Wide flat pedal shoes

There’s a thread for narrow fit, didn’t find one for wide. There are also threads on empty beer and reddit, but they suck and I know there are some weird feet around here. I need something wider in the forefoot. Think modern brands that advertise “foot-shaped” shoes, e.g. altra and vivobarefoot—those fit me. Or a current gen maestrale rs with punches in the forefoot (but no one needs that much heel space).

Currently have 5.10 freerider pros and they’re too tight. Tried on impacts, didn’t seem much wider. My clipless shoe is a wide sidi dominator, that thing is great but I like having flats as well.

Shimano XT and Crank Brothers make pedals in two sizes. Tag Metals is another option for really big platform.

Edit: I read about pedals, not shoes. Can't help with shoes as I'm on narrow side

I have no idea if they're worthwhile shoes, but Northwave is making a push to get back into the North American market (I'm assuming that's where you are). Traditionally, northwave had a wider shoe with a very wide toe box. Not sure if that's still the case, but might be worth checking out some of their options.

I usually wear an E width and had great luck with the Shimano shoes for a few years but the soles were softer than I really would have liked and weren't terribly sticky either but they did fit well. I actually prefer wearing Keen light hikers because the ankle protection and support is nice and waterproof is good too but the big lugs don't always play well with some pedals.

one shoe to rule them all...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3BDC56FF-B38E-481D-9816-AE16AC950F8E.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	300910

Freeriders are wider than Freerider Pros.

I’m right at the limit where Freerider Pros work for me.
    Plain old Freeriders are more comfortable on my forefoot, but they’re wider at the heel than I like.
    U.P.: up

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I have no idea if they're worthwhile shoes, but Northwave is making a push to get back into the North American market (I'm assuming that's where you are). Traditionally, northwave had a wider shoe with a very wide toe box. Not sure if that's still the case, but might be worth checking out some of their options.
    I can only speak to their XC weenie shoes, but they have a narrow toe box.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

2nd the freeriders, mine are old but too wide for my taste. Giro makes a wide in most of their shoes. The normal ones are narrow though so their wide might nit be *that* wide. The Jacket w and Riddance look good. I have their cousin the Chamber 2 and I’m very impressed, especially with durability.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Do you have a truly wide foot, or just looking for wiggle room for the piggies?

I have wide midfeet due to flat feet, and have found 5.10s the most comfortable (also worn Freerider VXi and Freerider Canvas), with the Impact Pros being the best. The Impact toebox doesn't feel roomy due to the padding. I've heard the Sam Hills run comparatively high / narrow midfoot (local mech wears those instead of Impacts due to his high arches), but don't know about the toebox. I've tried the new(ish) Shimano flat shoes (GR7 I think) and they were painfully narrow at the midfoot, can't remember how the toes felt. I think they were a bit roomier. I was not impressed with their rubber stickiness though. I emailed Ride Concepts asking about their shoes. They indicated that their cheaper shoes were slightly narrower, and their higher end shoes use a last very similar to Nike. I can't wear any Nike shoes, so I stopped looking at them at that point.

I'll try on some freeriders, thanks. My feet are actually wide, but only in the front of the foot. Midfoot and heel are normalish, high instep and arch. Lots of shoes are too narrow for me, rarely the opposite.

I'm in a similar situation, though my foot is wide further back, so Keen type shoes are useless for me. A day in a narrow shoe will fuck my feet up for weeks.
    Impact VXI was a lot wider than the new Impact Pro. You can still find them on Ebay.
    The old Maltese Falcon (clipless) was really wide too. Might still be the same shoe. The one with laces and a velcro strap. Comes with rubber over the cleat surface so can be run as a really stiff flat shoe.
    The problem with Five Ten is that every new model and sub-model has a different fit. It's fucking maddening.
    Sometimes you can "open up" a shoe by putting in a Superfeet/SOLE type insert. Lifting up your arch has helped my feet from splaying out so much.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Did this research this week as well. I’m going to try to find a pair of discontinued Impact VXI. Real similar feet to OP regular ankle and heel (even slightly on the narrow side) but big forefoot with my little toes sticking out real far-like a paddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Did this research this week as well. I’m going to try to find a pair of discontinued Impact VXI. Real similar feet to OP regular ankle and heel (even slightly on the narrow side) but big forefoot with my little toes sticking out real far-like a paddle.
    Please report back when you find a pair. I try really hard to only buy shoes with easy returns, but I can override that rule if these seem dialed.

5.10 ascent approach shoes were the best thing ever for this, not easy to find now but great.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Gravity always wins...