Page 85 of 89 FirstFirst ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 2210
    If we get 997” with 37% visitation rate, BBear better take a LOA haha. God it would be nice to just leave Protests, Pon2oons, or Shiros in the truck and never grab anything else. Imagine a year where 119mm wise skis are your low snow day skis. Would feel like Japan every single day. I’ll take it, but only if it comes in stable.

I’m ready for something, skiing, a new thread, idk what, 5 more weeks of work then it’s time to go.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Wow, lots to unpack here.
    . . .

I'll be 55 next week. Old is bullshit. For fucks sake.
    50 somethings here to school the kids. All day. Every day.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I've been lucky enough to be here for what I consider the golden age of American skiing. It's gonna take a lot more local cred and genuine insight to sway.

That's not directed at any one in particular, I like all of you and have skied with a few of ya.
    The old argument just rubs me as disrespect. Maybe I shoulda stayed on Okinawa.
    Fuck, now my knee hurts...
    hey, Dj -

happy Birthday wishes To You -

I hope you get 997" with 37% visitation -
    it reads to me like you have earned an epic season...

Thank you for the 'stoke' you created with this thread And elsewhere in the forums...

Respectfully. tj
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    840 is when the true bakers double down hard
    anything over 600 i gits to claim dibs on the green lighted 420 spare bedroom
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Yup, the next 5 weeks in JH are the toughest. Funky weather mixed with anticipation is always a challenge for most winter types 'round here.

Dibs always has dibs. Benny says come on up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Got a big day today. Heading 3 hrs. north to Big Sky to hang with mags Harry and Talisman. Gunfest v3.1 methinks for some plinking and kabooming.
    Gonna trade H. some work for his bike and just chilly willy around the Big.

Prior though, I'm going to I.F. to meet an ex ski racer from the 70's. He's a paraplegic now. Found each other when I responded to his ad selling vintage skis. This is gonna be cool, a little strange and maybe totally worth it.

So far he's listed these for me:
    Head skis -
    210 cm 'Competition Downhill' w. beartrap rotating heel and miller toes;
    205 'Standards'- no clamps
    205 '360's' - no clamps
    All black with yellow bases...

Rossignol skis -
    ST 650's - red,white,blue - w/blue bases
    ST 650's - pre-market blanks, (white topsheet) - blue bases; w/ Factory 'competition red' Look Nevadas.
    He also has pair of 1968 223 K2 DH boards if I understand correctly.
    And a pair of 1976 Fischers, red, blue, silver 223's.

He says he has a bunch of vintage rec skis too. I'll be taking pics, and maybe buying anything I like. Will report back with kewlness.

Dammit DJ, how long you in town for? I need to dig through the spare parts bin for some promised vintage shifter parts.

You around the Sorta Big through Wednesday?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    im trying to talk the mrs. into coming to visit ya halloweener weekend and git the snakey float and be happy on
    will be in touch
    bust some caps and give the bs boys a virtial hug 4 me
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Morning guys,

My Wife and I are tempted to head to Jackson for Christmas for 5 or so days ski; any recommendations of where to stay?

I'll be 55 next week. Old is bullshit. For fucks sake.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I've been lucky enough to be here for what I consider the golden age of American skiing. It's gonna take a lot more local cred and genuine insight to sway.

That's not directed at any one in particular, I like all of you and have skied with a few of ya.
    The old argument just rubs me as disrespect. Maybe I shoulda stayed on Okinawa.
    Fuck, now my knee hurts...
    You don't fucking ski like you is 55. Happy happy man.

Hopefully we will see you early Jan, if the Ikon overlords see fit to allow us reservations on the hill. Already got the place to stay. Will bring beer. Hopefully find you for some turns and the 19yo gets there this time, and you can point him to lines to huck.

In the meantime, keep talking old and skiing young, brother.

Happy Birthday DJ!

If we get that much snow, the roads better be open from here to there, either side of the pass.

May be time to explore the area around here, a lot of meadow skipping. I know of one old timer that used to snowboard up in those hills. The FS used to even groom an area for xc.
    There's a crater about 6 miles from my house. Ages ago, the residents would take snow planes out there and spend the day skiing and sledding down the sides.

Sure, sonny.... ;-)
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Yup, the next 5 weeks in JH are the toughest. Funky weather mixed with anticipation is always a challenge for most winter types 'round here.

Dibs always has dibs. Benny says come on up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Got a big day today. Heading 3 hrs. north to Big Sky to hang with mags Harry and Talisman. Gunfest v3.1 methinks for some plinking and kabooming.
    Gonna trade H. some work for his bike and just chilly willy around the Big.

Prior though, I'm going to I.F. to meet an ex ski racer from the 70's. He's a paraplegic now. Found each other when I responded to his ad selling vintage skis. This is gonna be cool, a little strange and maybe totally worth it.

So far he's listed these for me:
    Head skis -
    210 cm 'Competition Downhill' w. beartrap rotating heel and miller toes;
    205 'Standards'- no clamps
    205 '360's' - no clamps
    All black with yellow bases...

Rossignol skis -
    ST 650's - red,white,blue - w/blue bases
    ST 650's - pre-market blanks, (white topsheet) - blue bases; w/ Factory 'competition red' Look Nevadas.
    He also has pair of 1968 223 K2 DH boards if I understand correctly.
    And a pair of 1976 Fischers, red, blue, silver 223's.

He says he has a bunch of vintage rec skis too. I'll be taking pics, and maybe buying anything I like. Will report back with kewlness.
    HBD brother! Don' t take my words to heart, JXN is still the shit but things have changed. Good for yall I guess. Get some or whatever. I sure can't afford that place
    dirtbag, not a dentist

New picture - lower tramline. What is that stuff?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0285.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	344187

Jackson Hole 2019-2020 - &amp; The 'Ghee, The King, Kelly Canyon, Pebble Creek

^ ECB - erosion control blankets. Otherwise known as straw mat

Guessing they seeded that whole mess beforehand as well.

been a while since I've skied the resort - how long has that snowgun been there on lower tramline?

It could be rad, I dunno. We could get 997" this winter with a 37% visitation rate too.
    Let's talk about that. Babybear would be calling in sick a lot.
    I approve of this message
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    New picture - lower tramline. What is that stuff?

Name:	IMG_0285.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	344187
    Wow, it pops on the webcam. And it goes all the way to thunder.

I thought they were just grooming the crux.
    Looks like they manscaped the whole entire run.

That will be fucking crowded and dangerous.
    Its lower bivouac
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    im trying to talk the mrs. into coming to visit ya halloweener weekend and git the snakey float and be happy on
    will be in touch
    bust some caps and give the bs boys a virtial hug 4 me
    We'll be killing lumber here shortly;will get back atcha regarding the snake action.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    You don't fucking ski like you is 55. Happy happy man.

Hopefully we will see you early Jan, if the Ikon overlords see fit to allow us reservations on the hill. Already got the place to stay. Will bring beer. Hopefully find you for some turns and the 19yo gets there this time, and you can point him to lines to huck.

In the meantime, keep talking old and skiing young, brother.
    Thank you my friend, I'm still hanging. Did you try to get reservations for skiing on your lodging dates yet? I think you can do it anytime now. DO IT.
    Yeah, your boy was illin' last time. Look forward to laps with the 4 of yas.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    Happy Birthday DJ!

If we get that much snow, the roads better be open from here to there, either side of the pass.

May be time to explore the area around here, a lot of meadow skipping. I know of one old timer that used to snowboard up in those hills. The FS used to even groom an area for xc.
    There's a crater about 6 miles from my house. Ages ago, the residents would take snow planes out there and spend the day skiing and sledding down the sides.
    Thank you, ma'am. Appreciate the Birthday wish. Double nickels for me. Arrive alive at 55.
    You'll need a sled to get here in those conditions but the ghee or Kelly canyon would be awesome.
    That crater would make a great Trip report subject. Sounds cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Sure, sonny.... ;-)
    That elicited quite the laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    HBD brother! Don' t take my words to heart, JXN is still the shit but things have changed. Good for yall I guess. Get some or whatever. I sure can't afford that place
    Right on, right on, right on.
    It took me decades to get a few ducks in a row balanced on ice cubes.
    Maybe not but ya got friends here who can hook you and the daughter.
    Ski ya next season?

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    been a while since I've skied the resort - how long has that snowgun been there on lower tramline?
    Prolly a T off from the mainline on Lower GV. They replaced the original line on GV last summer and may have done it then.
    [QUOTE=babybear;6102423]I approve of this message [/QUOTE/

997" x 37% = 100+ day season Tiiiiitttaaaaayyyyzzzz.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    They used to just buy hay bales and get a crew of 10 workers to walk down the slope and shake broken bale chunks onto the fresh summer grooming grading. Haytians we were called. I shook hay on Moran and Upper Werner in Fall 90.

Looks like now they get it in rolls; also that pitch is steeper there.
    They took the hump outta the center fall line so now they'll be able to groom it faster and easier and yep it'll be a racetrack to a clusterfuck.

Money bet says wherever people choose to merge into Lower GV will be an issue.

Money bet says wherever people choose to merge into Lower GV will be an issue.
    I’m thinking the crossover to gv at the bottom is now roped off. Or at least has a mid rope angling into gv to control the merge.

Then there’s the straight out Mach looney option to merge with the union pass traffic, which is even more scary.

It’s a hella change to the lower mountain.
    . . .

I remember when I turned Schfifty-Five.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    It’s a hella change to the lower mountain.
    RIP to one of my favorite ways to get down at the end of a day

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    RIP to one of my favorite ways to get down at the end of a day
    Yep. Even mid day. Or early morning. The traffic the last few years has been nuts, so lower tram line has become a great exit.

Name:	A399EB66-0D00-41E2-9FE7-8D4DED29BF3B.jpeg 
Views:	199 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	344263

Name:  FD0997F1-3EDD-4F5B-9DC0-F91E7D5C896B.jpeg
Views: 828
Size:  81.7 KB
    . . .

WTF BTNF

“They used to just buy hay bales...Looks like now they get it in rolls...”

Yeah, rolls of plastic bird netting. I could tell you my hero story about that but I’ll keep it short. And this plastic breaks down into little bits of plastic, not compost.
    I saw the hay bale system worked just fine when the new Casper lift went in and seemingly every revegetation project before that. Why all the plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by bighuckpunk View Post
    “They used to just buy hay bales...Looks like now they get it in rolls...”

Yeah, rolls of plastic bird netting. I could tell you my hero story about that but I’ll keep it short. And this plastic breaks down into little bits of plastic, not compost.
    I saw the hay bale system worked just fine when the new Casper lift went in and seemingly every revegetation project before that. Why all the plastic?
    I’m hoping it’s biodegradable.

But kudos to you for pointing out the plastic and the hazard to birds and other forest creatures

And mega kudo high five for making your first post 6.5 years after registering.
    Welcome, Jong bighuckpunk
    . . .

That particular ECB does not contain plastic. It is a mixture of straw and Jute woven into a fully biodegradable fabric.

And having done more of that than I care to remember, that is a literal metric fuck ton of erosion control and was expensive as hell ($ 2.00 a sq ft+-) and looks to have been very well done.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Looks like that straw and jute mat holds snow nicely.

Name:	tram_line.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	344419