Page 3 of 89 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I think it was '94 and they had this sign out mechanism, so we signed out and did 4 shadows, cody bowl from the top, Green River, watched boarders shoot the closet slots on noname, then Rock Springs and traversed out and got BUSTED and shaken down by some massive asshole patrol right at the bottom feeder from S. Hoback to the poma.

Never went back.

Before the Sublette quad, we used to skate from the top of Thunder around to hit Bird in the Hand, Cherry Slide, Alta Chutes, Pepis, etc, all barely skied ever.
    Then please, allow me and your other brothers and sisters here make it up to you. Having skied the side and back country extensively both then and now, I bet I could wipe all that bad scene memory away.
    ~~~~~~~~~
    For us, initially the boundary poaching was not at all uncomfortable but as a few jerky trollers ascended the ranks, the hassling became real. We pushed back, harder than the few D-bags and eventually got the ropeline issue dropped. '94 was the height of the pitched battle.

I go out when I want, where I want. I try not to antagonize them, but it's no longer in their bailiwick. I do avoid skiing closed areas inbounds these days. That puts me in the wrong and I'd get little or no mercy for that. Nor should I.
    If I don't know better by now, It ain't gonna sink in.
    - OTOH, skiing Unskiable chute about 4:20 is a thing, if rare...

In fact, now I tend to correct them if possible on where their opinion loses any weight. Honestly, the majority are cool with that. They respect mileage and local knowledge more than hubris.

I don't ask for mercy. I Know better. Just take it on the chin and roll. ~~
    ~~~~~~~~

The 'C Pass' traverse. Damn that dates you. That would be pre-quad days, (Sublette chair).
    You could buy a pass that did not include the Tram back then so everyone cut up and over to the goods via the CpassT.

Sublette Ridge - From the summit to the Base, One of the longest expert runs in the country, easily. 4K vert on phenomenal terrain. Most people never go the distance because of all the 2 diamond options on Pepi's ridge section( Alta chutes, Birdinhand/2innabush, Liquor cabinets).
    It's actually Sherrie's slide but I'm calling it Cherry slide from now on.
    So much better... My friends are gonna look at me with a WTF? face fo sho.
    Christ, I'm hard pressed to remember half the names anyway. Pick any 5 acres and I can show you the Tittaaaaayz line. But I couldn't name shite there.
    The NKOTB's could though. They gots a name for every rock and gully these days.

RS was pretty damn sick last Feb. Flashing back just now. Thinking on the SirVic Slide. If yer willing to ride the slide, go fall line not across, heh. My favorite GUARANTEED slideshow.

RS was pretty damn sick last Feb. Flashing back just now. Thinking on the SirVic Slide. If yer willing to ride the slide, go fall line not across, heh. My favorite GUARANTEED slideshow.[/QUOTE]

Skiing by myself, "moderate" risk that day...
    Fortunate the terrain mellowed out or I could've been in for a long ride.

Lesson Learned
    You ain't as bad ass as you think kid.
    Pops was riding with me.
    Have to go back out and pay my respects

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Alright, Alright, Alright!

It's time for a new thread, like a Yearbook for each season.

With any luck, a multitude of you TGR maggots will be swinging through the Motherland this winter.
    I hope you shout out to some locals here as there are quite few who really dig showing others the hill and all it has to offer.

Skiing at The Vill is often more of a chess game rather than checkers. The angle of attack on any given day requires consideration of a multitude of variables: snow conditions, anticipated crowd size, lift opening timing yada yada.

This will be my 30th year here and it's still a challenge to nail it on the big days. I'm still the rare guy who beats the workers and stands in the dark by the Tram, debating where to start.

And for this assessment, one can have the single greatest run of their life. Over 4000 vert of untracked Blower, is fairly common if you're willing to get after it.
    And if you're gonna go thru all the caca to get here - Do not sleep in. You will regret that approach.

Rule # 1 - Get in front of the crowd. Bust out laps as strategically as possible.
    Rule # 2 - Don't let the massive line before opening freak you out. The lift system here can move a shitton of skiers in short order.
    Rule # 3 - Locals are polite, if not patient. We will talk your ear off if the vibe is right, maybe even show you the special places, our treat. If you're slow, that's ok, we'll wait or we won't.
    Rule # 4 - Skiing together really only means riding the lift together. Decide where point 'B' is and ski there (i.e. Thunder chair). We may not choose the same line, but let's ride up and have fun. Do it again.
    Rule # 5 - On the Chair. The majority here puts the bar down. If you pull it down too quick and hit a noggin, crunch an arm or rack the nuts next to you, it will get loud and rowdy real quick. Bet on it.
    Like, more aggressive than one would expect. Arguably the biggest faux pas.
    Rule # 6 - DO NOT assume you're the fastest, bestest skier out there. That's a recipe for disaster. Look uphill is a real thing here.
    ~~~~~~~~

There are a ton of extremely high caliber skiers here. All ages too. Very few of them are uncool. That's how we roll.

I always say - ' In a big snow year for the states, we are usually in the top 5 for season total snowfall ( competing often with AltaBird, Whistler, Tahoe areas) and in a low season, we almost always have more'. My 2nd year here we got 252", the least I've ever seen. I've had about 5-7 600" seasons. All very different.

I hope for the best, and plan for the worst. But truth be told, I'm always happy with whatever happens. I ski a lot. I am one of the luckiest guys on this forum.

I look forward to skiing with all the local and visiting mags this winter. Last year I started connecting with youse peeps at 11 @ Casper restaurant, mid mountain. Gonna be the default from now on.

Ski season opens here the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I'll be there with bells on; and my mega knee brace.

Already have a few mags lined up for Good Times;

But what about you? Are you gonna come and get some this year?
    hey, Dj and brotherhood ( including sisterhood ) ...

' want to pop ( bump ) your Op near the top of Page Three --
    You 've got some great (stuff) here that shouldN't get lost...
    ( This looks likely to be the teton thread for the season... )

I don't know that I have much to add, Except Maybe(,) take care of that knee, Dj --
    When it tells you, it needs Rest, try to go with ease : We want to Be skiing in March --

Opening day, hell : I need to be skiing soft snow in (January, and) February and March ... ! !!

. ... the other thing I could add, IS,

Please Be Safe out there --

New batteries. ... ! !!!

from what I have read, Early season snowpack is often Not the most stable --

dig your pits , and

don't be afraid to come back another day ! !!!

as an old pilot told me,

' Take Offs are optional :
    landings are Mandatory . "

Our goal needs to be, get Home safely ! !!

End of sermon -

Grrreat thread- Thank you ! Dj ! !!! tj

Jackson Hole 2019-2020 - & The 'Ghee, The King, Kelly Canyon, Pebble Creek

Looking forward to another great season. Sure enjoying the warm temps tho!
    For those interested - I take a quick pass lap, (usually up there by 6), once or twice a week in the morning. I’m good for a quick lap at 2:30-3ish once or twice a week during the work week too. Always looking for new partners that have similar work schedules.

See ya at Casper soon, DJ, (we should grab a cold one when you get back too)

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Djongo: I have yet to meet you, but how on earth did Jackson Hole and Kelly Canyon get in the same thread title. Pebble Creek is pushing it. The Kelly Canyon marketing "team" must be going crazy.

I passed through the hole yesterday and noticed the MASSIVE new parking lots at the Stilton area. Wassup with that? Ikon is just getting ready to rear it's ugly head.

I'm here for the Pebble Creek good vibes.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Thurgood Jenkins View Post
    Djongo: I have yet to meet you, but how on earth did Jackson Hole and Kelly Canyon get in the same thread title. Pebble Creek is pushing it. The Kelly Canyon marketing "team" must be going crazy.

I passed through the hole yesterday and noticed the MASSIVE new parking lots at the Stilton area. Wassup with that? Ikon is just getting ready to rear it's ugly head.
    one of our favorite maggots is a KC regular and he posts lots of stoke from there.

It's also the Stilson lot, not Stilton, but we know what you mean
    I love taking the bus from town or stilson fwiw. get dropped right off at the tram base and no dealing with the long walk from the ranch lot or the bumper to bumper sh*tshow at the beginning and end of day

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Looking forward to another great season. Sure enjoying the warm temps tho!
    For those interested - I take a quick pass lap, (usually up there by 6), once or twice a week in the morning. I’m good for a quick lap at 2:30-3ish once or twice a week during the work week too. Always looking for new partners that have similar work schedules.
    I'm glad we realized we have similar work schedules!
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Thurgood Jenkins View Post

response :

out of an abundance of Respect
    For Little Big Lost ( "A pic or two... " ) :
    One of the (many) Genuinely Quality Men on these forums --

say what you like :
    Without little hills like KC , CoffeeMill , and Hardscrabble (RIP) - Soldier mountain , Lost Trail (Powder Mountain)- skiing does actually becomes ( rich man's ... ) or

I will see you in the back-country

( since, apparently, the lawyers for Backcountry(DOTcom) believe backcountry is a proprietary term )

Attaboy To Dj - who wasn't writing about The resort, but for the spirits of skiers and snowboarders :
    If you want to see A snowboarder, drive over to KC and see Big Lost doing anything necessary to keep the lifts turning for his Grandkids.

no disrespect to the Core at Jackson Hole . . . and there is a reason Dj included the little hills...

amen, Dj.

ENDs another sermon

FknA : I need to go skiing. tj

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    one of our favorite maggots is a KC regular and he posts lots of stoke from there.

I love taking the bus from town or stilson fwiw. get dropped right off at the tram base and no dealing with the long walk from the ranch lot or the bumper to bumper sh*tshow at the beginning and end of day

I'm glad we realized we have similar work schedules!
    You bet! Around all winter if you want to get a lap in!

You bet! Around all winter if you want to get a lap in!
    Count me in once a week, conditions permitting of course
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Jackson Hole 2019-2020 - & The 'Ghee, The King, Kelly Canyon, Pebble Creek

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    Count me in once a week, conditions permitting of course
    You mean you don’t want to ski ice moguls on glory when it hasn’t snowed in 10days . All kidding aside, there is always something to ski even in a short window.

Looking forward to skiing with you....when fishing comes to an end, (never really does).

You mean you don’t want to ski ice moguls on glory when it hasn’t snowed in 10days . All kidding aside, there is always something to ski even in a short window.

Looking forward to skiing with you....when fishing comes to an end, (never really does).

Yeah man likewise. I actually meant avy conditions, not used to afternoon glory laps. Just want to live!
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    response :

out of an abundance of Respect
    For Little Big Lost ( "A pic or two... " ) :
    One of the (many) Genuinely Quality Men on these forums --

say what you like :
    Without little hills like KC , CoffeeMill , and Hardscrabble (RIP) - Soldier mountain , Lost Trail (Powder Mountain)- skiing does actually becomes ( rich man's ... ) or

I will see you in the back-country

( since, apparently, the lawyers for Backcountry(DOTcom) believe backcountry is a proprietary term )

Attaboy To Dj - who wasn't writing about The resort, but for the spirits of skiers and snowboarders :
    If you want to see A snowboarder, drive over to KC and see Big Lost doing anything necessary to keep the lifts turning for his Grandkids.

no disrespect to the Core at Jackson Hole . . . and there is a reason Dj included the little hills...

amen, Dj.

ENDs another sermon

FknA : I need to go skiing. tj
    This thread needs some Kelly Canyon stoke on a day when JHMR is a true shit show, throw in a Heise soak , and you gotta day.

Then please, allow me and your other brothers and sisters here make it up to you. Having skied the side and back country extensively both then and now, I bet I could wipe all that bad scene memory away. .
    Thanks DJ, will see if my current gig dries up and I have the time to revisit that special place.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    Yeah man likewise. I actually meant avy conditions, not used to afternoon glory laps. Just want to live!
    Kinda figured but had to make an attempt at a funny. Still thinking about setting a line this week but work has me by the balls.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I'm here for the Pebble Creek good vibes.
    FKNA Irie PMA right there... Thanks Adi.

And I have solid intel from an old PCreek lifty, now hard pipe hitting JHAF dog that when it dumps there, it's pretty amazing.

[QUOTE=b-bear;5808366]one of our favorite maggots is a KC regular and he posts lots of stoke from there.

QUOTE]
    ~ The Stilton Cheese Lot.

I'm a no-go for the bus. A coupla diggers on the sheet of ice/rink from the car to bus nixed it for me; then overflowing buses on big days, yadayada.

OTOH, getting off and walking right onto the next available tram, well, that's good living right there now.

As if there was gonna be a Kelly Canyon thread; No, we want LBL and the East ID crew on our team. Tons of rippers over behind the Spud Curtain. Didja see Cy's huck from the Diving Board last year? Puhleeeeze.

Quote Originally Posted by new yabyum View Post
    This thread needs some Kelly Canyon stoke on a day when JHMR is a true shit show, throw in a Heise soak , and you gotta day.
    The bigger the shitshow, the earlier I get up and go. Sometimes only a few runs before I must bolt, not a liftline stander after opening. Will wait for hours for first box, first tracks though. Getting paid in a lump sum of powpow is ok by me.

Soaking after a fun day is truly the cherry on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Thanks DJ, will see if my current gig dries up and I have the time to revisit that special place.
    Your current gig, seems way too impressive to dry up. Cruising the Rockies, rolling through Yurp, etc. Even for the village, that's some stiff competition.
    A couple of us reeeaaallllyyyy want you to swing by. Just sayin'.

SkiJ- You interested in a day at the Vill.? I'm holding out for ya Mang. We'll hook your Stokey McStoker self anytime...

Pfluffenmeister - looking forward to your visit BIG TIME. We got some genetic similarities, you and I.

~~~~~~~~~~
    Historically, the Vill. starts slow. Which is why we'd have preferred they added more days at the end of the season instead of at the beginning. Clucks running the joint. Don't get me started. It would be it's own thread.

2 new names so far: Cherry's Slide and Stilton cheese lot. Luvin' it.

BB, Koko, Schwert, Adi, NYY, Eagle, SIJ, TFT and Mrs. TFT, Cy, MB, WhyT,
    aaaaand the big dog, SVS: Look forward to making turns and Partying with all of youse soon.

happytime funbox - we have a serious sesh in memorium on the agenda. I go look at her pic quite often, still hurts pretty bad here.

Your current gig, seems way too impressive to dry up. Cruising the Rockies, rolling through Yurp, etc. Even for the village, that's some stiff competition.
    A couple of us reeeaaallllyyyy want you to swing by. Just sayin'..
    Last year I was unemployed and got in 75+ days. My girl understands my needs. My kids are teenagers. But, yeah, skiing with you k00ks would be fun.

But my current gig is hosting Linux VMs on the latest Ice Lakes boards, working with Intel and profiling graphics and game performance for a major player in the electronic gaming industry. It's been super fun instrumenting interrupt trackers and video rendering overhead, but not on a product track, just farting around, making stuff up to try and understand where bandwidth gets consumed in virtualized environments. Most of the time, VMs are run on servers doing disk and network accesses, so this is a different slice, fresh tech ground so to speak. Lots of tweezing boot sequences between hypervisors and oses. I hope they'll give me some flex since I'm just contracting for now.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Not much to see at Pebble. And the new owners have put some cash back into a very old lift system.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3452.JPG 
Views:	195 
Size:	733.9 KB 
ID:	302231

I’ll be in town after the holiday rush (Jan 4th). I hate when I have to pick up my new skis .
    why make ten turns when you only need to make NONE!

Telehacker - Hell yes, Bring us some stoke from your stomping grounds. Represent the SE Spudrovian Mags. Hope to see some pics of the goods.

11's - Damn fine quiver there. I was just down to the Igneous factory a coupla weeks ago,( before my mini vacay)and caught up with Mike and Yoshi. Odds are good I saw yer new boards in the rack or en route to the press. Lots of stunning rides this Fall. What build did you get and what veneer?
    I almost uploaded a photo of the Candy/Porn skis. Banned from the tram dock... that's saying something.

I saw those skis at the Igneous factory too. Beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

You’ll love the new sticks, 11’s!! Eagerly awaiting some new skis from Parris too. New design. (More of a big tweak on an older shape). Going light core with carbon. New uphill oriented gear for me.
    Parris and co make fantastic skis!

I went w the RPK 108 w a Chen-Chen top sheet. My FFL & FGS are over 10 yrs old and I needed a ski that will be a bit more forgiving on my 50 yr old body.
    why make ten turns when you only need to make NONE!

Jackson Hole 2019-2020 - &amp; The 'Ghee, The King, Kelly Canyon, Pebble Creek

Quote Originally Posted by elevens View Post
    I went w the RPK 108 w a Chen-Chen top sheet. My FFL & FGS are over 10 yrs old and I needed a ski that will be a bit more forgiving on my 50 yr old body.
    Great ski! I borrowed the 92 waist RPK for. Parris a few times last year. Tons of fun. Haven’t skied the bigger version but I’m sure it’ll be just as much fun.

I retired a set of FGS from the early 2000’s a few years back. Fun ski. Shape was a little dated at the end but the ski had life for a LONG time.

Any caretakers or those connected to second home owners need any snow removal maintenance this upcoming season? Plowing, snowblowing and shoveling.