It’s all downhill from here.

I turned 41 today, and I celebrated with a trip to the doctor because I thought I had an infection in my foot.
    It turns out I’ve got gout. Well, shit.

Good thing I wasn’t planning on celebrating my birthday with beer or red wine or red meat.

Woooooo.

Sent from inside the house
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Consider it an opportunity to get your shit together and turn it around or you won't see another 41 years.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Consider it an opportunity to get your shit together and turn it around or you won't see another 41 years.
    Aren't there other causes of gout besides not having your shit together and needing to turn your life around?

Good buddy got the gout in his late 30s. He got his shit together by changing his diet and starting to exercise regularly.

5 years later and he said he never has a flare up but he did completely quit drinking and eating shellfish (which was not a small ask for a guy living in New Orleans). He's way healthier now. Says it was just the wakeup call he needed. Hopefully things go as smoothly for you, op.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

A former boss and co-worker both had gout. You could always tell when they'd been out for a big dinner together, they'd have a flare up the next day and would both be hobbling around the office.

Ski boots hurt enough without gout.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Aren't there other causes of gout besides not having your shit together and needing to turn your life around?
    Absolutely and the idea that it's high living that gives you gout is bullshit. Once you've got it lots of things can trigger it though. Some people have different triggers than others but beef and red wine are common ones.

I used to get wicked gout attacks pretty frequently, that really sucked. But when I finally started getting treated for hemochromotosis (iron overload, basically), the gout went away. Haven't had an attack in at least 10 years. Hope I didn't just jinx myself but it seems like it's just gone.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Absolutely and the idea that it's high living that gives you gout is bullshit. Once you've got it lots of things can trigger it though. Some people have different triggers than others but beef and red wine are common ones.

I used to get wicked gout attacks pretty frequently, that really sucked. But when I finally started getting treated for hemochromotosis (iron overload, basically), the gout went away. Haven't had an attack in at least 10 years. Hope I didn't just jinx myself but it seems like it's just gone.
    Yup very true iceman. Dealing with some it right now.
    On the bright side, I don't get the double my foot size attacks like I did in my 20's and 30's.

Oh man my feet are still fucked up from it, I have wicked bunions, finding shoes that don't hurt is a challenge. But since I stopped getting the flareups my feet don't hurt like they used to, that sucked a lot. Like when you literally can't put your shoes on, oh man.

The only medicine that helped my gout was Indocin, which would stop an attack in its tracks but was like swallowing a bottle of razor blades to my stomach. I mean it was really bad. I'd be sitting there dying from gout with a bottle of Indocin in my hand just about fucking crying, not able to convince myself to take some. Fuck that shit, just thinking about it now sucks. Hang in there Kenny.

Two Medicis died from it in their forties. The doctors bled them with leeches and fed them crushed pearls. Both didn't work, so, don't try that.

https://youtu.be/UInn4umayyA

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Ski boots hurt enough without gout.
    This

Hope your foot gets better. Been getting my foot healed up from a bone bruise to my heel.

Slowly getting better.
    watch out for snakes

I have it. I am able to treat it just by making sure I stay well hydrated. If I injure my foot or ankle and swell due to injury, I get a flare up. Genetic predisposition and 20 years working in kitchens. I haven't changed my diet at all, just a lot of water. Gout sucks, GL.

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    I turned 41 today.
    Dude you're not counting up anymore. You're counting down.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Oh man my feet are still fucked up from it, I have wicked bunions, finding shoes that don't hurt is a challenge. But since I stopped getting the flareups my feet don't hurt like they used to, that sucked a lot. Like when you literally can't put your shoes on, oh man.

The only medicine that helped my gout was Indocin, which would stop an attack in its tracks but was like swallowing a bottle of razor blades to my stomach. I mean it was really bad. I'd be sitting there dying from gout with a bottle of Indocin in my hand just about fucking crying, not able to convince myself to take some. Fuck that shit, just thinking about it now sucks. Hang in there Kenny.
    Likewise iceman and thanks.

I've had a couple gout flare-ups and my lifestyle is pretty much the opposite of what they say are the risk factors for it. I've gotta figure it has a strong genetic component. Pretty amazing tiny crystals can cause so much pain.

The first attack I had, it was a bad one and I had no idea what it was. All I knew was the pain kept ramping up and up and up. I had eaten all the tylenol and motrin in the house, had my foot up and wrapped in ice, and still it kept getting worse. I literally started laughing sitting there by myself with my foot on fire in the middle of the night because it was ridiculous, there's no reason for anything to hurt that much, it's some sort of evolutionary defect. I mean pain is supposed to alert you something's wrong and dissuade you from doing whatever it is again, that's its function. Pain above a certain level serves no function, so wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Two Medicis died from it in their forties. The doctors bled them with leeches and fed them crushed pearls. Both didn't work, so, don't try that.
    No pearls, but I did go for acupuncture today, and she did release some pressure, and it feels a ton better now.

Sent from inside the house
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Perhaps a physick to purge the malignant humors followed by a course of hellebore and tincture of antimony would have proven more efficacious?

Should we merge this with the OxyContin thread?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Should we merge this with the OxyContin thread?
    The irony being opiates don't really offer much relief to gout pain..