Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

What are the manufacturing costs of common ski apparel?

A seamstress I met the other day suggested that she could manufacture most of the current ski jacket designs (give her the pattern, material, seam tape, etc.) and she could do a good job in less than 45 minutes. My jaw dropped. I confirmed with her, a very experienced seamstress, and she said, "45 minutes at the most. Maybe even faster if I had a few to make at a time".

Going back many years, our class did a project to find out the cost of Nike shoe manufacturing. I just checked and it seems the data is still valid today. Nike's average landed cost --shipped and brought into US warehousing-- is about $25 per shoe.

And Jeans, for example, take about 15 minutes to sew together in a factory. With materials for jeans being dirt cheap, I have read that a pair of jeans can be between $5 to $12 to manufacture (labor, materials, and all other costs combined).

Given this limited knowledge, who here knows the scoop on the winter sports apparel industry?

How much does it cost to make ski pants, jackets, etc.? Landed cost?

Please take this shit to tech talk

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Please take this shit to tech talk

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk
    Agreed, and I'll answer your question there seriously, as will Micol, who has been to more houses with seam taping seminars and years and years of trying to put out a quality product. With people stitching in the state of Colorado. These women are talented, but that woman you speak of has no clue, besides her hands. She would make you one, right? Just a pattern, right? I can smell the rant now. This shit goes deep.

Get her to knit you something, or tell her to take a ride and shove something down her throat.

It's way harder than even your neighborhood wookie milf thinks.

This shit pisses me off. The whole made in 'Merica. Like there is a fucking entire tooled up factory to spec with QA/QC. I would laugh in her face. I'd give her 10 years to make a quality product, even a one off.

I really don't think people understand Micol's commitment to what he puts out. The years and years of teaching sewing, pattern making, seam taping, getting local people in the equipment, producing the product as designed, by hand, every time. Years. He has bought every single person their machines. All of them. And made sure that they knew how to use them, and make them money and him. Real jobs, real income, real purpose. Fully a part of an anonymous team of doing really good work. Look at your shit, it wasn't some random with a needle, his shit is top of the line. He just creates a different line. It is better.

That is why he is a success. I've watched it come up, I was at his first studio surrounded by jackets from others, hims on the floor, struggling to get it right.

But then, to bring that on the road, to keep it with the non-factory sewers, to visit them and teach them, to make those relationships, know them, their families.

That is something anyone should stand beside. And I don't even have a FRS or Folsus jacket. I just have a bunch of belts. And I know someone who defines made in M'erca. And it hasn't been a pretty voyage.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    And I know someone who defines made in M'erca. And it hasn't been a pretty voyage.
    can i get a jacket with the american flag and a Monster Truck steered by a bald eagle with AR 15s in the claws shooting lynyrd skynyrd lyrics?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

That would be AWESOME!
    watch out for snakes

Anyone claiming they can make a decent-by-TGR-standards jacket in 45 minutes really has no fucking clue, is my guess.

It’d take 45 mins just to install the powder skirt.

Not to mention depriving Vietnamese and Bangladesh school children of much needed work

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    It’d take 45 mins just to install the powder skirt.
    And weeks to take delivery of it on the secondary market.

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    And weeks to take delivery of it on the secondary market.
    And then not use it.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Agreed, and I'll answer your question there seriously, as will Micol, who has been to more houses with seam taping seminars and years and years of trying to put out a quality product. With people stitching in the state of Colorado. These women are talented, but that woman you speak of has no clue, besides her hands. She would make you one, right? Just a pattern, right? I can smell the rant now. This shit goes deep.

Get her to knit you something, or tell her to take a ride and shove something down her throat.

It's way harder than even your neighborhood wookie milf thinks. ...
    Um. Nope. Sorry. Play again.

She knows GoreTex and seam tape and has made more alterations to various ski gear than you know. She works for a business that does all sorts of ware, all clothing for film industry, for the police, for local sports junkies, for Freestyle and Mogul and all sorts of athletes.

Not your average milf. She'd laugh at your penis size.

Play again. She knows what she is talking about and has as much industry experience as you have probably lived (or maybe 1/2 your lifespan).

Attacking my source doesn't answer the question or bring us closer to the truth.

She probably grew up with Gert Boyle. Maybe she Home Schooled Gert Boyle's children.

Just sayin'.

I'm not going to 'out' who said what. But I assure you, this WOOKIE MILF could make Princess Leia's outfit for StarWars, and make it with laminated membrane material, make it waterproof and comfortable and attach a POWDER SKIRT before you had time to pronounce her name or bring her another coffee.

Also, who is Micol???

It's way harder than even your neighborhood wookie milf thinks.

This shit pisses me off. The whole made in 'Merica. Like there is a fucking entire tooled up factory to spec with QA/QC. I would laugh in her face. I'd give her 10 years to make a quality product, even a one off.

I really don't think people understand Micol's commitment to what he puts out. The years and years of teaching sewing, pattern making, seam taping, getting local people in the equipment, producing the product as designed, by hand, every time. Years. He has bought every single person their machines. All of them. And made sure that they knew how to use them, and make them money and him. Real jobs, real income, real purpose. Fully a part of an anonymous team of doing really good work. Look at your shit, it wasn't some random with a needle, his shit is top of the line. He just creates a different line. It is better.

That is why he is a success. I've watched it come up, I was at his first studio surrounded by jackets from others, hims on the floor, struggling to get it right.

But then, to bring that on the road, to keep it with the non-factory sewers, to visit them and teach them, to make those relationships, know them, their families.

That is something anyone should stand beside. And I don't even have a FRS or Folsus jacket. I just have a bunch of belts. And I know someone who defines made in M'erca. And it hasn't been a pretty voyage.
    Is there some backstory here? I don't see the OP calling out MiCol and this post seems a tad bit aggressive.

Besides, it costs more to market the damn things than anything else.
    Live Free or Die

And here we go.

Can SPLAT supply them with some FKNA stickers to attach?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s72MDTI.png 
Views:	170 
Size:	379.0 KB 
ID:	300502

Go with confidence well beyond the bounds of normal in the mountain hardwear cloud seeker jacket with construction built for the most extreme conditions, you'll have no problem relying on this shell to charge bigger and burlier lines than before, it begins with lightweight and stretchy AirPerm ripstop fabric that allows air to permeate for maximum comfort in your core temperatures, but with 3 layers backing it up to ensure no water penetrates within for adventures beyond your skis, the jacket features two large harness and pack compatible pockets, so you can access your essentials when you're rappelling down an un-skiable face of rock
    High neck line covers you up to your chin, so nothing but your goggles will peek out, enabling total warmth when conditions are beyond gnarly
    Burly shell that can withstand winter's worst
    AirPerm offers stretchy, seam sealed waterproofing
    3-layer construction keeps out wind and rain
    Lightweight and packable for coverage in any situation
    Harness and pack compatible pockets work for rappelling
    Adjustable hood seals out ice and wind
    Huge storage pockets offer room for all essentials
    Flow-through upper arm vents allow heat to escape

Shell: 100% nylon
    Membrane: TPU membrane
    Hood: Fully adjustable
    Powder skirt: Removable
    Pockets: 2 harness compatible with inner mesh pockets, 1 zippered chest, 1 internal drop, 1 internal media
    Recommended use: Skiing, snowboarding
    Logo: Can be customized with your own logo
    Color: All colors can be customized
    Primary Competitive Advantages:
    Origin
    Experienced Staff
    Green Product Guarantee/Warranty
    International Approvals
    Packaging
    Price
    Product Features
    Product Performance
    Prompt Delivery
    Quality Approvals

Contact Us Today
    Also, we have passed the BSCI and ISO 9001:2008 certificate. Our products are ski wear, hardshell jackets, down jackets, lightweight jackets, cycling jackets and more. At present, our products are exported to many developed countries and regions, including the US, the UK, Germany, Switzerland, Spain, France, Norway, Sweden and other countries. We have cooperated with these countries high-end international brand for many years, established high technological level quality control system, and have accumulated rich experience in product development, production and export. Contact us today to begin sourcing.
    And that's price for you, not even being part of the entire supply chain like the companies with a lot of girth.
    Add supply chain ownership, with a fixed design, with much bigger quantities, and what is the landed cost?

PS - comes with removable Powder Skirt for those that like more vertical air throughflow and less entanglement.
    Last edited by puregravity; 11-01-2019 at 01:33 PM. Reason: to re post picture

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    can i get a jacket with the american flag and a Monster Truck steered by a bald eagle with AR 15s in the claws shooting lynyrd skynyrd lyrics?
    yes. Fully customizable. Small orders OK. See above. Can visit today at trade show if you're in the area. Booth 5F24.

MiCol is a mag who runs FreeRide Systems Outerwear aka Fulsa. His company makes garments in Colorado. He knows a lot about making them and can probably tell you the actual costs, rates of warranty, sew times, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    yes. Fully customizable. Small orders OK. See above. Can visit today at trade show if you're in the area. Booth 5F24.
    Does it come in black and xxxl?

Sent from my BLA-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Also, who is Micol???
    JFC ... go away.

What are the manufacturing costs of common ski apparel?

I worked for a very large ski clothing manufacturer more than a decade ago (so take this with a huge grain of salt). If I remember right factories were paid anywhere between 1/10th and 1/5 the final retail price to produce garments.

Also, who is Micol???
    WTF?

Have you been under a rock?

Also, tech talk.

I don't think the person sewing a jacket makes a whole garment, they sew/cut a part of it and it goes to the next station
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The op must be a younger person with very limited knowledge of manufacturing or simple business practices.
    Cost of goods in most manufacturing is a very small part of the final price and your "experience" seamstress might be able to knock out just the sewing in 45 minutes but actual technical finishing like seam taping and multiple step zipper installation requires specializes equipment and experience or you'll have a Walmart jacket/pants where shit will blow out in a week and leaks like a sieve. Obviously it doesn't cost $300 to manufacture a $500 coat but the capital expenditure requires to tool up makes it pretty difficult to get in the game or even perform some of the tasks required to see a high quality garment. Cost to produce vs market price is not much different for ski gear when compared to other seasonal products.

used to be that a ww kayak was made with < 10$ worth of plastic so the average paddler would look at that and couldn't figure out why it cost him 1000 $ ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    The op must be a younger person with very limited knowledge of manufacturing or simple business practices.
    Cost of goods in most manufacturing is a very small part of the final price and your "experience" seamstress might be able to knock out just the sewing in 45 minutes but actual technical finishing like seam taping and multiple step zipper installation requires specializes equipment and experience or you'll have a Walmart jacket/pants where shit will blow out in a week and leaks like a sieve. Obviously it doesn't cost $300 to manufacture a $500 coat but the capital expenditure requires to tool up makes it pretty difficult to get in the game or even perform some of the tasks required to see a high quality garment. Cost to produce vs market price is not much different for ski gear when compared to other seasonal products.
    https://yjlapparel.manufacturer.glob...die-jacket.htm

So you are saying that the ski jacket sellers (The Brand) make capital expenditures to equip Chinese factories that bid/compete on various jobs?

"Obviously it doesn't cost $300 to manufacture a $500 coat"

Obviously. So how much does it cost? What are your best estimates using off-the-shelf apparel that is of comparable quality?

See the post I made further up from Xiamen Yingjieli Garments Co. Ltd. So that's $50 basically. In fact, even the insulated and other styles are also in the $50 range. Some offer 20% to 30% discounts if you buy 2,000.

https://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I...htm#1146663333
    $16.88 to $26.88

https://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I...816#1079955816
    $18.90 to $26.90

https://yjlapparel.manufacturer.glob...die-jacket.htm
    $52 to $58

Those aren't even the prices that major ski apparel companies pay. That's for the types of small orders that you and I pay.

Look at Anta sports for example. They own a ton of the ski apparel brands. They own a large chunk (majority) of Amer, and they in turn own Arcteryx and a bunch of others. Anta has been accused of lying about costs in the supply chain (they own the entire supply chain to manufacturing). They deny it. Blah blah.

But their share price is sky rocketing lately. These conglomerates and sports equipment/apparel parent companies are getting insane valuations on the stock markets. How are they achieving such insane valuations?

So, what I am asking is what the price really is. Not what you think it is. Anta surely has HUGE advantages to even those Chinese mom-n-pop stores (the ones I linked) that also offer lots of selection at unbelievably low prices. A few of those zippers look fine.

I'm not judging.

Stuff is bought, sold and worth what it is worth for a variety of reasons. Nike has to pay Michael Jordan.
    All I'm asking is ...

Me poking around on Global Sources isn't going to answer that. But someone knows something and maybe they can chime in without the need to defend the industry or be defensive about it.

So you walk into a ski shop and the Gore shell jacket is $699. How much does it cost to make? Those ski pants are $199 to $899. How much does it cost to make?

Someone here knows something. Please share.