Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    To fill mine I pull the valve core out of my presta stem, stick the air nozzle on the end of the stem and blast away. Once I've heard the bead set I put the valve core back in as air is rushing out then adjust the pressure with my floor pump. Easy peasy. Just like they do it at car tire shops. There is less restriction with the core removed so it fills fast.
    This. I set up dozens and dozens of tires every year, and this works every single time. If I'm just doing one-off tires, then I'll try seating the tire with a standard floor pump, which works about 80%. But an air compressor makes it way easier if I have to do several at a time.

I just did a set of Maxis Minion DHR & DHF double downs. Fucking super tight to get on the rim. I tried using my old tape (2 years old had been running with tubes for over a year because of ripped out sidewalls) forgot put sealant in the first one and it wouldn't seal. Tape looked fuct so I changed it. Decided to try without sealant, no problems sealing. Second tire sealed up with the old tape which was fortunate because I didn't have any more. I pumped the second one with a hand pump because I didn't feel like walking up to the garage, it went easy with a little squeeze of the tire to the rim at the right spot. No sealant no problem so far, will be riding this aft.

On another note, cats fucking suck. Last night I was about to do the tires but got sidetracked. I left everything in a pile in the middle of the rec room floor. This morning everything small was scattered (Tire levers, valve stems, patch kit, sealant syringe...). One valve is gone forever or until I move everything in the room. Fortunately I had a used one in my pack.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    This. I set up dozens and dozens of tires every year, and this works every single time. If I'm just doing one-off tires, then I'll try seating the tire with a standard floor pump, which works about 80%. But an air compressor makes it way easier if I have to do several at a time.
    What do you use out on the road? Can't imagine you're lugging around a compressor with generator, but then again lots of bikes and tires....
    However many are in a shit ton.

Anybody try one of these?

The Ryobi won’t push enough air to mount tubeless. But, I use one instead of a floor pump as they’re quick and easy to reset your pressures before a ride. Silca presto chuck lives with it. FYI they’re $25 at Home Depot

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

You definitely need something with a tank to mount tubeless. Anything that's just pumping directly doesn't flow fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by YaBoyBlue View Post
    The Ryobi won’t push enough air to mount tubeless. But, I use one instead of a floor pump as they’re quick and easy to reset your pressures before a ride. Silca presto chuck lives with it. FYI they’re $25 at Home Depot

I may have to add one to the kit. looks smaller than my floor pump that typically goes to the trailhead.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I may have to add one to the kit. looks smaller than my floor pump that typically goes to the trailhead.
    yep that thing is just an electric floor pump.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I bought a JoeBlow Booster last year. It seated the first couple of tires fine so I kept it. It hasn't successfully seated a single tire since in dozens of attempts. Bought that 3-gal HF pancake compressor and it's great. Just looking at the JoeBlow makes me angry. YMMV.

try the rope
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I bought a JoeBlow Booster last year. It seated the first couple of tires fine so I kept it. It hasn't successfully seated a single tire since in dozens of attempts. Bought that 3-gal HF pancake compressor and it's great. Just looking at the JoeBlow makes me angry. YMMV.
    Congrats on recovering enough to get screen time back. What tires are you (not) mounting? I have a compressor in case, but the last two (DHF and the dreaded Wild Enduro) went on fine with just the floor pump cause I was too lazy to walk back into the garage.

Seems like Joe should at least mount the easy ones?

Worked before: Non-WT DHFs on can't-remember-the-model 26" DT Swiss rims, Hans Dampfs on DB Blanchard rims.

Hasn't worked: WT DHF/DHR on E13 TRS 30 rims, 24" DHFs on Sunringle Duroc 30 rims.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 11-05-2019 at 04:55 PM.

I have to do this like once or twice a year at most. I just buy a 20 or 25g CO2 cartridge and it does the trick. Almost always have one around too in my toolbox and with my riding stuff in case for some reason I have to re-seat a tire.

Assegai 29 x 2.5 recently was successful, as was a Michelin wild 29 x 2.4.

Not the most environmentally friendly solution but neither is manufacturing cheap air compressors

Also have a really small garage that is already full of shit and wouldn't want to add more equipment...but always wanted a compressor.

Does no one else do this??

Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post
    I have to do this like once or twice a year at most. I just buy a 20 or 25g CO2 cartridge and it does the trick. Almost always have one around too in my toolbox and with my riding stuff in case for some reason I have to re-seat a tire.

Does no one else do this??
    I used to before getting an Airshot... You need to use a bigger cartridge because sometimes the small ones don’t have enough juice. Also, the cold co2 can have a detrimental affect on the sealant.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I was crediting sticky rubber on the beads, but wide Syntace rims might be helping my efforts, too. The last tire I put a little water on the beads, left the beads mostly in the center groove (just to see what would happen) and started pumping kinda quickly with the floor pump. It made about 6 pops and wound up seated perfectly at maybe 35 psi. It was obviously a half-decent seal before it started popping into place, which is why I think the rubber helped. The sides on this groove present a pretty shallow slope, too, though, so the pops were small. Felt like cheating. They all need to figure this out.

Why aren't we just carrying a little canister that we refill with a pump/compressor by now? Maybe a liter at 100-200 psi?