Page 162 of 165 FirstFirst ... 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 LastLast
Results 4,026 to 4,050 of 4121
    I’ll take any snowflake I can get at this point but prefer the real deal in large quantities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EFB89672-E391-47A9-BDDA-3DAF4D1D3E7D.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	341547

Every one likes cutting new glades (we just finished the St Croix), but old glades need a brush saw haircut every couple years. Where the East branch joins the Wild upta Black Mountain of Maine got its biannual yesterday

Good time for that ^^ not so much for a campfire. Much needed rain on tap for this week. Foliage bob about 60%

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 8.58.28 AM.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	282.5 KB 
ID:	341550

Name:	20200927_092706.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	341556
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Probably not the worst thing. I'm suddenly tempted to sit for the Vermont bar exam.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

This classic movie is suddenly very relevant again

Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post

Name:	EFB89672-E391-47A9-BDDA-3DAF4D1D3E7D.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	341547

Every one likes cutting new glades (we just finished the St Croix), but old glades need a brush saw haircut every couple years. Where the East branch joins the Wild upta Black Mountain of Maine got its biannual yesterday
    I'm gonna snake that line from you on a powdah day! I'll buy you a beer in return.

Thoughts to the families of those hurt and killed as well as SAR.

3 die in climbing accidents in White Mountains.

Sounds good jack straw this is the winter I need to ski with more mags and you are on the list

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Sounds good jack straw this is the winter I need to ski with more mags and you are on the list
    Yeah man! We've seen each other twice on the rock pile, but no turns together. We gotta make it happen for sure.

Maybe we can all rent Subarus!

50` and breezy bob, heavy rain and lots of leaf loss marks the passing of peak foliage. With leaf season at least a week ahead of schedule the community-dayscenic lift rides on gatehouse??? will be stick season views this year. Time for The Pigeon and his AZ pals to start quarantining if they want to come for the weekend. 7-14 days of virtual house arrest for the whole family to comply, good luck with that.
    Looks like Goniff has slipped into the yellow again, vibes. 7 weeks to lifts spinning!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Looks like Goniff has slipped into the yellow again, vibes. 7 weeks to lifts spinning!
    ???

Look a little farther south. His county has a lower count than Bennington County. Although given the lower VT numbers, maybe the 'similar active caseload' figure should be dropped to closer to 200/million instead of the current 400/million.

I just put the bush as my single resort on the ikon pass assurance thing.
    Like betting against the home team.

Has anyone here skied the catamount trail from Lincoln gap down towards Warren? Can you make turns or is it survival skiing? After skinning the road.
    I have this dream of starting up there and taking the catamount trail down to the intersection of german flats and 17. You have to cross the golf course I know.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

I only took a quick glance and thought Goniff was in a bad county, he just needs to stay out of the office.

The Catamount from LG 2 teh GC is best suited for cross country equipment or some Voille fishscales, lots of up and down with nothing exciting for skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Thoughts to the families of those hurt and killed as well as SAR.

3 die in climbing accidents in White Mountains.
    1 was a hiker who fell.

The rumney climbing death was due to the climber fashioning a harness out of kayak tie down webbing and a leather (I believe) belt because he forgot his harness at home.

The truly tragic one is the Canon death, dislodged rock chopped followers rope and they fell.

Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    The rumney climbing death was due to the climber fashioning a harness out of kayak tie down webbing and a leather (I believe) belt because he forgot his harness at home.
    Jeezus...sometimes you just gotta turn around and head home. Not to speak ill of the dead (and vibes to his friends and family) but I'm glad I was never in avy terrain with somebody that makes decisions like that.

dude was supposedly offered a real harness by a few different parties but had decided that his makeshift one was fine. it's still sad but it doesn't rise to the same level of tragedy as people who were making good decisions in the mountains that are cut down by nature's whim*. if he had cracked a freedom of the hills at any time since the first edition he may have realized too that it's super easy to make one of these with a sling that's usually in every kit (maybe not sport climbers at rumney though):

* it doesn't matter much to SAR I suppose who have to do the recoveries. that must be truly awful.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

^^^swami belt!

Anyone ever try those things, even if just for roping up for glacier travel, etc. ? I did when I was younger and counted every fucking gram. Even then I realized it was a sling to snarl your BALLZ in.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    Anyone ever try those things, even if just for roping up for glacier travel, etc. ? I did when I was younger and counted every fucking gram. Even then I realized it was a sling to snarl your BALLZ in.

It's how I learned to climb. Probably 14 years old (early 80s) and the local rec center had a climbing and caving summer program. Also learned to body belay. We had a blast. Really limited hardware, just rope, webbing, and a few biners. We climbed in chuck Taylor's or barefoot. Pretty surprising looking back that they allowed a guy named Trip to take a bunch of kids out and do that. Looking at my gear room now I've clearly moved to the more gear is better camp than those frugal early days. I do love my offset friends!

Flounder - if you're looking for more things to spend money on, blow up the budget on some totems. they are a dream in offset placements. I have consumed all the koolaid on those things, a real gamechanger. I like them so much i got rid of all my c4's under 3.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

That harness mishap guy sounds like a stubborn fuck, sad but avoidable by not relying on an odd cobbed together tool. On the other hand reading the story about the falling rock cutting that guys rope was heartbreaking, just a random mishap resulting in death. RIP

On bush news, it seems they have almost gotten caught up with trail mowing which is a promising sign for touring if snowmaking falls short this year. And the snow not having to cover 3-4' of weeds on natural snow trails.

Leaf fall has opened up my view of Lincoln Peak again
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

I did outdoor education in high school a few semesters. Every semester the instructor had us make a real swami belt (wrap a rope or webbing a bunch of times around your waist), a sling harness like the above photo, and then have us rappel off a second floor porch. He also taught us how to body belay and rappel and rappel with just carabiners. I’ve used everything he taught on many occasions in mountains and on glaciers, they are good tools to have when needed.

I used a swami belt a time or two for glacier travel when I lived in Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    On bush news, it seems they have almost gotten caught up with trail mowing which is a promising sign for touring if snowmaking falls short this year. And the snow not having to cover 3-4' of weeds on natural snow trails.
    Does that include the Slide Brook lift line?