Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ski boot stiffness....

Quandary - I got a good deal on some Salomon s/max 130 carbon and pulled the trigger.... then immediately questioned whether I’d overbought boots.

I’m coming from ghost 120 cs, which never felt too stiff. On some (warmer) days I wished they were a bit stiffer even.

I’m no kind of racer, but I’m the best skier on the mountain when yetiman isn’t around. Weigh 150-160. Prefer crud/ungroomed.

The boots themselves fit ok. They need to be molded, but I’m confident after doing the CS thing they’ll be money as to fit.

If I was doing it over I’d get the s/pro 120 (I know, totally different last) with the heaters, because I’m old and my toes get cold (reynaud’s). But anything has to be warmer than the fucking ghosts.

So, overthinking? Just ski ‘em? Sell them?
    focus.

If they're too stiff, get em cut.

Simple solution. Any bootfitter should be able to do that.

What size are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    What size are they?
    focus.

Ski boot stiffness....

I have a Salomon Xmax 130 I would consider trading. Good shape, not used much, 3-4 days iirc. The black ones. Pretty sure they’re the same mold. Definitely a softer boot.

Try/Sell that thing before you mod it imo, I want that boot for exactly the reason you don’t and I’m sure I’m not the only one. 190lbs.

Also just noticed the skimonster.com has a set of the same model 25.5 Xmax for $200 and they’re a great shop.
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 10-26-2019 at 06:02 PM.

I think you're going to be fine. You ski fast on hard snow...stiff boots make sense.

Try/Sell that thing before you mod it imo, I want that boot for exactly the reason you don’t and I’m sure I’m not the only one. 190lbs.
    I’ll def try before modding. I’m just holding off on heating/CS until yetiman tells me I’m man enough to ski them.

Now that I have that I’ll bake away....
    focus.

(Jk)Will be curious to hear how they ski.

Can't you just remove one of the "rivets" (that's actually a bolt)? That'll soften it, and it's about a 20 second process to undo if you don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Can't you just remove one of the "rivets" (that's actually a bolt)? That'll soften it, and it's about a 20 second process to undo if you don't like it.
    Not obviously, no. Not on these. There’s a stiff/soft flippy thing that basically accomplishes that, though.

I don’t know that they’re too stiff, so I’m not there yet. Just no sense putting any miles on them at all if they don’t make any sense. I’m gonna throw these babies in the oven, though, and give them a whirl.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    No no no. that is NOT the way you soften a boot. The cuff of the boot is connected to the clog by three points, side hinges and the bolt on the spine. removing one is like removing a leg from a three legged stool. Not good. If there are two bolts, removing one is not going to make any difference in flex at all.
    Click. Point. Chute.

The smax 130 carbon is pretty ducking stiff to be honest. Yes your boots can be too stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    The smax 130 carbon is pretty ducking stiff to be honest. Yes your boots can be too stiff.
    Or Flexon Phil, whoever has tried these-
    How would it compare in stiffness to say a cir 2014 Nordica Patron, Garmont Shaman / whatever Scott namer that boot, etc— the stiffer 130s freeride boots of 5-6+ years ago?

With the S/Max 130 Carbon, Salomon went from having one of the softer 130 flex consumer boots (X Max 130) to perhaps the stiffest. I tried it on when they showed up last year and couldn't flex it at room temperature (170 lbs). This is with my larger than average lower leg and calf, so they didn't have much overlap, either.

The regular S/Max 130 was more reasonable (still stiff by 130 standards), but I didn't care for white (it's black this year). The 120 feels like some of the other "130" boots in my collection with walk modes.

Thanks gregL. Are they the same mold / fit from the Xmax series? Love that fit. Called Salomon cs to ask and the person I spoke with didn’t sound too certain either way.

Salomon needs to completely rethink the way they’ve named their boots in the past few years. It’s impossible to remember the model names.

These are stiff boots, but they do have the chip thingy and that will change them. I'm not a large human l but can't move them at room temp while most 130's I can. They also have removable cuff bolts so they can easily be modified to be softer by making deeper cuts in the lower clog. I have to disagree with Flexonphil here, anytime you change the number of connection points it will alter the rigidity of the connection. If a boot has two bolts in the back removing one of the bolts will alter the flex... but only slightly, most reps will tell you 10% but I don't think its that generic of an outcome. The stiffness of the plastic will alter the affect of 1 bolt vs 2 bolts so in some boots you will notice the difference more others.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Thanks gregL. Are they the same mold / fit from the Xmax series? Love that fit. Called Salomon cs to ask and the person I spoke with didn’t sound too certain either way.

Salomon needs to completely rethink the way they’ve named their boots in the past few years. It’s impossible to remember the model names.
    Amer CS people are most likely not skiers. Sometimes you get one that knows their shit but i wouldn't expect it. If someone can explain why the Max boots are the smaller last and the Pro boots are the bigger last that would would be great...
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Smax and Xmax are not the same last. The Smax definitely has a higher instep.

Softening a boot is easy.

If you think a little boot work will make the Smax fit you, the Spro is definitely way too roomy for you. I guarantee it.

Thanks gregL. Are they the same mold / fit from the Xmax series?
    Not exactly, but still 98mm in the forefoot. The midfoot and ankle are closer to the foot and the instep is 1mm taller.

Feels significantly tighter around toes, heel, and ankle. A little more width around mid foot.

I have the smax 130s. Haven’t skied or modded them yet. I’m 6’ 185 and flex them ok at room temp. They have that piece in the back that can be flipped to change flex. I’d say on the softer setting they are still slightly stiffer than the smax 120s.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Or Flexon Phil, whoever has tried these-
    How would it compare in stiffness to say a cir 2014 Nordica Patron, Garmont Shaman / whatever Scott namer that boot, etc— the stiffer 130s freeride boots of 5-6+ years ago?
    I skied the Patron Pro and now have the S/Max 130 in my boot quiver. I find the Sally to be more responsive and reactive than the Patron was. There werecold days that I could not get our of the Nordica but never the issue with the Salomon.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    I skied the Patron Pro and now have the S/Max 130 in my boot quiver. I find the Sally to be more responsive and reactive than the Patron was. There werecold days that I could not get our of the Nordica but never the issue with the Salomon.
    Thanks. Are you on the Carbon s/Max?

Thanks. Are you on the Carbon s/Max?
    Not the uber light Carbon, the regular one.
    Click. Point. Chute.

They ski fine.

Fuck they are tight, though. Hoping a second bake cures that.
    focus.