Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    yeah but same idea as keeping something old running excpet the old and shitty engineering was a double whammy

now if a vehical is old but good engineering / LOW milage that would be different because the vehical is not all used up

GF got her moms 88 toyota Corrolla which was fucking old BUT low milage cuz her mother didn't drive it due to illness,

that was a trouble free car, when she put haks on it they were worht > the car on paper
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yeah but same idea as keeping something old running excpet the old and shitty engineering was a double whammy

now if a vehical is old but good engineering / LOW milage that would be different because the vehical is not all used up

GF got her moms 88 toyota Corrolla which was fucking old BUT low milage cuz her mother didn't drive it due to illness,

that was a trouble free car, when she put haks on it they were worht > the car on paper
    That's what I was thinking. If I were to get a newer pickup it'd be $15k+. But if I found an old pickup that some retired mechanic owned for 20 years and hardly drove. Lets say it had 90k miles and was babied all its life. I bet it would have a lot of life left and even with mechanical costs, it wouldn't catch up to the $15k cost of a newer pickup. But at the of the day probably best to be honest and I'd be buying it for the nostalgia.

And if I'm driving like a grandpa and not towing, why do I need to pay for fancy engineering? I just need to get from point A to point B. All these electronics just seem impossible to work on.

yeah thats it ^^ a PU that belonged to a retired mechanic,

and while yer at it he should have a daughter with large breasts

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yeah thats it ^^ a PU that belonged to a retired mechanic,

and while yer at it he should have a daughter with large breasts
    Who is a mute and owns a liquor store?

yeah you want a trophy ^^ eh

in Barcelona the Danish/spanish bartender told me his GF said "why don't you come back to Barcelona with me and work in my father's craft brew pub ? "

to which I replied "Trophy GF " which he didnt quite understand at first due to the language thing

If you aspire to learn about trucks (which will be valuable for the rest of your life if you live in the mountains) then do it. If you aren't a car person and/or don't enjoy doing your own maintenance and repairs, I wouldn't recommend it as it will be more expensive and frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    If you aspire to learn about trucks (which will be valuable for the rest of your life if you live in the mountains) then do it. If you aren't a car person and/or don't enjoy doing your own maintenance and repairs, I wouldn't recommend it as it will be more expensive and frustrating.
    Also - if you have no place to do maintenance and repairs - think long and hard about how much you want to take on.

Wrenching on my old duramax in the driveway at -20 had me shopping for a new truck.

that was a nice truck ^^ but yeah once it gets cold you don't wana have to work on a truck up narth, besides the cold fingers plastic parts break instead of doing what you want them to ... you want something that is not breaking down, yet

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    Also - if you have no place to do maintenance and repairs - think long and hard about how much you want to take on.

Wrenching on my old duramax in the driveway at -20 had me shopping for a new truck.
    Sage advice. Especially if its your only ride. I loved owning my 20yo powerstroke, but it was a 3rd vehicle for us so I could wait till better weather to fix it when it broke.

I fuel my 79 F250 every 100 miles because I don’t have a gas gauge.
    When I fuel, I write the mpg for that tank on the back window.
    Here’s my mpg:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B0B8132F-9F58-4C13-AFBF-DAB90533B4EE.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	394.5 KB 
ID:	299830

That’s a downside.

Also, in those miles you see there, I’ve done:
    -burned gallons and gallons of motor oil
    -many many spark plugs in my 2 oil-burning plug-fouling cylinders
    -at least 2 gallons of gear oil through the frontend
    -fuel pump
    -front wheel bearings and hubs
    -brake lines
    -rear wheel cylinders
    -fuel pump, fuel filter
    -lifters, pushrods, and rocker arms
    -headlights, headlight switch, and dimmer switch
    -wiper arm
    -seat repair
    -replaced original radio
    -3 radiators, last one with rubber mounts to mitigate how they keep failing
    -upper/lower radiator hoses and thermostat
    -donut gaskets for the headers
    -removed dash vents to clean crap out of fan
    -2 batteries
    -had to reconnect transfer case shift lever after cotter pin failed, that was a slushy good time (it was in neutral, so it had to be fixed right then)
    -ignition coil
    -plug wires, cap/rotor
    -trans cooler
    -electric cooling fans and relay
    -horn and relay

So, you know....kind of a hassle.

If you can find a F250/350 with a standard trans and 300-six, those trucks are awesome. The twin traction beam frontend on the 250s kinda sucked, but whatever.

84/85 Toyota pickups
    77-79 F250s
    Pre 88 chevy trucks and k5 blazers

First gen cummins dodges
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 10-28-2019 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Remembered even more repairs to my lemon

There is one clear answer to the best old pickup and that is a 1989-1993 Dodge Ram Cummins. AKA a “First Gen”

Good Power. Great mileage. Sexy. Bad handling. Everything needed in an old pickup. The best are 4x4 5 speeds. Don’t but an automatic with overdrive. 91.5 or newer if an auto.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/...003491441.html

There is even a forum where you can Jong it up (but they won’t call you out for it)

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/

a cheaper one

https://wenatchee.craigslist.org/cto...009211494.html

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Hood View Post
    There is one clear answer to the best old pickup and that is a 1989-1993 Dodge Ram Cummins. AKA a “First Gen”

Good Power. Great mileage. Sexy. Bad handling. Everything needed in an old pickup. The best are 4x4 5 speeds. Don’t but an automatic with overdrive. 91.5 or newer if an auto.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/...003491441.html
    I can't even tell you how many experiences I've had, and still have in that same pickup, minus the paint, but in much better mechanical condition.

It moves me, and my heart. There are others, but, in that league, it takes the cake.