Page 2 of 89 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Alright, Alright, Alright!

It's time for a new thread, like a Yearbook for each season.

With any luck, a multitude of you TGR maggots will be swinging through the Motherland this winter.
    I hope you shout out to some locals here as there are quite few who really dig showing others the hill and all it has to offer.

Skiing at The Vill is often more of a chess game rather than checkers. The angle of attack on any given day requires consideration of a multitude of variables: snow conditions, anticipated crowd size, lift opening timing yada yada.

This will be my 30th year here and it's still a challenge to nail it on the big days. I'm still the rare guy who beats the workers and stands in the dark by the Tram, debating where to start.

And for this assessment, one can have the single greatest run of their life. Over 4000 vert of untracked Blower, is fairly common if you're willing to get after it.
    And if you're gonna go thru all the caca to get here - Do not sleep in. You will regret that approach.

Rule # 1 - Get in front of the crowd. Bust out laps as strategically as possible.
    Rule # 2 - Don't let the massive line before opening freak you out. The lift system here can move a shitton of skiers in short order.
    Rule # 3 - Locals are polite, if not patient. We will talk your ear off if the vibe is right, maybe even show you the special places, our treat. If you're slow, that's ok, we'll wait or we won't.
    Rule # 4 - Skiing together really only means riding the lift together. Decide where point 'B' is and ski there (i.e. Thunder chair). We may not choose the same line, but let's ride up and have fun. Do it again.
    Rule # 5 - On the Chair. The majority here puts the bar down. If you pull it down too quick and hit a noggin, crunch an arm or rack the nuts next to you, it will get loud and rowdy real quick. Bet on it.
    Like, more aggressive than one would expect. Arguably the biggest faux pas.
    Rule # 6 - DO NOT assume you're the fastest, bestest skier out there. That's a recipe for disaster. Look uphill is a real thing here.
    ~~~~~~~~

There are a ton of extremely high caliber skiers here. All ages too. Very few of them are uncool. That's how we roll.

I always say - ' In a big snow year for the states, we are usually in the top 5 for season total snowfall ( competing often with AltaBird, Whistler, Tahoe areas) and in a low season, we almost always have more'. My 2nd year here we got 252", the least I've ever seen. I've had about 5-7 600" seasons. All very different.

I hope for the best, and plan for the worst. But truth be told, I'm always happy with whatever happens. I ski a lot. I am one of the luckiest guys on this forum.

I look forward to skiing with all the local and visiting mags this winter. Last year I started connecting with youse peeps at 11 @ Casper restaurant, mid mountain. Gonna be the default from now on.

Ski season opens here the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I'll be there with bells on; and my mega knee brace.

Already have a few mags lined up for Good Times;

But what about you? Are you gonna come and get some this year?
    Absofuckinglutely!
    Thank you Djongo my friend for the finest trip ever last season!

This year I will be back in JH for a week and then a week in BS (bring sacrificial skis?).
    Stoke meter is climbing and quiver is growing.

What's the typical deepness time?
    Early February? (my B-Day in the 7th!).

edit: Page top bitches!

In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

I’ll be up (mostly w wife and kids) for couple weeks Xmas/nye, last week of March, plus a couple other shorter trips mid winter. The twin daughters (12) are stoked to break into the backcountry, Corbets etc. Look forward to connecting w schwerty again and whoever else is around... it’ll be our 20th consecutive year and hopefully many deep days will be had.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9266.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	210.2 KB 
ID:	301312

Thanks for the tips and stoke. Gonna brave the intimidating ikonics wave last week of March before it becomes tidal. Haven't been since 98 from the east coast and now dumb enough to drive it from the PNW. I hope its not 50° and boilerplate 7/8ths of the day again when I get in town. Fingers crossed. Alarms will be set for 5am each morn.

Sent from my SM-G920V using TGR Forums mobile app

Playing it fast and loose but definately thinking a long weekend is in order.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Hey DJ, nice intro to the season. I'll definitely be over there with the new bionic hip - maybe as early as mid December. Got my 7-day plus pass so I'll be looking to get some of those "free" days in before the holidays! I'll look you mags up and we can get in some laps.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jackson Hole 2019-2020 - & The 'Ghee, The King, Kelly Canyon, Pebble Creek

Left the ghee one morning
    We did not like the iceee
    Mag pics showed JH pow
    Hard to believe only 12 miles

Went to JH at 1 that same day
    Met dudes in the lot
    Got us some $20 passes
    Used the leftover tie wraps

Hit the big red one
    Out the gate at 2
    Skied 4K of killer pow
    Best $20 that day for sure

Only time in life where I
    skied two resorts in one day
    Buddy did not believe me
    But he could not doubt JH

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I'm still the rare guy who beats the workers and stands in the dark by the Tram, debating where to start.
    A lurker!
    And you beat workers in the dark!
    I been packing heat going to work in the LCC on account of folks like you...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Here’s to the best season ever, and lots of pics and stories for The Ski Bum Diaspora.

Stoked for another year of doing dumb stuff in the hills!

And on that note, here's a TR from a little walk from Teton to Death Canyon on ski blades last weekend.

http://the-hoo.blogspot.com/2019/11/...-traverse.html

Maybe not enough snow to really ski yet, but plenty to get stoked!

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post

And on that note, here's a TR from a little walk from Teton to Death Canyon on ski blades last weekend.

We snowshoed into Table Mountain that same day! I was wishing I would have brought skis.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BC56E8A0-63D4-47CA-B874-6E834DE05106.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	301350

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    A lurker!
    And you beat workers in the dark!
    I been packing heat going to work in the LCC on account of folks like you...
    Ever since I learned to ski,( ca. 1978, mid-atlantic), I like to get up early and see how much snow fell overnight. Initially it was in hopes that school was closed. Nowadays snow in the driveway at all, means more at the hill, so then I'll check the computer for the hourly totals.

I am an early riser by my work schedule anyway. Driving out to the Vill with almost zero traffic, snowy roads and then getting there and parking front row is a dividend for sure.
    I may take 3 safety meetings at the car before the lifts fire off. But standing in a foot+ of pow at the base before the final cat groom, in the dark, smoking a bowl, as the first workers roll by to the box, is bliss for me
    Trollers on bomb and gun crews prepping for route avy control. They know it's me. 'I'll see you guys later, find me...'

And then there is the first tracks thing. There's freshies, and then there's firsties. Not the same.
    First down the Hobacks, RS, the Dark side, or the Cooler. Each is a run to remember. Run of a lifetime for most. Hobacks south boundary after a windy 20" overnight dump will treat you to about 3k vert with a single black pitch varying in depth from 12"-40". And nary a track for acres. Mindmelting.

~~~~~~~~~~

Baby Bear - where was my head? thanks for fixing my example. Smokeshax: RJ's hut, Big Red, Sherwood Forest, the Cooler Cave, Hoback cave/Blueroom, Eagle's nest, the back porch, The Bench, Whynot rock, Kung Fu shak (Bruce lee's), Gumby woods, Poma Palace, the Crown.
    Not the Haute Route, but the Hut route. Let's take a lap. And ask SkiJunky if he's ready to sell me those sweet Line protos he was on last year...

I'm on the weed wagon for a few more weeks, when the season begins. Sure coulda used a toke last night upon hearing of baby girl Oreo's passing though. That hit me so hard, it felt like I was holding my chin out there for a Mike Tyson hook.

Thanks for starting this thread- you’re the perfect one.

We’re looking forward to a great season!
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

DJ thanks for the compliment and I look forward to hanging again with more time getting to know ya. Alpy for sure (if you make it) and maybe I can pull off JH this year. Great stoke and hope you have a fruitful season!! Gitsum all you JH heads

...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-11-07_11-41-30.jpeg 
Views:	142 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	301380Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-11-07_11-41-17.jpeg 
Views:	141 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	301381

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    ...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-11-07_11-41-30.jpeg 
Views:	142 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	301380Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-11-07_11-41-17.jpeg 
Views:	141 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	301381
    Hell yes! Pic 1 going into the Couloir cave. Seen people auger going in right there, smack the wall, overestimate the entry slot, come in hot and have to bail only to realize the out is an air from 10-30 feet depending.
    Oh, the comedy of skiing.
    Pic 2 - a true JH testpiece, Horseshoe couloir; the unseen rock below is sometimes a slight ski over, often 10-20 feet though. Prolly Passholer and Supergaper ski that on the regular. A stellar start into Granite: 7 dwarfs, ABC chutes, the Needle...

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post

Strong work Cy!

This season is gonna be weird for me. Why?

Cuz BabyBear corrected me that OPENING DAY IS TURKEY DAY THIS YEAR. I had said it was the Saturday after. I hope I'm not 48 hrs behind everything...dangit.

They have been jockeying the opening day for about a decade now.

edit: and they're saying JHMR has 41" for the season already. Fucking marketing clowns.

only wanted to note that we could ski earlier than previous expectations- yea!
    and also noted that the season goes a touch longer than normal- closing day scheduled for Sun 4/12- typically more towards the beginning of april, so I am excited as the skiing is often still great then
    skid luxury

edit: and they're saying JHMR has 41" for the season already. Fucking marketing clowns.
    Haha! Don’t feel bad, must be the same marketing clowns at my hill. 31” YTD from a storm two weeks ago, but no snow on ground until 8k and above that it’s patches

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    only wanted to note that we could ski earlier than previous expectations- yea!
    and also noted that the season goes a touch longer than normal- closing day scheduled for Sun 4/12- typically more towards the beginning of april, so I am excited as the skiing is often still great then
    While I appreciate what a great mountain you have, this just seems criminal. Opening day at Mammoth is this Saturday, and last year I skied lift served on my birthday (7/7). I didn't make closing day last year, which I think was 7/26?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I don't think the vill could make it to July, at least with any semblance of a decent product.

But they could make the end of May pretty much guaranteed every year, which is painful to see every spring.

They blame animal migration, which is true in the sense that tourists aren't migrating here for a week's vacation after mid-March.

That all being said, the tram opens up a week before Memorial Day and offers up some excellent high mountain skiing for a month or so usually. Some years all the way to the base. Twice in my 14 years here, they were pow days. Spectacular days.

I've also skied the ghee on July 4th. Able to catch a festival at the same time. That was kickass.
    Live Free or Die

Hell yes! Pic 1 going into the Couloir cave. Seen people auger going in right there, smack the wall, overestimate the entry slot, come in hot and have to bail only to realize the out is an air from 10-30 feet depending.
    Oh, the comedy of skiing.
    Pic 2 - a true JH testpiece, Horseshoe couloir; the unseen rock below is sometimes a slight ski over, often 10-20 feet though. Prolly Passholer and Supergaper ski that on the regular. A stellar start into Granite: 7 dwarfs, ABC chutes, the Needle...
    Horseshoe to Triple A used to be my most favorite North Side Tour!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

It's true, South Hoback after a southerly storm is ah-mazing.

Last time we went, there was 42" that closed the mountain and my wife and I beelined for firsties on S. Hoback first thing next morning, chewing it the whole way down.

Last day of that trip, got heavily hassled and groped by patrol for coming out of Rock Springs after we'd signed out at the top (way before open boundaries became a thing). That was it for us.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Rock Springs was way better when it was illegal.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Rock Springs was way better when it was illegal.
    I think it was '94 and they had this sign out mechanism, so we signed out and did 4 shadows, cody bowl from the top, Green River, watched boarders shoot the closet slots on noname, then Rock Springs and traversed out and got BUSTED and shaken down by some massive asshole patrol right at the bottom feeder from S. Hoback to the poma.

Never went back.

Before the Sublette quad, we used to skate from the top of Thunder around to hit Bird in the Hand, Cherry Slide, Alta Chutes, Pepis, etc, all barely skied ever.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<