Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WTB: 185+ Touring Ski

Hey there,

I’m looking to buy a touring ski, 185cm+, 100mm+ waist to pair with my Kartel 108s. I think I am going to mount them both up with quiver killers for a Dynafit beast 14, unless someone convinced me otherwise?

Maybe do a 115 touring ski and then put alpine bindings on the Kartels? Not sure... I would appreciate some advice on this one hah.

I’m really looking for a ski that I can do some mountaineering on this winter, it needs to be stiff and sturdy on the downhill, a few extra grams uphill isn’t the end of the world since I’m used to touring with Tyrolia Adrenalin and Blizzard Rustler 11. Honestly a similar waist profile to the Kartels may be kind of nice because then I can just use the skins for both? Lazy approach I know...

Let me know if you have any advice! Maybe some 4frnt Hojis from Sterbenz?? 6’1 so I’m not willing to go below 185cm.

Thanks ski addicts.

WTB: 185+ Touring Ski

I have a set of 192 black diamond Zealots in great shape with one mount. 125 plus shipping and they are yours

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by kirkg8; 11-06-2019 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerjake View Post
    I appreciate it but for that price I’d rather get Hojis

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzey View Post
    I appreciate it but for that price I’d rather get Hojis
    Sounds like you have a price point in mind. Maybe you should include that in your ISO memoir. More helpful to keep offers relevant to your specific needs.

Sounds like you have a price point in mind. Maybe you should include that in your ISO memoir. More helpful to keep offers relevant to your specific needs.
    Somewhere around $500. Im also not looking for a 122 waist touring ski, but thanks.

lol. $500, $525 shipped. Not 122. But 115.

No worries, even with the parameters I still would have offered it.

Happy hunting!

lol. $500, $525 shipped. Not 122. But 115.

No worries, even with the parameters I still would have offered it.

Happy hunting!
    You’re coming off a little bit desperate

187 carbon fat Bros you know you want to them. If you can't use the plates the hole pattern is spread out so you have plenty of room for a fresh mount. 9.8 lbs for the set with plates in case your wondering

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...n-Fat-Bros-187
    Carry on my wayward son...

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Training carts are for jongs. I remember back when this forum had legit bull-fighters and not a bunch of posers.

Just an opinion....but...

While a lot people have had success with quiver killers, there are also a lot of stories of quiver killers pulling out. They are a workable solution. QK or helicoils or thread inserts are not meant to be screwed/unscrewed over many cycles which can cause the connection b/w ski-to-thread insert to wear out.

In my opinion, a better solution would be mounting your Kartels with a binding like the Shift or a Cast system. That gives you the good release/safety of an alpine binding with the better touring performance of a pin binding.

(Full disclosure: I have a set of CAST plates for sale. I had a pair of skis with dynafits and a pair with alpine bindings and bought them for the reasons above so both skis would be set to tour. Then decided that was too redundant)

[QUOTE=Jimi_Lee;5802909]Just an opinion....but...

While a lot people have had success with quiver killers, there are also a lot of stories of quiver killers pulling out. They are a workable solution. QK or helicoils or thread inserts are not meant to be screwed/unscrewed over many cycles which can cause the connection b/w ski-to-thread insert to wear out.
    /QUOTE]

Are there lots of stories? I haven’t heard of many, if any, issue on properly installed QKs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi_Lee View Post
    Just an opinion....but...

While a lot people have had success with quiver killers, there are also a lot of stories of quiver killers pulling out. They are a workable solution. QK or helicoils or thread inserts are not meant to be screwed/unscrewed over many cycles which can cause the connection b/w ski-to-thread insert to wear )
    Huh? I’ve Never heard stories of inserts pulling out. I’ve run inserts in many pairs over many many swaps with no issues...

Quote Originally Posted by yellofin View Post
    You’re coming off a little bit desperate
    Am I? Please please please buy my skis. PUHHHLEEEZE. I think that sounds a little bit desperate.

Actually just appointing some snark to a JONG here to field offers on deals from mags and when he gets a credible offer that is literally at his own acknowledged parameters that he feels qualified to throw shade on the asking price. Easily can say "No thanks, looking for a little narrower than 122". Boom, done.

Anyway, thanks for chiming in. Valuable opinion.

I have some 190 G3 Carbon Empire 115's collecting dust that I could part with. One mount for Ions at 314 plus one f-ed heel mount on one ski that is plugged. $250? In Denver if that helps.

For what it’s worth- would rather ski BMT 122 over Hoji. Especially at 5hundy

Am I? Please please please buy my skis. PUHHHLEEEZE. I think that sounds a little bit desperate.

Actually just appointing some snark to a JONG here to field offers on deals from mags and when he gets a credible offer that is literally at his own acknowledged parameters that he feels qualified to throw shade on the asking price. Easily can say "No thanks, looking for a little narrower than 122". Boom, done.

Anyway, thanks for chiming in. Valuable opinion.
    Alright team I’m just trying to buy some skis... I apologize for any tension I may have made.

Quote Originally Posted by rocca View Post
    I have some 190 G3 Carbon Empire 115's collecting dust that I could part with. One mount for Ions at 314 plus one f-ed heel mount on one ski that is plugged. $250? In Denver if that helps.
    What do these skis ride like?? Ive just never even considered a G3 ski in my life before so I have no knowledge of them.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Huh? I’ve Never heard stories of inserts pulling out. I’ve run inserts in many pairs over many many swaps with no issues...
    Not trying to start anything. I don't personally have experience with QK and don't know many who use them. I did consider them and tried to do my research. Then decided to go a different route.

Regardless, I have met more than 1 person who had them pull out. These aren't people I know and hang out with. Maybe they were full of S**t. Maybe the inserts were installed incorrectly. They did all pay to have a shop install them, so maybe they should have mounted their own F*ing bindings.

Just trying to relay what I have heard to another mag. Take it for what its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzey View Post
    What do these skis ride like?? Ive just never even considered a G3 ski in my life before so I have no knowledge of them.
    There are a few threads on here if you dig around a bit. I like them a lot but only put a few days on them - good float, can charge and be nimble/playful (reverse camber), and pretty light/stiff for their size and purpose. Basically they're reverse camber with a pintail design. Only reason I switched is I have another pow touring rig that overlaps these and I'm 5'8" haha. Wish I could speak to them more but hopefully that helps. Also, it's actually 1.5 mounts on each ski (poor memory) so I could knock it down to $200.

I have these old things. Fun ski actually
    $125 plus shipping?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191109_134551.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	735.5 KB 
ID:	301653

I also have these not so old things.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191108_162547.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	542.8 KB 
ID:	301654
    $250 plus shipping.

186 volkl nanutaq,
    Full but subtle rocker,
    One mount for dynafit
    107 underfoot.

Great shape, toured about 10 days.

PM if interested
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Heard of inserts unthreading from ski if they weren't degreased prior to install, but never pulling out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi_Lee View Post
    Regardless, I have met more than 1 person who had them pull out. These aren't people I know and hang out with. Maybe they were full of S**t. Maybe the inserts were installed incorrectly. They did all pay to have a shop install them, so maybe they should have mounted their own F*ing bindings.
    I have an old thread somewhere where I tried to pull the inserts out of a blown sidewall ski. I stood on the skis and put a 4 foot crow bar on the screw head and could not pull out the inserts with all my weight bouncing on the bar. Constant prying, shock hits to the pry bar, I could not get a single one to budge. I have read a lot about spinners, even then you usually can pull a spinner out past the top sheet it has thread through. FYI these are skis without metal in them.