Page 15 of 89 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    If you like Japanese, Suda is excellent. All sorts of things on the menu, not just sushi and ramen. Right next to Moe’s.
    Thai Plate is always a solid choice as well (across the street from Moe’s).
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Nothing to report from Kelly Canyon. Not terrible, but.... could use some more snow. Yesterdays storm missed the hill, but west side IF got 7 inches. wtf.

We did go to Soldier Mountain yesterday. Tore the place a new one.
    Old and Getting Older........
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

Quote Originally Posted by powder_to_the_people View Post
    Hopefully you guys can give me some advice regarding ski choice for my first trip down to Jackson Hole later this week (flying in, so can only bring one pair). Will be skiing Thursday - Monday, hesitating between bringing BGs or 4FRNT Hojis, bearing in mind that the latter has been my daily driver the past couple of years, and I find they handle hardpack better. I see that a storm is coming in for NYE, which will be a nice change from the cascade concrete we've been getting up in Seattle! Super excited, will be bringing some stoke regardless. Cheers
    Bring the skis you're most comfortable with. BGs or Hojis more comes down to personal style/preference than one being significantly better on hardpack or powder.
    Last edited by swerve; 12-30-2019 at 03:59 PM.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Jackson Hole 2019-2020 - & The 'Ghee, The King, Kelly Canyon, Pebble Creek

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    One more question: any place we need to eat? Pica's, Liberty Burger, Momo's, Thai Me Up are all places we've loved in the past. Not so big on Roadhouse and Moe's. Let me know if there is anything like that we can't miss. We might try Bird, Snakehouse, Curry's or Sidewinders but haven't been to any of them. Good IPA is a big plus.

As DJ says, Ski Ya Soon.
    Teton tiger just off the town sq is a favorite. If you do a pass day, Street Food at the stagecoach in wilson is good- and bonus if you go there on a sunday and catch Bill Briggs playing music too
    Kitchen & Rendezvous bistro in town are also generally crowd pleasers

I’ve never heard of curry or snakehouse either but maybe you’re thinking of snake river grill (spendy) or snake river brewing- also enjoyable although I like the melvin beers at Thai me Up better.
    The bird has a good beer selection too
    skid luxury

I'll second teton tiger, the bird, and streetfood. Also handfire pizza is a new favorite of mine.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Quote Originally Posted by swerve View Post
    I'll second teton tiger, the bird, and streetfood. Also handfire pizza is a new favorite of mine.
    We come over the pass from Idaho to hit the MoMo shack.
    Last edited by new yabyum; 12-30-2019 at 05:39 PM. Reason: speling

I absolutely love Teton Tiger, but this time of year you can wait a good long time for a table and the food.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Thai Plate is always a solid choice as well (across the street from Moe’s).
    Would second this suggestion. I have eaten at Thai Plate every time I've been skiing up in Jackson. The tom yum soup has always been an excellent choice after a day of skiing. And their curries are very good.

Good plan on leaving early - I've never done that drive from the Front Range in anything but awful (read: great) weather to storm-chase. The crux can be the I-80 section between Laramie & Rock Springs. Although the drive through Hoback Canyon can be a white-knuckler as well. Much worse at night, as you can imagine...

Oh - and PM me if you want a "back way" to/from when I-80 at Rock Springs is closed for black ice and "adverse conditions"... you know, on second thought - that back way is really a pretty terrible drive as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Alright, Alright, Alright!

It's time for a new thread, like a Yearbook for each season.

With any luck, a multitude of you TGR maggots will be swinging through the Motherland this winter.
    I hope you shout out to some locals here as there are quite few who really dig showing others the hill and all it has to offer.

Skiing at The Vill is often more of a chess game rather than checkers. The angle of attack on any given day requires consideration of a multitude of variables: snow conditions, anticipated crowd size, lift opening timing yada yada.

This will be my 30th year here and it's still a challenge to nail it on the big days. I'm still the rare guy who beats the workers and stands in the dark by the Tram, debating where to start.

And for this assessment, one can have the single greatest run of their life. Over 4000 vert of untracked Blower, is fairly common if you're willing to get after it.
    And if you're gonna go thru all the caca to get here - Do not sleep in. You will regret that approach.

Rule # 1 - Get in front of the crowd. Bust out laps as strategically as possible.
    Rule # 2 - Don't let the massive line before opening freak you out. The lift system here can move a shitton of skiers in short order.
    Rule # 3 - Locals are polite, if not patient. We will talk your ear off if the vibe is right, maybe even show you the special places, our treat. If you're slow, that's ok, we'll wait or we won't.
    Rule # 4 - Skiing together really only means riding the lift together. Decide where point 'B' is and ski there (i.e. Thunder chair). We may not choose the same line, but let's ride up and have fun. Do it again.
    Rule # 5 - On the Chair. The majority here puts the bar down. If you pull it down too quick and hit a noggin, crunch an arm or rack the nuts next to you, it will get loud and rowdy real quick. Bet on it.
    Like, more aggressive than one would expect. Arguably the biggest faux pas.
    Rule # 6 - DO NOT assume you're the fastest, bestest skier out there. That's a recipe for disaster. Look uphill is a real thing here.
    ~~~~~~~~

There are a ton of extremely high caliber skiers here. All ages too. Very few of them are uncool. That's how we roll.

I always say - ' In a big snow year for the states, we are usually in the top 5 for season total snowfall ( competing often with AltaBird, Whistler, Tahoe areas) and in a low season, we almost always have more'. My 2nd year here we got 252", the least I've ever seen. I've had about 5-7 600" seasons. All very different.

I hope for the best, and plan for the worst. But truth be told, I'm always happy with whatever happens. I ski a lot. I am one of the luckiest guys on this forum.

I look forward to skiing with all the local and visiting mags this winter. Last year I started connecting with youse peeps at 11 @ Casper restaurant, mid mountain. Gonna be the default from now on.

Ski season opens here the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I'll be there with bells on; and my mega knee brace.

Already have a few mags lined up for Good Times;

But what about you? Are you gonna come and get some this year?
    page 15 seems like a good place to bump DJ's OP...

Good stuff
    ( the rest of the thread, too - Thank you, maggs... )

Inches of Rain on the south shore of Superior yesterday into today...

left in Rain this morn ,

came back through six inches of Ice and snow ( a foot is forecast )

in the midwest, this is a significant storm...

eighteen hours on the road Today

( I Am too old for this ) --

Thanks, maggs ( ! )

I live vicariously through You ! !

skiJ
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

I've driven through a few blizzards in the wee hours of the night. That can def spaz yer brain. Intense concentration for hours focused on the 20 feet in front of you. Telling myself how SICK the skiing was gonna be. And it always is.

Good call leaving Tuesday, Beece. Look forward to skiing witchu and the family. My $2 bet says you guys are gonna have fun.

Finally skied the box today. Latest date in my life to get up there. Chalky bumps were actually pretty good. Bumps. All over the place. Smoother lines to be found with a little trolling about first. Kinda busy today too. Maybe the apex of the holiday crowds, maybe not yet. Hard sayin'...

Cool pic of the lad, LBL. We'll be rolling your way after things fill in and soften up. Come over if'n ya ont to. We gots 1/2 offs for the villy and 2fers at the ghee for you two. Way to represent at Soldier, Solid.
    SkiJ - hang tough dog, that stuff will come back to you. Make adjustments, focus on the good parts and recognize the issues you can manipulate. Everything else is just life, pushing you around; push back and know taking laps and enjoying the carve, the rail, the sashay of finessed turns are in your near future. It'll happen. I plan on making turns witcha.

Of all the 'Snake' things around here, snakehouse is a funny one. Better add that to the list of local slangin'.

Elevens is in town in a few days to break out his new badass Igneous skis. That's just awesome. Fucking core skiing right there. And I can't rip with him, a bit disappointed.

Powder to the peeps - Def gonna be soft snow, bring the one that you can ski best on, any conditions. gonna be variable in the best way, so versatility will pay well. Shit underneath is still gonna be hard though.

Forecast is varying but seems to be for the better, not petering out too soon. Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Ski it all.

Ski Hard.

Quote Originally Posted by swerve View Post
    IAlso handfire pizza is a new favorite of mine.
    I sort of forgot about that place but we liked it when we checked it out last summer so thanks for the reminder.

Also another good one on the square, but usually a bit more crowded is Local. The bar area (your kids are ok there) is better than the restaurant side imo and if you are hungry early they have 2 for 1 drinks at happy hour

I absolutely love Teton Tiger, but this time of year you can wait a good long time for a table and the food.
    this is why I like to dine at 5:30pm lol. but I agree- at normal people dining time it'll be crowded

SkiJ glad you made home in one piece! that sounds hairball

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Ski it all. Ski Hard.
    this is the new quote
    skid luxury

Thanks for the bump SkiJ!

Rule #7 - No Parking. FKNA.
    - This should go without saying, but I'ma sayin' it. Stopping in the middle of a run is verboten.
    Yeah, sometimes ya gotta stop to help someone up or some other reasonable situation but generally, NO. Pull over to the side of the run, ideally, off of it. Chatting? GTFO.

It compromises others and makes them adjust to you. That's not their obligation so don't get mad if you get buzzed by peeps.
    I think it's rule #3 in the skiers code. Don't obstruct others.

Skiing, much like golf, entails manners and a sense of etiquette. It enhances safety and shows respect for better skiers.

Buzz the ski schoolers though. I bet 75% of the JH ski school is now comprised of skiers from the deep south. No shit. I dropped a fuck you bomb on a pack of 6 mtn workers on the Ganjala the other day. They didn't get why we were bitching about the lifties not loading full boxes at opening, on the first pow day of the season. We had been standing waiting for over an hour, while they just walked up at nine and got on in front of 400 people. All of them were from TN, GA and MS per their nametags. Schmucks.
    Speed cop guy says' Relax, chief'. He got both barrels with nowhere to go. He was simmering good. Didn't say peep in response. Fucking kids with no authority telling me how to act. Lets see how that goes, guy.

Has anyone tried the new Thai joint?

Another decent option I often forget about outside of 2-fer 1 season is Hatch.
    Super yummy Ahi Tuna tacos and such.
    Great Margs for you boozehounds.

I love a good Thai steak.

We’ve had some fun nights at the TGR place Continuum. We all piled in there the night after Christmas for a family dinner. Our food and service was fine. It’s easy for me to go there as it’s on my side of the Village and not far from the shop.

It sure was fun to watch Dean Conway, Micah Black, et al. ripping skinny skis whilst enjoying cocktails and burgers. Our kids went to every TGR opener for years, it sure was fun to watch them on a big screen again.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Daughters first glory ski yesterday. EasyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3326.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	207.4 KB 
ID:	308498

Annie's?
    Yep, the other night. They neglected to tell us they didn't have their liquor license yet until we already ordered some appies, so no booze, wine, beer. Maybe they have it now. Otherwise, most excellent service and food. Prices are far below what you would expect in Jackson and the portions are substantial.

Regarding Hand Fire - it was a favorite regular spot for us until we had an incident there this summer. I'm never going back, and prolly banned anyway. But the pies and service were always good. I kinda miss it like a dead friend, but never going back.

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    Annie's?
    Yep, the other night. They neglected to tell us they didn't have their liquor license yet until we already ordered some appies, so no booze, wine, beer. Maybe they have it now. Otherwise, most excellent service and food. Prices are far below what you would expect in Jackson and the portions are substantial.

Regarding Hand Fire - it was a favorite regular spot for us until we had an incident there this summer. I'm never going back, and prolly banned anyway. But the pies and service were always good. I kinda miss it like a dead friend, but never going back.
    Not gonna lie, kinda wanna hear the story.

^metoo. did it involve bear spray??
    skid luxury

It really shouldn’t reflect on Hand Fire - other than the staff did nothing to help the situation - but the incident is somewhat typical of what happens here with parents who give zero fucks about their rowdy chirren. Long story short: fat drunk dad of one of the kids I yelled at wanted to take it outside. We didn’t fight - my policy is to avoid tuning someone up in front of their young'uns. Instead I calmed his fat ass down and made him pay for our beers. But there was a lot of back and forth to get to that point that upset the staff and other patrons.

I see it at a lot of restaurants here, like at Spur just the other day. Wilson moms get upset if you ask them to control little Bridger who is running around the tables playing tag and almost a knocked a full tray of food out of a server’s hands. You see the same thing at Moose games.

Djongo and Swerve, thanks a lot for the prompt responses. Gonna be bringing the Hojis as they are surprisingly fun to ski in moguls, and I'm sure I'll encounter a few of those! And thanks for the restaurant recommendations everyone.

Djongo, do you still meet with people at 11 at Casper restaurant, or is that for established mags only? Would love to do a couple of runs with a local on one of the days, especially given how welcoming the vibe on this thread is! Cheers

7 degrees and giant light flakes coming down for the past two hours on the west bank
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    I see it at a lot of restaurants here, like at Spur just the other day. Wilson moms get upset if you ask them to control little Bridger who is running around the tables playing tag and almost a knocked a full tray of food out of a server’s hands. You see the same thing at Moose games.
    Have you considered Tippster's Trip-Em-As-They-Run-By Method? May work well in this case, although probably less likely to result in free beer...

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    7 degrees and giant light flakes coming down for the past two hours on the west bank
    Hell yes, I can confirm. That was awesome sitting in the trees getting safe and tons of big flakes throwing themselves down. Feels like winter now. And fargin chilly. The single digits w/some moisture in the air actually feels cold.

~~~~~~~~~~~
    " Wilson moms with kids named Bridger "

both need a tuneup.
    So fuckin'funny and so true.
    That shit makes my spine crinkle up.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    P2TP - I'd be happy to ski witcha. It doesn't have to be 11. I'm off my game for awhile so I'm wayyy more flexible this season. Likely other fun folks might take a lap on the right day. Everbody's jonesing for a big pow day right now so less sociable for a day or two. I will be chasing the pow hard next season. PM me to connect.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Thai stick, anyone? Bueller?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

S-I-J - I'll be getting w/you asap regarding the boot thang. Thanks.

~ back 199something we were trying to race the TRG crew down for first trax into Cheyenne, Y not, and the Hobacks. Early tram. Micah is in front of me before Ship's prow, on my left. I assumed we were racing to the HBs. Suddenly he banks left and launches into Cheyenne bowl and lands down near where the cliff band starts.
    So amazingly far, Onto steep, albeit deep terrain with trees accumulating fast ahead. It was easily the biggest launch I ever saw right there.

Nowadays it's nowhere near as good a landing as it was back then, before traversing was the cool thing. Fun times racing those dudes. I instead got firsties into y not in about 24-30" of medium density snow. I remember bcuz it was the first time I got sluffed thru the crux, fairly comfortably. What a rush. Not fast enough to concern me but a new thing to consider and remember. Good times.

Aiming to ski w/beece in the AM.
    Anyone else skiing tomorrow am?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cdubski - cool summit pic. Holla sometime to lap the village.

Quote Originally Posted by cdubski View Post
    Daughters first glory ski yesterday. EasyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3326.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	207.4 KB 
ID:	308498
    I think we passed by each other a couple times on the way up yesterday. I'm up there everyday, black backpack with a steely patch.