Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hey Summit Shooting Range - Ur to loud!

Oh great...if you move near a shooting range, you will hear gun shots. the best is neighbors complaining about LEO night training. How about they dont practice?

we looked at a house oh the bluff across from the range and would have never thought of buying - due to the noise.

same w people who buy next to an air force base/air port and when the air traffic picks up, after a night deep into a box of white wine, they storm the county commissioner meeting and demand the runway be shut down.

or, after choosing to buy a house on a dirt road, one day decide they are tired of dirty cars, and since the county wont pave it, they harass everyone to sign a petition to self fund paving...mind you with misleading/incorrect financial info.

what ever happened to personal responsibility for ones actions?

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/sum...ks-complaints/
    Last edited by cycology1; 10-26-2019 at 06:14 AM. Reason: txt update

Fuck these people that don't like the reality of mountain living. We are surrounded by it. The dirt road one is real around here. A couple of second home owners with $100K SUV are trying to create a Special District in order to levy taxes to pave the roads. I know a couple families that would be challenged by the $+/-2K annually in taxes.

I'm fairly tolerant to pro tourism initiative in-fill development as that keeps the lights on around here. I draw the line at changing the way it has always been to bend the world to team yoga mom and calling it progress.

I'll take her house if she hates it that much. Being close to a decent range sounds like a positive to me.

But for the USAF base thing - fucking never move near an AF base. Especially not a big one. Most of them are EPA superfund sites with insane amounts of historic pollution and groundwater contamination, they're louder than hell, the traffic is going to be all sorts of fucked about 5am-7am and again from about 3pm-5pm. That's completely separate from the scary-ass "maintenance" done on most of their aircraft that'll lead to the gov blaming you for putting your living room where an F-16 is busy crashing.

Live near small airport, neighbor move in

Neighbor: there are a lot small plane a lot flying around

Me: yeah, pretty cool, right? See some radials, old jets (mig15, f86), few slurry bombers and avg Cessna.

Neighbor: wish I knew before I moved in

Wife: know how to read a fucking map?

Neighbor: silence, gets up for beer

lol
    watch out for snakes

I lived on or near artillery bases when I was a kid. First world problem LOL!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Fuck these people that don't like the reality of mountain living. We are surrounded by it. The dirt road one is real around here. A couple of second home owners with $100K SUV are trying to create a Special District in order to levy taxes to pave the roads. I know a couple families that would be challenged by the $+/-2K annually in taxes.

I'm fairly tolerant to pro tourism initiative in-fill development as that keeps the lights on around here. I draw the line at changing the way it has always been to bend the world to team yoga mom and calling it progress.
    is this related to the LID (improvement district) in Breck/Peak 7? i live in the hood and jerks actually succeed in getting it on the ballot. of course they had misleading financial info on petition and signatures were not fully verified by county...

jgb@etree Guest
    Similar drama around the range at my gun club in suburban CT. Range was established in 1924 in the middle of farmland. Suburban sprawl encroached over the years, but the neighbors knew what they were getting into when they moved in and there were never any issues. About 10 years ago, a developer built a street that basically runs along side the rifle range at a distance of ~100 yards. Within 2 years, a couple of homeowners on that street start losing their shit over the noise. They started making bullshit claims like there were militia groups training there, so we had to accommodate them and ban rapid fire and human shaped targets. Then they started claiming they were finding bullets laying in their yard, but could never produce evidence. Eventually they started trying to leverage the town noise ordinance against the club to get it shut down. About 5 years ago one of those neighbors 'borrowed' some sophisticated noise measuring machine from his job at Sikorsky and was attempting to use that to log the sound and prove the club was too loud. Somehow a member who was a bigwig at Sikorsky got wind of the deal, and the clown got fired from his job for stealing that piece of equipment. I heard the house was sold in a foreclosure sale a couple years later. Later, dickhead.

For those wanting to pave roads in mountain country - just remember, you can't grade a paved road. Most forestry roads I know never support good paved caps due to poorly constructed sub grades. That's the elephant cost no one wants to see in a paving contract. But ya, most dirt roads servicing private development could get graded more often, it just a matter of some form of funding model. If the regional district or whatever zoning you have won't collect/allocate taxes to do it, it's up to the users to form a coalition to fund it.

In my little slice of heaven the local range is 8 minutes from my house. On one side of the valley the range is easily heard while on mtn bike rides/hiking etc. Whenever I hear the noise and am with someone, I say "do you hear that? do you know what that sound is?" they of course say "what is it?". To which I answer "the sound of freedom" and continue the adventure. When a quarter of the towns population are members of the Rod and Gun Club maybe things are easier?

That Sikorsky story from above is awesome.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    Live near small airport, neighbor move in

Neighbor: there are a lot small plane a lot flying around

Me: yeah, pretty cool, right? See some radials, old jets (mig15, f86), few slurry bombers and avg Cessna.

Neighbor: wish I knew before I moved in

Wife: know how to read a fucking map?

Neighbor: silence, gets up for beer
    May be going out on a limb here but your wife sounds pretty awesome.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I just call summit county "boulder lite" now

Sent from my SM-J737V using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    To which I answer "the sound of freedom"
    You think that one up yourself?

It's not uncommon to hear gunshots a couple times a week, usually in the middle of the night. Closest range is about 15 miles away. Rarely hear sirens or see anything on the news unless there are bodies in the street. Only call the cops when it's definitely less than a block away and followed by lots of screaming and crying. Otherwise, just make sure everyone inside and pets are OK and go back to bed. Definitely "the sound of freedom"..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

The people complaining about the range... Will they complain about US6 which is way fucking louder for them and remains so at night?

Whiney little bitches...
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    You think that one up yourself?
    I'm the first person I heard say it, so maybe? Remember I'm in Canuckistan and the sound of continuous gunfire isn't common like the Excited States of America and as a firearms enthusiast I feel it normalizes an activity that that some people find scary or offensive. You know, like beating an animal to death with a sledgehammer.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

In our new neighborhood, shooting is legal if you own 5 acres or greater so of course, some have shooting ranges and gunfire is part of the deal. Where we previously lived, it was gangsters doing drive-bys and retaliation, 3 shooting deaths a year within a mile of us. I'll take my gun rights neighbors any day over what we experienced in south Seattle. Do have a few clowns who ride quads in the woods & shoot but they're now known and land-owners are taking away their access. A tight neighborhood that's armed is a damn safe place to be.

JUST CITIOT FUCKTARDS WHO LIVE IN DENVER AND HAVE 2ND HOMES IN GAPESTONE. OMG GUNNNSSS!!!!!!!! GO FUCK YOURSELF. THIS JUST IN, IF YOU LIVE NEAR OTHERS YOU'LL HEAR SOUNDS YOU MAY OR MAY NOT LIKE. I SUGGEST HAVING A .40 CAL FOR BREAKFAST.
    Hey d-bag - here's something for you to think about: maybe (just maybe) not everybody here has their little panties in a wad 24/7 and flies into a rage whenever somebody disagrees with them. Maybe these same mags don't take this place uber-seriously. Maybe this even includes the vast majority of the people who post here as opposed to you and like 20 other thin-skinned douchebags. Just something to think about. -JER

Quote Originally Posted by JONG SLAUGHTER View Post
    JUST CITIOT FUCKTARDS WHO LIVE IN DENVER AND HAVE 2ND HOMES IN GAPESTONE. OMG GUNNNSSS!!!!!!!! GO FUCK YOURSELF. THIS JUST IN, IF YOU LIVE NEAR OTHERS YOU'LL HEAR SOUNDS YOU MAY OR MAY NOT LIKE. I SUGGEST HAVING A .40 CAL FOR BREAKFAST.
    bask in the glory, for he hath returned
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

You ever been to a gun range. These are the safest and kindest places on earth. You should be so lucky to live next to a gun range. Think of the safety benefit.
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    I just call summit county "boulder lite" now

Sent from my SM-J737V using TGR Forums mobile app
    Fkn shithole bro
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    I'm the first person I heard say it, so maybe? Remember I'm in Canuckistan and the sound of continuous gunfire isn't common like the Excited States of America and as a firearms enthusiast I feel it normalizes an activity that that some people find scary or offensive. You know, like beating an animal to death with a sledgehammer.
    Excuse me, but it was a maul.

I realized one day that I think I can hear gunshots at my house. I live near downtown Missoula, and I think faint sound waves from the Sunday morning trap club in East Mo were landing in my yard by whatever physics lesson.
    I thought it was interesting.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I used to live about 10 miles from Ft Lewis. Every so often they would have artillery practice. Now THAT was the sound of freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    I used to live about 10 miles from Ft Lewis. Every so often they would have artillery practice. Now THAT was the sound of freedom.
    pfffft.... you ain't heard the sound o' freedom till you done sat under a B-52 taking off at full power, loaded with 12 nuclear advanced cruise missiles and just enough fuel to make it half way around the world to the launch point of war two times every single goddamn day for 30 fucking years.

Griffiss Air Force Base, Rome NY.

Seriously though, I do not miss having nuclear bombs flying directly over my every fucking day....

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    pfffft.... you ain't heard the sound o' freedom till you done sat under a B-52 taking off at full power, loaded with 12 nuclear advanced cruise missiles and just enough fuel to make it half way around the world to the launch point of war two times every single goddamn day for 30 fucking years.

Griffiss Air Force Base, Rome NY.

Seriously though, I do not miss having nuclear bombs flying directly over my every fucking day....
    At another time in my life, I lived a few miles from Offut AFB, which was. SAC HQ, just outside Omaha Neb.

My Dad was a “Tech Rep” for Boeing, which is like a. “field applications engineer”. He would advise the Air Force on things like the max load limits for take-offs and dives and other such maneuvers using their new jet bombers.

Then the Air Force would run their own trials to see how much they could push beyond those limits. Several times I remember seeing black columns of smoke rising from the end of one of the runways, when the hard limit was established.