Page 108 of 165 FirstFirst ... 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 ... LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 4121
    And on a more sober note, the Google translated accident report from Mines.
    Vibes to all involved

https://avalanchequebec.ca/wp-conten...ine-200219.pdf

AVALANCHE ACCIDENT REPORT
    Date / time: February 19, 2020 - 10:30 a.m.
    Description: Mines Madeleine area, Mont Sainte-Anne, "Joe Louis" descent Contact: 49 ° 00'57.6 "N 66 ° 00'53.4" W
    Mountain range: Appalachian mountains, Notre-Dame mountains, McGerrigle mountains
    Province: Quebec
    GROUP INFORMATION
    Activity: Off-piste skiing INFORMATION ON THE AVALANCHE
    Number: 1
    Size: 2, the shape of the ground and the presence of a natural trap at the bottom of the slope made all the snow ended up in the bottom of the narrow ravine and the victims were buried quite deep ( 1 min 20 s and 1.80 m).
    Type: Plate avalanche (dry snow)
    Appearance: NE-N-NO
    Tilt: average of 32 degrees. 40 degree slope angle at fracture. Some steeper places with snow accumulations.
    Trigger: human
    Dimension: 100 meters wide at the crown. Thickness of the fracture: variable from 40 cm to 200 cm. Length of 400 m.
    Slip plan: on the crust of January 26, 2020 and on the crust of December 15, 2019.
    Starting area: 960 m above sea level
    Comments: drop zone up to +/- 720 m above sea level
    INFORMATION ON THE PERSONS INVOLVED
    Number of people involved: 3 Number of people injured: 1 Number of people killed: 1
    SNOW COAT AND WEATHER INFORMATION
    Weather forecast for the previous day in the valley: weather forecast on the Environment Canada website (no weather warning in effect.)
    900, route du Parc, Ste-Anne-des-Monts (Quebec) G4V 2E3 Telephone: 418.763.5315 www.avalanchequebec.ca
    Tuesday evening and night: Cloudy. Snow and blowing snow in places starting early this evening. Accumulation of 10 to 15 cm.
    Wind becoming south 30 km / h gusting to 50 early this evening then light overnight. Low minus 9. Temperature increasing to minus 6 overnight. Wind chill minus 18 tonight and
    minus 12 overnight.
    Wednesday Feb 19 : Snow storm. Blowing snow in places late in the morning and in the afternoon. Accumulation of
    2 cm. Wind becoming west 40 km / h gusting to 70 in the morning. High minus 3. Temperature falling to minus 10 in the afternoon. Wind chill minus 11 in the morning and minus 19 in the afternoon.
    UV index of 1 or low.
    Weather forecast on the summits (summary in the bulletin):
    Tuesday evening and night: 9 to 13 cm of snow, extreme southwest wind, alpine temperature of -11.
    Wednesday: 1 to 3 cm of snow, extreme west wind, alpine temperature of -19.

On the ground (what happened): During the night of February 18 to 19: 15 cm of new snow in the valley and about 30 cm in the mountains. Winds first blew at 120 km / h from the south with a peak at 175 km / h on February 18
    around 9 p.m. The winds then turned southwest and decreased to 90 km / h before decreasing to 75 km / h from the west
    morning of February 19. For the remainder of the day of the accident, the winds were 50 to 60 km / h from the west.
    Snowpack: 15 cm of new snow in the valley, but +/- 30 cm in the alpine plus a few cm already present were transported by the extreme winds from S-SW. During the night of February 18 to 19, new wind slabs therefore formed at the top of the N-NE slopes directly on the freeze crust of January 26, 2020. See bulletin of February 19, 2020 below for more details.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS
    A group of three skiers went up to the Mines Madeleine refuge on Tuesday February 18. They had consulted the bulletin of the previous day: https://avalanchequebec.ca/avalanche...illon-auto-48/ as well as the weather forecast on the SpotWx site. They had in mind that 10-15 cm of new snow was expected with southerly winds which would decrease on Wednesday morning. At the refuge, they meet another skier and decide to go skiing together the next day on the "Joe Louis" slope in the north sector of the mine tank. All of the members involved had completed the CSA1 and had backcountry skiing experience. They all had a DVA, a shovel, a probe and a helmet, two-way radios to communicate with each other and had a satellite phone left at the shelter.

The group of four skiers and snowboarders then heads to the north slopes on Wednesday morning. They go up by “la Craque” (behind the refuge) to cross the plateau at the top and access “Joe Louis”. The wind was still very strong on the summit, but was expected to change from extreme to strong according to the weather forecast. The group had in mind that the wind was going to decrease. They then find a place in a small depression at the top of the slope to make the transition to ski mode. The bad weather conditions and the wind make everything happen very quickly and no discussion or downhill game plan is drawn up. The first two people begin their descent while the third goes rather a left skier to go see his line of descent. This is when the avalanche starts. The 4th skier, staying at the top, sees the scene unfolding and shouts to warn the others. The 3rd skier manages to manage his slide in the avalanche and get out of it. The first two skiers were "instantly swallowed up" by the avalanche. The two skiers still on the surface then put their DVA in "search" mode and head down the slope to perform the rescue. One of them quickly passes over the victims and must then go back up the slope, while the other finds the first victim buried about 1.4 m deep. They probe and excavate the victim, clear his respiratory tract and search for the second victim to find him about 1.8 m away, to excavate him and start CPR. After a while, they decide that one of them will go to the shelter to contact the emergency services with the satellite phone, but then find that there is cellular network.and immediately contact 911.

The 4th skier still goes to the refuge and the other three remain at the scene of the accident waiting for help.
    A group led by Ski Chic-Chocs (SCC) was in the same area and was informed of the situation by radio. The two guides dropped their clients off at the shelter to help the victims. They were the first responders to reach the victims and carried out the rescue and evacuation. Meanwhile, using the communication tools between SÉPAQ and the CCS guides, the emergency services mobilized and managed to join the group made up of CCS guides and victims at the bottom of the slope.
    The quick and efficient intervention of the two Ski Chic-Chocs guides and emergency services (Sûreté du Québec, firefighters, paramedics and the SÉPAQ) made it possible to make the rescue before dark.

Here are some recommendations that skiers in the group would like to share with the backcountry skiing and snowboarding community to help, educate, educate and save lives:
     Be vigilant and trained for avalanche prevention (as we were). Although we were aware of the avalanche and alert problems, an avalanche causing death in Eastern Quebec surprised us.
     A priori, study and closely analyze the terrain, its elevation, its complexity as well as the risk areas before your departure, and this, in parallel with the weather and the avalanche bulletin available. Establish the key moments when the team should consult each other to validate these analyzes and make decisions on the spot. Maintain this approach in any case. Recognition in the direct field is the most sensitive decision-making tool.
     Always have your avalanche equipment (shovel, probe and DVA) and know how to use it. Practice before leaving to have maximum reactivity in the event of an incident.
     Identify a leader within your group based on their knowledge, experience, personality, attitude and listening skills (we did this). Set your limits and stick to them. If you meet a new person and they are added to your group in the expedition, submit them to your established dynamics. This new person does not know the experience level of other members, their skills and their limits.
     Wear your equipment properly: wear a well-fitting helmet with glasses. Put on a proper hat to go under the helmet, because an avalanche can be of unforgivable violence.
    Avalanche bulletin for the day of the accident: https://avalanchequebec.ca/avalanche_bulletin/bulletin- davalanche-19-fevrier-2020 /
    Video of the field trip: https://youtu.be/dA4E3VajICQ
    Photos attached
    DATE AND TIME OF REPORT: February 20, 2020. Revised February 28.

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Merde!
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    No man, I'm Dave. Open up I got the stuff
    “How’s my driving?”

”I think we’re parked, man!”

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    No man, I'm Dave. Open up I got the stuff
    Dave’s not here man

Killington today was funky, new snow was grabby. Down low on Wildfire and Skyeburst was actually nice corn. The big takeaway was just how much snow they have blown on Superstar, and the guns are still there, not done yet! This is easily the most snow I’ve ever seen on Supah. The mound at the top of Preston’s is higher than the lift. Kmart gets after it.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Killington today was funky, new snow was grabby. Down low on Wildfire and Skyeburst was actually nice corn. The big takeaway was just how much snow they have blown on Superstar, and the guns are still there, not done yet! This is easily the most snow I’ve ever seen on Supah. The mound at the top of Preston’s is higher than the lift. Kmart gets after it.
    That's good to hear, pics looked like it was really deep but some twits on STE FB were saying it's not deep.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Yeah, when I was there Sunday they had the guns blazing on Superstar, probably spaced 3x tighter than usual. Guns were probably every 15' and then those taller guns were spewing also. Nice creamy snow down the right sideline, but there was some heavy duty fog that made it less fun.

East MF Coast 19/20.

It reads like the 3rd skier may have cut a traverse line above 2 descending skiers in VTF’s Chic Chocs incident report above? Also the first two descending closely together? Always easy to second guess and I am hopefully wrong in my read but if I am reading correctly, avoidable actions.

Regardless, sad to read. Condolences to those involved, friends, family etc.... ugh.
    Uno mas

East MF Coast 19/20.

I know most of you only pay attention to alpine racing, but this must be respected - the USA nordic mens junior world relay team took the GOLD at the world championships, beating the rest of the field by 35 seconds.

Name:  IMG_5231.JPG
Views: 640
Size:  126.3 KB

The American junior women took a 🥈, which ain’t too shabby.

that’s pretty cool because you know we’re gonna kick ass in the biathalon!

the mont alta party has been announced. this is one of the best ski parties i have ever been to. there’s a race, costumes, live music, and a tiny nelsap. if anyone is interested, hmu. it’s ten bucks or so at the door:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8070.JPG 
Views:	585 
Size:	430.2 KB 
ID:	319059
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Schweet

Spring pass aquired
    Up for a few days on the 17th

Also...
    Got a Mt. Snow voucher that I never got the chance to use.

Free to a good home for the first to claim it

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I know most of you only pay attention to alpine racing, but this must be respected - the USA nordic mens junior world relay team took the GOLD at the world championships, beating the rest of the field by 35 seconds.

Name:  IMG_5231.JPG
Views: 640
Size:  126.3 KB

The American junior women took a ��, which ain’t too shabby.
    Hell yes! Going to QC next weekend to fanboy out in person.

Oooo Tiny Bras! Sounds like fun!

www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

DART just arrived and landed bob.
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    DART just arrived and landed bob.
    Well that sucks. Has everything firmed up since last weeks snow?

Keep up. It's about to turn into slush.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keep up. It's about to turn into slush.
    Monday. That's long term. I need answers now. Supposed to go to Stowe tomorrow. Looks chilly.

South facing softened to the top of North Lynx and the bumps were fun. Anything that didn't face south remained firm or loose groomer sand. Anything that softened today that gets groomed early or not at all will be knee rattlingly firm tomorrow with highs in the teens. Crowd might be light, you know, corona!
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    South facing softened to the top of North Lynx and the bumps were fun. Anything that didn't face south remained firm or loose groomer sand. Anything that softened today that gets groomed early or not at all will be knee rattlingly firm tomorrow with highs in the teens. Crowd might be light, you know, corona!
    Did someone say Corona light? This has been in my fridge for a really long time

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Wash your hands!

At Lawsons and the crowd in town/roads/store is huge.
    Sitting outside to avoid teh sick peoples

Ahhh, whatever man. I'll be at Stowe on some carving skis with a buddy. Let's make some turns. No cock blockers.

^

I might make it over there for a few race condition zoomers with you, I'll shoot you a message tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by powbmps View Post
    Ahhh, whatever man. I'll be at Stowe on some carving skis with a buddy. Let's make some turns. No cock blockers.
    Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    ^

I might make it over there for a few race condition zoomers with you, I'll shoot you a message tomorrow.
    Have fun, Rusty and those Flannel guys are at the Alchemist 3-6, full pours!
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Twas part of my plan for heading that way, always up for seeing Doug and Patrick pick.

Jay got soft mid day. Lower mtn was game on. Tons of base up here. Name:  IMG_20200306_161319_666.jpeg
Views: 483
Size:  40.9 KB