Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Do you know what a hedge fund is?
    Are you asking someone whose dad worked for Goldman Sachs if they know what private equity management is?

Am I just off base here? I thought they were owned by a hedge fund, certainly not VC, and not the same group that owns K2.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

They're owned by some hedge fund. this is the world we live in.
    Are you asking someone whose dad worked for Goldman Sachs if they know what private equity management is?

Am I just off base here? I thought they were owned by a hedge fund, certainly not VC, and not the same group that owns K2.
    Hedge funds typically work in securities. Read-liquid assets that are generally publicly traded. PE money typically works in privately held businesses. Not nearly as liquid, not publicly traded. But the son of a dad who works for GS would know that. TSG is the PE firm that owns BC.com. If you look at their portfolio of other companies (not stocks or funds) under ownership, you will see a lot of companies you might be familiar with...like PBR, the beer.

I'm sure there are people who could explain it better than me. Call your dad and have him login to give us the Goldman Sachs definition.

Are you asking someone whose dad worked for Goldman Sachs
    ^ what a really great call out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I never realized competitivecyclist and steep&cheep are also part of that conglomerate... two more websites to never visit...

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    So they're the Specialized of the outdoor retail market? Good to know...
    Oh shit, what did Specialized do? You mean I have to sell my mtb now to feel good about myself?

^^^^ They sued Stumptown Coffee in Portland and the Portland bike shops didn't take kindly to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    ^^^^ They sued Stumptown Coffee in Portland and the Portland bike shops didn't take kindly to it.
    Christ. At least I don't own a Stumpjumper anymore, but riding my Camber 29er just won't be the same. At least they're not trying to trademark the word camber.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    ^ what a really great call out.
    Careful dude. His dad might beat your dad up.

Quote Originally Posted by telemon10 View Post
    Christ. At least I don't own a Stumpjumper anymore, but riding my Camber 29er just won't be the same. At least they're not trying to trademark the word camber yet.
    FIFY

That’s gold.

I’m using this when someone questions me on anything.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by telemon10 View Post
    Oh shit, what did Specialized do? You mean I have to sell my mtb now to feel good about myself?
    Specialized has done a bunch of dumb "trademark enforcement" type actions. The biggest one I remember was going after a small coffee shop in Canada called Cafe Roubaix. Because Specialized has a bike called the Roubaix. A bike that's named after the famous Paris-Roubaix bike race. Which, of course, is named after the towns in France where it starts (Paris) and ends (Roubaix).

https://www.velonews.com/2013/12/bik...e-brand_310878

Revelate bikepacking bags were originally Epic Bags. Specialized went after them for "Epic". Thus the eventual name change to Revelate Designs

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Specialized has done a bunch of dumb "trademark enforcement" type actions. The biggest one I remember was going after a small coffee shop in Canada called Cafe Roubaix. Because Specialized has a bike called the Roubaix. A bike that's named after the famous Paris-Roubaix bike race. Which, of course, is named after the towns in France where it starts (Paris) and ends (Roubaix).

Well, Specialized sucks too then. Not sure how I missed all that, but let's not hijack this thread away from the peckerheads at Backcountry.com.

Name:  AllYouSpecialize2.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  39.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    That’s gold.

I’m using this when someone questions me on anything.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Lol, yeah. That one’s gonna stick around a while.

We've come full circle!!!
    TSG owns Stumptown and Backcountry!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by ExPowderSnob View Post
    I never realized competitivecyclist and steep&cheep are also part of that conglomerate... two more websites to never visit...
    Also Motosport and Bergfreunde.de. And WhiskeyMilitia, if they are still alive.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

So what happens when all the words are trademarked? I guess start making them up--like the names of heavily advertised, $100,000 a year drugs. They come up with some weird names for those.

Your dad is Steve Bannon?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Looks like Cripple Creek Backcountry is on notice too.

That one was terrible. Here's slightly different one: When Avery Brewing started out Adam Avery had a dog named Elle. He named his brown ale after it. Elle magazine sued him. He was tiny at the time so he changed the name of his beer. And his dog.

This is from the website allaboutbeer.com:
    You would think that the average consumer could tell the difference between a beer and a women’s fashion magazine. Yet the publishers of Elle, recalls Adam Avery, brought legal action over a brand called Elle’s Brown Ale, named after the brewer’s late Labrador retriever. Avery resolved the dispute by adding an “i” to make Elle “Ellie.”
    We were in the right,” says Avery, “but I didn’t want to spend time in court. Some people might say, ‘I’m going to fight tooth and nail,’ but not me. The problem with trademarks is that you’ve got to spend a lot money to keep them.”

Hedge funds typically work in securities. Read-liquid assets that are generally publicly traded. PE money typically works in privately held businesses. Not nearly as liquid, not publicly traded. But the son of a dad who works for GS would know that. TSG is the PE firm that owns BC.com. If you look at their portfolio of other companies (not stocks or funds) under ownership, you will see a lot of companies you might be familiar with...like PBR, the beer.

I'm sure there are people who could explain it better than me. Call your dad and have him login to give us the Goldman Sachs definition.
    Hedge fund is slang for maybe a certain type of PE firm. Unless I have my nouns mixed up. They both often do LBOs of entire companies.

Would only be a great call out if he retired from there and I had the trust fund to go with it.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

The great vampire squid.

stuck-I'd go with your signature on this one.

Hedge fund is slang for maybe a certain type of PE firm. Unless I have my nouns mixed up. They both often do LBOs of entire companies.

Would only be a great call out if he retired from there and I had the trust fund to go with it.
    Although they may sometimes overlap, hedge funds and private equity are different. Leverage buyouts are the defining activity of Private Equity. Both, however, are alternative investments.