Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fox X2 impressions?

Considering one instead of coilover. (This is NOT a coil-over vs. Air discussion, please!)
    Just curious how it fares compared to a DPX2.
    Is it that much better, or am I chasing ghosts if I want it to feel more like a coilover?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

you mean dhx2 vs dpx2?

I've had a bunch of dhx2s and now a bike with a dpx2. The dhx2s aren't really anything that special IMO. They work well on bikes with logical leverage curves and feel weird on ones without. The twin tube poppet valve circuit kind of screws up the rebound damping on anything but a moderately progressive frame. I deliberately used an older dhx5 on my v10 but have been pretty happy with them on two trail bikes. The dpx2s are a decent light air shock but the 3 position thing just needs to die in a hole in 2004 where it came from.

What bike?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

This is what I am thinking of.

https://www.ridefox.com/family.php?m...family=floatx2

Rocky Instinct BC.
    Thanks.

Brief summary: Dpx2 is the best trail bike air shock I've tried. Great mix of small bump sensitivity with enough support so that they pedal well.

Float x2 is the best DH bike air shock I've ridden. Bump compliance is paramount. That comes at the cost of some support and efficiency, but they feel more like a coil than any other air shock I've tried.

Kind of sounds like what I am looking for, then. I ran the DPX2 until this last summer when I replaced it with a CCDB, the X2 ‘seems’ like something between the two.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    This is what I am thinking of.

https://www.ridefox.com/family.php?m...family=floatx2

Rocky Instinct BC.
    Thanks.
    Those are called FLOAT X2s.
    sorry, I'd help but you already ran me out of words. Plan ahead next time.

I pretty much agree with toast on the float x2. Being progressive and spring tuneable seems to make it work better than the dhx2 in a lot of cases.

I think the dpx2 is a good lightweight air shock but I don't dance around in circles in joy over it or anything. It needs more LS comp damping adjustment IMO. But that's also every other shock you're going to compare it to because we stupid mountainbikers get confused if there are more than 3 settings on that stuff.

Those instincts look like they should work well with just about anything.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Have to admit I’m still not super-duper comfortable with all of the settings on the float,I feel like I kinda got lucky with the CCDB coil after messing with it a bunch on a lift-served day.
    So many ways to get it not right...

Have to admit I’m still not super-duper comfortable with all of the settings on the float,I feel like I kinda got lucky with the CCDB coil after messing with it a bunch on a lift-served day.
    So many ways to get it not right...
    Each of those 'clicks' don't do that much, and the range is probably even narrower than what you have in the 3 positions on the dpx2. I just rebuilt my dhx2 on my trailbike and still screwed with the base valve shims vs. trying to eek more out of the port dampers on the adjusters.

As far as your original question: yes the float x2s are a reasonable replacement for a coil, especially on a bike like yours. As soon as I find a cheap used one, I'll be putting one on my megadogg thing to replace the dhx2. The only thing that coil version gives you universally is better top end sensitivity.

Pretty much agree with everything that Woo and Toast said. I'll add that the Float X2 has a much better air spring than the CCDBA - far more midstroke support, and a broader tuning range of progression with volume spacers (I know the CC has those too, but there's much less room for them so the swing from min to max is smaller).

woo, what side do you need for that GG?

I think you’ll be stoked with the move adding some nice DH chops to your Instinct...I’m really happy with mine putting it on the original HightowerLT from day one. Just beware that the newest one has an elastomer? bumper inside to prevent harsh bottom out and depending on how progressive the bike is, some reports suggest that they don’t utilize the last 10mm or so of stroke travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find every click on my X2 to be noticeable. I am very happy with it on my HD4.

Thanks, FD. From what I remember, you are pretty light...do you know how you have it set up?

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    woo, what side do you need for that GG?
    230 x 65

FD: I didn't say unnoticeable, just very minutely incremental. It's why I use them over the 3 position things which always seem like I'm searching for something between the available settings.

It also varies with what base tune you have, and the overall leverage of your bike. There about 6+ base tunes. The first gen ones were vastly different base shim stacks (and better IMO), plus any individual OEM specific tunes that might be out there. On my heavily over-leveraged v10, the dhx2 that came on it was almost worthless for any kind of real damping control. On my trailbike, I like them. Lots of variables.

Hunh, so if I buy one from Fox, (qbp) can I request a tune, or would I have to send it somewhere?

Hunh, so if I buy one from Fox, (qbp) can I request a tune, or would I have to send it somewhere?
    They used to be made/mailed to order based on your frame. I just looked at qbp and they just have shocks with no listing of the base tunes. Call them and see what's up. Maybe they really are just selling one aftermarket shock now.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    230 x 65
    I got nothin' then.

It's the thought that counts.
    I didn't have a coil that size either so I just put 11mm of spacers on the shaft and made one from a 9.5 x 3.0

Unfortunately I think that's the only size you can do that with.

Fox X2 impressions?

It’s a fox, it will die within a week. Don’t do it.

I seem to warranty one fox air shock a week, they have major issues currently. The new rockshox stuff is amazing, and not to mention dvo. The jade I have on my patrol is killer. Annnnd they have a lockout on the coil now. Almost anything other than fox!

Quote Originally Posted by Dhiler17 View Post
    It’s a fox, it will die within a week. Don’t do it.
    Shit, I better not tell my 10yr old dhx5 on my dh bike, or my 5 year old dhx2 on my trail bike, or the dpx2 I've been riding for 3 months......

Don't you tell'em either mmmkay? Deal

Fox X2 impressions?

Thanks, FD. From what I remember, you are pretty light...do you know how you have it set up?
    Lsr Hsr LSC Hsc

17. 13. 20. 19

150 psi. I weigh 145.

A riding buddy has blown his X2 a few times. He's a bigger guy on an Evil Wreckoning. The 2019 model apparently has made some small changes to allow for a higher max pressure (300 vs 250) and more tokens (though you don't seem to want more progressivity). If you're a bigger guy, it might be worth getting the newer model for the higher max pressure.

172 or so soaking wet, so I would probably be OK.
    But that is good to know.

Watch out for the DPX2 on progressive frames if you are a heavier dude. The thing felt either super harsh or wallowy/using too much travel on small hits for me. DVO Topaz was superior, although I am now using a DHX2 and happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    A riding buddy has blown his X2 a few times. He's a bigger guy on an Evil Wreckoning. The 2019 model apparently has made some small changes to allow for a higher max pressure (300 vs 250) and more tokens (though you don't seem to want more progressivity). If you're a bigger guy, it might be worth getting the newer model for the higher max pressure.
    What's breaking on them?

Are the cans exploding again? So bummed I never got to see one happen.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Watch out for the DPX2 on progressive frames if you are a heavier dude. The thing felt either super harsh or wallowy/using too much travel on small hits for me. DVO Topaz was superior, although I am now using a DHX2 and happy with it.
    You check to see if it had any spacers in it?

I have a Float X2 I tuned for "poppy/playful" or something like that with a Shockwiz. It's been good. I did pop a seal riding DH on it, fwiw.