Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    We had something similar near me 2 yrs ago. Guy in piston flying long, long range from texas or somewhere, ran out of fuel 1/2 mile short, into a gas station I use. I missed it by 15 minutes. No customers killed.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Outside of McCall ID. Great read.
    Great bike ride to and from it! https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5422507.pdf

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5598.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	860.7 KB 
ID:	301414Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5608.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	301415

I used to work with the guy that crashed on Magic Mountain years ago. Messed his leg up permanently. Don't know as I ever got the real story. He claimed fuel leak, plane's owner said he didn't fill up before leaving. I don't think there was a flight plan filed. Lost touch with him before learning the final outcome of the lawsuit filed by the owner.

https://www.timesargus.com/news/plan...bf7412a10.html

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    I’ve posted this before. Makes me nauseous thinking about what it must have been like in that cockpit.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/busi...ight-447-crash
    That's quite the fuck up. Hard to know what you don't know, though.

This quote in the article makes me think about all the automation in cars these days and how it makes drivers dumber.

It seems that we are locked into a spiral in which poor human performance begets automation, which worsens human performance, which begets increasing automation.

And all they basically had to do was do nothing. By the time the captain made it to the cockpit it was too late to save themselves - but long enough to sit there thinking about how they're gonna plow into the ocean in a few moments....fuck.

In other plane crash news:

Name:  191108211233-04-gender-reveal-crash-exlarge-169.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  58.3 KB

Another gender reveal stunt went horribly wrong and caused the recent plane crash in Texas, according to a National Transportation Safety Board accident report released Friday.

The pilot was flying a plane at a low altitude on September 7 as part of an elaborate gender reveal for a friend, according to the report.

The pilot dumped 350 gallons of pink water from the plane, but the plane was "too low" and immediately stalled. The pilot was not injured in the crash in Turkey, Texas, about 100 miles southeast of Amarillo, The plane's other passenger had minor injuries. The plane was designed to carry only one person, the report said.

This incident was the latest in a string of gender reveal stunts gone awry.

In October, a family in Iowa inadvertently built a pipe bomb for a party that exploded and killed a grandmother.

Last year, an off-duty border patrol agent was ordered to pay more than $8 million in restitution after his gender reveal caused a forest fire in Arizona.

Flying is mans 2nd greatest emotion.

Carted a several squadrons of various flyers around the med in the 80s. Lot of respect for them.

Not all made it home.
    watch out for snakes

love to tell a story in detail but it's not mine to tell so it's kinda of a bummer
    the quick version
    friend was involved in a plane crash and was the only survivor and was left for dead due to weather and no one knowing where they really were
    stuck around the crash for a few days, watched some people die and then hike miles out of the woods all messed up
    knocked on a door at the first house he found

Cross post from gender reveal thread..

https://nypost.com/2019/11/09/plane-...mpression=true

Plane crashes after unloading 350 gallons of pink water in gender reveal stunt

Jesus fuck steep, you posted that in 2 threads in which it was already posted, maybe try reading the threads if you're gonna post in them.

Figured with so many people raving about this ignore function I should try it.

Not much of a fan so far...

That vanity fair article is a good read, thx bennymac.

But worse—far worse—was what Bonin did in the vertical sense: he pulled the stick back. Initially this may have been a startle response to the false indication of a minor altitude loss. But Bonin didn’t just ease the stick back—he hauled it back, three-fourths of the way to the stop, and then he kept on pulling.
    I’m no aviation expert, but I’m struck by how often I’ve read this type of description. Seems hardwired into our panic modes.

seems like an awful lot of planes flying in a very small area.

https://twitter.com/JamesYoder/statu...61274722324480

Great thread.

I worked with a guy that was in that Iowa crash where the plane cartwheeled through what looked like a corn field. Guy said it was irie how they rounded up the survivors, put them in a hotel, and controlled all their contacts with others.

Don’t know wether the crash fucked him up, but he had a lazy eye, and went on the found a company that made millions selling gear to military i Afghanistan. Flew the cash home. Asked me to help him and I said no fucking way, guy would have gotten me killed.

Vibes for the families.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Great thread.

I worked with a guy that was in that Iowa crash where the plane cartwheeled through what looked like a corn field. Guy said it was irie how they rounded up the survivors, put them in a hotel, and controlled all their contacts with others.

Don’t know wether the crash fucked him up, but he had a lazy eye, and went on the found a company that made millions selling gear to military i Afghanistan. Flew the cash home. Asked me to help him and I said no fucking way, guy would have gotten me killed.
    Odd coincidence, I had a former boss that was also on that plane and lived. He was in banking.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Odd coincidence, I had a former boss that was also on that plane and lived. He was in banking.
    Assuming you guys are talking about United 232 in Sioux City Iowa? Technically, that was an unsurvivable event.

I've said this before but it belongs here too. Captain Haynes, FO Records, SO Dvorak, and Check Airman Denny Fitch (who was deadheading at the time) were true heros. They did something considered impossible: fly a DC10 without flight controls. That's considerably more difficult than Sully gliding an airplane to an off-field landing (and he'd be the first guy to tell you that).

Nobody ever trained for it, because there's no point - everyone's gonna be dead. But Haynes kept his cool, considered suggestions/options, and delegated tasks. Like the coach or quarterback who can rally and turn a losing game around, they quite literally saved 185 lives that day.

ok, so, how do you fly a DC10 without flight controls?

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    To be fair, they only flew it long enough to crash land it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...nes_Flight_232

Seems like they mainly did it by using the throttles to sort of skid steer it and manipulate their sink rate. Apparently there was a third pilot on board as a passenger who had thought about the problem ahead of time because another DC-10 had lost full flight controls before that. Pretty amazing story.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    very carefully?

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    love to tell a story in detail but it's not mine to tell so it's kinda of a bummer
    the quick version
    friend was involved in a plane crash and was the only survivor and was left for dead due to weather and no one knowing where they really were
    stuck around the crash for a few days, watched some people die and then hike miles out of the woods all messed up
    knocked on a door at the first house he found
    I’d be more impressed if it was the 4th or 5th house

3 pages in and no one has mentioned this book yet ?
    Great read !

https://www.harpercollins.ca/9780061...for-the-storm/
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

Came across this story a while back, it's worth a read if you've got an hour or more...

Searching out the crash site of an A-12 spy plane (CIA version of SR-71) https://www.otherhand.org/home-page/...-hunt-for-928/

Same guy who finally located the Death Valley Germans, also worth a read - https://www.otherhand.org/home-page/...alley-germans/

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Guy said it was irie
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	irie.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	433893