Page 54 of 89 FirstFirst ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 2210
    Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    moving to IF in a month
    Condolences

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Condolences
    From the day I did laps with him he is eyes wide open...young and smart and he knows what he is signing up for. He'll be fine.

Congrats mang!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

North facing dusk patrol at Targhee skied pretty nice this evening. Kind of surreal being up there mid March with no one around Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5304.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	443.9 KB 
ID:	321208Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5317.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	462.0 KB 
ID:	321209

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Nice work, GTID; Surreal is the word.

I'm digging the lack of cars and peeps around. for now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wow, EoB is leaving the Valley of the Sun for the Falls of the Snake. You'll dig it, so much to do in a 1-5 hr. radius. IF is actually kinda well positioned for going other places. Tetons, Sawtooths, City of Rocks, Massacre rocks, Big Sky, Ennis, SLC. And close to ground zero/mecca for Fly fishing.

Let's hike in the Tetons this summer or maybe connect with LBL for some Raptor expeditions...

Typical Targhee sunshine today. Visibility was bad even by Targhee standards. Skiing was good, North facing had about 6 inches, could feel the crust under the snow on the south facing stuff but it all skied pretty well. Lots of people out hitting it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5323.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	684.4 KB 
ID:	321515

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Nice work, GTID; Surreal is the word.

I'm digging the lack of cars and peeps around. for now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wow, EoB is leaving the Valley of the Sun for the Falls of the Snake. You'll dig it, so much to do in a 1-5 hr. radius. IF is actually kinda well positioned for going other places. Tetons, Sawtooths, City of Rocks, Massacre rocks, Big Sky, Ennis, SLC. And close to ground zero/mecca for Fly fishing.

Let's hike in the Tetons this summer or maybe connect with LBL for some Raptor expeditions...
    True about the central location. I have known this my whole life. Headed out to the wilds in the morning. So many choices.

The Eagles? Doubt I'll be leading anyone to the nest this season. Covid 19 and all. Bummer. I'll post some shots in other thread soon. They are nesting already. No determination on how many eggs this year.

Old and Getting Older........
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

Quote Originally Posted by Little Big Lost View Post
    True about the central location. I have known this my whole life. Headed out to the wilds in the morning. So many choices.

The Eagles? Doubt I'll be leading anyone to the nest this season. Covid 19 and all. Bummer. I'll post some shots in other thread soon. They are nesting already. No determination on how many eggs this year.

Keep us posted LBL! That being said I saw a newborn calf still steaming today in Driggs.

Skiing remains excellent. Teton trickle continues to deliver.

I work Monday/Tuesday next week then off until Sunday if anybody is looking for a strolling partner and it keeps snowin.

Skiing remains excellent. Teton trickle continues to deliver.

I work Monday/Tuesday next week then off until Sunday if anybody is looking for a strolling partner and it keeps snowin.
    Nice!! Teton trickle was full on up in Phillips. Going to be a good few days

khol reporting gtnp & yellowstone closed until further notice. any confirmation?

never mind seeing the reports in the other news sites now.

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/this_..._medium=social

I guess that means no Bradley/Taggart parking?

No gates means no way to get in and park. They can’t really close other ways to approach in but it’s going to be a lot harder. I’ve been skinning Snow King and they just funded grooming but I wonder how long that’s going to last because I definitely see groups of skiers and hikers hanging out in areas...

Jackson Hole 2019-2020 - & The 'Ghee, The King, Kelly Canyon, Pebble Creek

Our public land policies favor the wealthy and well connected who can bypass these restrictions by owning private land, sleds, or traveling to places less affected.

Idaho just went into lock down. https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/0...virus-spreads/

Idaho is not under lockdown technically, but a stay at home order similar to that imposed in Blaine County this past Sunday. Just got off the phone with the state (Idaho 211 if anyone else needs to call) as I manage a team of 20, it is not "papers please" type situation. "All businesses should do as much as possible to allow employees to work from home, but if not they are allowed to work currently". Direct quotes from the state.

That being said, plenty of places are going to not have a choice. Restaurants are now officially take out only, retail stores are closed, banks are drive up only, etc. Basically life as it has been the past week or so for us in Teton Valley. I was in IF though a couple days ago and it was like Coronavirus wasn't even a thing so life there is probably changing.

Construction/trades have been deemed essential also FYI, which is a huge employment driver for the valley currently, who knows how long though. And you can still go to Targhee and skin up as long as you practice social distancing. Final order will be posted tonight here: https://coronavirus.idaho.gov/

FKNA though I really didn't expect this coming from Idaho ultimately.
    Live Free or Die

S

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Idaho is not under lockdown technically, but a stay at home order similar to that imposed in Blaine County this past Sunday. Just got off the phone with the state (Idaho 211 if anyone else needs to call) as I manage a team of 20, it is not "papers please" type situation. "All businesses should do as much as possible to allow employees to work from home, but if not they are allowed to work currently". Direct quotes from the state.

That being said, plenty of places are going to not have a choice. Restaurants are now officially take out only, retail stores are closed, banks are drive up only, etc. Basically life as it has been the past week or so for us in Teton Valley. I was in IF though a couple days ago and it was like Coronavirus wasn't even a thing so life there is probably changing.

Construction/trades have been deemed essential also FYI, which is a huge employment driver for the valley currently, who knows how long though. And you can still go to Targhee and skin up as long as you practice social distancing. Final order will be posted tonight here: https://coronavirus.idaho.gov/

Thanks for the correction, I should choose my words more carefully right now. I figured it would happen eventually but I am a bit surprised it came on so fast but to be honest I'm glad Gov. Little pulled the trigger. Need to get serious in this state before it blows up. My wife and I have pretty much already been isolating ourselves from others for over a week already so this isn't much of a change. I also just saw that Jackson reported their 5th case. I wonder how long before Targhee closes the gate to the parking lot, haven't heard anything just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post

I'm pretty sure that vehicle travel to/from skiing zones is NOT okay, per the order. (see the attached) My interpretation of this order is that if you can walk or ride your bike to activities, then it's considered okay. If you have to drive a vehicle to said activities, then it is not okay.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	COVID19.png 
Views:	140 
Size:	656.8 KB 
ID:	322329

Our county prosecutor in Teton County (ID) this morning responded to somebody asking if skiing was ok with a yes.

Our county prosecutor in Teton County (ID) this morning responded to somebody asking if skiing was ok with a yes.
    ...and therein lies the problem. The total inconsistency of the messaging at all levels of government, from the local to the state, to the federal level. I hate to ask the question, but was the prosecutor referring to skiing as a legit activity, (which by the order it would/could be), without referring to the act of driving to the skiing location? The wording above is a direct quote from the governor and would seem to contradict the prosecutor. "All non-essential travel must cease". So, unless skiing is considered essential and it requires travel to get there, then I'd say the prosecutor is at odds with statements from the governor. The governor was extremely vague when asked how the state was going to enforce these mandates, and basically said it's the "honor system" until too many are not honoring it. Then he said they'd have to reassess. So I suppose the Teton County prosecutor was only referring to whether or not they would prosecute someone from traveling to get to the goods. To me, this is the classic "Catch-22". "Yes, you can go skiing, but only if you don't drive to get there".

Quote Originally Posted by eagleskier View Post
    ...and therein lies the problem. The total inconsistency of the messaging at all levels of government, from the local to the state, to the federal level. I hate to ask the question, but was the prosecutor referring to skiing as a legit activity, (which by the order it would/could be), without referring to the act of driving to the skiing location? The wording above is a direct quote from the governor and would seem to contradict the prosecutor. "All non-essential travel must cease". So, unless skiing is considered essential and it requires travel to get there, then I'd say the prosecutor is at odds with statements from the governor. The governor was extremely vague when asked how the state was going to enforce these mandates, and basically said it's the "honor system" until too many are not honoring it. Then he said they'd have to reassess. So I suppose the Teton County prosecutor was only referring to whether or not they would prosecute someone from traveling to get to the goods. To me, this is the classic "Catch-22". "Yes, you can go skiing, but only if you don't drive to get there".
    Cody, so the way I'm interpreting that "all non-essential" travel must cease is just that. Of course, Gov. Little is vague, it's what he does. Seems like all these policies and practices are in place but no one knows how to execute them or what they even mean, trust me, the hospital is notorious for that and frankly kind of a shitshow when it comes to one hand knowing what the other is doing.

With that said, if you see a guy hiking up Hard Guy with skis, boots and a pack, stop and ask for change as I'm sure you know what that person is trying to get to. I can assure you that the Miller gulch trailhead and Corrals trailhead won't be devoid of vehicles, there'll still be plenty of folks driving to the trailheads. Good thing I live close to Polecat, I don't think riding a bike to the trails is against this "rule".

The congregating at the bottom of DC on the plaza has not gone unnoticed. Let's play by the rules folks.

Thanks for the additional info Snapt. After reading that exchange, and studying the https://coronavirus.idaho.gov/ site, I also called the 211 line and spoke with one of the reps. The actual consensus from theses sources is that the word "travel" in this context is actually aimed at moving between communities, states or countries. If we are simply accessing a trail head from our home within the community/valley that we live in, that is not breaking the spirit and/or the letter of the mandate. The representative on the 211 call did bring up the issue of being cautious and not putting ourselves at increased risk where we would need rescue services.
    I won't be driving over to hit the Pass, or Galena Summit, or even the Soldier Mountains.
    Bottom line for me, is that I may now drive up Bogus Basin road, (my local area) and hit some of the terrain outside of the ski resort this weekend. Ryan, PM me if you're in. :-)

Hmm, changes are coming tomorrow.
    If any of you read the comments on the Buckrail FB post (never reward the comments!), you would see why I recommend this book

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Town_on_Earth

https://buckrail.com/town-of-jackson...Zdi2vv-nhMX2Hs
    Last edited by rideit; 03-28-2020 at 12:00 AM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident