Page 45 of 89 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 2210
    Gracias!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Low expectations for a starting at the crack of 2pm. They were exceeded. I guess I'll do it again tomorrow. HMS you might recognize my landlord/boss/good pal Ed S. Good to get him out in the hills.

Yes indeed, snapt! The Shoe! Looking good on the diving board.

Warmup headed our way this weekend. Ugh. Hope it spares those north trees. I'll just ride the fat bike- better for my knee than skiing bad snow- so spoiled!

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

Beautiful conditions at the resort today. Great skiing!
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Fun mellow tour this AM with Zion Zig Zag, we found some cold snow. I need to ski with more mags.

^^^Thanks again for showing me around. The Teton Valley locals are treating me well!

Man, it feels like spring in the valley today, I've had my windows down driving around town.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Alright, Alright, Alright!

It's time for a new thread, like a Yearbook for each season.

With any luck, a multitude of you TGR maggots will be swinging through the Motherland this winter.
    I hope you shout out to some locals here as there are quite few who really dig showing others the hill and all it has to offer.

Skiing at The Vill is often more of a chess game rather than checkers. The angle of attack on any given day requires consideration of a multitude of variables: snow conditions, anticipated crowd size, lift opening timing yada yada.

This will be my 30th year here and it's still a challenge to nail it on the big days. I'm still the rare guy who beats the workers and stands in the dark by the Tram, debating where to start.

And for this assessment, one can have the single greatest run of their life. Over 4000 vert of untracked Blower, is fairly common if you're willing to get after it.
    And if you're gonna go thru all the caca to get here - Do not sleep in. You will regret that approach.

Rule # 1 - Get in front of the crowd. Bust out laps as strategically as possible.
    Rule # 2 - Don't let the massive line before opening freak you out. The lift system here can move a shitton of skiers in short order.
    Rule # 3 - Locals are polite, if not patient. We will talk your ear off if the vibe is right, maybe even show you the special places, our treat. If you're slow, that's ok, we'll wait or we won't.
    Rule # 4 - Skiing together really only means riding the lift together. Decide where point 'B' is and ski there (i.e. Thunder chair). We may not choose the same line, but let's ride up and have fun. Do it again.
    Rule # 5 - On the Chair. The majority here puts the bar down. If you pull it down too quick and hit a noggin, crunch an arm or rack the nuts next to you, it will get loud and rowdy real quick. Bet on it.
    Like, more aggressive than one would expect. Arguably the biggest faux pas.
    Rule # 6 - DO NOT assume you're the fastest, bestest skier out there. That's a recipe for disaster. Look uphill is a real thing here.
    ~~~~~~~~

There are a ton of extremely high caliber skiers here. All ages too. Very few of them are uncool. That's how we roll.

I always say - ' In a big snow year for the states, we are usually in the top 5 for season total snowfall ( competing often with AltaBird, Whistler, Tahoe areas) and in a low season, we almost always have more'. My 2nd year here we got 252", the least I've ever seen. I've had about 5-7 600" seasons. All very different.

I hope for the best, and plan for the worst. But truth be told, I'm always happy with whatever happens. I ski a lot. I am one of the luckiest guys on this forum.

I look forward to skiing with all the local and visiting mags this winter. Last year I started connecting with youse peeps at 11 @ Casper restaurant, mid mountain. Gonna be the default from now on.

Ski season opens here the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I'll be there with bells on; and my mega knee brace.

Already have a few mags lined up for Good Times;

But what about you? Are you gonna come and get some this year?

I have enjoyed this thread and
    I appreciate this thread - Thank you, Dj...

as the season heads toward Spring,
    I wanted to [bump] DJ's OP to remind some of the late arrivals to the spirit with which this thread was opened --

If this post goes to the bottom of the page. . . ( but I don't think it will ( BigLost got the bottom of the previous page... )

so. Back to the action --
    I love the sense of community that has rallied through this thread , and

what has largely been a lost season to me, I have lived vicariously through the pages of this thread :
    Thank you, All (!)

heal - up, Dj - I see you are hurting though it is my impression your graft held (Relief ! )

I hope you all enjoy an extended Spring of bluebird , mild days - and nights cold enough to extend the season as long as riders want the lifts to turn...

Thank you for this thread... maggs all - tj
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

A trip to the goods in low tide today. Upper Mile Long skiers left gets skied rarely as it involves a short but respectable rock climb, clicking in on about a 2'x2' patch of snow that drops 100' on one side and more than half of that on the other, and then after clicking in working across a knife ridge to get to where you can access the goods. Skibird another buddy and I had it on our "I've been looking at it for years" radar screen and today was the day to hit it. We took our time getting up and in and were eventually rewarded with a super aesthetic line that over looks the central area of Granite Canyon. Snow as pretty darn good considering we are at pretty low tide and huge areas of slopes have been scoured to resemble the surface of the moon by three days of steady . 40 to 60 mph winds. It was stimulating to say the least. Better pics to come from Skibird but the I-phone got a little use and here a few visuals.

View from the top of AV... line is the snow patch at the top center, access is from the lookers left.

Why I can't get pics straight I have no idea...but I'm old

Small flat patch to click in under the skis...with wind !

A little view candy

Look but don't fall...100' plus

First tracks for the season !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3037.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	984.9 KB 
ID:	318700   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3014.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	318701   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3015.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	318702   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3019.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	318703   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3017.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	318704  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3031.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	318706  

Name:	60496465969__E4B4C950-0190-4B4F-87C4-A97822BA8B27.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	181.0 KB 
ID:	318709Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60496463596__51EBE473-DD89-425E-A0E2-88EFE266ADAD.JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	156.1 KB 
ID:	318710

Other buddy is in there

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

You Motherfuckers. I can't believe you skied that. Everyone talks about it. Raaaarely skied. not sure why.
    The approach is a little dicey, knifedge ridge and all, but nothing for the aesthetics offered. I think maybe one of the Zell bros skied it in the 90's. Thanks for taking the shots.
    Soooo, who skied the gut/ money shot?
    I shit you not, I was talking to an OG about that line from the top of AV, about a week ago. So skiable right now, deep, locked coverage, smooth surface still.

That's kinda N by NE? Yes? Wind deposit or gone by meow?

Solid work there, wstdeep and skibrd. That line is a feather in one's cap for sure. In a rad place, where feathers are few any more.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HMS - Almost without fail, skiing with new mags has been interesting and fun for me. Wish you'd come over the hill for a day. We'd play around your plan anytime.

SkiJ - Thanks big man, we're still hanging up in here ya know. As usual it's been a good season here. Sure was hoping to see you this spring. Looks less than likely now. Maybe set next winter as a goal for you skiing the village?. That'd be awesome. We could hook you up.
    For your consideration...
    And then maybe we could get LBL over the spud curtain with his Crew. Thanks for the pics from the yonder regions. Always taken from a good POV, and great subject choices.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Snapt - Choice photos that you've snapt; that's good living right there...Stoke tittaaaaayz!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Yeah my leg is well on the mend, rebounding daily by noticeable, if not minor increments. it's been stressful. I've been in careful mode for months now, so whacking my knee after all was disappointing. On the other hand, I guess it's gotta happen. It's just obviously not healthy enough to rebound in days yet, as in the past.
    And I want to be skiing, harder, faster, so badly. There's the stress. Not enough mileage, vert, risk, nature, velocity, powder, physics, friends. These things power me through the offseason work drudgery. Def not first world, meknows, vital to me though.
    I'm pretty sure I could go tool around some easy turns now, but I'm leery and want to recover even more. Not like it's soft out there. As if that ever slowed me.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    AS I mentioned in the Intro to this thread, we find ourselves having a season of good snow. A handful of good storm cycles with a January to remember, setting up the season. Only Alta has gotten more than the village. Within a foot of each other after 3+ months; 36 Feet and crossing fingers for more. Good living in the 'Satch and the Tetons.

I bet corny corn skiing has been good this past week, Dang.

Jackson Hole 2019-2020 - & The 'Ghee, The King, Kelly Canyon, Pebble Creek

I have a cousin and a few of his College friends from Bozeman that want to come down is weekend the 7&8th to ski. Hoping to find the guys some resort coupons. 50% or better would be appreciated

Edit: needed couponshave been located. Thanks mags
    Last edited by Bruce Springskiin; 03-04-2020 at 10:07 AM.

I’ve seen turns on it a 1-2 times in the past 6 years DJango, but after watching the climb, approach, etc, I can see why it rarely gets skied.

Serious props to WSTdeep and our other buddy. If you want to see who it is, I tagged him in the picture my Instagram, he’s a little more understated then the rest of us, so I’ll let you go look. He’s put some pretty rad lines down.

WSTdeep made it look good. A gust of wind carrying a bunch of snow came through as he dropped in so the pictures of him skiing didn’t come out as well as of our other buddy. Still one impressive line.

It’s pretty due east facing. You can’t really see the line from any other aspect too. For as how not hidden it is, it’s fairly hidden. The snow in the shade was soft, but not sure how much they left up there. We tried to get a good sun pic turn but the snow wasn’t quiet as soft, and that wind gust screwed it up. If you want to go ski it, I suggest bringing some rope, and wait for a refresh. Makes the ascent a bit easier if you can pull your skis/bag up after.

I think the order for screwed up but you should be able to figure it out

Name:	IMG_5049.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	540.3 KB 
ID:	318745

Name:	IMG_5050.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	658.5 KB 
ID:	318746

Name:	IMG_5051.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	318747

Name:	IMG_5052.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	592.4 KB 
ID:	318748

Name:	IMG_5053.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	318749
    Last edited by skibrd; 03-04-2020 at 07:49 AM.

Jackson mags, y'all probably don't know me as I'm from the despised westerly state of Cali-traffica, but making my maiden winter voyage to Jackson next week. In case you haven't heard, it's been spring here since January 1. Joy! So, I'm heading out yer way with a buddy. I guess his bro is in the Deadlocks? So I'm thinking it'll be a non-stop train of groupies, right? Ha.

Anyway, building off Djongo's call above, would love to explore JHMR with any of y'all if you got the time. Always good to make maggot connections. We'll touring about half the time too. Lotsa stoke in this thread. Good work. And thanks HMS for all the TAR work.

Speaking of, I'd like to pay some respects on top of Pucker too. My good buddy is the guy who was killed there in Dec. 2013. RIP Mikey.

Holler if you got the time, and I'll gladly return the favor in summer or winter here in the north Tahoe area (Truckee).
    sproing!

DJ I will come over NEXT year and ski with you, after I get my knee replaced. Surgery is April 14 and can't come fast enough. Steroid shot of Dec 2019 is fully worn off and I have to pick my days carefully. Zion Zig Zag is not NEW friend, but now that he has bought a house in Teton Valley will be much more regular partner for ski and bike.

Cheers everyone, enjoy the warmup!

Oh and great job Wst deep on a bold line.

I know the skiing is still awesome (and I'll continue to take full advantage of it) but I got a little jealous of all my internet friends who live in places where they can ski and bike in the same day (fat biking doesn't count.) So, if you want to ride bikes after your morning Glory Lap, 5th Street bike park in Driggs will have the flow trail open and ready to go Friday afternoon.

It took a stupid amount of snow removal, and my back hurts, but it's drying in the sun now and will be good to go. Even if you don't want to ride, come have a beer around 3-5:30ish Friday. It's not the end of ski season, it's just the beginning of bike season!

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    I know the skiing is still awesome (and I'll continue to take full advantage of it) but I got a little jealous of all my internet friends who live in places where they can ski and bike in the same day (fat biking doesn't count.) So, if you want to ride bikes after your morning Glory Lap, 5th Street bike park in Driggs will have the flow trail open and ready to go Friday afternoon.

It took a stupid amount of snow removal, and my back hurts, but it's drying in the sun now and will be good to go. Even if you don't want to ride, come have a beer around 3-5:30ish Friday. It's not the end of ski season, it's just the beginning of bike season!
    It’s not bike season. Come back in a month...

Seriously thanks for tossing that snow. Doubt I’ll make it over but I hope people take advantage of the work you guys put in.

[QUOTE=Djongo Unchained;5911917]You Motherfuckers. I can't believe you skied that. Everyone talks about it. Raaaarely skied. not sure why.

Thanks DJ, it was a rush and everyone we talked to pretty much had that response " I was looking at that just a few days ago...been looking at it for years"

Our buddy Alex got first tracks, I dropped first and put a cut in, he came to me, I put another in heading lookers left and tucked below the high rock lookers left and he got to send it.

Damn fun to get a line that rarely gets touched and skied great when most everything else was played out. Still feeling the buzz a day later.

Well freakin done wstdeep and skibrd!! Sumbeech that looks killar!

I miss the shit out of Jackson.
    Bozo just doesn’t have the access you guys do.

Couple shots from Monday morning in the park.

Name:	B241D3EE-15DD-46CA-A59E-8AC82727A345.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	235.0 KB 
ID:	318789

Name:	IMG_3299.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	397.9 KB 
ID:	318790

Name:	IMG_0931.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	318791

Name:	IMG_3304.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	318792

A couple days in the backcountry, North facing stuff held up pretty well, other aspects getting pretty crusty. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4717.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	318811Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4791.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	203.1 KB 
ID:	318812Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3718.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	547.4 KB 
ID:	318813Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5095.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	734.5 KB 
ID:	318814Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4768.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	255.8 KB 
ID:	318815

Quote Originally Posted by gtid View Post
    A couple days in the backcountry, North facing stuff held up pretty well, other aspects getting pretty crusty.

I have some 50% at Targhee if any of the mags are in need

Name:	endless.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	318906
    last sunday funday

Keep the stoke coming folks!!! This thread rules. Heal up djongo, nothing wrong with a few rest days here and there

Inbound this evening for spring time. Coming in with family in tow but would love to get out for a day of touring if anyone's available. Also, can someone educate me on parking this year - is the base lot free with a full carload?

Djongo (or anyone else) let me know if your feeling up to meeting up and making some turns again this year.