Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I bought the $53 twin pack of silverstars ultras. Only replaced the drivers side. Maybe only 5% brighter than the stock bulb in the passenger side.

So, that didn't help. I guess the lenses are just that shitty. They honestly don't look all that terrible from the outside though. I have definitely seen hazier lenses.

As someone mentioned before could some wiring issue be making the bulbs themselves dim?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Hmmm, when I sanded I used a circular motion with overlap, not the "east west" method like in that video. Possibly part of the problem.
    When it comes to car repairs, it pays to remember the words of Mr. Miyagi...

There are TONS of aftermarket options. Just look. Complete housings with bulbs.

I've done a few cars and one set of snowmobile lights with those 3m kits. Without fail they all end up looking like shit and in some cases end up cracking the plastic once exposed to the sun again for a few months. I'm not a fan.

Just buy something different than OEM. New lenses, housing bulbs....all of it.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I bought the $53 twin pack of silverstars ultras. Only replaced the drivers side. Maybe only 5% brighter than the stock bulb in the passenger side.

So, that didn't help. I guess the lenses are just that shitty. They honestly don't look all that terrible from the outside though. I have definitely seen hazier lenses.

As someone mentioned before could some wiring issue be making the bulbs themselves dim?
    the answer to this problem has been posted by multiple people in this thread. it’s not just the lights being dim is your problem. Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    the answer to this problem has been posted by multiple people in this thread. itís not just the lights being dim is your problem. Good luck...
    Zzzzzzzz some classic wisdom here....great advice bro

The mosquito repellent method works well, but not for long. What's this about Silver star lights?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

A lot of aftermarket housings are cheap and shitty with poor optics. The light output might well turn out to be worse than fogged up stock lamps.

Best bet IMHO is Google for the forum for your vehicle and see what people like there for replacements.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Have you looked here? These results are for the 4.6L model. Don't know if there's any difference between the headlights on different engine configs but they have the others listed too:
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...assembly,10762
    Anyway, new assemblies are pretty cheap from them! Might be worth doing a full replacement and calling it a day. I'm dealing with the same thing myself. I miss the days of simple glass headlights. Cheap and easy to replace and no stupid clouding lenses to worry about.

Just buy a new truck. Done.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

[/endthread] ^^^
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Or replace them for $100.....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

A new headlight assembly that actually provides a quality beam is going to be pretty pricey...like others said read up in other forums.

If you want something that works well particularly for snow then try the Rigids I mentioned.

Messing around with different bulbs won't do much as you found out.

Crazy thought but have you had your eyes checked recently?

Oem is like 150....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

It looks like the stock low beam bulb for your truck is an H11. I'm going to improve your lighting significantly for a total of $25.

Buy a pair of these H9 bulbs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also buy one of these little guys: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Remove one of your stock H11 bulbs, and hold it up side by side with your new H9 bulb. Take the tool you purchased, and modify the H9 so that it looks just like the H11. You'll have to cut a small plastic tab out of the socket on the bulb base, and you'll have to trim a small bit of metal off of one of the tabs that locks the bulb in place.

Repeat for the other side, then install the tweaked H9's as low beams. The light pattern and cutoff will stay the same as your standard low beams, but your output will increase significantly. This is the cheapest and easiest way to improve your low beam lighting. This will help more that trying Silverstar bulbs or something like that, because you're actually using a bulb with higher output instead of just whiter light.

You can also do this with your high beams by swapping the stock 9005 for a 9011 bulb. That's even easier as there's just one plastic tab to trim.
    I remember a bottomless freedom...

A truck aftermarket shop ordered some Hella replacement housings with glass for me years ago. Ford Aerostar van fitment. Put PIAA bulbs in them and could not believe the improvement. If the lenses don't want to clean up, I'd replace them as a start but see if Hella makes a replacement. Might not be the cheapest solution but can't overstate how important good headlights are.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    It looks like the stock low beam bulb for your truck is an H11. I'm going to improve your lighting significantly for a total of $25.

Buy a pair of these H9 bulbs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also buy one of these little guys: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Remove one of your stock H11 bulbs, and hold it up side by side with your new H9 bulb. Take the tool you purchased, and modify the H9 so that it looks just like the H11. You'll have to cut a small plastic tab out of the socket on the bulb base, and you'll have to trim a small bit of metal off of one of the tabs that locks the bulb in place.

Repeat for the other side, then install the tweaked H9's as low beams. The light pattern and cutoff will stay the same as your standard low beams, but your output will increase significantly. This is the cheapest and easiest way to improve your low beam lighting. This will help more that trying Silverstar bulbs or something like that, because you're actually using a bulb with higher output instead of just whiter light.

You can also do this with your high beams by swapping the stock 9005 for a 9011 bulb. That's even easier as there's just one plastic tab to trim.
    Not aimed at you as I'm sure you're aware, but for other readers:

They make bulb sockets with specific shapes so you don't overload vehicle wiring by using bulbs of different (unintended) wattage.

In this case it's 65W vs 55W stock, so less than an amp difference each and likely fine on wires and fuses, but this approach should be used with caution.
    life ain't guaranteed, love your people while you can

so 3m film does ok on a headlight lense ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

To add to what norseman said, old Toyotas can have low voltage at the bulb due to how they wired the ground (I don't know about first gen tundras, but the hilux/tacoma models have the ground running all the way back to the column switch, then back up to the right fender)

If that's the case, changing bulbs won't do much. The voltage across the bulb plug should be 13-14v, but I've seen it as low as 11v. At that point you need a sub-harness - ideally made from heavier ga wire - that employs a relay. I've done that with '90s trucks, and the difference is day and night. Even with stock sealed beams (which are garbage in North America, but that another conversation)

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Not aimed at you as I'm sure you're aware, but for other readers:

They make bulb sockets with specific shapes so you don't overload vehicle wiring by using bulbs of different (unintended) wattage.

In this case it's 65W vs 55W stock, so less than an amp difference each and likely fine on wires and fuses, but this approach should be used with caution.
    For sure, reasonable caution and common sense apply. As far as increased lumens per dollar spent, I don't think you will find a better upgrade for WRG's truck.

The H11 to H9 mod seems to be pretty common, and aside from somewhat reduced bulb life (but still on par with Silverstar type bulbs), there don't seem to be any reported issues.
    I remember a bottomless freedom...

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    There are TONS of aftermarket options. Just look. Complete housings with bulbs.

I've done a few cars and one set of snowmobile lights with those 3m kits. Without fail they all end up looking like shit and in some cases end up cracking the plastic once exposed to the sun again for a few months. I'm not a fan.

Just buy something different than OEM. New lenses, housing bulbs....all of it.
    I second this. I had a 2000 Subaru Outback with cloudy, yellowed headlights. I was thinking of polishing them, and decided to check eBay. I got a set of replacement housings with all lamps for $80 shipped. I was really pleased with the quality and ease of installation

The headlights on my 1999 4Runner are glass. They are as good as they were 20 years ago when it was new

The "performance" rock auto ones seems to be reasonbly priced. If you're keeping the truck for a while (and who doesn't keep a Tundra for a while) $400 for the pair seems like a decent price. I'd just look up some reviews.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...assembly,10762

Edit: A quick google search suggests they are of decent quality.