Page 105 of 165 FirstFirst ... 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 4121
    32 days straight, topped off with da last two being big tours up north. i'm thrashed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1497.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	318330

damn is dis phun

edit holy craps
    toppers
    again
    yehaw
    ain't dis a treat
    light 'em up, boysengirlz
    Last edited by akokskis; 03-01-2020 at 08:23 PM.
    go Go GO!

23-24: 36. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

Quote Originally Posted by akokskis View Post
    32 days straight, topped off with da last two being big tours up north. i'm thrashed.

Name:	DSC_1497.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	318330

damn is dis phun

edit holy craps
    toppers
    again
    yehaw
    ain't dis a treat
    light 'em up, boysengirlz

Fun spot, more YO-YOs than you could shake a twig at.

Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    Fun spot, more YO-YOs than you could shake a twig at.
    yessah. wide open lanes (and lanes and lanes and lanes), can't complain
    go Go GO!

23-24: 36. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

Hope you're packing up north! Bet they would love to share that Quebec toddler.

Went from 21` with 4mph max wind gust at 7:50 to 34` with 28mph max at 8:20 bob. Currently 37` and windy.
    * North Ridge, North Lynx, Heaven's Gate, and Super Bravo are on Winhold. *

It was life in the fast lane this weekend for sure, so much win!

Name:	20200302_090146.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	318375

Name:	20200302_090441.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	935.2 KB 
ID:	318377

Name:  FullSizeR_3.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  119.6 KB

The moose do a good job of branch trimming

Name:	20200302_090713.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	951.0 KB 
ID:	318379
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

can confirm that conditions at Jay were all-time - Saturday was best day of the season so far, knee deep in most spots and the wind loaded up the woods nicely, that 32" report on Saturday was definitely pretty accurate.

Name:	GPTempDownload (25).jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	318417
    my head is perpetually in the clouds

Some great looking shots in this thread!

Scottski, mogul junkie, lemmycaution and I hit McCauley on Friday, thinking it would be less advertised than Whiteface or Snow Ridge.

It wasn't all time, but it was most excellent.

For 600 vert it is all you could ask for. Deep snow in the trees, boulder size bumps on the (short but) legit steep terrain, and nobody skiing before about 1pm, when all the school kids show up.

Lake effect streamer was very close to us, but not right on top. Weather alternated between light flurries, steady snow and nuclear meltdown.

We skied all day, and in the (all cash) bar at 4pm they told us that the power company was planning to kill the mountains power at 5pm, for maintenance.

We were still there when the juice was cut, right as another monster squall was blowing through. It was fucking cool.

Great day.

More on nysb.

Good ^^^

Bad vvv

Bummer of an update on the Stowe incident

March 2, 2020

Williston Barracks // Updated Press Release // Death Investigation // 20A101038
    *** Update ***

The identity of the victim in this case is Andrew Hryb, age 36 from
    Darien, CT. The other skier is the brother of the victim, Alexander Hryb, age
    35 from Norwalk, CT.

Investigation has shown that the pair had skied off trail and had gone
    out of bounds into the woods from Stowe Mountain Resort. They became
    disoriented and attempted to find their way out of the woods. They traveled an
    estimated 1.5 to 2 miles from Sensation Quad lift at Spruce Peak through the woods before coming to an ice climbing route known as Doug's Route. It appears that Andrew lost his footing while trying to look over the edge of the approximately 220 foot cliff and fell.

This incident has been determined to be an accident and Andrew's
    injuries were consistent with having fallen from the cliff.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

An article that has a bit more detail on the death and subsequent rescue

https://vtskiandride.com/a-skier-die...tragic-rescue/

Wow. That is awful. ++ vibes and remember to try and stay safe out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Man that is so awful. I couldn’t imagine seeing my brother fall to his death off a 200+ft cliff right in front of me. That poor guy. Vibes indeed.

Friday to sunday was some of the best skiing I’ve had in a long time. Legs were completely smoked at work today. A perfectly fitting end to this season for me. Getting some hardware taken out Wednesday. If mid April is still skiable, I might give it a try. If not, it’ll be a great summer of fishing and hiking with a lot less screws in my leg. Enjoy the rest of the snow season fellas!

Quote Originally Posted by Boosh View Post
    can confirm that conditions at Jay were all-time - Saturday was best day of the season so far, knee deep in most spots and the wind loaded up the woods nicely, that 32" report on Saturday was definitely pretty accurate.

Name:	GPTempDownload (25).jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	318417
    Way to chase it Boosh! Looks like the knee is doing just fine

Great to see everyone stoked and getting after it.
    Side note: anyone have leads on industry related work around Burlington? CS Manager level hopefully. Just got shitcanned by a pencil pusher, need leads asap. Please PM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Good ^^^

Bad vvv

Bummer of an update on the Stowe incident

March 2, 2020

Williston Barracks // Updated Press Release // Death Investigation // 20A101038
    *** Update ***

The identity of the victim in this case is Andrew Hryb, age 36 from
    Darien, CT. The other skier is the brother of the victim, Alexander Hryb, age
    35 from Norwalk, CT.

Investigation has shown that the pair had skied off trail and had gone
    out of bounds into the woods from Stowe Mountain Resort. They became
    disoriented and attempted to find their way out of the woods. They traveled an
    estimated 1.5 to 2 miles from Sensation Quad lift at Spruce Peak through the woods before coming to an ice climbing route known as Doug's Route. It appears that Andrew lost his footing while trying to look over the edge of the approximately 220 foot cliff and fell.

This incident has been determined to be an accident and Andrew's
    injuries were consistent with having fallen from the cliff.
    Dougs route is a line on the South Wall area, basically the cliff face and ice routes you see when looking NE at the Notch from gondola and quad. They either were searching for the Tusk, or they seriously got lost looking for BD Bowls. Still tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by ridge_skier View Post
    An article that has a bit more detail on the death and subsequent rescue

RIP. Let’s be careful out there people.

Yup, be careful

www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Mad props to the Mtn warfare group, I spent two years working a mixed route near here, the rock is crap and I couldn’t imagine trying to climb it under pressure.

Mad props to the Mtn warfare group, I spent two years working a mixed route near here, the rock is crap and I couldn’t imagine trying to climb it under pressure.
    Yeah, absolutely.

This was well said imo -

Van Dyke, speaking by phone on Monday, was somber. ““Many of us can see ourselves in very similar situations. It’s not unusual for those of us who recreate in the backcountry to take risks or to find ourselves in sketchy situations.  Ninety-nine times out 100, we come out ok, but sometimes it doesn’t happen that way and we need to be careful about finger pointing,” he said.
    Van Dyke also posted a personal note on Ski+RideVt’s Facebook page:
    “I would venture to say that virtually all of us who love the backcountry have at some point in our lives (likely more than once) pushed the envelope a tad. Many would argue that a bit of adventure and uncertainty contributes to our enjoyment. You can put me in that group.
    Almost always we make it through, head for home, have a beer and share a laugh and a good story about our adventure. Then on rare (very rare in fact) occasions, things don’t turn out so well and something like what happened last night occurs.
    In the ultimate wisdom of our 20/20 hindsight could things have played out differently. Of course, but the fact is that sometimes really bad things happen to really good people in circumstances similar to where we have placed ourselves at times.
    Let’s keep our thoughts and prayers with the friends and family of a fellow skier who won’t have an opportunity to play another day in our great outdoors.”

Dougs route is a line on the South Wall area, basically the cliff face and ice routes you see when looking NE at the Notch from gondola and quad. They either were searching for the Tusk, or they seriously got lost looking for BD Bowls. Still tragic.

This was my immediate thought also, that or they were looking for LTC and went way too far out. Getting down/around (or back up) either way with the current snowpack would be very difficult to impossible. I was at Stowe Friday and know Tusk was skied/ridden that morning, it doesn't take much traffic for it to become unskiable so I wonder if that factored in. Horrible accident, thoughts to the family and especially, the brother and +1 on the incredible members of the rescue crew. Having come across the mountain warfare groups during training over the years and knowing 2 former members (one being a somewhat regular ski partner) I know they train for anything that can happen up there and then some.

Some more VT tree stoke from this past weekend.

https://vimeo.com/394720180?fbclid=I...n8fOdR28iNOudQ

Nice ^^ no bumps, clean lines and no kooks[ well a telemarketer] adds up to a good time.
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Short vid from Friday at Stowe... GoPro battery died, but some of the later runs I had (especially my first run off the top of the Gondi) were ridiculously deep. What a day!

Vibes to family and friends of the victim of the weekend accident... that zone is gnarly for sure. As someone who has skied with my brother for many years, it's hard to imagine watching him fall off a 220 ft cliff in front of me. Ugh.

East MF Coast 19/20.

Nice vid, Goombay.

Looks ljke someone took a tumble leading to a yard sale at 1:28, crank.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post

Looks like someone took a tumble leading to a yard sale at 1:28, crank.
    Yeah, he was looking for a ski in 2+ ft of fresh. I'd like to say I stopped to help him search, but... well, you know. Pow day and whatnot.

Man. All of these pics out of NoVT are making my best-of-the-season day on South Baldface look rather lame by comparison. Nevertheless...

The skin started off as absolute shit. The forecast from last Thursday for all snow down to 500' in Chatham NH did not verify. Up to about 1200' the snow was frozen solid. My buddy and I almost bailed. Glad we didn't, because we found about 6" of soft, very stable, 4-day-old powder with laps off of the summit for about 600'-700' of vert. These were the best turns of my season, maybe more for the terrain, scenery, and sun, than for the depth of the snow. It was a ton of fun trying to punch through patches of trees to link those big swaths of snow into a continuous run. Like skiing your way through a jigsaw puzzle.

Name:	image-025369e4-22df-4912-8681-763643c74f31.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	318605

I have never had to find a line off of a summit like Baldface, where you have options dropping off of ~270* of the compass. Got a bit turned around on the last run, and got cliffed out. The solid line is the one we were shooting for. The dotted line is what we "skied." It involved some downclimbing, a ton of bushwhacking, and a few - very nice! - turns.

Name:	image-77185617-dd66-43a5-8829-1c155522f2fb.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	318604

We skied the GBA glade out, which would have been very fun if the bottom half hadn't been a luge track through the trees, and made it to the cars about 15 min before dark set in. Worth it.

sweet , what a day.