Page 87 of 89 FirstFirst ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 2210
    Thank you, Dj -
    for keeping it Real , your bar is high -
    the fellowship means more to me than I can effectively convey - years ago I learned sometimes,
    " Thank you" is all I have.

I will treasure the hat
    ( find my pm - anything I can trade I will )

lifts will turn soon -
    Many will ski and some already are --

through these forums,
    I learned yesterday that a regional leader - SkiBrule - is going to leave it up to MotherNature this year - And
    with no school groups , is going to operate three days weekly - conditions permitting...

it is sobering.

anyway.
    I apologize for the post drift -

I would like to keep this thread alive -
    Dj 's opening post is one of my all-time favorites ! !! And

I am looking forward to your opening of the 20-21 season, Dj ! Alrighty ! ! !

Respectfully. tj

ha ! I wanted to get a Top of the page ^bump^ on this - an all-time great post :

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Alright, Alright, Alright!

It's time for a new thread, like a Yearbook for each season.

With any luck, a multitude of you TGR maggots will be swinging through the Motherland this winter.
    I hope you shout out to some locals here as there are quite few who really dig showing others the hill and all it has to offer.

Skiing at The Vill is often more of a chess game rather than checkers. The angle of attack on any given day requires consideration of a multitude of variables: snow conditions, anticipated crowd size, lift opening timing yada yada.

This will be my 30th year here and it's still a challenge to nail it on the big days. I'm still the rare guy who beats the workers and stands in the dark by the Tram, debating where to start.

And for this assessment, one can have the single greatest run of their life. Over 4000 vert of untracked Blower, is fairly common if you're willing to get after it.
    And if you're gonna go thru all the caca to get here - Do not sleep in. You will regret that approach.

Rule # 1 - Get in front of the crowd. Bust out laps as strategically as possible.
    Rule # 2 - Don't let the massive line before opening freak you out. The lift system here can move a shitton of skiers in short order.
    Rule # 3 - Locals are polite, if not patient. We will talk your ear off if the vibe is right, maybe even show you the special places, our treat. If you're slow, that's ok, we'll wait or we won't.
    Rule # 4 - Skiing together really only means riding the lift together. Decide where point 'B' is and ski there (i.e. Thunder chair). We may not choose the same line, but let's ride up and have fun. Do it again.
    Rule # 5 - On the Chair. The majority here puts the bar down. If you pull it down too quick and hit a noggin, crunch an arm or rack the nuts next to you, it will get loud and rowdy real quick. Bet on it.
    Like, more aggressive than one would expect. Arguably the biggest faux pas.
    Rule # 6 - DO NOT assume you're the fastest, bestest skier out there. That's a recipe for disaster. Look uphill is a real thing here.
    ~~~~~~~~

There are a ton of extremely high caliber skiers here. All ages too. Very few of them are uncool. That's how we roll.

I always say - ' In a big snow year for the states, we are usually in the top 5 for season total snowfall ( competing often with AltaBird, Whistler, Tahoe areas) and in a low season, we almost always have more'. My 2nd year here we got 252", the least I've ever seen. I've had about 5-7 600" seasons. All very different.

I hope for the best, and plan for the worst. But truth be told, I'm always happy with whatever happens. I ski a lot. I am one of the luckiest guys on this forum.

I look forward to skiing with all the local and visiting mags this winter. Last year I started connecting with youse peeps at 11 @ Casper restaurant, mid mountain. Gonna be the default from now on.

Ski season opens here the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I'll be there with bells on; and my mega knee brace.

Already have a few mags lined up for Good Times;

But what about you? Are you gonna come and get some this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Bronic View Post
    Time to rename it to the "unnatural selection"

Pass parking scene/WYDOT priorities shaping up to be more of a shitshow than usual, and that's without accounting for the increased numbers of BC users that everyone's been forecasting.

I don't think it is any more of a shitshow than usual, more like WYDOT is just over it at this point.

The BC ski crowd needs to realize that the pass does not exist solely for their personal enjoyment at any time. No one is talking about eliminating access, but the level of entitlement to park in a brake check area so they don't have to work hard for turns is off the charts ridiculous.

To be fair, WYDOT isn't exactly killing it in terms of the pass either, but their jobs are not to ensure easy parking for skiers. Full stop.
    Live Free or Die

Lol! My sister was awarded a company trip to JH 4 Seasons this coming January. She doesn’t ski.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I don't think it is any more of a shitshow than usual, more like WYDOT is just over it at this point.

The BC ski crowd needs to realize that the pass does not exist solely for their personal enjoyment at any time. No one is talking about eliminating access, but the level of entitlement to park in a brake check area so they don't have to work hard for turns is off the charts ridiculous.

To be fair, WYDOT isn't exactly killing it in terms of the pass either, but their jobs are not to ensure easy parking for skiers. Full stop.
    You hit the nail on the head. The top of the pass is not a parking lot and never has been. It is a an area for trucks to check their brakes, but overtime the public has deemed it their parking area. I woulds strongly recommend for people to contact your local forest service offices on both sides of the pass and ask them why they have no come up with the funding to create a winter use parking area yet and light a fire under them. It's WYDOT's job to keep the roads open for the drivers and if they can get around to it maybe plow the "parking area"(which it's not). It's also good to remember that at the end of the day lots of these decisions are made in Rock Springs or Cheyenne and we all know how they feel about the Jackson area folks.

Quote Originally Posted by noparking View Post
    It's also good to remember that at the end of the day lots of these decisions are made in Rock Springs or Cheyenne and we all know how they feel about the Jackson area folks.
    If driving through those towns with 22 plates is any indication, then yes we know exactly how they feel about Jackson folk.

Parking at the pass 1990 style, plenty of open spots on a pow day. The VW Van was mine. (Sorry for the intrusion.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1990.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	345286

Well, two observations, one, the pass is closed to trucks when there is snow, so that takes care of the brake check thing.
    The other is that if they close it to parking up there, I can only imagine the pressure on Coal Creek, State line, and even 25 Short/Wimpy’s etc...
    Last edited by rideit; 10-28-2020 at 01:53 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I'd think that the ski community in Jackson could source together enough money to do the NEPA studies and build an expanded parking area up on the pass. I imagine that all you need is the right ring leader.
    Last edited by raisingarizona13; 10-28-2020 at 02:28 PM.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Well, two observations, one, the pass is closed to trucks when there is snow, so that takes care of the brake check thing.
    The other is that if they close it to parking up there, I can only imagine the pressure on Coal Creek, State Aline, and even 25 Short/Wimpy’s etc...
    Coal Creek is the last chance for semi-turn around. Could that be lost as well?

Yeah, with very few exceptions the top of the pass is a parking lot. Wydot helped no one by putting in the cable stop.
    It being outta commission from one dumb event and all drivers get affected to some degree.
    They shoulda spent that time and money expanding the summit lot.

This may be the winter that some really bad juju goes down up there.

I saw 2 new snow blasting avalanche Gazex apparati at the bottom of Glory slide path.

Sweet pic yeahman: 3 rear wheel drives, 2 vans and a saab with tons of snow...

It is pretty amazing how badly WYDOT fucked up that cable arrestor.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    It is pretty amazing how badly WYDOT fucked up that cable arrestor.
    they fucked up the cable arrestor AND actively de-commissioned the old ramps - made them unusable. Some bullshit landscaping, but you cant really remove the scar. It was an existing, functional, FREE redundancy which I bet they dearly wish they had available. Short sighted idiots.

Yeah, with very few exceptions the top of the pass is a parking lot. Wydot helped no one by putting in the cable stop.
    It being outta commission from one dumb event and all drivers get affected to some degree.
    They shoulda spent that time and money expanding the summit lot.
    I had to look that up. Never heard of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa5M3SBfOLo

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    The other is that if they close it to parking up there, I can only imagine the pressure on Coal Creek, State line, and even 25 Short/Wimpy’s etc...
    My thoughts exactly, I love having the top of the pass open, it at least diverts a shit load of potential backcountry competitors. There were a few instances this year where the top was closed and the state line/oliver lot was 3 rows deep.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Sounds like WYDOT came to their senses.

https://buckrail.com/wydot-will-plow...understanding/

I've always thought that they should have built the parking garage at the top of the pass as opposed to town. I'd like to see a masterplan for Teton Pass including more legitimate parking, pullouts for hitch hikers, snow sheds, warming huts, etc., and a plan including SPET funding to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    Lol! My sister was awarded a company trip to JH 4 Seasons this coming January. She doesn’t ski.
    To be fair, I'm guessing prob 70% of people staying there dont "ski" either...

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    To be fair, I'm guessing prob 70% of people staying there dont "ski" either...
    LoL! Your right. Just hoping no one else in the family will want to come with her so I can drive over and take advantage of the lodging and other amenities. She even gets "spending" money from her company.

LoL! Your right. Just hoping no one else in the family will want to come with her so I can drive over and take advantage of the lodging and other amenities. She even gets "spending" money from her company.
    Cripes, that's awesome. She should be psyched.
    Has she ever been athletic in her life? Like speed just a little? What a great vacay to learn to ski. Send her off to a lesson, we ski local mag laps, then you two at the spa at $$$$4 saisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolly the Mammoth View Post

I've always thought that they should have built the parking garage at the top of the pass as opposed to town. I'd like to see a masterplan for Teton Pass including more legitimate parking, pullouts for hitch hikers, snow sheds, warming huts, etc., and a plan including SPET funding to pay for it.
    FU KU NAY.

I'd vote for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolly the Mammoth View Post

we should start a non profit and get it all funded at old bills next yr

I picture a caddyshack style attack on the 4Seasons pool by maggots
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post

I picture a caddyshack style attack on the 4Seasons pool by maggots
    I’m game and I’m game!

Anyone have an idea what it would take?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Cripes, that's awesome. She should be psyched.
    Has she ever been athletic in her life? Like speed just a little? What a great vacay to learn to ski. Send her off to a lesson, we ski local mag laps, then you two at the spa at $$$$4 saisons.
    Don't forget the ski boot foot rubs!

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    Would we call it Pass Maggots? There was an informal working group that formed two or three years ago to try to make progress on Teton Pass skiing issues, not sure if its still active, I'll try to find out.