Page 158 of 165 FirstFirst ... 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 ... LastLast
Results 3,926 to 3,950 of 4121
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Yes, I think they will. I can’t believe that upstaters that live along the border are following the rules currently, not to mention second home owners. Don’t you guys think that VT will drop the quarantine requirements by December 1? Also, what is the current rule for VT residents that travel outside the state? I have been driving back and forth to Albany almost every week this summer and I always see at least 5 or 6 green plates on the thruway. Are all those people supposedly quarantining when they return home? Seems unlikely.
    I guess we should just post this link on every page as it gives all the info on the travel restrictions/guidelines - https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/re...s-state-travel

From the webpage:

Vermont Residents
    -Vermonters may travel outside of Vermont to counties across the Northeast including New England; New York; Pennsylvania; Ohio; New Jersey; Delaware; Maryland; Washington, D.C.; Virginia; and West Virginia that have a similar active COVID-19 caseload to Vermont (defined as less than 400 active cases per million) and return without quarantining if they do so in a personal vehicle.
    -Vermonters must remember to follow any travel restrictions and quarantine requirements for the states they plan to visit.
    -If they travel to a quarantine county or outside of the Northeast (including New England; New York; Pennsylvania; Ohio; New Jersey; Delaware; Maryland; Washington, D.C.; Virginia; and West Virginia), Vermonters will be required to quarantine in Vermont upon return. Read more about quarantining at the Vermont Department of Health website.

Non-Vermont Residents
    -Residents of other states who live in counties across the Northeast including New England; New York; Pennsylvania; Ohio; New Jersey; Delaware; Maryland; Washington, D.C.; Virginia; and West Virginia that have a similar active COVID-19 caseload to Vermont (defined as less than 400 active cases per million) may enter the state for leisure travel without quarantining if they do so in a personal vehicle.
    -Residents of other states who live in a quarantine county or are from any other state outside of the Northeast (including New England; New York; Pennsylvania; Ohio; New Jersey; Delaware; Maryland; Washington, D.C.; Virginia; and West Virginia), must follow quarantine guidelines:
    -Travelers arriving to Vermont in a personal vehicle, may complete either a 14-day quarantine or a 7-day quarantine followed by a negative test in their home state and enter Vermont without further quarantine restrictions.
    -Travelers arriving to Vermont via public transportation (plane, train, bus) or from further than a direct car ride would allow may complete either a 14-day quarantine or a 7-day quarantine followed by a negative test in a Vermont lodging establishment or with friends and family (travelers must stay in their quarantine location for the duration of quarantine other than to travel to and from a test site).

Read more about quarantining at the Vermont Department of Health website.

All out of state travelers utilizing lodging, camping and short-term rental properties in Vermont must sign and complete a Certificate of Compliance or affirm a compliance statement via a digital check box at the time of reservation and check-in to attest that they meet the quarantine requirement, have traveled from a county with similar active COVID-19 caseload per the Vermont Agency of Commerce and Community Development, or are an essential/authorized worker.

All out of state travelers are strongly encouraged to register with Sara Alert upon arrival to Vermont to get two weeks of daily reminders to check for common symptoms of COVID-19.

For example, Goniff lives in a green county in upstate NY. He was able to come visit VT for the weekend without a quarantine period. If he lived in a yellow or red county, he would be required to quarantine. That means that any visitors from yellow/red counties should NOT be making day trips. Yes there will be assholes that just love Vermont to death (almost literally) and will visit anyway, but they should not.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Don't understand? I'm calling BS. They understand and they knowingly break the rules now. Hell, they talk about it on WEEI (now that I live in Cow Hampshire I can get that station). It's going to be an interesting year at the big resorts. I'm predicting huge outbreaks at Killington, Stratton, Sugarbush, and Stowe because the peeps that shelled out the big bucks for their "right" to ski are gonna do it, everybody else be damned.

That's why we can't have nice things in this country. Errybody is entitled... we suck.<end rant>
    Call me a pessimist but I think you're spot on. Tourists have been ignoring the travel guidelines here all summer and that certainly won't change come winter. Ski season got cut short back in March and people are going to come here to ski no matter what. Skiers with office jobs now have more flexible, work from anywhere schedules and they'll be skiing for all the reasons you mentioned.

Numbers have been low in VT all summer here despite tourists because everyone is outside. Come winter, people will be crammed in lodges, hotels, communal ski houses, shops and maybe restaurants. I don't see how there won't be outbreaks at the big resorts.

Sugarbush's website asks people to abide by the state's travel restrictions and the same day they send out an email telling everyone to "book your Sugarbush getaway now while prices are low!" I just saw an Instragram ad from Stowe for booking weddings. Those ads aren't directed at Vermonters.

People want to ski and resorts want to make $$ and it won't end well.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Call me a pessimist but I think you're spot on. Tourists have been ignoring the travel guidelines here all summer and that certainly won't change come winter. Ski season got cut short back in March and people are going to come here to ski no matter what. Skiers with office jobs now have more flexible, work from anywhere schedules and they'll be skiing for all the reasons you mentioned.

Numbers have been low in VT all summer here despite tourists because everyone is outside. Come winter, people will be crammed in lodges, hotels, communal ski houses, shops and maybe restaurants. I don't see how there won't be outbreaks at the big resorts.

Sugarbush's website asks people to abide by the state's travel restrictions and the same day they send out an email telling everyone to "book your Sugarbush getaway now while prices are low!" I just saw an Instragram ad from Stowe for booking weddings. Those ads aren't directed at Vermonters.

People want to ski and resorts want to make $$ and it won't end well.
    I'm on this pessimistic side of things as well. But, lately it seems like it's more 'realistic' than 'pessimistic' unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Yes, I think they will. I can’t believe that upstaters that live along the border are following the rules currently, not to mention second home owners. Don’t you guys think that VT will drop the quarantine requirements by December 1? Also, what is the current rule for VT residents that travel outside the state? I have been driving back and forth to Albany almost every week this summer and I always see at least 5 or 6 green plates on the thruway. Are all those people supposedly quarantining when they return home? Seems unlikely.
    Early guidance was Vermonters could cross borders daily for essential work. Other than that, a trip to a red county requires quarantine when you return to vt.

Novel idea, ski local/ instate this winter. Sure you’ll miss a few powder days, maybe not rack up the vert/days or the gnar, but you can pat yourself on the back and Be able to say “I supported my local hills and didn’t Potentially spread a virus to another community or get it from a ski trip.” I can assure you and your family will not be worse skiers because your family couldn’t ski Jay for the three days following xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    There’s no real teeth to the travel rules. If there are enough complaints (like millinocket, Sunday River Brewery, the Rutvegas gym) an AG can step in and pull licenses, but then they get tied up in court. So in theory is a ski area was known to cater to or disregard out of state Travel the state in theory could close the ski area, which IMO would be highly unlikely.

The best that we can hope for is people to take the best socially and community minded Avenue and not travel from “hot” zones to ski. I’m fairly certain that the first powder day (if we get to that point) is going to be bonkers with people not following guidelines.
    Why would a state government closing ski areas be "highly unlikely"? Happened last March. Will probably happen again this winter, if Rutland and Burlington (double whammy with college) get real sick. Most of those residents don't ski, but a lot need the winter ski business to survive, so, we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Why would a state government closing ski areas be "highly unlikely"? Happened last March. Will probably happen again this winter, if Rutland and Burlington (double whammy with college) get real sick. Most of those residents don't ski, but a lot need the winter ski business to survive, so, we'll see.
    Could definitely happen again this winter, but I think it would have to be very apparent that ski areas were the vectors of a significant surge/spread. Like you suggest, it seems like the political will and population's tolerance for measures like mandated closures will be much lower than it was last March. No matter what it's going to be a mess.

I think a number of people here are not picking up on the successful (if slow) reopening trends that have been occurring in VT and surrounding areas. Think of the milestones: reopening VT to out of state travelers, reopening restaurants, bars, lodging, colleges and now primary schools. Each of these could have seen cases spike. Yes, there have been isolated incidents and outbreaks, but the statistics that drive the decisions have all been positive (nation leading in fact) and thus opening the “spigot” has continued. Governor Scott has specially said that if the stats remain positive post-college and primary school opening (and the Labor Day weekend) that restrictions would be further eased by foliage season. Granted, this can all go sideways, but so far so good. And this is because people - the majority of people - know the protocols and follow the protocols. And thus the numbers - the positivity number being the most important - have stayed down. I believe this will continue and the restrictions will be further eased by ski season.

At which point we can all focus on storm tracks and accumulations....

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    I think a number of people here are not picking up on the successful (if slow) reopening trends that have been occurring in VT and surrounding areas. Think of the milestones: reopening VT to out of state travelers, reopening restaurants, bars, lodging, colleges and now primary schools. Each of these could have seen cases spike. Yes, there have been isolated incidents and outbreaks, but the statistics that drive the decisions have all been positive (nation leading in fact) and thus opening the “spigot” has continued. Governor Scott has specially said that if the stats remain positive post-college and primary school opening (and the Labor Day weekend) that restrictions would be further eased by foliage season. Granted, this can all go sideways, but so far so good. And this is because people - the majority of people - know the protocols and follow the protocols. And thus the numbers - the positivity number being the most important - have stayed down. I believe this will continue and the restrictions will be further eased by ski season.

At which point we can all focus on storm tracks and accumulations....
    It's warm right now. Even foliage season can have restaraunts and bars outside. When it gets cold, Vermont cold, all bets are off.

It’s highly unlikely because litigation and social discord appear to be in place to keep businesses open as opposed to closing them. I believe Scott will maybe politely ask or even recommend closure, until it becomes very widespread like every school has 30% Covid tested kids widespread.

It’s highly unlikely because litigation and social discord appear to be in place to keep businesses open as opposed to closing them. I believe Scott will maybe politely ask or even recommend closure, until it becomes very widespread like every school has 30% Covid tested kids widespread.
    I know this is a skiing forum, but you have to step back and look at it all from the perspective of the non to maybe a few days a year skier, with young kids and older relatives. They are tons more concerned about their kids education and emotional well being and their parents health than whether or not we get pow days. My guess is that a ton of people in Vermont not directly connected to the industry would be pretty happy if the assholes from NJ in their X3s never show up all season. They'll roll the dice on their kids education, though, especially since the kids are, generally, pretty safe.

I know this is a skiing forum, but you have to step back and look at it all from the perspective of the non to maybe a few days a year skier, with young kids and older relatives. They are tons more concerned about their kids education and emotional well being and their parents health than whether or not we get pow days. My guess is that a ton of people in Vermont not directly connected to the industry would be pretty happy if the assholes from NJ in their X3s never show up all season. They'll roll the dice on their kids education, though, especially since the kids are, generally, pretty safe.

We can hope this happens, however from my experience in VT, ME, and others going NH this has not been the case.

without school sports (basketball, indoor soccer, etc) anchoring families to their hometowns and taking up all their time, skiing could face a resurgence. That’s good for the virus, not good for humans.

I heard that there were 10 million more rounds of golf played in the NYC metro area this July as opposed to last July. The announcers were touting it as a "golf resurgence"; a sport that has been dying for years. I don't buy it. If that's the only thing they can do, they will do it but once all of the other things (whatever these people's "things" are) open back up, golf will continue down the path it was headed pre-COVID. I see the same for skiing. Skier days will likely go up this year, not down....

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    without school sports (basketball, indoor soccer, etc) anchoring families to their hometowns and taking up all their time, skiing could face a resurgence. That’s good for the virus, not good for humans.
    Had this conversation with a client from NYC (lives in northern NJ) today, they plan to spend more time at K this winter on weekends and even weekdays since their kids (one HS, one sophomore in college) are both at the moment at least, full time online students. Perfect shitstorm brewing imo. No epic pass for me this year with zero prospects of flying west, sticking to my home base at smuggs and planning on much more poking around in all the spots that I've been eying for years, lemonade...

Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    planning on much more poking around in all the spots that I've been eying for years, lemonade...
    You say lemonade, I say hot Lapping the forgotten.

My kids are the ? Do we ski weekends? do we skip powder days? Ski only week days after school? IDK, all I know is my asthmatic child had a cough for 12 hours (likely allergies) and per school rules she needed a Covid test.The test takes 2-7 days, school days she’ll miss. Prior to the test I filled my gas tank for a 2-7day quarantine and watched 5 people walk into the station without masks, without care for others. This me first bullshit needs to end.

You say lemonade, I say hot Lapping the forgotten.

My kids are the ? Do we ski weekends? do we skip powder days? Ski only week days after school? IDK, all I know is my asthmatic child had a cough for 12 hours (likely allergies) and per school rules she needed a Covid test.The test takes 2-7 days, school days she’ll miss. Prior to the test I filled my gas tank for a 2-7day quarantine and watched 5 people walk into the station without masks, without care for others. This me first bullshit needs to end.
    Probably a better description. Bummer for your daughter but I'm sure you'll make the best of the quarantine days with more than productive outdoor activities with her. I am definitely starting to see a more laxed attitude locally, not the norm by any means but more people maskless at the grocery stores/other retail shops lately which doesn't bode well going in to flu season. My kid, now in college, put in 75+ days riding/racing every year for the last 5+ up until last year after blowing her acl in a comp said she didn't want her epic this year because she wasn't sure how much she would ride due to a combo of her knee and the reservation system "being bullshit". Somebody here I'm sure has inside info on epic sales but my guess, down 50% or more here in VT.

I personally love the assholes who claim to have medical conditions so severe they cannot wear a mask while in public. My response is always, if your condition is so severe your exactly the most vulnerable to contract and die from Covid. They usually don't like that response. There is no medical condition where you cannot wear a mask to protect your fellow humans.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Random question, but does anyone know if the road up Ascutney is open (at the State Park gate)?

My dad wants to hike to the top tomorrow, but that seems to be a bit of a haul from the base. Can't reach anyone at the State Park phone numbers. Maybe it's my Maine area code?

Quote Originally Posted by powbmps View Post
    Random question, but does anyone know if the road up Ascutney is open (at the State Park gate)?

My dad wants to hike to the top tomorrow, but that seems to be a bit of a haul from the base. Can't reach anyone at the State Park phone numbers. Maybe it's my Maine area code?
    It was open to cars three weeks ago when I was there. Should be open unless they closed the park for the season after Labor Day

Edit: They’re open until October. You should be fine

Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    Probably a better description. Bummer for your daughter but I'm sure you'll make the best of the quarantine days with more than productive outdoor activities with her. I am definitely starting to see a more laxed attitude locally, not the norm by any means but more people maskless at the grocery stores/other retail shops lately which doesn't bode well going in to flu season. My kid, now in college, put in 75+ days riding/racing every year for the last 5+ up until last year after blowing her acl in a comp said she didn't want her epic this year because she wasn't sure how much she would ride due to a combo of her knee and the reservation system "being bullshit". Somebody here I'm sure has inside info on epic sales but my guess, down 50% or more here in VT.

My daughters a champ, and can roll with the punches. She absolutely loves school, and being out of it is crushing, but she pulls up her boots each morning, gives me a hug, and says “another dadddy date!” . My son told me the other day when strolling through some woods in Worcester “dad, we should remember this, it is a great hill. You could ski this, and I’ll build a trail with my sled for you, so you don’t have to ski with others.” Fuck Covid.

ACL, school, reservations that’s tough, I wouldn’t buy a pass either. As a person that has torn an MCL and PCL, meadow skipping, light touring, and x-c scratches the itch, the key is just get outdoors, youth is on her side.

My daughters a champ, and can roll with the punches. She absolutely loves school, and being out of it is crushing, but she pulls up her boots each morning, gives me a hug, and says “another dadddy date!” . My son told me the other day when strolling through some woods in Worcester “dad, we should remember this, it is a great hill. You could ski this, and I’ll build a trail with my sled for you, so you don’t have to ski with others.” Fuck Covid.

ACL, school, reservations that’s tough, I wouldn’t buy a pass either. As a person that has torn an MCL and PCL, meadow skipping, light touring, and x-c scratches the itch, the key is just get outdoors, youth is on her side.
    Sounds like it and seems like your son is wise beyond his years. My MCL rupture was in my head for a few seasons after it happened, took a while to regain confidence that it wasn't going to pop again. Still feel the scar tissue tweak occasionally 7yrs later, happened yesterday actually.

My kid used to live/breathe riding, rain, cold, ice didn't deter her, she would be out at least a few nights after school and both weekend days, usually racing. College life and being at school (for now anyway) in CT will keep her from truly testing the knee too much, covid just adds another hurdle to getting her riding confidence back this season.

I need to get in to xc this season. Good exercise trying to keep up with the Peruvian clan and great prep for what looks like many more uphill days than lift served. This is one of my new playground spots for this season, private land and fairly certain it is far enough off the beaten path that it gets no other traffic.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200919_085745.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	340734

So this happened ... 160' vert leg burner Can I count as Day 1?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	75846CE5-CB33-46A8-8AE5-36389F372EC6.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	632.2 KB 
ID:	340806
    (Unfortunately not true)

Name:	B38578BD-D497-4DDB-AE2B-D41FC71141CB.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	495.4 KB 
ID:	340803

Name:	0475A340-C109-4378-9809-A5E9B8436BE9.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	605.2 KB 
ID:	340805

Ha! I was there too this morning (well, yesterday now... Saturday). I put the following on Killingtonzone...

So, do summer turns count towards the season that is ending or the season that is starting? While this isn't anything extreme, I believe it is the only lift served skiing in North America at the moment. Additionally, it was my first time ever skiing in the summer and the first chance we've had to ski in the COVID era. Besides having to wear a mask, it really wasn't that different than pre-COVID times. Also, skiing is quite possibly the most natural mask-wearing activity. Anyway, here are some pictures and a contender for Jerry of the Day!

Name:  IMG_1644.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  174.5 KBName:  IMG_1647.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  246.1 KBName:  IMG_1649.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  182.9 KBName:  IMG_1651.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  153.9 KBName:  IMG_1652.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  210.7 KBName:  IMG_1655.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  165.1 KB
    I'm gonna rip the shit out of this...
    Name:  IMG_1658.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  183.8 KB

Because rich has nothing to do with money.