Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 124
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    4,667
    $37.
    PE, Mechanical Engineering
    University of Bridger Bowl Alumnus
    Alpental Creeper

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,693
    It seems like there are a bunch of companies that are just taking off the shelf, Asian made generic clothing and selling them for relatively cheap. That's basically what douchebag Lesh is doing with Virtika, right?

    As best I can tell, that gear is ok. But definitely not on par with the more expensive stuff.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    closer
    Posts
    2,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    $37.
    Are you absolutely sure?

    Sent from my BLA-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    30,089
    Also dude seamstress is not the preferred nomenclature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bozeman
    Posts
    701
    OP this isn't that hard. A jacket selling for $700 in a mom and pop store probably cost that store half(ish) that when they bought it from the manufacturer. The manufacturer is probably (at worst) operating on roughly the same principles. So the cost to SELL that $700 jacket was maybe $175(ish). In that $175 you've got the marketing, insurance, overhead, staff, the cost of the product itself, and whatever else it takes to run an outwear company. Oh my god I can't believe I'm typing this does it really matter if the jacket cost $68 or $112? No. Because the cost to MAKE something is just one part of the cost to SELL something.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    A seamstress I met the other day suggested that she could manufacture most of the current ski jacket designs (give her the pattern, material, seam tape, etc.) and she could do a good job in less than 45 minutes.

    Given this limited knowledge, who here knows the scoop on the winter sports apparel industry?

    How much does it cost to make ski pants, jackets, etc.? Landed cost?
    The real question is, how windy was it the night before your conversation with the seamstress MILF?

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    30,089
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    OP this isn't that hard. A jacket selling for $700 in a mom and pop store probably cost that store half(ish) that when they bought it from the manufacturer. The manufacturer is probably (at worst) operating on roughly the same principles. So the cost to SELL that $700 jacket was maybe $175(ish). In that $175 you've got the marketing, insurance, overhead, staff, the cost of the product itself, and whatever else it takes to run an outwear company. Oh my god I can't believe I'm typing this does it really matter if the jacket cost $68 or $112? No. Because the cost to MAKE something is just one part of the cost to SELL something.
    Same thing with vacuums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bozeman
    Posts
    701
    But what does a vacuum REALLY cost? My friend said she could make one in 72 hours if you gave her all the parts, instructions, and tools.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South of 49
    Posts
    844
    Here is something I stumbled across:

    Why Your Gear Is So Expensive: And why we, as consumers, actually like it when companies like Nike hike their prices

    There’s some fun psychology at play here, where the consumer attributes a higher price tag to a higher quality of product. Psychologist Robert Cialdini writes in his book Influence at Work about how people will use price as the determining factor when trying to judge the quality of a product. So if you’re looking for the best rain jacket on the market, and you’re comparing two jackets with similar technology, you’ll pick the more expensive jacket. It’s a common phenomenon that Powell sees play out over and over. “There’s a bias among consumers that higher-priced items are of higher quality, and right now, those premium products are absolutely driving the sports market. Consumers believe the more-expensive products are better.”
    re: kathleenturneroverdrive

    Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    OP this isn't that hard. A jacket selling for $700 in a mom and pop store probably cost that store half(ish) that when they bought it from the manufacturer. The manufacturer is probably (at worst) operating on roughly the same principles. So the cost to SELL that $700 jacket was maybe $175(ish). In that $175 you've got the marketing, insurance, overhead, staff, the cost of the product itself, and whatever else it takes to run an outwear company. Oh my god I can't believe I'm typing this does it really matter if the jacket cost $68 or $112? No. Because the cost to MAKE something is just one part of the cost to SELL something.
    That's what my wife says about lift tickets. Does it really matter if it cost less than $65 to ski at some resorts 10 years ago and it is now $200 per day with tax? Does it really matter? After all "You Ski What You Pay For". So we must be getting a much better ski experience now that prices are more than 3 times what they were.

    Apart from that, you have applied a standard clothing formula to all price points in the ski apparel industry. Is the same formula used for $100 jackets that is used for $799 jackets? Back to the Outside online article ...

    Outside magazine must have gone real Kid Gloves on the industry. Wouldn't want to bit the hand that feeds you!

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    $37.
    Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Are you absolutely sure?

    Sent from my BLA-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app
    let me check the spare to confirm.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    18,233
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Also dude seamstress is not the preferred nomenclature.
    Chink with a sewing machine ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    voting in seattle
    Posts
    4,115
    $700 Goretex Jacket
    Retailer bought for 45% MAP : $315
    Brand makes 20% profit: $250 total cost to produce
    Factory Paid $70 to produce and ship to distribution center: $180 to cover:
    Goretex fees, R&D, Design Team, Marketing, Accounting, Sales, HR, Lease and Utilities, taxes and management.

    This assumes the company doesn’t have any of their own capital involved in production. Which then assumes the $70 includes all that plus the sales, production, engineering, management, accounting, taxes, material costs, training, and goretex licensing.

    45 minutes a jacket is slow as fuck.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Alpental
    Posts
    5,403
    because ski gear is not made...in a vacuum.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South of 49
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    But what does a vacuum REALLY cost? My friend said she could make one in 72 hours if you gave her all the parts, instructions, and tools.
    Please. Don't let IKEA hear what you just said.



    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    $700 Goretex Jacket
    Retailer bought for 45% MAP : $315
    Brand makes 20% profit: $250 total cost to produce
    Factory Paid $70 to produce and ship to distribution center: $180 to cover:
    Goretex fees, R&D, Design Team, Marketing, Accounting, Sales, HR, Lease and Utilities, taxes and management.

    This assumes the company doesn’t have any of their own capital involved in production. Which then assumes the $70 includes all that plus the sales, production, engineering, management, accounting, taxes, material costs, training, and goretex licensing.

    45 minutes a jacket is slow as fuck.
    Is that formula linear across the price landscape? Does it apply as much to $100 jackets as $899 jackets?

    In search of higher margins, Canada Goose to make more of its own luxury coats

    "Canada Goose, which has all of its coats made in Canada and sells them for between $725 and $1,695. The company posted December quarter operating margins of 60 per cent on online and own-store sales versus 43 per cent from wholesale, causing investors to cheer the growth in its direct-to-consumer business."

    Operating margins of 60 per cent on online and own-store sales versus 43 per cent from fucking wholesale.

    I digress ....

    I find the focus on OWN-STORE sales fascinating. In a boom market, that is clearly a way to boost sales. However it exposes the company to many more operational details and when a true competitor emerges, they will have to potentially close stores and lay off staff. The fact that many brands are operating OWN-STORES is a sign that the market is at a peak frenzy. It is usually a much better game to get store penetration in a variety of stores than to run one's own retail business.


    I agree that 45 minutes is slow. No bowl of rice for her until she stops being lazy.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bozeman
    Posts
    701
    Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Apart from that, you have applied a standard clothing formula to all price points in the ski apparel industry. Is the same formula used for $100 jackets that is used for $799 jackets? Back to the Outside online article ...
    I gave you a standard formula because there is no universal formula for this stuff. Different stores even pay different prices for the exact same pieces of gear. Just average that shit out and get on with your point my man.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,693
    Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post

    Is that formula linear across the price landscape? Does it apply as much to $100 jackets as $899 jackets?
    Why wouldn't it? $100 jacket just has cheaper materials and and build cost (no taped seams, no waterproof zippers, etc.), doesn't have any R&D or engineering to speak of, doesn't have Gore-Tex fees, minimal marketing, etc.

    So maybe the $100 jacket costs $25 for the factory to produce. Which, at 45% MAP, leaves $40 to cover design, Marketing, Accounting, Sales, HR, Lease and Utilities, taxes and management. And while that $40 isn't much to cover all of that, the company can sell a lot more $100 jackets than they can $900 jackets.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South of 49
    Posts
    844
    Seattle sells more than good fish.

    YKK® #5 Coil Water Resistant Zipper Tape By The Yard
    https://www.seattlefabrics.com/YKKre...ard_p_457.html
    Sold in .25, .5, .75 Yd. Increments, .5 Yd. Min.
    $4.99/Yd

    The zipper sliders costs an additonal $1 to $1.50 each.


    Now over to China.

    Name:  8vv0bxc.png
Views: 131
Size:  305.9 KB

    Alibaba ...
    nylon taslan gore tex fabric with breathable coating
    US $2.5-4 / Meter
    1000 Meters (Min. Order)

    They are clearly promoting the cross-cultural sports dating scene.
    Nice.

    Comes in CAMO for a good price too.
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...811712800.html
    Last edited by puregravity; 11-01-2019 at 02:34 PM. Reason: to re-post picture

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    5,100
    Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Seattle sells more than good fish.

    YKK #5 Coil Water Resistant Zipper Tape By The Yard
    https://www.seattlefabrics.com/YKKre...ard_p_457.html
    Sold in .25, .5, .75 Yd. Increments, .5 Yd. Min.
    $4.99/Yd

    The zipper sliders costs an additonal $1 to $1.50 each.
    You do software right? Shouldn't it be free for every customer after the first one? After all, the work is all done, just gotta ctrl-c ctrl-v and you're done. It can't cost more than a few bucks

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    30,089
    Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Seattle sells more than good fish.

    YKK® #5 Coil Water Resistant Zipper Tape By The Yard
    https://www.seattlefabrics.com/YKKre...ard_p_457.html
    Sold in .25, .5, .75 Yd. Increments, .5 Yd. Min.
    $4.99/Yd

    The zipper sliders costs an additonal $1 to $1.50 each.


    Now over to China.



    Alibaba ...
    nylon taslan gore tex fabric with breathable coating
    US $2.5-4 / Meter
    1000 Meters (Min. Order)

    They are clearly promoting the cross-cultural sports dating scene.
    Nice.

    Comes in CAMO for a good price too.
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...811712800.html
    I wonder how much those little zipper pulls that look like climbing nuts are?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South of 49
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    You do software right? Shouldn't it be free for every customer after the first one? After all, the work is all done, just gotta ctrl-c ctrl-v and you're done. It can't cost more than a few bucks
    Software in bioinformatics and EMS applications for Squirrel Defense technologies. I can't really talk about it.



    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Why wouldn't it? $100 jacket just has cheaper materials and and build cost (no taped seams, no waterproof zippers, etc.), doesn't have any R&D or engineering to speak of, doesn't have Gore-Tex fees, minimal marketing, etc.

    So maybe the $100 jacket costs $25 for the factory to produce. Which, at 45% MAP, leaves $40 to cover design, Marketing, Accounting, Sales, HR, Lease and Utilities, taxes and management. And while that $40 isn't much to cover all of that, the company can sell a lot more $100 jackets than they can $900 jackets.

    So you are saying that the labor and materials for a $200 are twice that of a $100 jacket. And by the same measure, it costs 8 times as much to make a $800 ski jacket as a $100 ski jacket. Right?

    REI sells very popular shell jackets for under $100. Do they have waterproof zippers tho? Good question.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,693
    Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    And by the same measure, it costs 8 times as much to make a $800 ski jacket as a $100 ski jacket. Right?
    No. It costs some amount more to sell an $800 jacket. The cost to manufacture is higher, but almost certainly not 8x higher. But the costs to sell an $800 jacket are pretty clearly higher than the $100 jacket. GoreTex licensing, R&D, engineering, marketing, etc. are all higher for the $800 jacket.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South of 49
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    No. It costs some amount more to sell an $800 jacket. The cost to manufacture is higher, but almost certainly not 8x higher. But the costs to sell an $800 jacket are pretty clearly higher than the $100 jacket. GoreTex licensing, R&D, engineering, marketing, etc. are all higher for the $800 jacket.
    For all you know it might cost less to sell an $800 jacket. By virtue of the price, it must be better!

    "The cost to manufacture is higher, but almost certainly not 8x higher. "

    OK - So certainly 2x higher, right? Or do you mean certainly 1.5 times higher? Or would you have the gall to suggest it might only be 1.25 times higher. After all, those YKK waterproof zippers are very very expensive (as shown previously).

    GoreTex licensing fees varies by end price?

    Would you invest in a company that was selling goods at double the price and double the cost? Probably not. Maybe if they found a way to charge twice as much at 10% extra costs. That is what gets investors attention.

    Got some reading to do. BRB.\
    Ark teary eyed. Is it the ultimate in overpriced hype?

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,693
    Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    For all you know it might cost less to sell an $800 jacket. By virtue of the price, it must be better!

    "The cost to manufacture is higher, but almost certainly not 8x higher. "

    OK - So certainly 2x higher, right? Or do you mean certainly 1.5 times higher? Or would you have the gall to suggest it might only be 1.25 times higher. After all, those YKK waterproof zippers are very very expensive (as shown previously).

    GoreTex licensing fees varies by end price?

    Would you invest in a company that was selling goods at double the price and double the cost? Probably not. Maybe if they found a way to charge twice as much at 10% extra costs. That is what gets investors attention.

    Got some reading to do. BRB.\
    Ark teary eyed. Is it the ultimate in overpriced hype?
    You argue like a trump supporter.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bozeman
    Posts
    701
    I think was just a bot trying to get us to buy bulk YKK zippers

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,693
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    I think was just a bot trying to get us to buy bulk YKK zippers
    Puregravity being a paid Russian troll would make a lot of sense.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •