Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Dynafit TLT8 Carbonio

Just received a pair of TLT8 Carbonios and I'm a bit surprised at the fit and weight. Wanted to share to make others aware and to see if others are seeing the same with their boots:

Fit: I had heard that the TLT8 was going to be a low-volume, narrower boot. I have a Dalbello and Scarpa type foot (Salomon trail running shoes) and I find the TLT to be a pretty high-volume boot: lots of room in the forefoot and a wide heel. I went with my standard 27.0 boot size; the length is right on; the width across the boot and volume at the instep is high. Already I had to add C-pads on both sides of my ankles and I'm considering adding a boot sole shim as well to take up some of the space in the boot.

Weight: Advertised as a "sub-kilo" boot at 950 grams. Putting a boot on my scale (without the included powerstrap, which is a nice feature) came in at 1087 grams; very disappointing, to say the least. My measured weight is 15% heavier than Dynafit's advertised weight.
    Name:  IMG_3054.jpeg
Views: 3796
Size:  78.6 KB

I contacted Dynafit about this and they told me that the 950 gram stated weight is for the boot shell only (without the power strap); they aren't including the Custom Light liner in the advertised weight of the boot. Strange indeed, as I don't know of any other companies that do this. It feels misleading when trying to compare weights to other boot brands.

I haven't gotten a chance to ski these yet, but flexing into the boot does feel very good; not very stiff but just stiff enough, especially for a boot at this weight. I think that I will want to keep the power strap attached as it secures the cuff higher up on my calf increasing the stiffness. For reference I'm 5'10" and 160lbs. In walk mode the range of motion is pretty incredible and I think these boots will tour very well and can still drive wider/stiffer touring skis without issue.

The boots each have 2 ratchet-style buckles that feel pretty old-school (makes me think of old Scarpa touring boots with the ratchet instep buckle); we'll see how durable they are. Flipping over into walk mode is very easy: open the top buckle and the boot is loose and in walk mode. The foot buckle stays tight as it's no longer integrated into the top buckle like the TLT7. I like the change; way simpler.

I look forward to hearing what other folks' thoughts are on these boots as they start getting into peoples' hands!

I just happen to try on the TLT8 expedition today (performance is no more). I’m the opposite, big footed and TLT7 fit was good for me. TLT8 is still good. Maybe a bit lower volume and snugger fit, but not drastically as people may have hoped.

Bummer to hear about the weight stuff - that’s BS. I wouldn’t wanna ski the TLT8 without the power strap, the added support up high is important IMO.

A 26, which is usually the measured boot is likely under a 1kg. Still likely not 950g, but lighter.
    Last edited by XavierD; 10-26-2019 at 10:07 PM.

Carbonio.

That sounds funny.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    A 26, which is usually the measured boot is likely under a 1kg. Still likely not 950g, but lighter.
    I was told by Dynafit that the size they use for weight reference is 27.0.

Thanks for the fit info. I'm considering this boot with the non-carbon cuff. How would you compare the fit in the ankle area to other boots, like say, the Maestrale, last year of 4 buckles. My big ol' ankle bones need some room. Thx.
    Sawatch is French for scratchy.

Shell only weight is some bs
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by natebob View Post
    Thanks for the fit info. I'm considering this boot with the non-carbon cuff. How would you compare the fit in the ankle area to other boots, like say, the Maestrale, last year of 4 buckles. My big ol' ankle bones need some room. Thx.
    Unfortunately I can't offer a lot of info on fit compared to other AT boots. I'm a long-time tele skier converting back to AT with this setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Shell only weight is some bs
    Absolutely agreed!

Now that I've gotten a few touring days in the TLT8 Carbonios I wanted to offer a few additional thoughts on them. For reference, I paired these with the Dynafit Carbonio 89 skis (182cm) and BD Helio 145 bindings:
    1) The TLT8 skis very well, surprisingly well for a 'lightweight' touring boot. Tongue flex is much stiffer than expected and I can really lean into the boot to drive my skis through the less-than-ideal conditions that we have on the mountain right now.
    2) The range of motion in walk mode is pretty impressive. Granted, I'm a reformed tele skier coming back to AT after many years of tele-only, but in walk mode my stride motion is pretty natural while skinning. The "speed nose" actually does make a noticeable difference while walking on firm ground as well.
    3) The boot is much boxier and than I had hoped and expected. I have a normal width foot, narrow heel and skinny calves. There's a lot of volume in this boot; no other way to put it. Lots of room in the toes, pretty decent hold in the midfoot, and wide in the heel. I had to add C pads on both sides of my ankles to take up the extra space which seems to have helped for now. Despite that I'm afraid that once the liner packs out a bit the boot will go back to being too voluminous and I will have to replace the liners with Intuitions.
    4) Because of the extra volume in the boot it's a bit sloppier on the way down than I would like. I just don't get that "perfectly formed around your foot" feeling and I don't think that I ever will with the stock liners.
    5) Weight: I'm still a bit peeved at this. Advertising a boot at 950g (in size 27.0, the size that I bought) and then measuring the actual weight at 15% more than stated (1087g) is not cool at all. Dynafit needs to update their website, vendor site and advertising so that they don't continue to deceive people.

I'd be interested to hear opinions from anyone else that has a pair of TLT8 Carbonios!

Id be curious to hear how this boots compares to the new Fischer Travers CC

Just received the TLT8 Carbonio and have some very preliminary thoughts from wearing them around the house.

It’s difficult to judge the fit of lightweight boots since so much has to do with the liner. With the stock super thin CL liner, I had a pretty sloppy fit. Popping in Intuition Pro Tour MV molded for my Atomic Backlands (same size) I had a good fit. I can see how people using the standard liner might think this is a high volume boot, but I think the shell fit is fairly close to a TLT6 and Backland in the same size. I’d say the fit is close to my Alien RS in the next size up (which is kinda the same shell given Scarpa sizing - 29.5 vs 30).

I bought these as a slightly beefier complement to the Alien RS and I think they’ll be perfect for that. The walk mode feels close to the old TLT6 without tongue, and the stiffness feels close to the TLT6 with tongue. I’d say you give ever so slightly in both modes in exchange for not needing the removeable tongue. Frankly I was embarrassed for Dynafit when the TLT7 came out, but this feels like a worthy successor of the TLT6. They feel substantially stiffer than the Alien RS but obviously they’re heavier and don’t tour as well.

Hope someone finds this helpful.

Dynafit's page for the TLT8 Carbonio now lists it at 1090g, interesting that they updated the page. Skimo.co weighs it at 1102g, which seems to be a reasonable variance, they probably sample one pair.

Quote Originally Posted by ccl View Post
    Frankly I was embarrassed for Dynafit when the TLT7 came out
    I'm curious why you say that - I've never skied the TLT6 nor the TLT8, but honestly, I love my TLT7's. Sure, the internal cable routing is unnecessary and over-engineered, but the boot skis and walks very well.

The TLT7P seemed soft compared with the TLT6P or TLT8M when I tried them.
    I've read the internal cable system is prone to breaking, they switched back to ultralock for the TLT8.

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    The TLT7P seemed soft compared with the TLT6P or TLT8M when I tried them.
    I've read the internal cable system is prone to breaking, they switched back to ultralock for the TLT8.
    And the TLT7 last was Sasquatchian in volume. Different strokes and all that, but it’s always easier to make it bigger than smaller.

Is the TLT8 Carbonio last more like the TLT6?

No, the TLT8 is similar to the TLT7 in fit. The new Speedfit Pro has a similar fit to the TLT6.

Speedfit Pro is similar to the black orange TLT6P (latest season) which was a touch wider than the green one.

Quote Originally Posted by andy m View Post
    No, the TLT8 is similar to the TLT7 in fit. The new Speedfit Pro has a similar fit to the TLT6.
    Fuck. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    And the TLT7 last was Sasquatchian in volume. Different strokes and all that, but it’s always easier to make it bigger than smaller.

Is the TLT8 Carbonio last more like the TLT6?
    Makes sense why I love the TLT7, I have bunions bigger than my big toes practically. My only complaint with the TLT7 is that the damn powerstrap slips.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Makes sense why I love the TLT7, I have bunions bigger than my big toes practically. My only complaint with the TLT7 is that the damn powerstrap slips.
    fix for that is hot glue on a strip of coarse grip emery cloth. worked for my vulcans with a similar strap
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    fix for that is hot glue on a strip of coarse grip emery cloth. worked for my vulcans with a similar strap
    Damn okay - something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Assorted-S...9542433&sr=8-6

I'll do that right away if that's the ticket, thanks for the heads up. I'm a ninny I know - but I feel pretty insecure without that powerstrap, and I've felt it loosen so much that I've stopped in the middle of runs to fuck with it. Very frustrating.

I watched a friend break the spoiler that fixes the walk mode "just skiing along" when he hit a little bump and flexed the boot forward to absorb the hit. Third day on the boots and non-repairable. Probably a bad batch of plastic, I'd think.

Attachment 311597

Damn okay - something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Assorted-S...9542433&sr=8-6

I'll do that right away if that's the ticket, thanks for the heads up. I'm a ninny I know - but I feel pretty insecure without that powerstrap, and I've felt it loosen so much that I've stopped in the middle of runs to fuck with it. Very frustrating.
    I felt your pain. I'll try to find pics and dig around to find that emery cloth that I used...might have been 60 or 80 grit.

I've since moved on to a nice wide dh boot good old velcro strap...imo, works quite bit better.
    Master of mediocrity.

Found the old powerstraps. Here's what the mod looks like and what grit emery cloth employed; e cloth was cheap; maybe a buck at the hardware store. For the bonding; in hindsight, i think i used shoegoo, not the hot glue gun.

Also, my vulcans are about 4 years old...not sure if the basic cam style powerstrap on yer carabiner8's are same, similar or vastly different.

Name:  P1120405.JPG
Views: 2077
Size:  115.8 KB

Name:  P1120404.JPG
Views: 2089
Size:  91.4 KB

Name:  P1120407.JPG
Views: 2076
Size:  149.7 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Found the old powerstraps. Here's what the mod looks like and what grit emery cloth employed; e cloth was cheap; maybe a buck at the hardware store. For the bonding; in hindsight, i think i used shoegoo, not the hot glue gun.

Also, my vulcans are about 4 years old...not sure if the basic cam style powerstrap on yer carabiner8's are same, similar or vastly different.
    Very similar - I'll do this mod later this week. Thanks for your help here!