‘Budget’ 29er: Stumpjumper ST or Diamondback Release 29 2 ?

For a $2k budget, which is the better bike?

Big dude, mellow XC trails, just want something to ride and not break the bank.

Thanks

For $2k, you might end up with a better bike if you go used.

I agree with Toast.

When I was test riding I liked the Giants in that price range (I believe it was the Trance). I ended up spending a touch more and ended up with a used demo Transition.

If you're only trying to spend 2k I wouldn't go new on a big name brand. You're just paying for a name rather than quality parts.

I see your location says Durango, I'm going to shill for my friend here, but Velorution Cycles has a bunch of Salsa and Norco demos and brand new bikes on sale for around your budget.

Thanks for the replies, but shopping for a used XL in my price range in my location is challenging. I’ve really narrowed it down to these 2 new options as my best options if I wanna get something to ride the rest of this fall.

In that case, while the DB is not super updated, there is no excuse for buying from SpecialEd.

If you're comparing the Release 29 2 to the most basic Stumpjumper ST, the Release is a much better build - it has a dropper and nicer suspension. If you're comparing to the 'Comp' ST, the builds are basically the same, without overanalyzing. The geometry on the Stumpy is a little more modern, but the release isn't totally outdated, just a bit conservative. I have a Diamondback fatbike and was happy with the purchase process and how the bike arrived and how it has held up. Only issue so far has been a trashed bottom bracket and Diamondback worked with FSA to get me a new one. With that said, if you like your shop and want that local support, the Stumpy seems pretty good.

Go to that Norco dealer mentioned above and take a good look at the Fluid FS, it starts under $2k with a reasonable build but more importantly it's a super fun ride.

Budget stretchable any? And does smmokan have any demo bikes for sale in your size?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.