Page 23 of 89 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Curious, was this a ____ storm cycle?

Once in a lifetime
    Once in a season
    Run of the mill

I know you guys get a ton of snow but haven't paid much attention to individual storm cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Just returned from a 1-day blast-through with the wife. We hit the Village on Monday, which was... good timing. No crowds, ridiculous snow. The only minor drawback were the HORRENDOUS conditions up in Rendezvous Bowl. I felt a little bad taking my wife out there in that shit, but she persevered and, to her credit, didn't kill me at the bottom.
    i heard it was vomit inducing vertigo with -40 wind chills ,the best the bowl can deliver.
    also probably a once in a lifetime storm cycle for most. for 30 yr locals a once in a decade. enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by passholer View Post
    i heard it was vomit inducing vertigo with -40 wind chills
    That seems about right.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian.bee View Post

Once in a lifetime
    Once in a season
    Run of the mill

I know you guys get a ton of snow but haven't paid much attention to individual storm cycles.
    Maybe once in a lifetime, hope not, but record breaking for sure: https://buckrail.com/january-breaks-records/

Quote Originally Posted by adrian.bee View Post

Once in a lifetime
    Once in a season
    Run of the mill

Deepest in 6 years for me.

Made me totally content that I wasn’t going to Japan this year.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Just want to give a big thanks to Djongo! Always helping mags out and hooking up the vouchers. Next time I'm down we'll have to ride and you're always welcome up Montana way whether it be a place to crash or spot in the boat. Had a great day ripping hoback laps and hiking Casper as well as just exploring stashes off AV. All in all a beautiful bluebird day, tram op was even cranking bad religion! Now if I can actually make it back to Montana through the wind fucked land of idaho.

Here's some super shitty pics from my broken camera phone. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200115_115013.jpeg 
Views:	103 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	310806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200115_115019.jpeg 
Views:	109 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	310807Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200115_115256.jpeg 
Views:	104 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	310808

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Taylor went big at 230. I got texted a vid of it. There’s some curious tracks near the crown. Big crowns on Glory, Chicken Scratch etc.

Well, kids, while y’all are creaming you’re jeans about this last two weeks, tomorrow I am going in for my new knee. Clearly, I brought this bounty to Jackson between this and a new bike!
    Wish me luck!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Best of luck, the wife is looking at a new one soon, we'll follow the story.

Does she want to buy my old one?
    Well maintained, low miles.

Good luck, Rideit! You’ll do great. I’ll buy some tacos when you are ready.

Thanks!
    I went to Street foods for lunch, the tacos were so big I had to use a fork for what fell out of them.
    See you soon!

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Thanks!
    I went to Street foods for lunch, the tacos were so big I had to use a fork for what fell out of them.
    See you soon!
    We was there as well! Can confirm, tacos were primo. Heal up!

KC was a pow day. Lifts 1 and 2 have not turned since last Saturday. Was good.

Also..heart attack day was 8 years ago today. I'll be 65 this year. Feeling good. Riding gooder.
    Old and Getting Older........
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

Now that is a good anniversary. Here's to another year on the right side up.
    Live Free or Die

Hippie powder and sunshine on 25 short. The 4 of us have been skiing together since the early 90s.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    We was there as well! Can confirm, tacos were primo. Heal up!
    Did you get my PM last week?
    You find some stashes?

Save some of that goodness for me. I had hoped to be there with a couple other mags who rolled into town tonight, but was committed to helping my daughter and SIL install a floor in Denver. That and several major car problems and a father in law sent to the hospital. But, the stars are starting to align, the floor is nearly done, and there is a chance I might get into town tomorrow evening or more likely Friday just in time to add to the holiday crowds.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Last edited by passholer; 01-16-2020 at 09:00 AM. Reason: linky

Rideit - Good luck! I'm certain all will go perfectly well and you'll be back in the saddle by summer.

Ski220 - Good to meet you and the fellas. Nice sesh time to hang out. We'll try and connect before you roll out. Wow, what a great time to be here. You guys nailed it.

LLS - Glad to meet ya and happy to help out da mags. What a gorgeous day to play at the vill. Always welcome, mag.

HMS - Hippie powder is deeper than Cowboy powder, amirite? All is right with the world, sitting in Dornan's after a great day in the hills.

LBL - crushing the pow daily, nice. Happy anniversary, that's a good one fo sho.

Hutash - hope to meet ya this weekend. Holla if'n ya need anything...

~~~~~~~~~
    Been thinking on the question.

Cycles like that one happen at any point throughout the winter. We've had bigger Decembers and Februarys, maybe a March. Likely.

Storms like that one are less common than we'd like though. Skiing 2 weeks ago was about 5/10, now it's 9+/10. Changing the whole area at once usually takes longer. OTOH, we get storms that pull us out of the doldrums, fairly regularly. Lucky that way but it can be nerve wracking.

What was different for that cycle was that we didn't really get a lull in the action. It kept coming in with only the slightest ripple in the waves. Also it stayed colder and got windier...all factors that make it bettah.

And the crowds coulda been worse. It's been relatively mellow that way. Not as expected. One old local said yesterday that this was the quietest holday season in 20 yrs. Weird that, eh?

As I took some of the more epic days off for knee pain/rehab, my opinion is somewhat off:
    Not a lifetime storm for me, but a big one. Top 20.

Memorable for storm duration and snow quality. (They are not always good. Some storm cycles start great but then suck for days.)

Yes, once in a season; most likely.
    I can guarantee this, EVERYONE would like to have that cycle over again before the season ends. Twice in a year would be something. Not unheard of but that would take it to a diff level.

So not all time, but a noticeable blip on the season. Hoping for another.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Prolly 36" on the lawn around here. 60" shovel piles.

And adding to Passholer's point - Humongous fractures around the Tetons. Yesterday showed a 6-10' facture for the majority of No Name face. Maybe 75% of it.

~~~~~~~~~`
    On 1/16/1974 the temp was 55 degrees. 3 days later it had plummeted to -42. (97 degree drop in 72 hrs). It's Wyoming.

Jackson Hole 2019-2020 - & The 'Ghee, The King, Kelly Canyon, Pebble Creek

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4219.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	288.2 KB 
ID:	310954

Fuck

White dragon is everywhere, be smart. Things at all aspects and elevations are going. Please be safe.

DJango, I’ll take another one of these storms this season, but can I have a few days to recover from this one first?

More specifically, here is where the White Dragon has been found. Radial plot is new this year. There's a longer list on the website here: http://www.jhavalanche.org/eventMap.php, just hit the Radial Plot button and move the sliders to stipulate the dates. This screenshot is from Jan 1 to now.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 12.45.27 PM.png 
Views:	121 
Size:	324.6 KB 
ID:	310955

Wind with this most recent storm created a widespread and sensitive problem.

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    More specifically, here is where the White Dragon has been found. Radial plot is new this year. There's a longer list on the website here: http://www.jhavalanche.org/eventMap.php, just hit the Radial Plot button and move the sliders to stipulate the dates. This screenshot is from Jan 1 to now.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 12.45.27 PM.png 
Views:	121 
Size:	324.6 KB 
ID:	310955

Wind with this most recent storm created a widespread and sensitive problem.
    I’m going to have to play with this more. That is awesome. Been a phone app Avi website checking guy for a few years, but it appears to be easier to navigate on the website. Guess that’s going to be part of the morning routine.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

That is a really nice tool.

Good afternoon, everybody, I’m bionic!
    Y’all stay safe out there, y’hear?