Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    BVSC is on the Grand County border. So you want to put a public range up north of Silverthorne and make it longer, say 300 yards... who is gonna pay for 10-20 acres of land that has adequate terrain, backstop, and nothing important beyond it, build the range, facilities, parking, and possibly road... oh year no existing neighbors to complain and sue?
    exactly. Would this spot be less convenient for users? The amount of range users might eclipse the current amount of noise complainers, and any such displacement might rally other dissent.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    BVSC is on the Grand County border. So you want to put a public range up north of Silverthorne and make it longer, say 300 yards... who is gonna pay for 10-20 acres of land that has adequate terrain, backstop, and nothing important beyond it, build the range, facilities, parking, and possibly road... oh year no existing neighbors to complain and sue?
    Those people raised 100k to fight a gravel pit I imagine they will do the same for a shooting range

Sent from my SM-J737V using TGR Forums mobile app

Tough subject.

In Bozone Montucky there is a really nice place to recreate that used to allow target shooting. After numerous close calls and hauling tons of shot to shit things out the USFS banned target shooting to the entire drainage. You can hunt, just no more mad minutes. There was a lot of angry shooters.

3 years ago the local mountain bike club began working to build a trail system about 30 miles west of town on BLM land. It has been a long range shooting area for just about ever. You could find safe places to shoot up to 1000 yds and greater. The comment period came and went and the BLM gave the go ahead and the trail system was built. Then the pissed off locals started to understand what it meant. Too late.

People still shoot there but it isn't the free for all it once was and there are no more shot up appliances and shit like that. But there is still demand for additional places to shoot and especially long range. The USFS put out a call to shooters to organize and develop a new place to shoot, instead they got all kinds of, "fuck those people we will shoot where ever we want this here is Murica."

One big sticking point for the USFS and BLM is that they will not accept the liability for the lead contamination that occurs are shooting ranges, thus the need for the local shooters to organize and deal with it. There is already a pretty good range west of town but to use it you must join the NRA and it is usually crowded.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"