Page 146 of 165 FirstFirst ... 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 ... LastLast
Results 3,626 to 3,650 of 4121
    Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Anecdotally I think the new setups are used at resorts. On lifts. So called aspirational users.
    If you are collecting data I am curious if aiare course graduates are more numerous in the Northeast in the last few years. Not curious enough to collect the data...
    My concern is for don't ask don't tell glade areas to blow up and then landowners and managers have to post them no trespassing.
    I think mature good skiers do their research in New England and the book will prevent not cause incidents. That's my hope.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    The ever-increasing annual enrollment in intro-level avy course is so overwhelmingly that I haven't bothered with any sort of tally.
    Thinking back to when my wife and I took our first course in 2001, the total number of *providers* back then is less than the number of weekly courses during much of the season.
    The only bad part of that trend is that some of the courses take place so early in the season that suitable terrain is unlikely, and some take place so late in the season that suitable snowpack is unlikely.

And yes, totally agreed on keeping certain types of the glades on the down low.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Now all of the other places will be known to them.
    You could be entirely correct, but ... the Goodman book has been around a looong time, in many different editions (IIRC yet another edition is coming out soon, since he was asking for pics on FB this season), covering pretty much everywhere, although not really all that well, and many aspects of the book are hopelessly Old School.

The recent incident of the snowboarders up in Tucks you refer to is what I subjectively feel I am seeing a lot more of up there.
    I saw something like that about two decades ago ... exactly the same place, same amount of snow, same lack of runout...was skiing too fast, not having slipped while ascending, although same crash into the rocks...and was totally okay?!? My heart definitely skipped a few beats on that one!
    And if you watch this old movie:
    https://www.newenglandskimuseum.com/dr-quackenbush-dvd/
    ... which is a total hoot in general, people have been skiing Tucks during the spring in all sorts of crazy ways for almost a century.

I was a winter hiker long before I was a BC skier (Tucks in Spring I don’t put in that category) and we always carried a kit so that if we were benighted we would survive.
    I think that has definitely changed in recent decades. I was a pioneer of sorts for that – in all the wrong ways! When I skied the Muir Snowfield in August 1999 on a biz trip to Seattle, my only strength was that I was aware of my many weaknesses ... which were pretty much everything, except for skiing skills and physical fitness, and even those were weaknesses since they could just get me even deeper into more trouble. (Fortunately I hooked up in a rainy Paradise Visitor Center parking lot with two of the most well-known and welcoming turns-all-year skiers back then.)

Point being that once upon a time, people got into backcountry skiing and ski mountaineering almost always because they were already backcountry recreationalists and mountaineers. Now they get into it from resort skiing, with none of the general backcountry and mountaineering skills.

The second area I see new skiers needing skill development is crampon and axe use. Bunch of places don’t need it, but when you want it and need to use it are you ready. I think it was Pipeline the fellow took a slide for life down.
    March 7, 2004 – immediately after a vicious thaw-freeze cycle that was followed by some higher-elevation snow, i.e., perfect recipe for nice skiing in the first part of the line followed by an especially icy ice bulge.

I believe the book will lead to more SAR calls. I think we will see more incidents of folks going places where they shouldn’t like the pair that went down seven a half dozen years ago in very early season.
    You mean the hikers in King Ravine on November 23, 1997? Or something else?

The instructor is as much at fault
    for allowing a guy in a cotton t-shirt and puffy to join the group and head into the BC so ill-prepared.

I was referring to a pair of skiers about six years ago, but I have a hazy memory so give or take a year. Might not have been seven too, but that was the memory. Was in December and they found themselves in trouble, but nothing too serious. At time it was reckless imho and I thought it was a case where they should cover some of the costs of the call-since become more conservative in my thinking in what calls.

The pages shown of the book look to be of excellent quality between the photos and the write up. World is changing always and inevitable this would come along. Be interesting to see how it goes with this book, Goodman’s new one and the map you referenced. Sure many more fb and Instagram photos. I keep thinking that the bc bubble will burst, but no signs yet.

On a brighter note, now being able to cross the border in good conscience, trail work commences Tuesday.
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    The instructor is as much at fault
    for allowing a guy in a cotton t-shirt and puffy to join the group and head into the BC so ill-prepared.
    Easy to say that ... until you personally have tried vetting any such course or outing.
    You think people on the internet exaggerate their skiing ability? You know, like how everyone who ever asks for feedback at TGR on a pending gear purchase is an "aggressive expert"? Even worse for any sort of training course, etc.
    I went so far as to require a group hike during my fall course session, essentially as a fitness test, to ensure that we didn't end up with any complete disaster for the winter field sessions.

Check this out:
    https://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/a...ident=20050306
    We spent a lot of time using this as a case study for an AIARE instructor training/refresher course. NM tele skier who could turn in only one direction. (Seriously.) So he strayed from the moderately angled pitch onto a steeper pitch. The instructors should have vetted better, and also paid closer attention to his skiing ability (or rather, lack thereof) during the prior days of the course, but he had no business signing up for that course in the first place.

Then there's this:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/31/m...-julavits.html
    ... every instructor's nightmare ... doesn't pay attention (by her own admission) ... can't really ski in the backcountry (ditto) ... can't comprehend basic avy concepts (as evidenced in how she mixes up so much stuff in her piece) ... yet is profoundly arrogant and contemptuous.

I was referring to a pair of skiers about six years ago, but I have a hazy memory so give or take a year. Might not have been seven too, but that was the memory. Was in December and they found themselves in trouble, but nothing too serious. At time it was reckless imho and I thought it was a case where they should cover some of the costs of the call-since become more conservative in my thinking in what calls.
    Hmm, not ringing any bells, but maybe someone else can chime in with details.
    Either way, looking forward to chatting about that in person with you at ESAW ... in 2021!

Right on putting ESAW 2021 on the calendar. Missed a couple recently

East MF Coast 19/20.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Easy to say that ... until you personally have tried vetting any such course or outing.
    Someone showing up that ill prepared shouldnt end up 'passing' an Avy 1 course anyway, so why put everyone else at risk. It's been years, but doesn't Part 1 discuss, 'Have the right gear and know how to use it'? That's more than just beacon, probe, and shovel.

Obviously it's very difficult to tell who can actually ski until you get in the field. Good on you for having your own requirements (fitness test) to make sure the group would be as safe as possible.
    Last edited by Peruvian; 07-07-2020 at 06:53 PM.

Change of subject.....

Looking for an assist from Maine mags that might travel to the Portsmouth area regularly...

Or from eastern NH mags that may travel to the Bangor (or Farmington/Skowhegan) area regularly.

Looking to avoid shipping some skis I'm looking to buy from Bangor to the Keene, NH area. I can easily get to Portsmouth and willing to pay for your troubles with Focal Banger, Heady Topper, any of Frost's offerings, Burlington Beer Company, Green Empire, Lawson's or just about any Vermont beer except Hill Farmstead.

Anybody?

Bueller?

oscar’s is back...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0D09E965-8D06-48D0-A568-A8249C6A2E10.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	773.9 KB 
ID:	333923

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Change of subject.....

Looking for an assist from Maine mags that might travel to the Portsmouth area regularly...

Or from eastern NH mags that may travel to the Bangor (or Farmington/Skowhegan) area regularly.

Looking to avoid shipping some skis I'm looking to buy from Bangor to the Keene, NH area. I can easily get to Portsmouth and willing to pay for your troubles with Focal Banger, Heady Topper, any of Frost's offerings, Burlington Beer Company, Green Empire, Lawson's or just about any Vermont beer except Hill Farmstead.

Anybody?

Bueller?
    Travel? Who's traveling!

Had a nice looksee, 8.43mi; Vertical Gain2,627ft; Elapsed Time8:40:26:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200707Profile.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	333937
    Lots to do

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Travel? Who's traveling!
    I travel between SW NH and Burlington, VT almost weekly.

MNIAW... pm me. I live an hour from Bangor but travel through there and Skowhegan every couple weeks to go paddling.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    I travel between SW NH and Burlington, VT almost weekly.
    Granted the three northern NE states are in fair shape, but this is the exact reason this country is so fucking fucked right now. 130k and counting.

Re travel:
    Restrictions have been officially changed, hence my choice to travel. If the restrictions are reinstated, I won't flout them.

No stops with contact in either direction yesterday. When I gassed up, the Clorox Wipes touched the pump before I did. The card gets wiped after insertion, no receipt. I don't use gloves much, preferring to sanitize after. Masked up while out of the car or passing people on the trail.

Standard wildlands bio-break procedures.

If I find I have been in contact with a recovered person or a contact of theirs, no travel because I shall self-quarantine...and yes, I do ask.

Granted the three northern NE states are in fair shape, but this is the exact reason this country is so fucking fucked right now. 130k and counting.
    Not to get WAY off topic, but this is just wrong.

The country is fucked because people want to go to bars/restaurants, swimming pools/beaches, and live a normal life like we are not still in a pandemic. Solo travel between low risk locations is not really causing the spiked increases in infections.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Not to get WAY off topic, but this is just wrong.

The country is fucked because people want to go to bars/restaurants, swimming pools/beaches, and live a normal life like we are not still in a pandemic. Solo travel between low risk locations is not really causing the spiked increases in infections.
    Oh, ok Fauci. I'm sure you have a phd of infectious disease epidemiology.

We need snow.

It’s July, fucking ride your bikes, beaters.
    Take a Lap
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Take a Lap
    FWIW - it’s also the best time to buy skis as MNIAW is trying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Take a Lap
    Hey ya cod, take a real lap, not a virtual one! Kook!

Quote Originally Posted by dangur View Post
    We need snow.
    ~75 days till fast grass!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I travel because I don't want to get fired. Sorry if this offends your self-righteousness.

Oh, ok Fauci. I'm sure you have a phd of infectious disease epidemiology.
    Let's see your degree beater. You seem so quick to foist your expertise upon others, let's see it. I'm following all guidelines as required by the CDC and the 2 states I live/work in.

This country is fucked because idiots are not doing what I'm doing.