Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What skis for me wife?

Looking to upgrade the wife's skis this season. Thinking that all-mountain is a good description. Mostly ski Arapahoe Basin steeps, bumps, trees but still needs to be capable on groomers. She's a great technical skier, can make it down anything with much more grace than I ever will, but doesn't really like to open it up and let them run.
    Probably something 100mm+ and she's been on 168cms which are probably a little short for her.
    She's currently on some ON3P Jessie's that never really clicked for her, so they'll be headed to gear swap. I think that she needs something more forgiving, shorter sidecut. I've loved my BG's and would really like to get her on something like those but in a narrower waist and shorter. I'll probably throw some Shifts on them so touring an option, but she has AT skis for longer tours.

So what's out there this season? I might be able to get her some Black Crows for cheaper, but what model?

4frnt Hoji W? Icelantic Maiden 111? Black Crows Atris birdie is also a nice option

For Black Crows the Daemon birdie was a hit for my wife. Flat underfoot catered to her style/ability better in maritime snow. Versatile 99 wide. Wife skis the 170 comfortably. I’m on the BC Corvus in two different sizes and these birdie skis are essential a narrower ladies equivalent. Solid skis

Yeah, the Daemon was what I was leaning towards for her. Atris might be a little more ski than she wants.

I might look into those Maidens too. Always liked Icelantic and I know they are made well in the NS factory.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    Yeah, the Daemon was what I was leaning towards for her. Atris might be a little more ski than she wants.

I might look into those Maidens too. Always liked Icelantic and I know they are made well in the NS factory.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Daemon Birdies on the cheap on STP. I think they’re great all around.

My wife skis the Atris in a 176 as her everyday, but now added the FX95HP in 173 as a groomer/shallow day ski.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Blizzard Sheevas might fit the bill.

Take her to demo day at Loveland. Figure out what she jives with. Then buy her that ski.

Or the Daemons.

Yeah just take her to a demo. Let her pick the ski she wants. WARNING might not end up being the ski you want her to have.

The former LWS speaks the truth above

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Yeah just take her to a demo. Let her pick the ski she wants. WARNING might not end up being the ski you want her to have.

Demos are part of the plan, and she has demoed a lot of skis in the past so I know her general targets.

Rustler 10?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Dunno, but strongly considering Prior Flute for my GF at some point

Certainly don't buy her the red ones. You don't want her to be faster than you.

I'd rec the demo day as well. I'm in same position with SO, and as much as I want to keep buying her skis, I have to restrain myself and let her choose, even if she ends up with something stupid like 333's with topo map topsheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Certainly don't buy her the red ones. You don't want her to be faster than you.

I'd rec the demo day as well. I'm in same position with SO, and as much as I want to keep buying her skis, I have to restrain myself and let her choose, even if she ends up with something stupid like 333's with topo map topsheets.
    Yeah that’s where I’m at. Basically putting what I think fits her likes in front of her, helping her narrow them down to something she will like.

Only problem with early season demos is that the terrain we normally ski isn’t open, so if she picks her favorite ski for the two groomers that are open, she will end up with something that sucks everywhere else. Then she starts hating to ski anything but groomers and I’m stuck at Keystone for the season. That’s my worst nightmare.

What skis for me wife?

snip.....
    all-mountain .....steeps, bumps, trees but still needs to be capable on groomers. .....make it down anything with much more grace than I ever will, but doesn't really like to open it up and let them run.
    Probably something 100mm+ and she's been on 168cms which are probably a little short for her.
    She's currently on some ON3P Jessie's that never really clicked for her,
    I think that she needs something more forgiving, shorter sidecut. ?
    Nordica Santa Ana 100 probably in 169.
    Ladies in my household much prefer them to Sheeva’s.

But I guess I’d start by figuring out why she didn’t gel with the Jessies and then think about what shes really looking for. On one hand you say 168s are too short but I wonder why given “she doesn’t like to open it up and let them run” and “she needs something more forgiving”.

Problem with demoing this time of year, you’ll end up paying full boat.

I usually pick up the shortest length of a men’s model cheap, at the end of the season.

Moment Sierras

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is a bunch of dudes figuring out what a woman wants. Why isn't she asking her friends what they like, going to a shop and asking a girl that works there what to do, and buying them herself? Nothing wrong with trying to be helpful and pointing her in a right direction, but I can't imagine buying a pair of skis for any adult for any reason.

Right?^^
    My wife’s lady friends can’t stop jabbering about skis. They’re waayy into it!

Is the Ski Diva site down??
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

The new Moment Bella looks rad

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    This thread is a bunch of dudes figuring out what a woman wants. Why isn't she asking her friends what they like, going to a shop and asking a girl that works there what to do, and buying them herself? Nothing wrong with trying to be helpful and pointing her in a right direction, but I can't imagine buying a pair of skis for any adult for any reason.
    Surely I'm the first husband to ever ask for assistance buying skis for his significant other on the internet. Actually, while my wife is incredibly intelligent, she cares very little about the technical aspects of ski design, as do most of her friends. I think they'd be more likely to discuss the benefits of baby diaper design than the turn radius of various ski models. Maybe they go to forums and discuss that stuff like we do skis here, and maybe that's why there's maybe 3 women who actually comment on this site on a regular basis.

My main objective is to get it narrowed down to a few models that would be good for her to consider since she doesn't really have time or will to research and demo every ski on the market.
    Right now she's leaning toward the Volkl Kenjas.

pics?
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    pics?
    Almost made it through the first page without this^^

I’ve been down this road... my wife skis 40+ days but really doesn’t want to spend days shopping for skis. I enjoy ski talk and research so I tend to narrow things down and take care of some initial research.

I’ve bought her a few pairs with the mindset that she might love them... she might not. It can defiantly be a bit more expensive if you need to flip gear. Also, keep in mind you can “learn to ski” most types of skis. Meaning she can acclimate to a setup with time (as long as they are not overly demanding).

Two good questions:
    Does she want a setup that works really well for the type of skiing she thinks is fun? Or does she want a setup that excels at making areas she struggles with easier?

IE if she likes smooth frontside runs and moguls, but struggles in variable. You could buy a ski that’s great in the conditions she likes (consistent snow) or one that’s great at making variable conditions easier.

My wife didn’t like 3D variable snow and skiing fast through chop, so we bought her some Prior Flutes last winter and she learned how to ski those conditions. They were not her favorite ski from day one but she learned how to use them and likes them a lot now.

Surely I'm the first husband to ever ask for assistance buying skis for his significant other on the internet. Actually, while my wife is incredibly intelligent, she cares very little about the technical aspects of ski design, as do most of her friends. I think they'd be more likely to discuss the benefits of baby diaper design than the turn radius of various ski models. Maybe they go to forums and discuss that stuff like we do skis here, and maybe that's why there's maybe 3 women who actually comment on this site on a regular basis.

My main objective is to get it narrowed down to a few models that would be good for her to consider since she doesn't really have time or will to research and demo every ski on the market.
    Right now she's leaning toward the Volkl Kenjas.