Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wool vest recommendations?

I've done it, I've actually worn out a fleece vest that I've had for decades. I didn't think it could be done. I wore it lift served, touring, gathering wood, gardening, and even out to dinner. It was a 'go to' item in the closet for me.

I thought I would update/upgrade it and try something other than fleece. Wool seems to pack better, stink less, keep you warmer, and can even be better for the restaurant. So what recommendations do folks have?

Oh, and I looked but I'm going to eliminate this from the options

Name:  MCO110PPBP-2T.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  41.3 KB

Forget wool anything becuase wool will wear out if you look at it funny

I do wear a wool undershirt which is the only thing that will touch yer body, its also way cheaper

I also have fleece that is decades old and it wears well

https://www.google.com/search?q=fred...EI895sOHeFTWM:

fred rodgers always had nice sweaters made by his mom
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Wool rocks!! Wool vest, jacket or pants. Wear it in the sun to stay cool. Under a wind jacket to stay warm. Wear it in the rain. Wool dries from the inside out so your skin gets warm and cozy first. Won't get a hole from sparks at the campfire or if a seed pops in the bong.

Good wool lasts. Still sporting my Woolrich I paid $$$ for in 1978.

Name:  wool1.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  101.3 KB
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

I'd recommend something from Stanfield (made in Nova Scotia eh) but unfortunately I don't see a vest in their catalogue. I rotate through 3 henley shirts, from fine dining at the campfire, to cutting trail or butchering. I get 4 or 5 yrs out of a shirt. I love the wool.

Patagonia, LL Bean and Woolwich all have great wool vests
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Wool is awesome. I had a great wool vest with windproof fabric, but it’s no longer made, and I lost it.

I prefer an Icebreaker base layer, Pendleton shirt, and then a waterproof vest.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    I'd recommend something from Stanfield (made in Nova Scotia eh) but unfortunately I don't see a vest in their catalogue. I rotate through 3 henley shirts, from fine dining at the campfire, to cutting trail or butchering. I get 4 or 5 yrs out of a shirt. I love the wool.
    I've never heard of them before, but damn, I'm going to be giving these guys some of my money this week. Nice looking stuff.

I wear a First Lite Springer vest a lot of the time. I think it might be out of production now but if you can find one, a great vest to have.

I have a thick Ibex wool vest and it’s really nice. As long as I use wool wash and lay out to dry it stays like new. But I also have a cheap North face fleece for the dirty work.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

smart wool eh, all my merino has holes, go into a BC hut with a group and notice how all their merino has holes

when pa passed at the age of 84 I got all his old merino wool, 5 brands of merino have holes all he did was watch TV in his condo

Name:  hole.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  87.8 KB

S&C has good deals on merino blend vests
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Take a ride up to Johnson when you move North.

https://johnsonwoolenmills.com/produ...ory/men/vests/

Used to be able to find deals @ the factory store. No idea nowadays.

Behold! A peruvian wool vest for Peruvian!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	il_1588xN.2060073942_szky.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	513.3 KB 
ID:	301056
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

CC Filson Mackinaw Vest. They used to be made in Seattle

https://www.filson.com/mackinaw-wool...-fco-000000111

Quote Originally Posted by charlesj View Post
    CC Filson Mackinaw Vest. They used to be made in Seattle

https://www.filson.com/mackinaw-wool...-fco-000000111
    Yep...they also make some sick wool trousers. Last you decades.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyGroomer View Post
    Take a ride up to Johnson when you move North.

https://johnsonwoolenmills.com/produ...ory/men/vests/

Used to be able to find deals @ the factory store. No idea nowadays.
    On the short list. Prefer the zippered models.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I wear a First Lite Springer vest a lot of the time. I think it might be out of production now but if you can find one, a great vest to have.
    Came in to recommend the same. switched most all of my base layers over to First Lite wool

Voormi.

A bit pricey, but great stuff and it will last: https://voormi.com/collections/mens/...mens-core-vest

More Basic vest: https://voormi.com/collections/mens/...ens-drift-vest

https://www.duckworthco.com/collecti...owcrest-vest-1

Made in MT, I have some of their shirts and their great, $$$ though

I wore wool for years because that was all there was (see my avatar). When synthetics came on the market I switched and I've never looked back. The big problem for me is that if it gets wet it takes forever to dry. They say it keeps its warmth when wet and that may be true, but it's still wet. I think my first piece of fleece was the original Patagonia brown nubby jacket which I wore for many years and never wore out. I recently gave it away--Alpine Meadows was collecting warm clothes to send to Nepal or someplace.

But don't let me talk you out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I wore wool for years because that was all there was (see my avatar). When synthetics came on the market I switched and I've never looked back. The big problem for me is that if it gets wet it takes forever to dry. They say it keeps its warmth when wet and that may be true, but it's still wet. I think my first piece of fleece was the original Patagonia brown nubby jacket which I wore for many years and never wore out. I recently gave it away--Alpine Meadows was collecting warm clothes to send to Nepal or someplace.

But don't let me talk you out of it.
    I agree with this ^^ also wool shrinks if dried improperly, smells like wet dog, anything > than lightest weight merino gives me a rash and I just don't believe a garment that thin really has any more warmth than plastic layers

what wool IS good for is not absorbing body stink, so a fine merino t-shirt takes care of that

ebay or goodwill
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by bskin View Post
    https://www.duckworthco.com/collecti...owcrest-vest-1

Made in MT, I have some of their shirts and their great, $$$ though

Dont have any of their stuff yet but have talked to some people involved with the livestock side. Have heard nothing but good things about those guys and hope to get some of their stuff when I have some coin.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I agree with this ^^ also wool shrinks if dried improperly, smells like wet dog, anything > than lightest weight merino gives me a rash and I just don't believe a garment that thin really has any more warmth than plastic layers

what wool IS good for is not absorbing body stink, so a fine merino t-shirt takes care of that
    Word. Thin marino underlayers, even briefs, stay flower fresh on long rides, long weekends and ski tours.
    But dang, one wash and dry at the wrong temps and BAM - bobs not your uncle anymore.

As for holey wool vs other fabrics, not that anyone would be stupid enough to wear Bamboo clothing in the winter, but don't buy that hype either. Bamboo is like exponentially faster to get holes than any other fabric ever conceived.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er