Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

So what is your favorite energy shot/bar/gummy

Thinking about ski season but something that works for biking would be fine also. Have used Cliff bars mainly for a long time but seems there should be something better out there. I have used 5 hour energy shots but I really have to mix it with water to make it palatable. Some of my bike friends use the gummy drops and I kind of like those.

Looking for a tasty and economical alternative.

What you got?
    watch out for snakes

Name:  IMG_4449.JPG
Views: 665
Size:  85.7 KB

I like the way Peruvian rolls. On the other end of the spectrum, I usually just go with whatever granola bars or gummies my kids eat. They're cheaper than the sport marketing ones and taste better too.

Honey Stinger chews: Cherry Blossom or Fruit Smoothie are great, I think Pomegranate has a little caffeine

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

it's just hard to beat the convenient packaging of clif shotbloks if you're trying to slam some quick energy while skinning or skiing or riding a chairlift with gloves on. rip it open with your mouth, the package stays one piece and doesn't litter, you squeeze one or two or three gummies right out into your mouth, and the remaining gummies stay secured in the tube. they're not a terrible price if you find a 24 pack or something cheap on amazon and use em up slowly and don't mind lack of variety.

no clue if they really provide much more of a quick digesting sugar boost than pretzel nuggets the 12 flavor gummy bears you can get for 2.99/pound at the grocery bulk section, but they get the job done and the flavor is acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Honey Stinger chews: Cherry Blossom or Fruit Smoothie are great, I think Pomegranate has a little caffeine

[end thread]

x2 for clif shotbloks

Quote Originally Posted by LesterSmoove View Post
    it's just hard to beat the convenient packaging of clif shotbloks if you're trying to slam some quick energy while skinning or skiing or riding a chairlift with gloves on. rip it open with your mouth, the package stays one piece and doesn't litter, you squeeze one or two or three gummies right out into your mouth, and the remaining gummies stay secured in the tube. they're not a terrible price if you find a 24 pack or something cheap on amazon and use em up slowly and don't mind lack of variety.

no clue if they really provide much more of a quick digesting sugar boost than pretzel nuggets the 12 flavor gummy bears you can get for 2.99/pound at the grocery bulk section, but they get the job done and the flavor is acceptable.
    Clif ShotBloks x2...

-orange
    -strawberry

Warm temp mtb rides - frozen peach slices for the win

Chocolate covered espresso beans otherwise

RX. Bars -. Blueberry. They get hard in the cold is the only negative

Lara Bars, tasty and filling.

Peanut butter bacon toast sandwiches
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

-peanut butter banana flavor clif bars
    -apple pie lara bars (lemon bar also p good)
    -salted watermelon shot blocks (margarita 2nd choice, strawberry 3rd. Haven't tried some of the new ones like ginger ale)
    pro-tip: cut shot block sleeves in half ahead of time so you have two pre-opened 3 packs.
    -haribo gummy bears, sour gummy bears, starmix, or cola bottles
    -pb sandwich for the longer days
    at races sometimes i use gels, generally strawberry or mocha clif

Mint chocolate chip Lara bars. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Peanut butter bacon toast sandwiches
    One of my local grocery stores sells cooked bacon in wax paper wrapped packages of 5 or 6 strips in their hot food bar. Huge fan of those for extremely convenient mid-ride bacon.

Wana 10mg sativa....

Thanks all! Some good suggestions.

That peanut butter bacon sammy sounds addictive.

Gonna get some of the Cliff shots and give those a try.

Keep'em coming.
    watch out for snakes

Shot bloks are great, as are chocolate covered espresso beans, but for the best combo of economical/tasty/energy-dense, fun-sized snickers are tough to beat, IMO. You can even get them for free tomorrow night if you walk around door to door, provided you are of small stature and appropriately attired.

I don’t like relying on food (sugar) to operate, so typically nothing if it’s under two hours. Beyond that, it’s good to get some protein so I like the Kirkland Nut Bars and/or the beef Chomps sticks from TJs.

When I do eat gels, I like the shot blox cause you can stick them to the top tube for easy access.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Sardines.

Seriously, I'm a junky.

Fig bars or pbj.

I’m a clif products guy. They sponsored us years ago and I fell in love then. Still think they are the best.

Meanwhile we call dried apricots “nature’s clif block.” Essentially the same thing. Nice for a change.

I really like honey stinger products. I’ll eat the gummies or waffles on a 2+ hour ride. Honey stinger products are all sweetened with honey and taste pretty dang good.

If I’m short on time in the morning or don’t have time for a meal, I eat a protein bar from probar. They also make bite bats that might be more along your lines. Plant based protein and pretty tasty flavors.

I avoid energy blocks / gels with caffeine as it has a weird aftertaste (they use concentrated tea extract usually) and "sets off" my stomach.

For gummies, also Clif margarita flavor. For gels, I kind of prefer Hammer, but they're kind of a pain in the ass to find at a reasonable price, so I usually get Clif. I do like how Clif has the litter leash. I prefer non-caffeinated ones like raspberry & chocolate.

My favorite bars were the ProBar Bites but they discontinued them. Whatever they replaced them with is more of a snack bar that uses fake sugar. Their meal bars are good and pretty filling, but take some effort to finish. My other favorite are Kind protein & nut bars, preferably the salted dark chocolate.

Honey Stingers are the best (to me), but they start adding up to dentist-level costs if you start going nuts on them like I used to.

This is much much much cheaper, tastes great. Sugar goes into my head quickly (which was clutch when I was recovering from a serious concussion and would randomly start bonking in the middle of the day). The main issue/downside is more plastic waste than I’d really like. But I think these are so much better than what I can get in the bulk food section of my local co op.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell