Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What would your touring setup consist of?

If you were creating a new touring setup today, (boots, bindings, skins, and skis) what your setup consist of? Not what you currently use but if you were buying all new gear.
    Last edited by PowChaser406; 11-05-2019 at 03:20 PM. Reason: typo

If I only had one?

CAST+Moment Commander 108/Wildcat 108/Woodsman 106/Black Crow Atris w/ Atomic Hawk 130 XTD or Dalbello Lupo 130 HD.

Don't care about skins.

Boots: I'd probably just buy the new Fisher Travers Carbon Cuff (have the Travers Carbon now and 110% satisfied)

Skis: gotta stick with my Down LD90s, though I'd buy a new pair

Bindings: ATKs, whatever the BD Helio 110 is

Skins: Pomoca CPG

e: basically I'd upgrade my skins

I’d get boots that fit well and were the combined levels of stiffness and lightness that suited my style and preferences, and skis that performed well in the type of snow that I expected to ski and fit my style of skiing. And I’d get bindings that suited my touring goals which could be light and fast or bomber-burly, either with brakes or straps according to my preference. As far as skins, it would depend on whether I wanted light skins (which might absorb water in warmer climates) or heavier-duty skins that were more hydrophobic and durable.

That said, without having skied this stuff I’d get the Dynafit Hoji Free (because higher volume), the Blizzard Zero G 105, and throw some G3 Ions and BD Glidelites on them.

Right now?

I'd get Tecnica Zero G Tour Pros, Blizzard Zero G 105's, Atomic Backland Tour bindings with leash, and G3 Alpinist+ Universal skins.

In about 5 months I'd decide I need something lighter for spring and summer and get the new Backland Carbon, Blizzard Zero G 95's, Black Diamond Helio 145's (or ATK Trofeo), and G3 Minimist Glide skins.

Boots: Lange XT LV
    Skis: Wildcat 108
    Bindings: Salomon Shifts
    Skins: whatever

Was gonna buy something like this until I got shoulder surgery this summer

The heaviest setup on earth!

Tecnica Zero G boots (newest version)
    Binding - G3 Ion or Frischi Vipec
    Ski - not sure... for Pow probably the PraxiLhasa Pow with UL Core. For corn, I dunno.

Add a true pow ski back to the mix with some WildCat Tour (I had to give them back) and but with KingPin M-works instead of shifts. I’d go with tectons but like being able to use universal crampons. Only other thing I’d change is the bindings on my 95s.
    Switch from Radicals to Alpinist w/ brakes and put brakes on my 105s

ZeroG Tour pro boots
    WildCat Tour w/ KingPin M-works and BD Ultra light skins.
    ZeroG 105s w/ Alpinist and Pomoca climb 2.0 skins
    ZeroG 95 w/Alpinist and Blizzard OEM Pomoca skins.

Currently have

182 UL Praxis GPO - SSL 2.0's (maybe installing adjustment plates soon) - Pomoca Climb Pro S... whatever they're called
    178 Zero G 108's - SSL 2.0's w/brakes (definitely installing adjustment plates soon) - BD Ultralight glidelite... whatever
    178 Zero G 85's - SSL 2.0's - Pomocas again

This trio is close to perfect for me.

Boots are Scarpa F1's and Atomic Hawx XTD 120's

If anything happened to one of those setups my first move would be to replace it with the same thing, except the Pomocas are better than the BD skins. Could live without the Zero G 85's and the XTD's, but I'm glad I don't have to.

Wouldn't want any of those as my only pair though. Might try the Zero G 105's if I could only choose one pair. The 108's kind of suck in low angle powder, which is often all that's on the menu in CO. GPO's and 85's would make shitty 1-ski-quivers.

I'm not sure I'd change my current setup:

Boots: technica zero g

Skis: moment deathwish tour

Binding: Salomon mtn

Skins: BD glidelite mix

ZGTPs... are the shit got them last year. This year it's... + freeraider 14s... Too many skis come to mind!!!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

wishful thinking:
    moment deathwish tour - 174
    solly mtn
    scarpa f1
    pomoca climb pro mohair

currently have:
    bd helio 116 - 176
    dynafit tlt speed radical
    scarpa f1
    pomoca climb pro mohair

Bought boots last season, spent a season demoing stuff to see what i liked, and then bought the rest of the shit during the summer off-season sales.

For pow touring:

Boots: MTN Labs
    Skis: G3 Seekr 110
    Shift bindings
    G3 universal skins

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I wouldn't change a lot in my setup. I finally knew enough what i wanted to nail it down.

Atomic hawx 130xtd

192 protest custom w/ tectons and g3 nylon

192 yeti custom w/tectons and g3 nylons

This year I want to add a set of pure mohair skins for both setups to be able to have warm skins and cold skins.

If money was no object I would add a pure traverse ski. likely 183 exp with some sort of light atk binding or Salomon mtn or g3 zed. This hole exists in my quiver but it can wait.

A snowmobile

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

I like to bring extra socks.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Currently have

182 UL Praxis GPO - SSL 2.0's (maybe installing adjustment plates soon) - Pomoca Climb Pro S... whatever they're called
    178 Zero G 108's - SSL 2.0's w/brakes (definitely installing adjustment plates soon) - BD Ultralight glidelite... whatever
    178 Zero G 85's - SSL 2.0's - Pomocas again

This trio is close to perfect for me.

Boots are Scarpa F1's and Atomic Hawx XTD 120's

If anything happened to one of those setups my first move would be to replace it with the same thing, except the Pomocas are better than the BD skins. Could live without the Zero G 85's and the XTD's, but I'm glad I don't have to.

Wouldn't want any of those as my only pair though. Might try the Zero G 105's if I could only choose one pair. The 108's kind of suck in low angle powder, which is often all that's on the menu in CO. GPO's and 85's would make shitty 1-ski-quivers.
    My preferences (for primarily skiing in Colorado) are evolving along a parallel path to those of @ISBD's - somewhat coincidentally, as well as from trading notes.

Boots are currently Zero G Tour Pros, but his comments to me about his F1s being slightly stiffer than Mango Maestrales make me check these out (as well as possibly the Fishers, etc.).

Similarly, if limited to one ski, it would also be in the mid-100s, but I'm not sure which one. Wildcat Tour? Z-G 105? Lithic Ramblin Jack? Corvus Freebird? The Faction ski the Lindahl likes? I think if it were a one ski quiver, I wouldn't go ultralight as I would if I were fitting it into a quiver - likely settling in to the 1750-1850 gram range.

Currently (from fat to skinny):

1. GPOs (182cm, Nylon Top, Enduro/Carbon, flex 4) with Vipecs. I'm considering lighter bindings, and if a UL Veneer GPO swam by, I'd be tempted to snap it up, but this might be a mistake.

2. Down CD 104s (179), with Vipecs (not the 104 L's). They're good all a-rounders with a slight soft snow bias. I'm not sure what I'd replace them with if I had to (104 Ls? Zero G 105s?), and I'm pondering "borrowing" my Plum Guides for these skis, but that would only save about 350g.

3. Praxis EXPs (173) with Plum Guides. I should probably get these out earlier in the season, instead of thinking of them as a late Spring ski (picked them up from @grinch late last Spring so I have minimal time on them). I'm amazed at how stable these are and how well they handle Spring slop (I thought this would be their weak point). I can't imagine a better balanced 88mm ski and I'd hesitate to experiment if these were to go South.

Skins are a mix of what I have on hand, but my Countour Hybrids which I bitched about a few days ago are my best glide (with quite good grip), and only require periodic cleaning with citrus cleaner to remove ski wax from the "glue". They handle nicely and are converting me.

I'd also give serious consideration to Pomoca Climb Pro Glide S

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-07-2019 at 02:43 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    A snowmobile

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk
    id upgrade to an A Star
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

What would your touring setup consist of?

Quote Originally Posted by PowChaser406 View Post
    If you were creating a new touring setup today, (boots, bindings, skins, and skis) what your setup consist of? Not what you currently use but if you were buying all new gear.
    Not enough information. Location? Range of months skied? Conditions generally skied? Will you be adding a second ski or binding in the future? How aggressive do you ski?

For 50:50 resort/powder touring to compliment my current 100% touring setup:
    181cm Volkl 100eight skis.
    Dynafit Hoji Free Boots, with Intuition Alpine (wrap) liners and custom footbeds.
    Salomon Shift bindings.
    G3 Minimist Universal skins 115mm Med.

I think I’d get what I have,

186 BMT 108

Alpinists

Hoji’s (to be fair, haven’t skied then yet)

BD momix ultralights. Actually scrap that, I’d get rid of these skins because they are shit. Mega snow creep at the tips.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Currently I'm on:
    4frnt MSP 99
    Shifts
    Freedom RS
    BD Ascension nylon skins.
    This setup is for shorter approaches up steeper, more complex terrain and lends itself to more confidence on the down.

Also have:
    BD Carbon Converts
    Radical FT demos
    Scarpa Maestrale RS
    This setup is for lightweight touring, hut trips, skinning the ski area, meadow skipping, etc. Never been fully comfortable with the performance in anything but smooth powder, but they are so nice and light on the up that I have kept them around.

Would like to trade in the MSP99 for a lighter version of something similar to the BG 184's and keep the Shifts and Freedoms.

Would also like to trade in the Converts for something of similar weight but with a wider range of uses, perhaps more rocker, sidecut, etc

I'm a long time telemarker, but if I suddenly got a bank error in my favor for a few grand I'd likely go with:

-28 mondo Scarpa F1s
    -Salomon MTN bindings
    -184cm Voile UltraVector BC

Feel free to write this down since it's also my Xmas list.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Right now?

I'd get Tecnica Zero G Tour Pros, Blizzard Zero G 105's, Atomic Backland Tour bindings with leash, and G3 Alpinist+ Universal skins.

In about 5 months I'd decide I need something lighter for spring and summer and get the new Backland Carbon, Blizzard Zero G 95's, Black Diamond Helio 145's (or ATK Trofeo), and G3 Minimist Glide skins.
    Amazing. I'm going back and forth between the Trofeo and the Raider. Just can't get my head around the one low riser. Moved from a STFU skin track state to a STFU skin track state and think my achilles will want the second higher option. But 145 is hard to argue with.

that trofeo binding is great. i love it on my skinny skis and the gf has it on her 100 underfoot daily driver. no problems or complaints from either of us 100+ days in.