Page 57 of 89 FirstFirst ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 2210
    If anyone thinks I'm trying to justify the decision making or shift blame here because he was a friend - I'm not, so you can save your admonishments. It's not difficult for me to objectively recognize that: A) BC skiing right now in any form is inherently selfish and risks tying up resources that can be better used elsewhere (I stopped skiing for the season entirely three weeks ago, and I've encouraged anyone that will listen to do the same) and B) that there was a failure in decision making and safety protocol.

Any time someone dies in an avalanche, it's self-evident that the process broke down somewhere. People don't die in avalanches because they made good decisions. It's difficult for me to believe that his beacon was off because he just didn't turn it on, but I also don't really care to speculate, because it doesn't really matter in the end. It was off and it made a bad situation worse. It might have cost him his life, and at the very least, it sure as hell made recovery a lot more difficult.

If anything, my only point in posting in the first place was this: if you're still skiing right now, and think that due to your skill/terrain choice it's entirely inconceivable that you could end up in a situation where you make a mistake that requires extraction, or god forbid, body recovery, you're living in a fantasy and this might be a good opportunity to do some self reflection. Just a week ago, some guy broke his femur in Utah skiing out of Beartrap Fork in Big Cottonwood Canyon, which, if you're not familiar, is just about the most lame ass chicken shit flat ski terrain in the entire Wasatch range. I'm sure he thought he was being responsible by skiing "safe" terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by haysman16 View Post
    really not wanting to armchair quarterback, but this is not the avy centers fault. Moderate or Considerable is not going to make a difference if you are dropping the skiers right side of the South Face at 3pm in April (not going to even touch the beacon issue).

Dude made a poor decision and not only did it cost him big time but it also exposed 50 people to each other who should be home and just gives more ammo to the higher ups to just close access during all this. Decisions don’t just effect you and your partners these days.
    Condolences to the victim's family and friends but if there is any common thread between the accidents and close calls we have been seeing recently it's the time of day. The last few accidents here in the san juans, the Superior close call, etc. I don't have enough knowledge of teton pass to say that line wouldn't have slid earlier in the day but let's tighten it up people, get up a little earlier or just call it once the sun starts cooking.

I wasn’t on the pass, but was out and about that and it was cold/cloudy/snowy for the majority if not all of it.

Well said PC.

Far too many people are still skiing high consequence terrain thinking they have dialed it back and not just in the Tetons.

Sorry about your friend.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

My comments were certainly not directed at yours Peacecoast. Sorry if they were recieved that way.

There were a few comments on the last page about the forcast, and I've heard the same sentiments from a few others in person. That people felt the day should have been called considerable...ect.

My only point was that I think our perception of what "moderate" stands for on the danger scale can get skewed sometimes.

Vibes to all involved, I'm sorry for your loss Peacecoast.
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

We seem to have this conversation every year when there are near misses on 'spicy moderate' days as we've heard them labelled. When Mike K was killed on Pucker Face in 13' it was a moderate day that many questioned after a big upside down storm cycle with a persistent weak layer. All the signs pointed toward more elevated avalanche conditions to many. I'm thankful for our Avy forecasters, and storms this time of year can be tough to give a blanket label to. I'm confident depending on aspect etc you could have found low to very considerable danger on the day of this incident. RIP to deceased and a big thanks to the forecasters and SAR folks who look out for us. It's surprising just given the shear number of people who get after it in the BC here we don't have more skier fatalities.

Don't let your guard down, I'm hearing of a sled fatality today in the Snake River Range today. Stay safe and sane folks. These are strange times.

Obviously I have no idea what went through the head of the deceased or his partner, but Considerable hazard doesn't seem to slow many Teton skiers down from skiing high consequence terrain.

Well sometimes the rating doesn't relate well/acurate to the actual slope your about to ski...the exact situation that we are talking about here. That is why everyone is responsible for their own actions in every situation and should NEVER follow blindly what the overall report is saying. Spacial variability. Things are rarely totally consistent other than the rare storms that come in super stable or on the flip side when everything is falling off of the mountain all around you...then it's easy.

Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep View Post
    Well sometimes the rating doesn't relate well/acurate to the actual slope your about to ski...the exact situation that we are talking about here. That is why everyone is responsible for their own actions in every situation and should NEVER follow blindly what the overall report is saying. Spacial variability. Things are rarely totally consistent other than the rare storms that come in super stable or on the flip side when everything is falling off of the mountain all around you...then it's easy.
    Very true. My point was more that it wouldn't (and to your point shouldn't) have mattered.

It is just plain arrogant at this point to get in your car and go up to the pass for skiing. Good god people, winter comes every year. Stay the fack home.

And not to continue to flail that dead horse but, the advisories are merely forecasts for a wide range of areas/aspects/elevations somewhat like a weather forecast except with a much more dramatic potential outcome.

That is why everyone is responsible for their own actions in every situation and should NEVER follow blindly what the overall report is saying. Spacial variability.
    Shout that from the rooftops!
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Rendezvous Bowl looks as full as I've ever seen it. No tracks since the Ides of March.
    Closed at 461"; headwall plot is at 519" now...almost 5 feet in last 3 weeks.
    8 days left in the season.

447" for the 'Ghee

fuk'n uploader can bite me.
    Had a nice pic of the bowl packed full.

Rob Kincaid killed in that slide in Palisades yesterday. Teton Valley resident, pretty big deal in the brapping world. Nice guy, feel for his family.

Yeah, quite sad about Rob. I didn't know him well, but know many who did. That's a big hole in the community.

Are you fucking kidding me??????

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    It is just plain arrogant at this point to get in your car and go up to the pass for skiing. Good god people, winter comes every year. Stay the fack home.
    Agree with you, B30. Although, some recreation I think can fall under “essential”, guidelines.

Easier for me as I’m not skiing do to injury but I will admit, I enjoyed the shit out of my 1 hour drive around the valley today. Good tunes. Sunshine.

Jackson Hole 2019-2020 - &amp; The 'Ghee, The King, Kelly Canyon, Pebble Creek

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    Yeah as much as I hate to hang it up, it might be time. While I probably have a better chance of breaking my leg on the icy steps of my front porch than I do skiing the mellow, I don’t want have to call SAR because something went south on me. Time to get out the fly rod.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by gtid View Post
    Yeah as much as I hate to hang it up, it might be time. While I probably have a better chance of breaking my leg on the icy steps of my front porch than I do skiing the mellow, I don’t want have to call SAR because something went south on me. Time to get out the fly rod.

I’m mostly right there with you. Sleds getting some end of season work done Monday then into storage, alpine skis are getting a heavy coat of wax, I’ll keep my touring skis handy for a lap up SK a few times a week. Figure I can get myself down SK and to the ER with out calling SAR.

I have both broken six ribs and torn my ACL/etc on Snow King. The ACL was skiing with my 4 YO on groomers.
    Both involved patrol, but not SAR.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

So if mellow backcountry skiing is out, what's in? SAR gets called out for fishing/boating incidents. Road biking is far too dangerous for me. I broke my collarbone once riding around the neighborhood, that was an ER trip. I feel like I'm less likely to put the system at stress skiing than almost anything else I do. It's the only thing I'm actually good at.

Point considered, Beer30. There is a point here, but this is sort of a false dilemma. It CAN be arrogant to go out, but there's a difference between skiing dangerous terrain and choosing conservative routes in moderate danger, which most skiers have done, did on that day, and will continue to do. If you walk from your house to your car, drive to the lot alone, stay distanced from folks, skin up, ski down, get in your car, drive back home, what's the problem? With self-serve gas pumps and gloves, that's tantamount to self-isolation. Might you get hurt unexpectedly? Maybe, but conservative choices in the BC equate to, as mentioned already, riding your bike along a highway (did that today myself, and some kid in a Mazda got way too close for comfort at 60 mph--maybe that's irresponsible?), or taking a run, or driving your car. We could run statistics on avalanche burials per skier capita vs more common "approved" accidents. I'm not saying it's not safe just to stay home--that's more certain--but if the yardstick is risk of injury, then all sorts of otherwise innocuous pursuits would fit that metric. Bureaucracy has to paint with a wide brush to cover all types of judgment (not apropos, necessarily, of recent events). But common sense plays a role, too. It's not all or nothing.

Be responsible and stay safe, both from slides and viruses.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    So if mellow backcountry skiing is out, what's in? SAR gets called out for fishing/boating incidents. Road biking is far too dangerous for me. I broke my collarbone once riding around the neighborhood, that was an ER trip. I feel like I'm less likely to put the system at stress skiing than almost anything else I do. It's the only thing I'm actually good at.
    Meh, a wise friend of mine posted this.
    Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post

We skied blue runs at Targhee today and it was lovely. Everyone was on their best behavior.
    Seems reasonable to me.

Those two should really meet IRL.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Those two should really meet IRL.
    They really should...