Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    some time zones in the world are 15min ahead or behind their neighbours (I think Nepal has one of these zones)

Meanwhile all of China follows just one time zone and they are almost as wide as the continental US.

Indiana is a great example with this whole argument over daylight savings time. The state operates a weird system with daylight savings different on a county-by-county level. Indiana has 12 counties observing Central Daylight Time while the remaining 80 counties observe Eastern Daylight Time. They are still arguing over it, and has made for some good case studies on their impact.

Name:  indiana_sucks.JPG
Views: 441
Size:  59.1 KB

A great paper was published back in 2011 on this. There is definitely a cost associated with having daylight savings time, in regards to energy cost. A small amount of economic output is also lost with people adjusting to the hour difference, but that it much harder to measure.

If anyone is curious, the link to the study is here.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Indian reservations aren't federal land. They are Indian land, semi-autonomous.
    eh, not 100% accurate. Indian reservations are owned by the federal government and held in trust for the tribe. They are often referred to as "trust land" (though not all land held in trust for a tribe is part of its reservation). This ownership oddity does mean that in many ways, it IS like "normal" federal land, but in many ways it is different.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I fucking hate daylight savings

But feds have no legal standing for law enforcement on them or is that urban legend?
    Last edited by mcski; 11-04-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Its a 1/2 an hr later in newfoundland eh bye?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    But feds have no legal standing for law enforcement or them or is that urban. Mythology?
    The feds definitely have law enforcement authority under the Major Crimes Act.

Jurisdiction on reservations is one of the most complex areas of law there are, so without a detailed fact scenario, it would be difficult to say what the jurisdictional rules are.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Make the whole world zulu time, that'll solve everything.

I keep thinking I want to just get up at sunrise every day but apparently I don't want to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    I like having sun in the morning, don’t change anything.
    The last few years I've actually liked the fall back time change. I'm usually stuck at work past dark regardless so at least this way I get some more sunlight in the morning. I have an easier time of it waking up with the sun up than when it's still dark. I like the later sunsets in spring/summer. So my vote... keep it the way it is.

If we have to change I'll give up more morning sunshine this time of year for more evening sun in the spring/summer for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    The feds definitely have law enforcement authority under the Major Crimes Act.

Jurisdiction on reservations is one of the most complex areas of law there are, so without a detailed fact scenario, it would be difficult to say what the jurisdictional rules are.
    That was my bro-in-laws speciality in the FBI. Now he consults on the subject. Him explaining the intricacies of tribal law vs fed make my head spin.

The spring forward sucks. Don't mind the fall back. Makes magic time on the river earlier so I can get home from fishing earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Name:  IMG_2644.JPG
Views: 328
Size:  79.9 KB

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The east Kootenays (Fernie, Golden, Creston), and the Peace (Dawson Cr, Fort St John) are on permanent Mountain Standard Time. Spent a few years in both those areas, and I preferred the single time regime. The shoulder seasons are always a bit difficult with the twilight periods near the start and end of work, but in winter or summer proper such concerns just didn't exist.
    And when living north of 54N, when the summer night is only 2 hrs of twilight, and the winter day is only 4hrs, changing the clock for a single hour of light doesn't really matter.

time zones fascinate me

"The town of Lloydminster, Alberta straddles the border with its neighbouring province Saskatchewan. This border town phenomenon is usually not a big deal, until daylight saving time ends.

Saskatchewan is the only Canadian province that does not observe daylight saving time, but Lloydminster follows Alberta time, which means that for a large portion of the year Saskatchewan slips out of sync with Lloydminster.

Cindy Trigg lives in Lloydminster and works in Saskatchewan. During the winter months, her home is one hour ahead of her workplace. But during daylight saving time, things sync up. It can make things...confusing.

Any one remember SWATCH Time (tm)? It doesn't matter what we call it. set the time leave it, and adapt our operating hours around that...

Powder days around Christmas will be interesting. No way your hill will be open by 9AM if we got to permanent DST - too dark to throw bombs. So maybe ski hill will just open at 10 AM until sometime in February...

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    time zones fascinate me

"The town of Lloydminster, Alberta straddles the border with its neighbouring province Saskatchewan. This border town phenomenon is usually not a big deal, until daylight saving time ends.

Saskatchewan is the only Canadian province that does not observe daylight saving time, but Lloydminster follows Alberta time, which means that for a large portion of the year Saskatchewan slips out of sync with Lloydminster.

Cindy Trigg lives in Lloydminster and works in Saskatchewan. During the winter months, her home is one hour ahead of her workplace. But during daylight saving time, things sync up. It can make things...confusing.
    https://lasvegassun.com/news/2011/ju...ent-time-zone/

interesting. also cool that there is a town called Jackpot.

I used to live in a house that was built by Sanford Fleming the guy that came up with the idea of time zones which explains some of my fascination with the concept

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    They're going to switch to year round DST out here in the PNW, and as soon as they do, people will begin to bitch about it and demand we go back. Guess what: in November, December, January and a good chunk of February, it's still going to be too dark to do jack shit outside after work, but on top of that, it will also be dark until damn near 10:00am..
    exactly- people like to complain. If it were year-round DST, people would complain about the dark winter mornings when it's coldest. If it were year-round standard time, people would complain about the early summer nights. Now we switch and people complain about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    exactly- people like to complain. If it were year-round DST, people would complain about the dark winter mornings when it's coldest. If it were year-round standard time, people would complain about the early summer nights. Now we switch and people complain about that.
    Complainers gonna complain.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Complainers gonna complain.
    Humans gonna human.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    That was my bro-in-laws speciality in the FBI. Now he consults on the subject. Him explaining the intricacies of tribal law vs fed make my head spin.

The spring forward sucks. Don't mind the fall back. Makes magic time on the river earlier so I can get home from fishing earlier.
    You just explained why I like changing back and forth. Getting up in the pitch dark sucks, and having extra daylight in the summer is cool.

It screws up my sleep due to same bed and start time for work. It makes adjustment to 10 clocks a pain. But what gets me most is the dark by 530 if trying to bike after work.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I am ok with dark in the morning, I'm for DST year round, but if that's not an option, you damn well better give me DST in the summer months.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    That's what the French thought. Swatch tried to resurrect this in the late nineties.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    It screws up my sleep due to same bed and start time for work. It makes adjustment to 10 clocks a pain. But what gets me most is the dark by 530 if trying to bike after work.

Same here, except change bike to golf