Page 1 of 89 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Jackson Hole 2019-2020 - & The 'Ghee, The King, Kelly Canyon, Pebble Creek

Alright, Alright, Alright!

It's time for a new thread, like a Yearbook for each season.

With any luck, a multitude of you TGR maggots will be swinging through the Motherland this winter.
    I hope you shout out to some locals here as there are quite few who really dig showing others the hill and all it has to offer.

Skiing at The Vill is often more of a chess game rather than checkers. The angle of attack on any given day requires consideration of a multitude of variables: snow conditions, anticipated crowd size, lift opening timing yada yada.

This will be my 30th year here and it's still a challenge to nail it on the big days. I'm still the rare guy who beats the workers and stands in the dark by the Tram, debating where to start.

And for this assessment, one can have the single greatest run of their life. Over 4000 vert of untracked Blower, is fairly common if you're willing to get after it.
    And if you're gonna go thru all the caca to get here - Do not sleep in. You will regret that approach.

Rule # 1 - Get in front of the crowd. Bust out laps as strategically as possible.
    Rule # 2 - Don't let the massive line before opening freak you out. The lift system here can move a shitton of skiers in short order.
    Rule # 3 - Locals are polite, if not patient. We will talk your ear off if the vibe is right, maybe even show you the special places, our treat. If you're slow, that's ok, we'll wait or we won't.
    Rule # 4 - Skiing together really only means riding the lift together. Decide where point 'B' is and ski there (i.e. Thunder chair). We may not choose the same line, but let's ride up and have fun. Do it again.
    Rule # 5 - On the Chair. The majority here puts the bar down. If you pull it down too quick and hit a noggin, crunch an arm or rack the nuts next to you, it will get loud and rowdy real quick. Bet on it.
    Like, more aggressive than one would expect. Arguably the biggest faux pas.
    Rule # 6 - DO NOT assume you're the fastest, bestest skier out there. That's a recipe for disaster. Look uphill is a real thing here.
    ~~~~~~~~

There are a ton of extremely high caliber skiers here. All ages too. Very few of them are uncool. That's how we roll.

I always say - ' In a big snow year for the states, we are usually in the top 5 for season total snowfall ( competing often with AltaBird, Whistler, Tahoe areas) and in a low season, we almost always have more'. My 2nd year here we got 252", the least I've ever seen. I've had about 5-7 600" seasons. All very different.

I hope for the best, and plan for the worst. But truth be told, I'm always happy with whatever happens. I ski a lot. I am one of the luckiest guys on this forum.

I look forward to skiing with all the local and visiting mags this winter. Last year I started connecting with youse peeps at 11 @ Casper restaurant, mid mountain. Gonna be the default from now on.

Ski season opens here the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I'll be there with bells on; and my mega knee brace.

Already have a few mags lined up for Good Times;

But what about you? Are you gonna come and get some this year?

Maybe.

Jan 1. Just down the street from you at the cabins. Glad to hear the knee is working.

Nicely done DJ. Looking forward to first full season here, hell yeah. Joined the weekday worker ranks but will have moments. Can't wait
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quite the inclusive thread title. Ski ya there.

I'll be there early March to pick up where we left off last year. Looking forward to it and hoping your knee is stronger than ever.

Love the vibe you put out. Need more peeps like you out there

Sounds like my jam. Already have a few days penciled in.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Alright, Alright, Alright!

It's time for a new thread, like a Yearbook for each season.

With any luck, a multitude of you TGR maggots will be swinging through the Motherland this winter.
    I hope you shout out to some locals here as there are quite few who really dig showing others the hill and all it has to offer.

Skiing at The Vill is often more of a chess game rather than checkers. The angle of attack on any given day requires consideration of a multitude of variables: snow conditions, anticipated crowd size, lift opening timing yada yada.

This will be my 30th year here and it's still a challenge to nail it on the big days. I'm still the rare guy who beats the workers and stands in the dark by the Tram, debating where to start.

And for this assessment, one can have the single greatest run of their life. Over 4000 vert of untracked Blower, is fairly common if you're willing to get after it.
    And if you're gonna go thru all the caca to get here - Do not sleep in. You will regret that approach.

Rule # 1 - Get in front of the crowd. Bust out laps as strategically as possible.
    Rule # 2 - Don't let the massive line before opening freak you out. The lift system here can move a shitton of skiers in short order.
    Rule # 3 - Locals are polite, if not patient. We will talk your ear off if the vibe is right, maybe even show you the special places, our treat. If you're slow, that's ok, we'll wait or we won't.
    Rule # 4 - Skiing together really only means riding the lift together. Decide where point 'B' is and ski there (i.e. Thunder chair). We may not choose the same line, but let's ride up and have fun. Do it again.
    Rule # 5 - On the Chair. The majority here puts the bar down. If you pull it down too quick and hit a noggin, crunch an arm or rack the nuts next to you, it will get loud and rowdy real quick. Bet on it.
    Like, more aggressive than one would expect. Arguably the biggest faux pas.
    Rule # 6 - DO NOT assume you're the fastest, bestest skier out there. That's a recipe for disaster. Look uphill is a real thing here.
    ~~~~~~~~

There are a ton of extremely high caliber skiers here. All ages too. Very few of them are uncool. That's how we roll.

I always say - ' In a big snow year for the states, we are usually in the top 5 for season total snowfall ( competing often with AltaBird, Whistler, Tahoe areas) and in a low season, we almost always have more'. My 2nd year here we got 252", the least I've ever seen. I've had about 5-7 600" seasons. All very different.

I hope for the best, and plan for the worst. But truth be told, I'm always happy with whatever happens. I ski a lot. I am one of the luckiest guys on this forum.

I look forward to skiing with all the local and visiting mags this winter. Last year I started connecting with youse peeps at 11 @ Casper restaurant, mid mountain. Gonna be the default from now on.

Ski season opens here the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I'll be there with bells on; and my mega knee brace.

Already have a few mags lined up for Good Times;

But what about you? Are you gonna come and get some this year?
    GREAT ( FnkA ) post : pure Gold :

quoted for posterity --

we'll see what March brings :
    March20 and March21 at LostTrial with BigLost is a Real lifeline for the next three ( -and four- ) months...

Don't Care if I can't ski...

fracture diagnosed as "healed" in August (still radiolucent ( it's A thing ) ) :

My Immediate reaction surprised me... :

' I 'M skiing. ( !!! !!!!!! ) '

( I have not felt that strongly about Anything ( -except 'Blue's death in five years... )

Great post, DJ ! !! Thank You ! !!!

( gonna) take gear to Rib mt. on Friday

( I believe the season Starts (at) 9am, Saturday --

Saturday, we will see Arlo in Madison

( somebody link in the eight minute version of Arlo's Amazing Grace for me Here, please...

Or Arlo's
    The motorcycle song )

Life is --

I need to be more appreciative...

Wag More, bark less

" Always Run to greet those you love "

" carry your friends when they need it "
    ( advice from A Horse )

Thank you, Dj ! and tgr

peace. tj

Finally getting out there in February. I'll look you up!

Skiing with DJ last March was a blast. Looking forward to it again this season. Will be great to ski with Koko, too.

I dunno... hear it’s overrated

A few pics in the Tetons from last year... made it out twice, one time with the wife. Hoping for more time there this season! Such an amazing place for many reasons, and skiing with good people like Djongo or BBear is absolutely worth it if you get the chance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2190.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	346.3 KB 
ID:	301252

Name:	IMG_2196.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	421.2 KB 
ID:	301253

Name:	IMG_2208.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	696.2 KB 
ID:	301254

Name:	IMG_3044.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	509.0 KB 
ID:	301255

Name:	IMG_3049.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	533.8 KB 
ID:	301256

Name:	IMG_3058.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	736.0 KB 
ID:	301257

Name:	IMG_3170.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	416.8 KB 
ID:	301258

Name:	IMG_3188.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	691.2 KB 
ID:	301259

Name:	IMG_5056.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	607.4 KB 
ID:	301260

Name:	IMG_5145.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	561.6 KB 
ID:	301261

Name:	IMG_5156.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	638.7 KB 
ID:	301262

Name:	IMG_5164.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	537.3 KB 
ID:	301263

I am hoping to make it again this year for a week or so. Been the last 5 of 6 years I believe. Love some JH time, but its a long way from southern California.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

To add to Rule #2: No matter how ikonic it gets, some of the good stuff stays fresher longer as a result -- let jerry trash the groomers and cut away tower 3 all day long. Leads into Rule #3.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    I dunno... hear it’s overrated
    Outstanding! I heard this as well.

Jh is a place of dramatic extremes - for all of it's awesomeness, it can be crushingly bad when the stars mis-align. The frozen ocean I call it. 3-4 feet of frozen whitecaps, rough as a coral reef, slicker than all get out. So bad you almost laugh at how sketch it is. This is not terribly common and most likely during big temp swings in the spring.
    I expect HBM had a bad day here; would be interested in trying to change his mind but whatevs, eh?

You Luke are a ripper and I'd gladly kick it witchu...

~~~~~~~

Thanks for the compliments, was hoping to put some stoke out to the maggothood.

I must say that it's been a genuine pleasure skiing with all of you and indeed look forward to those returning as well as those(Hutash, steepndeepx) I've yet to meet.

I look back fondly on turns with Rudy, Goniff, Mr. and Mrs. TFT, dangit, ALL of you. I thought of each of you this offseason(which is any season except winter)and the really fine turns we all made. Hope your kids are all well and healthy too. Nothing like a kid really digging my scene. So fun.

Hudgely looking forward to 2Funky's visit,( maybe with Mooseknuckles,) If you can make it. Hope I can keep up!

SkiJ - you been on my shortlist since you dropped off the cheeseballs at BBI18 Bozo. Come on down! Yessss, the fracture has healed. Stay strong. Bring LBL and it'll be a blast. Hopefully he'll chime in with stoke, and pics from Kelly canyon.

Koko and I will be lapping the redbox and straightlining the crags run soon enough. You'll want to ski my 215 DH'ers by February, I bet.

Norse - As I said - 24/7/365. Welcome ...

Beece - You, me, Teton village. hell yes. No missing this time around.

Xtine - We gotta roll some more soon. You are so stealth it's crazy. Last year you pop up right near me in tramline, I didn't even know you were there, so funny.

Damn, now I'm getting stoked.

Man, I fucking love skiing.

Sounds like the Rehab worked well for ya. Getcha over to the ' Ghee early season and will lap a few.
    Last edited by new yabyum; 11-06-2019 at 05:46 PM.

YA! so excited for this winter. And the 1st winter in over a dozen yrs with a full pass vs weekend warrior
    It's been fun doing the weekend fireplace meet ups too- I look fwd to more of those.
    I like DJ's take on the set-up- especially #4. skiing with friends but also everyone gets to ski their favorite lines or stashes except...FIFY
    Rule # 4 - Skiing together really only means riding the lift together. Decide where point 'B' is and ski there (i.e. safety shack). We may not choose the same line, but let's ride up and have fun. Do it again.
    skid luxury

also any local mags- Djongo? have need for this VW/Audi specific coolant/antifreeze that is unopened?
    we sold our eurovan this summer so no need for it. I tried to give it to the guy that bought the van jic (even though we fixed the leak. but I mean it's an 18yo vehicle- take the dang fluids!)
    but anyhow- iirc it's $50 or 60 bucks so wanted to see if anyone could use it

Name:	98F28CEF-08B3-43D5-8317-713BCA5032E5.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	547.7 KB 
ID:	301292
    skid luxury

^^^margarita mix!

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Thumbs up on the big heart a-bun-dance, DU. The world could use some more positivity like that.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I hope to meet more of ya this year, at the ghee. Split with former Mrs. Snapt so my village passes dried up. Looks like Fall finally decided to stick around for a bit.

Long overdue but I'm coming down in late Jan. Looking forward to seeing an old friend and gettin after the pow. So many fun memories like the moose chase-down of 2 skiers next to the Mangy, Skiing with the JHAF dudes, Outdoor salmon barbecue, Hangin at the Hostel, and skiing the roof of the J.H. Inn. The salmon rode in my ski rack from Seattle to Jackson in a snowstorm...all 35 lbs. Going to miss the Hostel but have a gig worked out. Bring on the snow!

I really need to meet up with some of you! Depending on work, snow and storms, I try to hit the ghee or head over the pass at least once a week, more if I can. I need to check out other local places too. I guess I am in training for Euro BBI this year.

Name:	9D4A6AB9-2CB2-4EF3-8269-2D508E628FCD.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	241.0 KB 
ID:	301305

Idaho Falls here! I’ll buy any y’all a beer if you see me. Orange ass helmet. Only one I’ve ever seen. Hiked/Snowshoed into Table Mountain last weekend, snow is looking great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7ACD6003-0287-4491-B78A-F6B32781AB47.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	684.6 KB 
ID:	301306  

Name:	65F4EDD6-B31B-463A-9DB0-CE06346C428E.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	771.5 KB 
ID:	301308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20CF54AB-C79D-4A16-8B98-B9564AEA51DD.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	743.4 KB 
ID:	301309Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D4C0513A-DBFB-4652-BC34-68857C4D4023.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	860.6 KB 
ID:	301310