Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I don't buy many, either, but when a $2 snack extends a powder day it's a better investment than my season pass. I've been known to pay resort prices for Gatorade on occasion for the same reason, so putting a tube of salted watermelon shotbloks in the pack (hopefully for at least a month) can be cost preventative. Also if they happen to get my bonky ass out of the woods before dark.

I like the taste of Stinger chews but I don't find them as helpful when approaching cramps, so dried fruit if it's just an energy thing.

Yeah, me too, nothing on 1-2 hour rides, sandwiches and bars beyond that, clif blok for rescue or really hard efforts/events.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Name:  IMG_4474.JPG
Views: 377
Size:  27.9 KB

I get my Cliff bars at Costco in the big box. Not so bad on price but the two or three kinds in the box they get a bit boring.

Peanut butter ones are my favorite.
    watch out for snakes

Often times a clif bar plus gummies is a meal replacement for me on a bigger adventure so at $2-3 dollars for lunch not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by snowday View Post
    Stopped spending all sorts of money on that stuff few years ago and now just take some fig newtons or a pb&j and all is good.
    Fig newtons are awesome and a much overlooked trail/ride snack!

We call dried apricots monkey ears.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

My favorites are Halloween-sized Paydays and Snickers, stroopwaffles bought in bulk, and dried Costco mango.

I don't really do branded energy foods unless they have caffeine, like certain Gu gels and Cliff Bars. From what I can tell, most "nutrition" bars deliver about the same nutrition has candy bars for 2-3x the price. The only exception is Kind Dark Chocolate/Peanut Butter, which is basically a candy bar.

I also use real food for longer tours.

Incidentally, I remember watching a Kilian Journet video in which he was attempting some obscene ski tour of ridiculous proportions. His sole food for the mega-day was four regular sized Snicker bars. I don't really have a point here, but if I did, it'd be something along the lines of different strokes for different folks.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    for longer 3-4hr+ rides, I like the 'paleo' bars at Costco.... seem to provide me a good mixed source of quick and slower burning energy. Price per bar isn't bad either. I don't suggest them as a fuel source during an actual endurance race tho.... eating spoonfuls of sand would be easier to swallow while throwing down race pace.

Back in the day we were stuck at in the desert with no water at interbike demo days, but you could try a free sample of every enregy drink made, they all got pretty sickly in short order, the least toxic brand seemed to be Cytomax but it all got pretty grim

Then a woman in a leopardskin bikini appeared unto us and we were given hotdogs, beer and cold water

An ultra running coach who was pretty good told me you gotta refuel without it making you sick and he swore by the Hammer products both the shots and the perpetuim in his bottles, he had it all down to a science
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Clif Bars for rides over 2.5 hours. Usually about $1 each at City Market - cheaper than a Snickers Bar.

Kate's Real Food

IMO Kate's Bars are the best - Tram bar, Handle bar, Tiki bar, Stash bar

I recently got turned onto Tailwind. It's a drink mix that's not sweet, salty, has electrolytes, and calories (okay, a bit of sugar but not much).

The concept works perfect for biking, and I bet it will work for long ski tours too. Essentially, drink a 20oz bottle every hour - apparently, that's as much liquid as your body can absorb anyway, and this will give you all the calories and electrolytes and replacement salts you need for sustained high-energy output.

Did I mention the caffeine? Yes, PEDs bitches.

No stomach aches (Gu jacks my gut up), easy to process, no chewing required. Plus, it tastes good and doesn't leave much taste residue. I thought this stuff was a gimmick until I tried it out...give it a whirl...

If I'm out all day, I prefer real food. Sandwich plus fruit and salty snacks (peanuts, etc.). I do carry an "oh shit" bar, but I only eat them if "oh shit" happens.

Also...gummies. Duh.
    sproing!

Nice, I will check those out. THX
    watch out for snakes

While the Cliff Gu shots are gross to ingest (cake frosting-quality) they work incredibly well to bring you back from the point of no return from bonking and you can't beat the size for race day carrying.

Otherwise I'm all in for pb&j, candy bars and a Nuun tab in my water bottle.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

I put too much drink mix in my water bottle yesterday and thought i was going to throw up after some hard efforts in spin class. And by drink mix I mean $0.80 big bottles of powerade from walmart. On bike rides i usually go one bottle that's about 50-50 or a little more and another straight water.

Oh shit I just admitted I went to spin class.

Tailwind is the best for sure. Liquid is a little easier than gel or bars and the salt flavor keeps me sipping which I forget to do otherwise. After a few good days with that stuff I've started adding "lite" salt to my drinks when I'm mixing them myself.

Coke a Cola, Snickers, Sardines.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Sardines are perfect in theory but in practice the empty cans are a messy, stinky pain in the ass.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Yep. Ziploc.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Sardines are perfect in theory but in practice the empty cans are a messy, stinky pain in the ass.
    There is no way my heart rate is going above 90 after eating sardines without a few "fish outta the water"