Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PSA: New Beer Law in Utah! Yay!!! 5% alcohol sold in supermarkets.

No more 3.2% beer in UT. Alcohol level in beer on tap (Squatters etc.), along with beer sold in supermarket has increased to 5% volume. State liquor store will no longer be selling beer under 5% alcohol. So, if you want those good German and Czech. pilsner, you need to go to the supermarket and not the State liquor store.
    https://kutv.com/news/local/5-beer-h...-tax-in-effect
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

You are all going to hell now, whereas you weren’t before.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Cool
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Meh. As a hopeless lightweight I'm going to miss the sport beer.

Also, the 3.2 mockery was always BS since that was ABW. 3.2% ABW = 4% ABV, which while still low is not nearly as preposterous as 3.2% ABV would be.

I heard that the craft places had an acceptable ABV error margin of 0.8% (meaning even a spot-tested 4.8% ABV beer would be "ok" per DABC), so a lot of the local non-distributed/non-canned stuff was higher than 4% anyway. I'm assuming the margin carries over... anyway there's a lot of good craft draft stuff in town these days: Fisher, Kiitos, Level Crossing, TF, Red Rock, Desert Edge, etc...

welcome to 1933

Most IPAs around here run 7-11%... you guys still suck

Completely unrelated, but I was in Mississippi this spring and had to go to the next town over to buy a case of beer after 5pm due to some sort of local ordinance. I could get still get singles till 10pm at the gas station and 24/7 at the hotel. No such thing as bud light either, despite what the can might say. Just Bud and Bud heavy. Strange place.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Is it just 5% ABV?

What about a 7% ABV IPA? Can you buy that in the grocery store?

Saddest part of this change: instead of discounting the leftover 3.2% piss after Nov 1st the grocery stores are dumping the beer down the brain. Because in Utah you just can't have nice things.

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Is it just 5% ABV?
    What about a 7% ABV IPA? Can you buy that in the grocery store?
    Hell no you can't, that kind of beer in grocery stores would lead to pandemonium! People would loot, riot, rape, you name it, it would happen.
    You'll have to do the walk of shame into the liquor store where you will most definitely not find what you want and have to settle for whatever shit selection the Mo in charge or purchasing went with...

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    You'll have to do the walk of shame into the liquor store where you will most definitely not find what you want and have to settle for whatever shit selection the Mo in charge or purchasing went with...
    And whatever they have will be stacked up in the middle of the store, at room temperature.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

That's why you always keep a cooler in the car. Get a bag of ice, stop at the state store, get your warm, older-than-ideal beer, pop it in the cooler and by the time you get home, you have cold beer to drink. That was my strategy when I lived in BCC. When I moved down to Capitol Hill, I just walked to Red Rock and bought it cold.

my favorite beer is the one in my hand
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    That's why you always keep a cooler in the car. Get a bag of ice, stop at the state store, get your warm, older-than-ideal beer, pop it in the cooler and by the time you get home, you have cold beer to drink. That was my strategy when I lived in BCC. When I moved down to Capitol Hill, I just walked to Red Rock and bought it cold.
    Or you never let yourself run out of cold ones at home... It is a pain when you're leaving for a trip down South and you grab warm beers at the last minute, sometimes they're not cold enough by the time dirt roads are reached...

I've heard that some breweries refuse to sell to UT because they want their beers to stay refrigerated and not go from cool at the brewery to hot-as-shit in the delivery truck to tepid in the liquor store and back to the fridge. I thought Rogue was one but they're all over the liquor store so I'm probably off.

Never had a problem finding something I liked at the state store.

Miss the old days pre baggage fee when I’d check a bag with a case of my favorite and put several out the window at Pdog each morning. That wasn’t so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by PowderHorse View Post
    And whatever they have will be stacked up in the middle of the store, at room temperature.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    This. I hate that beer at the State store is warm. Personally, I drink mostly Warsteiner, Bitburger and Pilsner Urequell, so I am happy about this.

Even more so than selling 4.0/5.0 beer at the grocery store, tap beer in UT. will exceed 3.2/4.0 for the first time ever.
    I wonder whether say Squatters beer from the tap will taste different, now that there is more alcohol content. The staff at Squatters seemed pretty excited about it.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    Completely unrelated, but I was in Mississippi this spring and had to go to the next town over to buy a case of beer after 5pm due to some sort of local ordinance. I could get still get singles till 10pm at the gas station and 24/7 at the hotel. No such thing as bud light either, despite what the can might say. Just Bud and Bud heavy. Strange place.
    2 unsolicited pieces of advice:

1. don't go to Mississippi
    2. don't drink Bud Light.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Or you never let yourself run out of cold ones at home...
    This!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    I heard that the craft places had an acceptable ABV error margin of 0.8% (meaning even a spot-tested 4.8% ABV beer would be "ok" per DABC), so a lot of the local non-distributed/non-canned stuff was higher than 4% anyway. I'm assuming the margin carries over... anyway there's a lot of good craft draft stuff in town these days: Fisher, Kiitos, Level Crossing, TF, Red Rock, Desert Edge, etc...
    Interesting. I've always felt that the beers at Fisher seemed stronger than 4%... Going to need to read more into this.

PSA: New Beer Law in Utah! Yay!!! 5% alcohol sold in supermarkets.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Interesting. I've always felt that the beers at Fisher seemed stronger than 4%... Going to need to read more into this.
    It was someone at a different spot who told me about this margin-of-error but Fisher was the first place I thought of too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    2 unsolicited pieces of advice:

1. don't go to Mississippi
    2. don't drink Bud Light.
    gonna have to agree here

I always thought it was funny that I can buy beer 24 hrs a day (4%) in Utah but in Wisconsin (that allows 12 year old to drink legally with their parents in a bar) you can't buy beer after about 10:00 PM.

You caint start in the morning if you dont drink all day.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineZone View Post
    Domestic light beers are 4.2% anyways - not that I choose them but..

https://www.realbeer.com/edu/health/calories.php
    Isn't beer talk against Alpine Zone policy? So you're like those "shed" Mormons that hide their liquor next to the lawn mower hidden from the family. TGR is your shed!

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineZone View Post
    Domestic light beers are 4.2% anyways - not that I choose them but..

https://www.realbeer.com/edu/health/calories.php
    stay in character bitch

You can always add a shot of vodka if you need to punch up the alcohol content.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang