Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    My god I'm easily influenced. My tv is old but I was ok with it. Reading this thread now has me thinking..

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    A million years ago when I had a part time job at Circuit City, we used to adjust the tv’s that had the highest margin to look the best.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Funny thing is I asked the TV dept guy about the adjustments and how they set the TV's up and he remarked they are all set to standard factory recommended settings. They definitely did not have that one set juiced up. But ya, who knows for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large
    So how much is a nice 65’ oled vs a 65 lcd?

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    So how much is a nice 65’ oled vs a 65 lcd?
    Plan for at least 500-1000 more. 65 oled is typically in the 2k+ range, but I have to assume that's coming down this xmas season.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    good website for this:

https://www.rtings.com/tv
    This was my bible when I was shopping for a new TV. I was shopping on the low-mid range and it was nice to see the specific technical differences between similar models from the same company.

I got a 65" 6 series tcl for about 650 from best buy after a ton of research. It beats out tvs close to 2x the price and has an awesome interface. That said we use our apple tv as our streaming base. Gaming, streaming and screen mirroring is a great experience

Sent from my SM-G973U using TGR Forums mobile app

Our living room Samsung is now up to about 6 tiny vertical lines. seems like every week or so another one shows up. Time to start looking at a replacement, 60-65 inch range. One benefit of getting old, failing eyesight makes the $400 TV look just as good as the $1400 TV. All I really look for is the right number of HDMI jacks and RCA audio out for my ancient but banging JVC 7.1 home theater system.... But will get Roku ready to reduce the need for one HDMI. Already got a LAN cable from the router ready for the next TV, Got one of those 50" TCLs in the bedroom. WiFi streaming is OK but thinking a LAN direct cat 5 would stream even better.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Funny thing is I asked the TV dept guy about the adjustments and how they set the TV's up and he remarked they are all set to standard factory recommended settings. They definitely did not have that one set juiced up. But ya, who knows for sure.
    I worked at Circuit City for a few months when between full time gigs back in the day and we totally gave a little extra effort to push the stuff that we got better comp for selling. Pushing the stuff on promotion definitely happens. But if they're not any commissions or other extra compensation probably not..

I wasn't happy with the longevity of Samsung. A friend Vizio lasted over 14 years. This thing is incredible, almost too white, bright. Great picture for at least $800-1,000 less than Samsung or LG. It has good reviews too.

https://www.costco.com/vizio-65%22-c...100495141.html

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Cable signal is still mostly 720p so any 4K lcd will still look like crap with cable signal. I have a top of line Samsung LCD and it is still crap for cable compared to my 10y/o pioneer Kuro plasma.

Also. The bigger the screen the higher quality you need. We had a cheapish 75 inch Samsung and it was horrible picture. Changed to top of the line 65 inch and it’s considerably better.
    Cable as in Cable TV (like Spectrum or Comcast?) Sorry most are now a 1080i (interlaced not P) from what I know. They are also trying to move to 4K, as more content comes (remember some of their channels like local they just pick up off antenna's and are rebroadcasting the signal, so until OTA is moved up to NTSC 3.0 the 1080i is usually good enough.) Of course then there is Blu-ray movies, streaming at 4K for things like Netflix, so for the price now, might as well go 4K for future proof and not having to replace the TV at that size in a few years.

https://www.cnet.com/news/4k-1080p-2...ons-explained/

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    I wasn't happy with the longevity of Samsung. A friend Vizio lasted over 14 years. This thing is incredible, almost too white, bright. Great picture for at least $800-1,000 less than Samsung or LG. It has good reviews too.

https://www.costco.com/vizio-65%22-c...100495141.html
    I see more work orders listed for Vizio TV's on tech sites than ANY other brand out there. Also besides the fact that for a long while Vizio was selling "TVs" that were basically displays or monitors only that required either an external tuner or a computer or streaming device to "cast" the programs.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The best way I know of to compare TV's in the store is to go when there's a hockey game on, get them to play it for you, and see if you can follow the puck. Seriously. Love watching hockey on my kid's apple TV. Of course, he has a tiny living room and a big TV so that's part of it.
    Most of the TV displays have movies or prerecorded content that they play over and over at stores (as someone pointed out even TGR movies). They can't change the content at stores because they do not have cable or Satellite for each display (due to the cost) and most use a media player that stores the movie or demo content in 1080p or 4K or even 8K for a TV that handles that to show the TV in the best "light".

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    I see more work orders listed for Vizio TV's on tech sites than ANY other brand out there. Also besides the fact that for a long while Vizio was selling "TVs" that were basically displays or monitors only that required either an external tuner or a computer or streaming device to "cast" the programs.
    Maybe 20 years ago, not any more they're not. Try checking one out, read some reviews. IMO, Samsung has gotten cheap, unless you go QLED

And Benny, 720, lmfao. It's mostly 1080 if you pay for the HD. Plus the good TV's upscale

Avs forum is the TGR for techies. Lots of great info there.

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
    Avs forum is the TGR for techies. Lots of great info there.

Do they have a padded room too?

Recommend me a new tv

And Benny, 720, lmfao. It's mostly 1080 if you pay for the HD. Plus the good TV's upscale
    You mean 1080i? Lots of motion artifacts in sports, etc. and lower effective resolution. A lot of channels are 720p - ESPN, FOX, ABC, etc. All TVs upscale. Some do shitty jobs, some do good jobs. Regardless, neither good nor bad TVs will make it look like 4k, and cable has poor bitrates, which lowers effective resolution even more. But really, the most important innovation in picture quality is HDR, not 4k. Most don’t sit close enough to really benefit from 4k.

Yes, Cable TV image quality is mostly atrocious and downright unacceptable for the year 2019, but if you're just using cable on these glorious new 4K HDR TVs, then you're simply doing 4K wrong. Haha. I believe strongly that when a person finally makes the leap to a nice 4K TV, they make the small investment in a proper 4K Blu-Ray player if you REALLY want to see what your TV's capable of. I'm one of the weirdos who still believes in purchasing media, but I'm also NEVER let down by an internet connection not up to the task on a Friday night or crap broadcasting quality.

With 4K discs, even the cheapest TVs of today can look pretty darn nice with a bit of settings tweaking.

Recommend me a new tv

Comcast is 720P native and they downscale some content. 720P is HD so I'm not sure what you are laughing at. Like I said, I have a QLED and the picture sucks on anything less than 4k.

1080i is not better than 720p. It is just different use of lines

I know you may want bigger, but if 55" is acceptable, this is a stupid good TV for $399. Sale expires at midnight I believe. $100 off right now:
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-...?skuId=6204548

Might not be a bad idea to grab something like this as a temporary setup, then if you're not ultimately satisfied and you wanna step up to a bigger, higher end TV, just retire this little gem to the master bedroom.

Why the duck did all freaking TV's switch from center pedestals???? It's the stupidest move ever.

Maybe 20 years ago, not any more they're not. Try checking one out, read some reviews. IMO, Samsung has gotten cheap, unless you go QLED

Vizio was not even in business 20 years ago- founded in 2002, so not possible. The work orders I see have been recent as well as in the recent past. 2 or 3 companies put out warranty repair jobs to have a tech go troubleshoot and swap the parts at a residence under warranty. Again I do not keep track of the actual listings but can assure you more than 50% of them listed are Vizio models, a smaller percent are TCL and some Samsungs.... Vizio has finally swung back to including tuners (which may add a few dollars per model in the chips and connector any more)...

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Why the duck did all freaking TV's switch from center pedestals???? It's the stupidest move ever.
    One reason is the center pedestal has to be pretty big (wider and depth) and heavier as the TV size increases to be safe and support the larger panels. Very hard to do larger than 37 to 39 inch TV to safely be able to be supported with a center pedestal. After that measured panel size, the 2 feet mounted out a few inches from the end that add maybe 8 or 10 ounces to the weight of the TV makes for shipping savings for one. Many larger TV's end up getting hung via a wall mount anyway also.

Looking at TCL and Sanyo 4K 65". Price not all that different Owned other TCL and Sanyo and been happy with both. Anyone have a strong opinion for against either brand?

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Comcast is 720P native and they downscale some content. 720P is HD so I'm not sure what you are laughing at. Like I said, I have a QLED and the picture sucks on anything less than 4k.

1080i is not better than 720p. It is just different use of lines
    1080i is better resolution than 720p, just that the refresh is every other line each time it happens. Also many TV's now only do p (either 720 or 1080) and they have dropped all support for interlaced i. So some cable companies drop down to 720p.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    One reason is the center pedestal has to be pretty big and heavier as the TV size increases. Very hard to do larger than 37 to 39 inch TV to safely be able to be supported with a center pedestal. After than the 2 feet mounted out a few inches from the end that add maybe 8 or 10 ounces to the weight of the TV makes for shipping savings for one. Many larger TV's end up getting hung via a wall mount anyway also.
    ^^ This. Who uses the stock mounting pedestal/foot/whatever?? I have managed to stub my toe on the stock pedestal for my 65" QLED as it's just sitting on my study floor waiting to be thrown through a window because .... wall mount, so I suppose the AMDA would approve.

Apologies for the diversion; please return to geek-fest.