Page 84 of 89 FirstFirst ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 LastLast
Results 2,076 to 2,100 of 2210
    Damn, guess I should schedule Avi 2 sooner rather then later.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I've been wanting to do that too
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    I've been wanting to do that too
    I’ll look next week for a class. I’m hoping to take snowmobile Avi 2, but at this point I’ll take what I can get into.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Damn, guess I should schedule Avi 2 sooner rather then later.

rec level 2? looks like there's still some room left in a few classes. I signed up for my pro 2 the day it went live about 3 months ago and they all filled up shortly after.

Quote Originally Posted by noparking View Post
    rec level 2? looks like there's still some room left in a few classes. I signed up for my pro 2 the day it went live about 3 months ago and they all filled up shortly after.
    Yep, REC 2. I was hoping to take snowmobile REC 2, but I guess I’m behind the ball so I’ll take what I can find.

The dream was to take motorized Rec 2 somewhere down around Silverton. Figured it would be nice to see a very different snow pack.

Jackson Hole 2019-2020 - & The 'Ghee, The King, Kelly Canyon, Pebble Creek

if you’re wanting to travel you can get a free motorized level 2 in Truckee or SLT through Sierra Avalanche Center. They have a grant for free classes from green sticker money.
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 10-17-2020 at 08:16 AM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    if you’re wanting to travel you can get a free motorized level 2 in Truckeeor SLT through Sierra Avalanche Center. They have a grant for free classes from green sticker money.
    I retook Avi 1 at Kirkwood Mountain school, and wanted to check out a different location for Rec 2, but free is free... I’ll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronic View Post
    Cool! Now that I know what to look for I see a ton of other, better camouflaged features.

Quote Originally Posted by cdubski View Post
    Cause there aren’t enough natural features to hit
    This was my first thought exactly.
    Travis and I are acquaintances, his Father took me on my first am bombing run on a 16" pow morning back in 1991. On the Far Drift, when it was way bigger, his pops threw a coupla 2 lb'ers, nothing. Z cut it to the bottom and said bring it. Prolly my first kneedeep set of turns in R bowl.
    T was a mini grommet then. When they lived in the Aspens, he and his grom squad would throw tricks offa the roof of the house ca. 1996.

It is disappointing to see historic launch features getting a landing slope, or whatever that is below the rock, lookers right.
    That rock has long history in the valley for big air. Just rolling off will get ya 15' but a launch will carry you about 40' out and what feels like about a country mile to a landing.
    Also, that's just another level of bastardizing the Moran face. Formerly a last bastion of deep pow laps, it now
    sucks at about 9:27 on any pow day. Moran face is on the leeward dumping end of a huge ridgeline, gaining a lighter drop into the trees and often one of the deepest spots on the hill in any storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    My winter won't be complete until I meet up with you in one of those huts.
    We'll do it, fo sho! You in shape to huck that thing?
    It's gonna be a BYOB kinda season, I fear.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    Cool! Now that I know what to look for I see a ton of other, better camouflaged features.
    Uggh
    Anti cool

Bad enough that they blow shit up and smooth it out
    Now they need to build structures of wood?
    Fack no. So wrong
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Uggh
    Anti cool

Bad enough that they blow shit up and smooth it out
    Now they need to build structures of wood?
    Fack no. So wrong
    Yea, that video was lame AF

Without knowing the history of the place, I have to say the wood features are awesome. If the top natural terrain riders in the world think it's a good idea, who are we to say different? Who are we to say it's not necessary when we would just straight air, backflip or do a simple trick of it as-is? Or most likely....we would ski around that feature. They better tear down that shit when it's all done though, it's ugly in the summer.

I know at Bridger people like Tom Jungst were cutting tree limbs and filling in rocky parts with downed trees way back in the 70's or 80's. So seeing them do similar things is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I know at Bridger people like Tom Jungst were cutting tree limbs and filling in rocky parts with downed trees way back in the 70's or 80's. So seeing them do similar things is awesome.
    That's a whole lotta tree limbs and downed trees.... Granted, the gear those guys were on doesn't hold a candle to even the cheapest crap that a person could rent today.

There's also a world of difference between working with what's already there and hauling in dimensional lumber because they've gotta get so rad.

It’s true, Moran face gets completely ass fucked by giant moguls most days after a storm. However, without normal skier traffic, I bet it’s the TITTIES.

Back when the resort opened, you’d have to ride the Tram (or maybe original Casper lift?) and traverse to it.

God willing, someone buys out the Kemmerers and limits ticket sales, rips out the lifts and turns it back to 1972 again.

Everything was better when I was a kid... harrr harrrr harrrr

You guys sound like my grandparents.

Life brings changes. Moran Face got Vailed because the resort needed that because some account said it needed more blue terrain. Shit happens and now you have to look a bit harder for soft snow.

We can sit around bitching and moaning about how it used to be better, or we can go find soft snow. I choose the latter and if you can’t find soft snow 5, 6, 7 days after a storm, you aren’t looking hard enough. It’s there in bounds and out. If you don’t believe me, come for a lap some day. A few of you have and everyone’s come back happy. Gestepo claims I tried to kill him, but he came back with a smile on his face super happy still. Sorry bud.

As a middle aged mature skier that spent a lot of his young 20's installing hot tubs with fat to flat cliff hucks I gotta say, transitions are freaking cool af.

Being able to go out and design dream features with smooth landings seems like a pretty awesome job and in all honesty this isn't much different than modern day trail building which I'm also a big fan of.

skibrd is right, some of ya sound really old.

Id bet a few hundred bucks that in the next twenty years RS will get some lifts and blue groomers running down the softer contours. It's gonna happen, mark my words.

I'm definitely coming up once this Covid stuff goes away with my daughter. I'm going to ski her around and tell her about the good old days before the place went to shit......well fuck, I sound old too!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Wow, lots to unpack here.
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Without knowing the history of the place, I have to say the wood features are awesome. If the top natural terrain riders in the world think it's a good idea, who are we to say different? Who are we to say it's not necessary when we would just straight air, backflip or do a simple trick of it as-is? Or most likely....we would ski around that feature. They better tear down that shit when it's all done though, it's ugly in the summer.

If that same huckschmuck tells you to to hit that rock as fast as you possibly can, who are you to say different?
    It hasn't been necessary for the past 50+ years, maybe they need it to be easier before the tricks get harder off of it. Or learn to stick the landing.
    There's no need for that except to market the resort. And no, they won't be tearing that down. Bet$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    That's a whole lotta tree limbs and downed trees.... Granted, the gear those guys were on doesn't hold a candle to even the cheapest crap that a person could rent today.

There's also a world of difference between working with what's already there and hauling in dimensional lumber because they've gotta get so rad.
    I am all about little things that make the skiing more viable, like taking out a low hanging branch that makes an otherwise skiable line, unskiable.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    It’s true, Moran face gets completely ass fucked by giant moguls most days after a storm. However, without normal skier traffic, I bet it’s the TITTIES.

Back when the resort opened, you’d have to ride the Tram (or maybe original Casper lift?) and traverse to it.

God willing, someone buys out the Kemmerers and limits ticket sales, rips out the lifts and turns it back to 1972 again.
    Crystal Springs to Casper - Wide Indian woods to the rockpile then the treeline beneath CS. Ride, smoke, repeat. Or cutting the trav into MF for laps.

I used to hope a more skier oriented owner would step in, but now I don't think anyone will be interested in a bid war with Vail and Alterra.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Everything was better when I was a kid... harrr harrrr harrrr

You guys sound like my grandparents.

Life brings changes. Moran Face got Vailed because the resort needed that because some account said it needed more blue terrain. Shit happens and now you have to look a bit harder for soft snow.

We can sit around bitching and moaning about how it used to be better, or we can go find soft snow. I choose the latter and if you can’t find soft snow 5, 6, 7 days after a storm, you aren’t looking hard enough. It’s there in bounds and out. If you don’t believe me, come for a lap some day. A few of you have and everyone’s come back happy. Gestepo claims I tried to kill him, but he came back with a smile on his face super happy still. Sorry bud.

I'm not a follower.
    But thanks for the heads up on what life offers.
    Your GP's smoke a lotta pot?

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    As a middle aged mature skier that spent a lot of his young 20's installing hot tubs with fat to flat cliff hucks I gotta say, transitions are freaking cool af.

Being able to go out and design dream features with smooth landings seems like a pretty awesome job and in all honesty this isn't much different than modern day trail building which I'm also a big fan of.

skibrd is right, some of ya sound really old.

Id bet a few hundred bucks that in the next twenty years RS will get some lifts and blue groomers running down the softer contours. It's gonna happen, mark my words.

I'm definitely coming up once this Covid stuff goes away with my daughter. I'm going to ski her around and tell her about the good old days before the place went to shit......well fuck, I sound old too!
    I'll be 55 next week. Old is bullshit. For fucks sake.
    50 somethings here to school the kids. All day. Every day.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I've been lucky enough to be here for what I consider the golden age of American skiing. It's gonna take a lot more local cred and genuine insight to sway.

That's not directed at any one in particular, I like all of you and have skied with a few of ya.
    The old argument just rubs me as disrespect. Maybe I shoulda stayed on Okinawa.
    Fuck, now my knee hurts...

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    You ain't kidding.
    Been there...at night...whiteout. After I was sufficiently terrified of visionless driving , I pulled off at a rest stop and slept until the sun came up.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

This old man with follow old man DJ around and take his wisdom as gospel.....

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post

I'll be 55 next week. Old is bullshit. For fucks sake.
    50 somethings here to school the kids. All day. Every day.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I've been lucky enough to be here for what I consider the golden age of American skiing. It's gonna take a lot more local cred and genuine insight to sway.

That's not directed at any one in particular, I like all of you and have skied with a few of ya.
    The old argument just rubs me as disrespect. Maybe I shoulda stayed on Okinawa.
    Fuck, now my knee hurts...
    happy bday old man that can hang
    from anothers from a differnt mothers
    will call
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

You know I’m busting everyone’s balls DJ. And maybe that’s what was in my grandpas pipe all those years?

As a resident of a different big western ski resort, I’m trying to decide if I’d be stoked or not if they did Travis style stuff at my resort. Seems like most of these features are things I’d never hit anyway, so it wouldn’t affect me much. In fact, if these things attracted more bros to the already tracked out and played out inbounds bowls, it might mean less people in my tree skiing.

Seems mostly like “old man yells at clouds”.

Unless they keep these zones closed to prep for the event it probably wouldn’t matter to me.

Can inbounds things get skies out any faster than they already do? Does making something that rowdy more accessible really affect 90% of anyone?

Semi drunken Sunday thoughts while I watch Rodgers slap down Brady.

Last winter the line was closed well they were building the jumps and landings. I heard the powder was really really deep in there well they were building. Not that I would ever duck a rope. That’s against the rules...

I was cranky there, sorry.

I laughed at old man yelling at clouds. That's about right. It doesn't matter to me over there on Moran. I don't waste time on Teton lift skiing on big pow days.

The game has always changed, I change with it waaay more than you might think. Like a fucking chameleon. I gotta be malleable.

So, alas, I rarely get fat snow on the face or early enough to hit the rocks. I know all the sick lines in Moran though; I can lead or point you to the sendits in there fosho.
    Fuck, I mined that place when tourists were goatfucking the box for years.
    It was the T lift, not that stuff, that killed those 300 acres of amazing trees, rocks and extra deep turns for me.

What clownshoe said about not being happy if they closed it off...That'll prolly happen for comps but otherwise be open to anyone at other times. At least that's the usual MO around here.

It could be rad, I dunno. We could get 997" this winter with a 37% visitation rate too.
    Let's talk about that. Babybear would be calling in sick a lot.

It also occurred to me that if TRice can get the K's to pay for a new smokeshack, then hey, git sum!
    There was a help wanted ad online last spring for builders of this project. Looks like alotta pro spancered types got the dough. Hardest part of this is building abstract art on a rockpile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Irie vibez to my mbrothas SFB and 2F. Hope very much to make world class turns with you fellas this year. Age be damned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Who else is (almost) ready for a new thread for 2020-2021?

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post

We could get 997" this winter with a 37% visitation rate too.
    Let's talk about that.
    Amen to that my brother. We’re all dreaming about that up here on the Coast.