Page 14 of 89 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    I'm living out by the Big Eddy and am used to cool sunsets and Alpenglow, but tonight was the best by far. This is straight out of the D7500 with no post processing, wish i Had caught it a few moments earlier. Sounds like Cody got hammered this weekend without incident thankfully.

We're to far east in the valley to see the girls, but Fred's and the back of Darby canyon were lit up. A early Holiday gift for sure.

Beautiful pics.

If any of ya want to come down to Arizona and ski we are getting a bunch of snow for Christmas!

It's not that often we get to do that to you Teton folks.........
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Unless you guys don't like it, I'm just gonna dump a couple photos in this thread every time I do something I thought was fun. So if that makes anybody unhappy, please let me know and I'll stop!

Had to drop the beloved at the airport early this morning and used it as an excuse to go for a walk in the park. Took us a little over the eponymous four hours, thanks to trail breaking and route finding.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07791.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	874.4 KB 
ID:	307539

Name:	DSC07838.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	674.4 KB 
ID:	307540

Name:	IMG_0711.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	759.6 KB 
ID:	307541

Name:	IMG_0801.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	307542

cy, absolutely keep doing posting that stoke. solid work on 4 hour, and snow conditions look wonderful. did you dig a pit? I'm guessing that weak layers were less of a concern with the southern exposure...

Quote Originally Posted by LesterSmoove View Post
    cy, absolutely keep doing posting that stoke. solid work on 4 hour, and snow conditions look wonderful. did you dig a pit? I'm guessing that weak layers were less of a concern with the southern exposure...
    It looks a lot better than it skied hah! There was quite a bit of crusty old debris and rocks in there that made turns a crapshoot, either faceshots, or coreshots, not much between.

That old persistent layer we've got is less of a concern in 4 Hour I believe. It's so south facing, I don't think it held much, if any snow from that cycle, and everything that's in there has gotten baked. Didn't dig a full pit, but dug a bunch of hand sheers, basically storm snow on top of well bonded crust/ice/crap. Ski cut released minuscule pockets of storm slab that would run a few feet really slowly. My biggest concern was that big snowfield to the skier's right of the bottom, it looks like it has a tendency to slide into the line. But it already had, probably right after the last storm, decent size debris pile, and bare rocks and dirt in the path.

Fun to get some redemption on that line though!

lovin the holiday stoke guys
    not mine, new neighbors snowman i like him already

Name:	neighbors snowman.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	307552
    santa delivered early,great skiing out the gates today
    never had a 1st box xmas, must try
    merry xmas y'all

Xmas came early. Free refills with my boy snaking DJ's line through Caspar. He's hollering, it's a wonderland of powder the whole way down. Nice.

Merry Christmas all!

Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Well hell, that was a fun day, no?
    The classic 4" call for 24 hours, when I had at least 6-8 in town; 24" at the end of the driveway from the plow.
    I debated bailing for a rest day but since fresh snow finally and peeps coming in droves, decided to go.
    Plowing the lots at 8:30 started an argument. Boogied to TW,AV, Teton then Casper for Cow Pow for 5 runs.
    That was sweet untracked from 3" on groomer to about 8" on groomy sides, and then deeper as you peeled off into the woods.
    Finally tried to charge a little pow today with fairly positive results.
    Sure was nice carving in fresh snow instead of managing the manmade stuff lately.
    I'm skiing with looser legs for now trying to absorb impacts but man does that tire me out fast.
    Hard to not just launch into my usual angle of attack on everything. More power and efficiency that way but way less response like I need so gots to slow down.

A little snow goes a looooong way here. Still flurrying in town.

Overall snowpack is not deep but coverage is pretty good and looks like it may tough it out thru the Holidays.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Passholer - get some shots and holla on upper mtn. conditions. willya?

Bring the stoke Cy.

Koko - teach him all the sweet shots. I noticed my line had 2 skinny little tracks in there. I smiled.

Skiing mid mtn. was tits today...

Also: choice Alpenglow pics, snoozed right thru that one.

Just , ,,, Love this thread, Dj and all --

' will look forward to reading of hutash's pilgrimage
    ( what an ordeal they are Almost through ! !!! - I Hope ! !!! )

Second day was not as Bad as the first, but spinal arthritis is going to require Some adjusted expectations. . .

Still. - we have some young parents that are comin' out with young kids ...

to see the Joy in Both their faces ...

I Am Glad I am There.

Christmas wishes, maggots, maggettes, and splat : FknA (!)

skiJ

ps. I Love this thread --
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

Hi- visiting from Tahoe... if I wanted to ski mt Taylor tomorrow, should i boot up the S ridge or skin up the SE. was thinking about skiing the west facing trees that I’m looking at on the topo map, unless someone local tells me that’s a bad idea?... any help is much appreciated- thanks in advance !

Quote Originally Posted by hyphyrecords View Post
    Hi- visiting from Tahoe... if I wanted to ski mt Taylor tomorrow, should i boot up the S ridge or skin up the SE. was thinking about skiing the west facing trees that I’m looking at on the topo map, unless someone local tells me that’s a bad idea?... any help is much appreciated- thanks in advance !
    Skin up the SE ridge, unless you're out very early there is usually a skin track set. There are a few lines going W/SW off the summit but I don't think those will be quite filled in, they are also a bit cliffy depending on where you go. I would ski back down a similar route to the skin track. Last time I was up there a little over a week ago snow coverage was good but still plenty of things to hit.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

best christmas gift I received yesterday was skiing with 3 great lady friends. It was greybird in town until -boom- beautiful, sunny skies up high

Name:	IMG_0088.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	658.4 KB 
ID:	307713

Name:	IMG_0124.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	972.1 KB 
ID:	307714

we must have been good this past yr bc we found powder turns even a day after the storm

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	765.5 KB 
ID:	307715

Name:	IMG_6181.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	513.4 KB 
ID:	307716

Name:	IMG_0111.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	736.1 KB 
ID:	307717

Name:	IMG_0117.jpg 
Size:	552.8 KB 
ID:	307718
    back in tram line. happiness
    hope you all had a merry christmas too!
    Last edited by babybear; 12-26-2019 at 11:40 AM. Reason: protect identities :P
    skid luxury

Another Christmas powder day!

Yesterday was beautiful. Powder was great. There are far less people here this year. None of the overcrowded silliness of past years. This pic was taken at about 10:00 or so. Not a person in sight at the top of Gondi. It’s very quiet at the Village.

Name:	IMG_0101.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	515.2 KB 
ID:	307722
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by hyphyrecords View Post
    the NW trees are really fun, but there was definetly snow holding in there from the Oct snowstorms (ie poor structure). It is a bit of ridgewalking to get past the cliffs and kinda a pain to get out of there. see the avalanche page on the BTNF about a recent event in taylor basin (your exit). I agree with the recommendation to ski the S face but stay out of the gut (skiers L)

Thanks for the beta! I somehow managed to miss the track going towards the SE ridge and ended up on the right side of the creek and went up the low angle meadow that seemed to be like a north arm of Glory? No tracks, super deep, and broke trail to the top around 10k... was great exercise and safe downhill for a solo mission so no complaints!

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    best christmas gift I received yesterday was skiing with 3 great lady friends. It was greybird in town until -boom- beautiful, sunny skies up high

Name:	IMG_0088.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	658.4 KB 
ID:	307713

Name:	IMG_0124.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	972.1 KB 
ID:	307714

we must have been good this past yr bc we found powder turns even a day after the storm

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	765.5 KB 
ID:	307715

Name:	IMG_6181.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	513.4 KB 
ID:	307716

Name:	IMG_0111.jpg 
Size:	736.1 KB 
ID:	307717

Name:	IMG_0117.jpg 
Size:	552.8 KB 
ID:	307718
    back in tram line. happiness
    hope you all had a merry christmas too!
    Looks delicious... I'm jealous

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    It’s very quiet at the Village.
    Very quiet today at Snow King compared to this day last year as well.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Yup, all quiet on the Western Front. Crowds have been manageable if not downright small. 1-2 car wait for the box right now, 2-5 minute wait at ganjala. Upper chairs are out the maze but moving well. For 2 days after Christmas, this is nothing.

Christmas morning, first ride up with a local gal, chatting. 2 skiers roll onto easy groomer below from side trees. Her smile is HUGE. She yells over to her fella - " That was the best tree trail in Jackson hole! " We both just immediately start cracking up. I was almost embarrassed how loud I laughed and totally involuntary, just exploded out. Gal on chair laughing asks rhetorically, 'what's a tree trail?' Two on snow are still just gushing over the run. It's a kids line through the trees between 2 beginner runs, lotsa curves and banks for the youngerns to play on. These two FDBs got first trax in there on about 1 inch of cowPow. And SOLD! Skiers for life.

That nugget really made my day.

Damn Babybear- RS looks excellent. I wanna go...

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Very quiet today at Snow King compared to this day last year as well.
    you aren’t kidding. skied nice quasi fresh powder at 3pm this afternoon. #afternoondelight
    wasn’t sure if you were still working at the king this yr.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Damn Babybear- RS looks excellent. I wanna go...
    dang I should have invited you along! you would have liked my crew of lady skiers
    The RS exit is much better than it was last weekend too so not too sketchy for getting the leg back in OB shape.
    holler if you plan to head out skiing tmrw
    skid luxury

Jackson Hole 2019-2020 - & The 'Ghee, The King, Kelly Canyon, Pebble Creek

Hopefully I can ask this crew some driving / forecast advice. We are coming up Tuesday or Wednesday from the south. Teenage kids are pushing hard for Wed cause they wanna party for NYE with their buddies. Snow > party. Clearly their priorities are messed up!

Anyway, roads Tues look dry. Wed starts the snow. Any opinions on how bad roads will be Wed? Will they be bad enough to tell young partiers to suck it up, we have to drive Tuesday?

Never driven to Jackson in a snowstorm so I don’t know what to expect with road maintenance, localized heavy dumps, etc. Also kinda hard to tell how hard it’s gonna snow...

I would really appreciate anyone’s info and thoughts.

Even in the worst weather, if the roads are open, one is good to go. Just go, slow. Horrible driving is fun after a while.
    Last edited by skiing-in-jackson; 12-29-2019 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Syntax
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Yo Beece - The weather looks to roll in after sunset on Tuesday. Wednesday weather is shaping up to be serious blowing snow.

Where you're coming from is only a slight consideration as weather is coming from the NW.
    Driving UP from any direction is usually pretty easy and road plowing is excellent. Lotsa how that goes, depends on you. Don't get gripped.

Driving will be easier by far on Tuesday and skiing is prolly gonna be tits on weds. AM. Less peeps from the night before, partying.

Snow is holding up well with light flurries now. New years day will likely be the best skiing of the season so far.

Show up, get up, get in line and have great skiing at the village for a few hours, maybe all day.
    Initial forecast for the vill is around 7-10" but with big wind, that'll ramp up. And maybe a bit more before it peters out. Then more incoming for the weekend. Good timing.
    PM me if ya need more info, ski ya soon.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cold temps have kept the hill well covered considering the meager snowfall lately. A smart skier can go almost anywhere now.
    OB is getting it's initial workout too.

Negative temps, a strained quad muscle and crowds have kept me off the hill for 3 days, NBD. Anxious to get rolling again though. Time to get geared up...

Weather tidbit: on New years eve of 1978, it was 49 degrees BELOW zero.

Passing through the Teton zone tonight. How is the pass skiing at the moment? Thinking of a quick lap tomorrow morning.
    High probability of watching the Sunday night game somewhere...thinking Tatanka or the wolf

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Hopefully you guys can give me some advice regarding ski choice for my first trip down to Jackson Hole later this week (flying in, so can only bring one pair). Will be skiing Thursday - Monday, hesitating between bringing BGs or 4FRNT Hojis, bearing in mind that the latter has been my daily driver the past couple of years, and I find they handle hardpack better. I see that a storm is coming in for NYE, which will be a nice change from the cascade concrete we've been getting up in Seattle! Super excited, will be bringing some stoke regardless. Cheers

Thanks to all with the driving comments both in the thread and privately. I really appreciate it. We decided to come up tomorrow. Easier drive, more peace of mind, and hopefully a great day on snow Wed.

One more question: any place we need to eat? Pica's, Liberty Burger, Momo's, Thai Me Up are all places we've loved in the past. Not so big on Roadhouse and Moe's. Let me know if there is anything like that we can't miss. We might try Bird, Snakehouse, Curry's or Sidewinders but haven't been to any of them. Good IPA is a big plus.

As DJ says, Ski Ya Soon.