Page 18 of 89 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post

Now that it's softening up, I wanna go over to Kelly canyon for a day. A quiet, snowy day to really love it up. Soon now.

Forecast for the next 10 days is roughly light snow punctuated with heavier snow, with some snow on the side.
    I have worked the hill damn near every day for 3 weeks. I have the next 3 days off. Going snowboarding.
    Old and Getting Older........
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

I'll be there sometime at/around the 15th. Would be great to see you again Djongo (we linked up for a bit when I was out there for a couple weeks winter 17/18) and see the larger crew.

So deep off the Pass today!! Video is blurry but whatevs. So grateful to be back for a good cycle

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Everything has just been too dang good!

Face shots on the pass Friday to wear the dog out and holy crap!? Did everyone and their mom decide to ski Mail Cabin at 2PM on Friday? Never seen so many folks in there. Sorry if my dog acted like a hyena at yours. She does that sometimes, we bought a used dog and it turns out she came with baggage. We're working on it.

Went on a little solo wander Saturday, tried the fat bike approach up Teton Canyon, turns out, it needs to be way firmer than it was. 14 miles round trip, with biking and skiing, and those four miles out were one of the hardest things I've done in ages.

Olive Oil on Sunday, thanks to whoever left the excellent skin track, and the snow caves.

And the 'Ghee this AM with some excellent turns to be had.

Feels like winter again!

Pow Day!
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Was going to go snowboarding today, but first took a photo of the new pup.

She lives here now and won't come out....guess I'm never going boarding again.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

Nice pics of the pup, LBL!

Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post

So deep off the Pass today!! Video is blurry but whatevs. So grateful to be back for a good cycle

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Wooohooooo.... Woah... Wooohooooo repeat

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Slide just out of bounds at targhee today. 3 caught and carried, 2 fully buried. member of the party that was not fully buried pulled every out. stay safe!

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    Everything has just been too dang good!

Face shots on the pass Friday to wear the dog out and holy crap!? Did everyone and their mom decide to ski Mail Cabin at 2PM on Friday? Never seen so many folks in there. Sorry if my dog acted like a hyena at yours. She does that sometimes, we bought a used dog and it turns out she came with baggage. We're working on it.

Went on a little solo wander Saturday, tried the fat bike approach up Teton Canyon, turns out, it needs to be way firmer than it was. 14 miles round trip, with biking and skiing, and those four miles out were one of the hardest things I've done in ages.

Olive Oil on Sunday, thanks to whoever left the excellent skin track, and the snow caves.

And the 'Ghee this AM with some excellent turns to be had.

Feels like winter again!
    The last two days at the 'Ghee have been amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by haysman16 View Post
    Slide just out of bounds at targhee today. 3 caught and carried, 2 fully buried. member of the party that was not fully buried pulled every out. stay safe!
    That's crazy, glad they're OK.

big skier triggered slide in broken branch also,no one hurt. weather stations show a warm up way too fast today .next 48 hrs look sketchy

Hear it was just off of Scottys with folks skinning back to the boot pack. Some folks are very lucky to be alive.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Hear it was just off of Scottys with folks skinning back to the boot pack. Some folks are very lucky to be alive.
    They must have triggered it from below, scary. When I first heard this report I thought it was the same spot in Steve Baugh that slid to the ground earlier in the season but this is a different spot. Might be a good idea to avoid Steve Baugh altogether this year, the pack is built on shit right now. Glad everyone is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    can any Targhee regulars shed more light on this?

is this a skin track that has been in and in use all season?
    avy report says slope angle is 36-40 - is that where the skinner goes/traverses, or is that the slope angle of where it might have released above when triggered from lower angle below?

haven't been back side of Targhee in many years, just trying to get my head around the terrain in question.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post

avy report says slope angle is 36-40 - is that where the skinner goes/traverses, or is that the slope angle of where it might have released above when triggered from lower angle below?

haven't been back side of Targhee in many years, just trying to get my head around the terrain in question.
    thanks
    The report says starting zone 36-40, I doubt they were skinning on that steep of a slope to get back to the boot pack, although the boot pack is pretty steep, my guess is that it broke above them near those cliffs on Mary's shoulder but would like to get more information. I know when we ski back there we try to skin as far from those cliffs as possible when heading back to the boot pack but sometimes we may get closer than we should.

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post

thanks
    So what happened was the party of 3 dropped out of Scotty’s on the way to Steve Baugh. Mary’s was not open at the time so the only option was to drop down and then go up. Plan was to ski the trees Skiers R of Steve Baugh.

After descending near Scotty’s, group decided conditions weren’t good, head back up to the Ghee. The traditional Scotty’s boot pack has not slid yet even with poor structure, but 100’ skiers R of Scotty’s has already slid big this year. The TL knew that, so instead of going up the normal boot pack, he put a skinner up climbers L, under Hollywood rocks trying to reduce hazard. 2/3 the way up shit slid and it buried the two people waiting at the bottom by the trees (“safe zone”)

I haven’t measured slope angle and with lack of viz/conditions no crown profile has been done, but ya, 35ish in that zone. Looks like it slid on facets just above the previous bed surface from the Dec13-15 cycle. Group made a poor decision leavin the gate but besides that good decisions were made and if it were anyone else it very very easily could have been and double or triple fatality.

Any terrain that is holding snow from Oct is very suspect, including Steve Baugh. The “safe” line in the trees has gone big in the past and if shit goes bad you are SOL.

Targhee is hard because the inbound is benign but just out the gates/ropes can be full on.

Edited to fix dumb spelling errors

Thank you.

Bump to follow cause I’m late to the party

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post

Rule # 1 - Get in front of the crowd. Bust out laps as strategically as possible.
    Rule # 2 - Don't let the massive line before opening freak you out. The lift system here can move a shitton of skiers in short order.
    Rule # 3 - Locals are polite, if not patient. We will talk your ear off if the vibe is right, maybe even show you the special places, our treat. If you're slow, that's ok, we'll wait or we won't.
    Rule # 4 - Skiing together really only means riding the lift together. Decide where point 'B' is and ski there (i.e. Thunder chair). We may not choose the same line, but let's ride up and have fun. Do it again.
    Rule # 5 - On the Chair. The majority here puts the bar down. If you pull it down too quick and hit a noggin, crunch an arm or rack the nuts next to you, it will get loud and rowdy real quick. Bet on it.
    Like, more aggressive than one would expect. Arguably the biggest faux pas.
    Rule # 6 - DO NOT assume you're the fastest, bestest skier out there. That's a recipe for disaster. Look uphill is a real thing here.
    ~~~~~~~~
    1) strategy is key, trust DJango
    2) the base area is small, the resort isn’t, remember that
    3) we are usually polite, but don’t cut the ducking tram line, I (as well as a few others on here) will bitch you out and shame you to the back of the line, the rest of the time we are pretty chill
    4) this is Jackson, do not follow one or two sets of tracks that you aren’t 100% sure are in your ability level, they may lead to someplace where patrol will need a rope (or ropes) to get you, it took us all time to learn this place, we will wait
    5) sublette is personally mandatory for the bar down, the rest depends, just don’t be a dick
    6) you aren’t the fastest or best skier on the mountain on any given day, and you won’t be, and that’s ok cause you still shred. Stop in smart places, and check up hill before getting under way again.

DJango, I’ll try to make a few 11 o’clock meetings. I tend to go on adventures and miss them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Wow yesterday was deep and now another 18"! Busted binding top of Moosebrush and the only people we saw all day come up as I'm trying to fix it. One is my best ski mechanic from yostmark. Happy birthday to me! Ps if you get the G3 Zed make sure you got the new heelpieces!

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Wow yesterday was deep and now another 18"! Busted binding top of Moosebrush and the only people we saw all day come up as I'm trying to fix it. One is my best ski mechanic from yostmark. Happy birthday to me! Ps if you get the G3 Zed make sure you got the new heelpieces!

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk
    Sorry to hear about the broken binding but sounds like you still got in some good skiing. Would you mind sharing what broke on the Zed heelpiece and how it was repaired?

I'm working on my magnanimity today.

After my best run of the season yesterday, I'm leaving the big overnight snow to the peeps today. 8" during the day, then 10" more of wind drifted bliss overnight.

First box was damn near walk-on. Hadn't jumped a firsty yet this season. Couldn't pass it up.

At the summit, was gonna let everyone peel out then have a quiet R. bowl lap. Nope, people were dickin' around; couldn't wait for them.

Went to the 3/4 trees and whoo boy! Untracked for a football field in front of me, money. Fresh blown in about 8-12", smoothish underfoot. no one within 200 yards of me.
    Blowing sideways too. I love that. I'd stand in a blizzard for hours out there.

Through the gate, one set of tracks blown in good. Had to be a troller or guide, so quickly in there.

They went around, I hit the gut of Ross' slide and the cascade of sluff was intense in 2 turns. Maybe a 40 degree pitch, parfait.

Pulled over to assess, liked it and took about 100 boot to knee deep turns with the stunning cascade all around me and before me.

Could not believe no one from the guided group hit my line. Rolled and strolled the smoothness all the way out to the base of the hobacks. Made my day.

Then went to make turns with my massage therapist friend, a pinner, and made the best of the mid mountain lines everyone seems to be ignoring this season.
    She's a XC racer type so showing her some fat lines for tele was fun. Kinda opening her eyes to the vertical vibe.

On my second run, I took my first real fall since the knee surgery, which has made me err on the side of caution today.
    Feels good this am, but with more snow incoming, I'm trying to not get reeled into the frenzy; Which I am still addicted to. Not the frenzy, but being ahead of it...

HMS' positive Irie pays off in spades! Daaaang, that's awesome. And yeah skiing just went off the charts around here.

Got out on the pass this morning, crazy busy, had to dig out a parking spot lmao. Tits deep turns all the way down

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

Headed to KC now. I think it will be a good day....

I'll report back later.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge