Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    As far as overrated ski areas in Oregon you have to consider Willamette Pass for how it manages to be so bad. Considering how good the terrain, the trees, and the access are, it should be a good ski area. However when you factor in the management/ owner, it falls right off the bottom of the "good" list and bounds to the top of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    never made it to NWX? and next time hike to the summit, very few gapers ther
    I'd say Bachelor is underrated overall simply because most people outside the Pacific Northwest probably hardly know of its existence. I think it's pretty cool because there's really no other mountain like it in North America.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Nobody rates Northstar high to begin with, so it can't be overrated. OK--some people like it on storm days when other areas are shut down. I tried it one time for that reason, pointed my skis downhill--and didn't go anywhere.

Squaw is way overrated if you're an intermediate. Most of them spend all day on Shirley.
    Not to mention the $160 lift tickets at Northstar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    I’d add Mt Bachelor to the list too. I mean, it’s fun and I usually ski free due to having family work PT there, but really only the summit chair has good terrain the rest is too runout to do anything with. The summit rarely opens and immediately gets tracked out by gapers traversing and snowboarders skidding down sideways.
    I like Bachelor fairly well. I do agree summit and NW are the only chairs with decent terrain and the mountain is lacking any truly steep terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW-skier78 View Post
    I like Bachelor fairly well. I do agree summit and NW are the only chairs with decent terrain and the mountain is lacking any truly steep terrain.
    I've only been there two days, but the summit was fogged out (day1) and FROZEN (day 2)....barely skiable and not fun...AT ALL! Overnight there was appx 6" new snow...but was SUPER windy and blew all the snow from the left of NW towards Outback.

There was nothing super steep...but I had a GREAT day in the trees under Outback. Not just b/c of the deep, collected snow in the trees, but b/c Bachelor was like: mini-golf boing, boing, boing...all the way down. So much fun stuff to bounce and pop off of. I could see spending lots of time there.

Actually, from an East Coast perspective, I think the whole PNW is under-rated. I guess, b/c of the lack of true "resort" amenities, no one ever really considers it.
    For you guys living out there, I'm sure it's different, but here it's all: SLC, Vail, Breck, W.BC, etc., etc. etc. Meanwhile, two of my favorite days ever were at Bachelor and Crystal...of course, I sometimes sleep in the car, so there's that.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Every single hill mentioned in this thread > Loveland
    The back bowls at Echo Mountain are highly under rated.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Why am I seeing the AlpineZone post after it's been quoted? Some kind of gremlins in the system today?
    I was gonna answer, but then I see the m-series jong covered it.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Danno can see the future and he wasted his time on greg’s post instead of getting tomorrow’s lottery numbers.

actually, though, AZ often posts then deletes then posts again then deletes again, so it's a bit of the wondrous cat and mouse game that is AlpineZone, to catch the post before it's deleted. Ok, I need a better life.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I've only been there two days, but the summit was fogged out (day1) and FROZEN (day 2)....barely skiable and not fun...AT ALL! Overnight there was appx 6" new snow...but was SUPER windy and blew all the snow from the left of NW towards Outback.

There was nothing super steep...but I had a GREAT day in the trees under Outback. Not just b/c of the deep, collected snow in the trees, but b/c Bachelor was like: mini-golf boing, boing, boing...all the way down. So much fun stuff to bounce and pop off of. I could see spending lots of time there.
    Must have been the skis...

Quote Originally Posted by PNW-skier78 View Post
    Not to mention the $160 lift tickets at Northstar.
    The fuck?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

6 pages in and nobody talks about the soup. This is an important criteria even the major magazines miss.

Who cares if conditions are shitty, learn to ski them.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Or of off load ramps...

You know, I thought Jackson was over rated until went OB many trips later. It's easy to dismiss some places without spending some time there or just having horrible conditions. Some places I thought sucked because I missed huge parts of the mountain by not going on lifts I thought accessed shitty terrain. Or missed one important traverse run-after-run.

To add on to the whistler gripe. I think the reason people are critical is related to how much it costs to partake. The perceived high rating factor commands high lodging costs in addition to scarcity. Planning ahead to assure yourself is a roll of the dice.
    It’s most certainly a legit Mtn. And you could do way worse.

Yes, ACL friendly off load ramps should be another criteria.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Sella nevea. The snow amounts and the pics of that one tiny zone make it look appealing, but it's 90% crap full of dolines (crevasse like holes in limestone) and rock bands. The only area I've been which was totally underwhelming.

and revelstoke, but coming from Europe I knew what I was getting into. People hiking 100m to ski a 150m shot? Absurd. I liked the side country though where you can mini tour to from the lifts. (their cat skiing zone).

Sent from my BLA-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    To add on to the whistler gripe. I think the reason people are critical is related to how much it costs to partake. The perceived high rating factor commands high lodging costs in addition to scarcity. Planning ahead to assure yourself is a roll of the dice.
    It’s most certainly a legit Mtn. And you could do way worse.
    With all the freebies as a Whistler Wiesel I spent 175$ a week or it might have been for 2 weeks on food booze lodgings, but after 2 weeks I still couldn't wait to get out of the place
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

What didn't you like about it?

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post

and revelstoke]
    Yep.

Been a long time but Kicking Horse too.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    What didn't you like about it?
    the vibe
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the vibe
    But how was the soup?

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Must have been the skis...
    Possibly...the tune was shit!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Re: Jackson, Whistler, Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, etc.

I'm pretty sure you guys just don't like skiing inbounds.

nah. Revelstoke & probably KHorse got overrated because they got overhyped because there's been very little new to talk about in north american lift served skiing in the past couple decades.

Funny how many are saying park city/DV. I'm not defending them, but I didn't think anyone actually thought they were good anyway. haha

Nattering nabobs of negativism ...
    Why must I feel like that, why must I chase the cat?
    Nuthin' but the dog in me. George Clinton