Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    It was an apology.

For getting caught.
    Anyone have a link to how they responded? Just curious.
    Too bad a bunch of my gear is covered in goats.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista_Bob View Post
    Anyone have a link to how they responded? Just curious.
    Too bad a bunch of my gear is covered in goats.
    https://www.ksl.com/article/46669557...ng-backcountry

It's pretty weak IMO. They dropped the suit against the Marquette guy but haven't really said anything about those they 'settled' (beat/scared into submission) with; all the others who already modified their businesses and are gagged from speaking by the settlements. BC.com started an apology and, at least, will probably not pursue others but they're a long way from gaining back trust from the community. Bad owners, bad management, totally out of touch with their customer base/culture as well as their own employees. They're either lacking or ignoring what should be core principles of decency. That's a cancer that needs to be extracted and it starts at the top.
    Last edited by GoldMember; 11-08-2019 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista_Bob View Post
    Where? And of course they did. Apologies don’t mean much unless you actually do something different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    It was far from an apology

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    It was an apology.

For getting caught.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    https://www.ksl.com/article/46669557...ng-backcountry

It's pretty weak IMO. They dropped the suit against the Marquette guy but haven't really said anything about those they 'settled' (beat/scared into submission) with all the others who already modified their businesses and are gagged from the settlements. BC.com started and, at least, will probably not pursue others but they're a long way from gaining back trust from the community. Bad owners, bad management, totally out of touch with their customer base/culture as well as their own employees. They're either lacking or ignoring what should be core principles of decency. That's a cancer that needs to be extracted and it starts at the top.
    All of this....

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Fuck Backcountry.com

I won't spend any money there unless they fully reverse course; reimburse for reputational damage, losses, and expenses those they've sent cease and desist orders to or taken legal action against, and send apology letters to same; publicly apologise in all social media and post an apology on each page of their website for a period of no less than 180 days; start a fund whereby for a minimum of 15 years backcountry.com donates 1% of profits to a trust fund for granting those money's to outdoor focussed startups and entrepreneurs, who may only have or be involved in a single business with value of less than $250,000 USD, and which will be run by a board of directors made up of entrepreneurs who may only be involved in one business with value of less than $500,000 who will choose from applications/applicants to the fund.

Yah.

Fuck Backcountry.com right in the backcountry.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Surprised their parent company/PE firm/board hasn't begun cleaning house yet, starting with the CEO. He royally fucked up, and then continued to show absolutely zero leadership with his "We're sorry... well, not really sorry" letter.

tl;dr they dropped the suit?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

tl;dr they dropped the suit?
    They drop 1 suit of many.

And only the one that the person was willing to, and had the resource to, fight them and potentially jeopardize their tm.

The apology seemed to imply that they actually bought the right to use "backcountry" to market apparel (or something) from one or more of the companies they've settled with (whose name likely would have had to change), but are blocked from saying so by their own NDA. I hope that's actually true. It would be comically ironic.

They drop 1 suit of many.

And only the one that the person was willing to, and had the resource to, fight them and potentially jeopardize their tm.
    Dropping one suit and saying, “My bad” basically, doesn’t mean much. They got too big for their britches and it bit ‘em.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    Surprised their parent company/PE firm/board hasn't begun cleaning house yet, starting with the CEO. He royally fucked up, and then continued to show absolutely zero leadership with his "We're sorry... well, not really sorry" letter.
    They placed the CEO and I seriously doubt he went forward with all this activity without them either suggesting/demanding it or at least green-lighting it. Their a PE firm; not surprising. It's a bully tactic to try to build inherent blue-sky asset value related to the name with the idea the company is then worth more when they sell it off at some later date.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    The apology seemed to imply that they actually bought the right to use "backcountry" to market apparel (or something) from one or more of the companies they've settled with (whose name likely would have had to change), but are blocked from saying so by their own NDA. I hope that's actually true. It would be comically ironic.
    I don't know that they bought the rights to use 'backcountry' in their marketing so much as having forced cease-and-desist settlements by virtue of their trademark rights of having registered the word as theirs. That gave them tremendous leverage that they then used against very small companies without the resources to fight it. However, I don't think the case would hold up for them as the word itself is common vernacular and is utilized as a descriptor of a place(s) much like mountains, lakes, and so on. Hell, the National Park Service utilizes the word backcountry for various permitting and access. They even have official positions as backcountry rangers (positions open). I don't see BC.com suing the federal government over their use. hmmm....

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvis...try-permit.htm

https://www.nps.gov/features/colm/vi...ry-ranger.html

Really Backcountry.com??

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    It’s entirely possible that in some cases they are the ones who handed money out in a settlement deal, but looking at the USPTO history and seeing who had a protracted set of back and forth communications and subsequent trademark cancellation favoring Backcountry.com, it would look externally like anyone who tried to fight then folded.

But it doesn’t really matter. They went down a path that led them into a closed canyon: They didn’t wanna go overstock.com route (create a new trademarkable name like o.co, confuse the market, then backpedal), but still wanted to drop the “.com” to simplify their brand, and then what sealed their fate was the idea to create exclusive co-branded distribution deals where they would be differentiated from other e-trailers (can’t get this one from Sierra or Moosejaw!) and they would also have favorable margin positions (you’ll sell through us at a lower price, for the right to use our amazing logo on your gear!). To make all that happen they had to legally gain access to and then protect the “backcountry” trademark as applicable to the extremely wide range of commercial uses for which they filed. I think USPTO’s ignorance and IPLA’s nonsense convinced execs that they could win at this strategy, which (using 20/20 hindsight) is about as dumb as thinking “cars.com” could go after every automotive-related trademark having the word “car” in it and create sole source distribution deals to resell co-branded “cars.”

Notice how Apple does not sell fruit, nor does Coke sell processed coal.

Hey, but wtf do I know, my dad was in the army then worked for corporate media for years, must be a fake.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Good point about the real end game here. They want their own brand so they can escape from the hell that is price-matching. If everybody has their own brand or even just their own part number for things then bc doesn't have to compete with evo anymore.

There stuff is very similar to some major manufacturers gear. But then copies is a form of flattery

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

so back to that hardcore mofo sodomizing the Goat sticker, take my money.

They did have a great service, nice preices on gear I used, and cool culture in the mid 00s, sad really.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/fro-riders.html

this was a great turn around/fuckyou on Cannnondale who had trademarked Freeride and were trying to enforce it

Simmons, Schely and Tippie pretty much the pioneers of freeride appeared in a Rocky mountain add as "fro riders" with the wigs

I can still see that add with the wigs but I don't remember C-dale having anything to do with freeride, in any case ... go with the Fro eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxxx View Post
    The one that makes them dead to me is bringing legal action against a tiny company that focuses on avalanche safety. They could've went the opposite way.. Promoting Backcountry Babes, selling Marquette skis, etc.. That would've solidified their position as a decent company.

Maybe they tried, got rejected and got butthurt.

They're exposed now though. Good luck putting that toothpaste back in the tube..
    Embedded in https://www.outtherecolorado.com/onl...d-backcountry/
    You will find a Wintry Mix podcast with Dave Ollila, owner of Marquette Backcountry. First he heard about the whole deal is when a sheriff showed up at his house. No warning.

This is just a side gig for him. In a good year they sell 400 pair at $189 each. Slow year is 100 pair. Their cost to manufacture in USA is $40, and insurance runs about $40. So in a good year he clears about $36K.

He's an interesting guy. Developed a helmet cam before gopro. Towards the end he talks about his involvement in the regulation that airlines have to let you off the plane after three hours on tarmac.

This reminds me of like 25 years ago when a winery in Oregon bottled a wine called "Revolution #9 and decided to sue Magic Hat Brewing for use of the mark "#9". MHB's CEO Alan Newman decided the best route was to fly to Oregon, sit down with the winery and figure something out. They did - amicably.

Maybe if we all paste the word backcounty into a post 100 times, the next patent and tm person to make a ruling on this can be advised by the defense of various companies to do a Google search first and then bam, genericide.
    Fuckers.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

From Tyson Stellrecht, owner of Boise Gear Collective, posted to the boycottBcdc Facebook group:
    I'm coming out because I just can't hold back anymore. I am the owner of a consignment/secondhand outdoor gear shop in Boise, ID. The name of my shop was Backcountry Pursuit for the first five years I was in business. That was until Backcountrydotcom's lawyers got a hold of me and forced a rebrand. My shop is now called Boise Gear Collective. They came after a used gear shop employing 14 people at the time in Boise, ID that had zero online presence besides and informational website and the occasional Craigslist post. I am happy to say I am thriving now and have grown to 23 employees in the past year despite this entire mess and the tens of thousands of dollars it cost me. I feel rather vindicated that this is all happening and I so appreciate the community standing behind small businesses like mine. It still doesn't replace the money I lost fighting this battle, but hopefully the local community will spend a little more at my shop this winter stock up and holiday season.
    This is exactly the kind of story the CEO didn’t want to talk about or admit in his non-apology, but since he didn’t apologize for it, this story was just shared with 18,000 people. Great job to all the corporate yes-people who are currently advising TSG/bc.com!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcountybackcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcountybackcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcountybackcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcountybackcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty backcounty
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

You spelled it wrong

Is the trade name "Stoic" held by anyone. If not, I'm claiming dibs! I'll be coming out with a line of outerwear soon!

I see Stoic "compression" gear...but I'm not worried...until I make my compression ski socks...but I'm sure we can work something out.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    You spelled it wrong

Hilarious

You spelled it wrong

But: he avoided infringement concerns.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Is the trade name "Stoic" held by anyone. If not, I'm claiming dibs! I'll be coming out with a line of outerwear soon!
    ".
    Zeno of Citium.

You spelled it wrong

We don't use "R's" in New England.