywhere else on the mountain, never less the fairly quick run out you need to catch/beat the tram.

Just realized we probably won’t be racing the tram this winter, catching the same box again and again. Hum... that changes things a lot. Maybe I’ll slow down and enjoy the skiing instead of ripping around at mach nutty

'Tis the season for shameless promotion:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020poster 22.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	342681
    One last hurrah of bikes this Saturday. Free beer, tons of great raffle prizes, a shockingly challenging XC course, and a sweet Jump Jam. Also the titles of King and Queen of 5th Street are on the line.

Come party, come watch, it's gonna be a good time. Also the last year this will take place at the current venue since next year we've worked with the city to get grants to build a huge new jump area in the current abandoned BMX zone. So come rage!

You haven't been able to race trams since at least pre-ikon, but what a fun game.

Word on my street is the daily cap is going to be 7k. That is a lot of people if singles can say, "give me my own gondola cause I don't want covid".
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    You haven't been able to race trams since at least pre-ikon, but what a fun game.

Word on my street is the daily cap is going to be 7k. That is a lot of people if singles can say, "give me my own gondola cause I don't want covid".
    It was not that often but you could still do it on certain days. I had still been able to catch every box for at least one day a season up until last year. Two and three seasons ago this was after gaper day before closing day (hence why last season didn’t happen).

But I do agree with you, walk on trams for the most part are a thing of the past. And it’s a damn shame too, cause it was one of my favorite parts of skiing the village

My best was six in a row one day. On the sixth I nailed a rock in the bowl, pulled into tram dock in time for the next but a three inch piece of edge was gone! Fun day, after the third tram I noticed two othersvplaying the game too. No words exchanged, just knowing nods as the game progressed 🤘🤘.ä
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post

On the most colossal of all goatfuck days last winter it was estimated to be around 10k on the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    My best was six in a row one day. On the sixth I nailed a rock in the bowl, pulled into tram dock in time for the next but a three inch piece of edge was gone! Fun day, after the third tram I noticed two othersvplaying the game too. No words exchanged, just knowing nods as the game progressed
    You always know who is with you and nothing more then a nod is needed.

It’s a fun game

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    On the most colossal of all goatfuck days last winter it was estimated to be around 10k on the mountain.
    Yup. My personal estimate for max capacity at the vill is 7-8.5k skiers. Those few 10k days were wrong on so many levels. Slamming the skier experience of JH into reverse gear.
    I'd prefer this winter would be in the 3-4k range 60% of the time, 4-5k 30% and 5-6k for the holiday/10% of days.
    And even the thought of allowing 5k over the Christmas Holidays makes me shudder, that's still a shitload of peeps down there before opening.
    I hope they snake the lines so far in crazy directions, it'll be so visually alarming...

Quote Originally Posted by eagleskier View Post
    "The pussification of Jackson Hole right there".
    Hey DJ, that's one pussification I think I might welcome. Whenever I opt for a top-to-bottom run I usually finish in that zone and my couch potato legs are usually mashed at that point

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Puhleeze, says you. You kick around the vill just fine for a vintage such as you are.
    and then go ski a peak or two in the Tetons proper in the summer.
    heh, yeah.

More precisely, it's the P of TV.
    Things like smoothing the egg cartons, blasting out the rock band in Laramie or overlogging Bivy woods, grooming a road thru Tensleep bowl to the cirque, installing the bridger gondy or even when they put in the Quad, Sublette.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ah, the Tram, my love.
    We had a rough season last year. I only rode her 20 times iirc. It's usually probably a few hundo. Recovering from ACL/meniscus surgery, 7 months prior, kept us apart except for the softest of days; Of which I had about 15 deep First trax for a gimp days.
    There's tram laps. And then there's catch the same box tram laps. Car 1 for hours , 3 loops per hour. It doesn't go any faster.
    Racing the box laps are for fast days. Fast groomers early, fast lower face crud skiing when the sun cracks the eggshell.
    Tram laps are for sleeper, fill in your tracks days. Go the speed mother nature tells you, and with any luck, you roll into the base area with the car just at tower 1 and there's no line ahead of you. The tram op is sitting there saying, hurry up, catch this box.
    Slower tram laps are also best for casual ski days with outta town friends. It gives a big rest after a lap...

Both scenarios become more rarified by the season. Maybe that would come back slightly with no ikon. A step in the right direction, if they're even considering bailing post contract.

Some days you ski one tram. And it's a walk on fo sho.
    Foggy on top. Frozen ocean of scraggly 3 ft harbor chop. It sketches the wary local and teaches the confident tourist their boundary.

Other days, it's a blowing sideways wednesday and about 400 people are skiing and you might see 100 of them ever. Snowing intensely, blowing between 30-50 and your praying things blow down except for the tram. Some weatherproof rippers braving Sublette and Thunder, skiing blown in kneedeep treedrifts in the alta chutes, liquor cabinet, T3 chute, mushroom shoots. You float beneath the lift and see 4 people riding chairs. They're all watching you hooting away.

T.I.T.S. - This Is Tram Skiing