Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    It might be shopping for some people here, maybe you don't have friends/family running small businesses with the word "backcountry" in the name. Or "Adventure," or "Trails" or "Outdoor." The chilling effects and implications of this battle are pretty big for small outdoors industry businesses, especially startups and regional businesses.

Small businesses don't have the money to fund protracted IP law fights, even in arbitration, not unless there is a wave of attention and outrage such as what we are seeing now. Hence the fundraising activities for those who wish to fight the goliath.

I'm not actually asking anyone here to care by the way. I'm just pointing out that there are reasons to care here other than shopping, or just being self righteous about what corporations should or shouldn't be doing.

And for the record I used to work in product marketing / product management / brand management professionally for a publicly traded $4bn annual revenue company. In my experience these types of strategy decisions don't often come without a fair amount of internal discussion and disagreement - everyone might be towing the corporate line once the decision is made, but many middle and upper management personnel don't always agree with the chosen direction. I can say that in a reasonably run company, absolutely there will be meetings reconsidering the strategy ... Especially if the short term sales impacts and negative publicity are enough to provide an anticipated miss for Q4 revenue and margin targets.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    ... I understand that the real threat to the company's future is that no one bought the skis.
    Glad you understand the fiscal reality of Snapperhead better than the owner who has talked extensively about the impact of bc's bullshit on his company's future. He's been pretty clear he makes the American median salary (~50k) working for less than a month of year off the venture.

You're idea that because people are pissed about this, they arent pissed about other things is bullshit.

This is a fucking ski forum about outdoor adventures. No one is posting up here about how they coordinate regular Israeli apartheid events, participate in direct action against police brutality, or work prosecuting the fuckers profiting from the opioid epidemic. Yet I've met mags that do all those things.

What's awesome is I own and love Marquettes, and ski them all the time. I understand that the real threat to the company's future is that no one bought the skis.

He sells 200-400 pairs/year and turns a profit.

This isn’t about shopping, it’s about a big corporate entity trying to intimidate and destroy small businesses.

Glad you think you’re so smart though.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Fuckn truth right there. Ridiculous. Imagine if folks mobilized over social media for actual issues that affect our lives outside of shopping. This is really so fucking dumb. Move over #firstworldproblems, here comes #pissedoffsportyshoppers
    #mmaedtotheheadonetomanytimes
    #nobodycaresyousuckgoatdick
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Small businesses don't have the money to fund protracted IP law fights, even in arbitration, not unless there is a wave of attention and outrage such as what we are seeing now. Hence the fundraising activities for those who wish to fight the goliath.
    Someone should start up a Small Business Trademark and Name Defense Association insurance program
    that uses member funds to effectively litigate for members facing such legal actions from larger entities.

A good offense is the best defense.

I wonder who owns the trademark for Sidecountry, Slackcountry, Jongcountry, Highcountry? LOL.
    Quick!
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

BC employees are great. It’s the overlord idiot screwing it up for everyone. I can’t believe they are actually losing any business due to the small backcountry
    Liked going there and talking with people. Kind of like TGR except they have couches

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ftr i do haz multiple couchs including the buried one in the mancaves and im my own head gear guides
    and my cat bro mag is my bro
    always will be
    and vibes if smjw is something you spend much of your time on
    i figured out them rubegoldbeged #wtffrischifuck brakes
    aint found the stupid small black thing for the others yet
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    BC employees are great. It’s the overlord idiot screwing it up for everyone.
    No.

At a certain point you're part of the puzzle and make things worse by being silent/there. The rubber has to meet the road. Either you're a small part or you're a big part, if you're there you're not "great".

If you work for a company that was once great and your boss starts cheating/dumping waste/doing bad shit that may be technically legal but not ethical and you are quiet, you're not "great".

Why is everyone is willing to look the other way for a little money and security?

....to get some money and security.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Is it hard being so hardcore?

Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Yawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurgood Jenkins View Post

Why is everyone is willing to look the other way for a little money and security?
    Because that's the American Way. Why do you hate America?

Quote Originally Posted by Thurgood Jenkins View Post
    No.

At a certain point you're part of the puzzle and make things worse by being silent/there. The rubber has to meet the road. Either you're a small part or you're a big part, if you're there you're not "great".

If you work for a company that was once great and your boss starts cheating/dumping waste/doing bad shit that may be technically legal but not ethical and you are quiet, you're not "great".

Maybe. This just went down, so to say someone should just quit immediately is not realistic. Their direct boss and culture may be great. Working for a multi-billion dollar company you will most likely not agree with everything they do. People have expenses and stuff, ya know? They're not all financially secure skiing dentists.

Dave, you're going full retard...again. jeezus christ man.

FYI...Telemark is only dead to people who never really did it in the first place. I do agree though that this is a first-world problem but it is still a problem. Happy to see $#!? hit the fan with Backcountry.com and all the other companies that share the same ownership if they don't backdown.
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

P.E.T.A. People Eating Tasty Animals

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Whhhhaaaaatttt iffffff cripple creek bought wild snow to own the rights to the term that Lou coined “backcountry” to counter sue backcountry?!? We can hope.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Lol, the conspiracy theories run deep! This would be great

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Dave, you're going full retard...again. jeezus christ man.
    Nah, the amount of indignation over this here, and on all other social media platforms is fully retarded.

everybody’s wrong except for you..... got it.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    everybody’s wrong except for you..... got it.
    Backcountry.com Don't hate the player, hate the game. This is capitalism.

Backcountry.com Don't hate the player, hate the game. This is capitalism.
    And capitalism is also the consumer having and exercising the choice to not buy from the seller. So this is capitalism in action. Yay capitalism?

Also, how much effort do you actually think is going into this "boycott" from the people you see expressing so much indignation. Maybe what you see as a lot of effort, emotion, and time spent is actually a negligible amount for these people? I know ive spent less than 5 minutes writing a couple posts on here, and a quick online chat with a BC.com gearhead. Is that enough to qualify as fully retarded?

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    And capitalism is also the consumer having and exercising the choice to not buy from the seller. So this is capitalism in action. Yay capitalism?

Also, how much effort do you actually think is going into this "boycott" from the people you see expressing so much indignation. Maybe what you see as a lot of effort, emotion, and time spent is actually a negligible amount for these people? I know ive spent less than 5 minutes writing a couple posts on here, and a quick online chat with a BC.com gearhead. Is that enough to qualify as fully retarded?
    Do you have some Marquettes? Is this product important to you? If it's principals your standing up for, then how much time have each of you spent promoting a boycott of fossil fuels, or military aid to Isreal, or Saudi Arabia? If the answer is less than 5 minutes, then yeah...fully.

This is capitalism.
    The trouble with capitalism is capitalists.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post

And for the record I used to work in product marketing / product management / brand management professionally for a publicly traded $4bn annual revenue company.
    But where did your Dad work?

That's the new Goldman Sachs standard around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Do you have some Marquettes? Is this product important to you? If it's principals your standing up for, then how much time have each of you spent promoting a boycott of fossil fuels, or military aid to Isreal, or Saudi Arabia? If the answer is less than 5 minutes, then yeah...fully.
    In one respect I'm glad for the issue with BC.com because before this I've never heard of Marquettes and might actually get a pair. I do stand up for my principals and fully support Israel and fossil fuels.
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Good god, man, why don't you go print up some posters and protest these things outside of the state house if those things are so important to you? Has anyone else even mentioned that they care about these things, or more importantly, care about telling the collective here much these things matter to them?

We get it, you care a lot.

The things i care about deeply i donate time and money to. The things i care about passively on principle i donate a minimal amount of time to if the legwork is done for me... in this case all the legwork is done, and my now 6mins of donated time has been used efficiently to voice my opinion to stakeholders.

I think there is a disconnect between what most consider a negligible amount of time and effort, and what you consider an excess amount of time and effort. IDK, 6 mins of time spent in a week on a one off issue doesnt seem like much effort, but maybe that is herculean to you. IDK.

You do realize that it's not just about Marquettes? You seem to think that everyone is up in arms because one small company in the midwest is being bullied, which is pretty obviously not the case, if you paid the least bit of attention. And you seem to think that capitalism is legit justification for bc.com's actions, but not a legit justification for those seeking to boycott bc.com, which is a really warped view of capitalism.

And of course, you seem to think that everyone must place all issues in a hierarchy, and then only express outrage or "do anything" about the issue at the top of the list. Which is utterly bizarre.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy