Binding Recommendation for me and my Kastle MX89

First real post...

About me: 6'4", 275lb
    Skis: 2018 Kastle MX89, 188cm, not mounted/drilled yet
    Boots: Lange SX130, 356mm sole length (31.5 mondo)

I picked these skis up super cheap last year and want to get some bindings for ripping groomers. These are my first frontside only ski, all my other resort pairs are all-mountain or powder have look pivot 14 or solomon sth 16 bindings.

I generally ride squaw and alpine in california, with a trip or to to the rockies or alps some years. I am pretty aggressive when it comes to off piste stuff, and my weight puts extra strain on my gear. I've been skiing for 30 years and still athletic enough to charge. I plan to ride these between storms when the groomers are combed, and i got them to go fast.

Anyway, looking for any help with binding selection for these skis specifically. Thanks.

any reason you wouldn't just use Pivots or STH16 again?

I like them both a lot, and no qualms with using them again at all.

Were both badger and badgerbadger already taken as user names?
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

I prefer the solly 747's on my combed groomer days...

Rock solid for a big cat.

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Or is it from this?
    https://youtu.be/NL6CDFn2i3I

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Pivot 18 for a big guy like you. The 14 is a glorfied 12.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    Or is it from this?
    https://youtu.be/NL6CDFn2i3I

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Godamnit!!!!

Badgerbadgerbadger.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

I can't say i tried either of them. I think my top choice was taken, so i just went with the next obvious choice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzagBTcYsYQ

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post

Agreed, I'm def considering the Pivot 18. Was just wondering if this setup would be more suited toward a race binding, perhaps? I won't be racing, but will be riding and carving fast on groomers. I've never used race bindings, so I don't really know the big differences. I was considering these as an alternative: https://www.tyrolia.com/shop/us-US/f....html?___SID=U

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    Pivot 18 for a big guy like you. The 14 is a glorfied 12.

Buy the metal 977 11-17 din solomans in GS. Beef binder.

Quote Originally Posted by badgerbadgerbadger View Post
    I can't say i tried either of them. I think my top choice was taken, so i just went with the next obvious choice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzagBTcYsYQ
    The ski is heavy enough, you don't need the Freeflex but...there is a Fischer version of that binding called the R16, that could be money. If only they made a Pivot 15 #bringbackthe15
    Click. Point. Chute.

If Pivot brakes are easily bent, there's an el cheapo pair of P18 with 75MM brakes on a certain auction site......

Can't believe it hasn't been said yet...

Red, they need to be red! Especially on the MX.

Why not find a pair of Solly 920, they would match the skis and OP's needs.

Pivot 18 all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I've heard people say they don't like pivots mounted flat on frontside-oriented skis, something about lack of lateral support in the heel or something along those lines.

I happen to have Sollys or Tyrolias on my groomer skis so don't have any personal input.

Is there any merit to using a more traditional (ie, non pivot) heelpiece with frontside carvers and narrower, cambered skis like the mx89? Obviously pivots were used for racing for many years, so I personally don't see why it would be inferior for frontside carving, but figured I'd ask...

I usually agree with why 99% of the time, but Sth2 16s all the way... I also have Pivot 18s, but prefer Sollies...

You really cant go wrong with Sollies or Looks and you will have some on here that are Tyrolia fanboys, but I think they are ugly as hell...!

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MRR11 View Post
    I've heard people say they don't like pivots mounted flat on frontside-oriented skis, something about lack of lateral support in the heel or something along those lines.

I happen to have Sollys or Tyrolias on my groomer skis so don't have any personal input.

Is there any merit to using a more traditional (ie, non pivot) heelpiece with frontside carvers and narrower, cambered skis like the mx89? Obviously pivots were used for racing for many years, so I personally don't see why it would be inferior for frontside carving, but figured I'd ask...
    Wits all due respect, if any of these people you speak of should spew such crap in the future, you can ignore it or simply say, “Bull. Shit”. Either way you’re good.

Quote Originally Posted by FlimFlamvanHam View Post
    Wits all due respect, if any of these people you speak of should spew such crap in the future, you can ignore it or simply say, “Bull. Shit”. Either way you’re good.
    You know I like Pivots as much as anyone, I have about 70 pair in my collection plus I started the #bringbackthe15 campaign. But, there is some truth to the Pivot not being as good on narrow skis. Case and point, Rossignol (and Dynastar abandoned the Pivot on their race skis in favor of the PX style heel. But, also the new Rocker Race bindings have one of the main design attributes integrate, the short mount distance.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Yeah, but race skis are on plates so you don't need the narrow mounting pattern.

I've always thought there was something to that with the pivot. So I'm willing to trade off some rigidity for a consistent flex when mounting flat.

And then there's the elastic travel.

But I'm a fan boy, so grains of salt and all that.

so, i'm getting mixed opinions on pivot 18's for this setup (although all negative opinions about them are not first hand), some suggestions for sth2's, and some suggestions for old ass solly bindings that are likely indemnified and tough to find.

thanks for the input